What's new

General/Other - Johnny Cage Whifftime! (Video inside)

Ryncage

Noob
This thread again? Sheesh.
When will you guys st- oh wait... This isnt the sz subforum.
Yeah. Inconsistent moves and hitboxes with any character is appalling and needs to be fixed asap.
Good luck on getting yours patched.

Espio

Kokomo
I love Cage, but the issue with a lot of his strings is why I don't use him anymore.

Back 3 is a mid that whiffs quite often among several others. I don't care about how good or bad a character is, I just need their tools to reliably work and I'll invest in them or at least MOST of their tools to work as they should work.

This entire game has lots of these issues across the roster, it's just annoying.

kelevra

Steel cable bungee jumper
Ok heres my take at this:
In a realistc scenario nobody is gonna block low against jc EVER. They rather eat 10 d4's than blocking low even once.
Aside from that there is absolutely no reasons for so much stuff to whiff tbh.
And Yes, 114 is the worst of all.
I just hate it when i 114 post nutpunch and dont get a skrc because i was a pixel to far away so the 4 whiffs and I eat a full combo for it.
I have way less problems with b34 tho.
As stated before this is a general problem amongst the cast tho and i dont really think theyre gonna fix stuff like this anytime soon.

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
Ok heres my take at this:
In a realistc scenario nobody is gonna block low against jc EVER. They rather eat 10 d4's than blocking low even once.
Aside from that there is absolutely no reasons for so much stuff to whiff tbh.
And Yes, 114 is the worst of all.
I just hate it when i 114 post nutpunch and dont get a skrc because i was a pixel to far away so the 4 whiffs and I eat a full combo for it.
I have way less problems with b34 tho.
As stated before this is a general problem amongst the cast tho and i dont really think theyre gonna fix stuff like this anytime soon.
They already fixed some hitbox problems, like Raiden Superman, or Jaquie random whiffs; they can do it. NRS will release a few more patches probably, there is time still time to patch this.
I notice that in the Johnny Cage community not many want to complain about anything, but the reality is that this character has serious issues and we should be vocal about them. Asking for a fix is necessary if we want this character to be competitive.

C88 Zombieekiler

Up and coming sub zero
You could use d4 more in a list d4 skrc is +6 and f3 skrc is good too but if you use sd f3 shadow uppercut or kick is decent. Also you can use fireball pressure in a list as theyre +4 but without the main strings 113 114 12 its still going to be hard :/

rafaw

#YouSuck
This is all known for sometime now, and we already got a thread to discuss this, theres some problems with mimic shadow upercut too that is not mentioned here.

But my thoughts on that matter is: this need to get fix asap, especially the 114 string, this one is used quite a bit to skrc and get a lot of + frames, but if the 4 whiffs we get nothing and can get whiff punished, 4skrc too!

The problem is not exclusive to JC, this game is really bad hitboxwise, a mids and highs should act ALLWAYS like its suposed to, the only one thats actually right is the lows.

I really dont want JC to get buffed, just fixed because this hurts him a LOT! look this 21 completely whiffing, LOL!

Killer Xinok

"Online is your forte!" - A Wise Man, 2015
Not trying to be disrespectful.. But if you guys think that JC needs buffs.. you are using him the wrong way..

Killer Xinok

A fix is different than a buff.
sorry bout that. I mean, even the fixes aren't necessary for him.. imo obviously.. Using 11 after the nut punch will make the S1 hits, the same about S4 and S3.. and if the 114 whiffs the last hit.. use S4 to gain pressure after Nut punch..

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
This is actually a good video, I can get behind the fixes to hitbox/hit level but i think the real "fix" would them to just make small hitbox characters bigger. In mk9 it was seen as an advantage if your character had a tiny hitbox, because of instant air gas blasts whiffing and stuff. Top level play and matchups are a factor when shit like this slides, and gives characters that are perfectly fine already a little competitive edge in certain matchups.

Somea2V

Thread Referee
sorry bout that. I mean, even the fixes aren't necessary for him.. imo obviously.. Using 11 after the nut punch will make the S1 hits, the same about S4 and S3.. and if the 114 whiffs the last hit.. use S4 to gain pressure after Nut punch..
While true that they do connect in certain scenarios, I think the main point in the OP is that mids are not connecting with crouch or crouch blocking characters. Also that some highs aren't connecting when the mids that come before them should assist in continuing the connection of moves. This directly affects the neutral game that gets us to our nut punches and main tools by yielding results to our actions that don't match with the games mechanics, such as mids being moves that should catch an opponent whether they crouch or stand.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
That's kind of like saying you bought a car that had mirrors in the picture but when you got it, it had no mirrors. They aren't necessary but wouldn't you want the manufacturer to put the mirrors on? A mid should hit mid.

Also, I like to use 11, S3, B3, and 114 in my game. They aren't exclusively used after a nut punch.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
So between my old post and this one, I've seen quite a few people say they dropped Johnny because of the whiffing issues among other things. I hope NRS understands that before they decide to not work on Johnny because of lack of interest in the character.

Edit: I'm just going to keep tweeting Boon and Paulo with #fixjohnnycage

Anyone wanna join? lol

Last edited:

Somea2V

Thread Referee
So between my old post and this one, I've seen quite a few people say they dropped Johnny because of the whiffing issues among other things. I hope NRS understands that before they decide to not work on Johnny because of lack of interest in the character.

Edit: I'm just going to keep tweeting Boon and Paulo with #fixjohnnycage

Anyone wanna join? lol
I don't know if possibly annoying them is the best route, but we do need to make our point known. The point about fixes, I mean.

Call me crazy, but I just don't have any hope we'll get a fix. Buffs are meh. Johnny is solid, despite every one of his tools being done better by multiple members of the cast. But as far as fixes, let's look at the facts. Johnny's been affected by only two patches (as far as I recall). One was a "fix" for whiffed hits that apparently did nothing, but it exists so that probably counts as being an addressed issue in NRS's eyes. The other is a nerf to fisticuffs, a variation used by one player in high-level play for only a portion of his tournament performance. This variation is wildly referred to as the variation-less variation, even before the nerfs. We have rhetoric on this site from people not of the Cage community that spells out tournament viability for a character in his most base form, and NRS already tipped their hand by nerfing this variation ASAP when nothing was wrong with it. DJT's performance (not to degrade him as a player, he is phenomenal) was easily influenced by a lack of match-up knowledge in his opponents, which is why after one shutout match he quickly stopped picking up "easy" wins and kept having to switch from Cage in subsequent tournament performances due to not gaining significant traction against his opponents.

So yeah, I just don't see Cage ever being addressed and only the most loyal of Cage players will continue playing this character.

Frosted 57

Reforming Lurker
I also don't understand why the last hit in 121 has a smaller hitbox than the other two, so it will whiff if done anywhere but point blank and sometimes even then. A lot of these things are frustrating, and there isn't much else to say really. Hope it gets fixed, but don't expect it to be.

rafaw

#YouSuck
The point is, a mid should act like a mid and not a high.

Killer Xinok

That's kind of like saying you bought a car that had mirrors in the picture but when you got it, it had no mirrors. They aren't necessary but wouldn't you want the manufacturer to put the mirrors on? A mid should hit mid.

Also, I like to use 11, S3, B3, and 114 in my game. They aren't exclusively used after a nut punch.
But you don't need Mirrors in your car if you have a good vision of the way ahead, and an awesome car..