What's new

Where are pros going to go after "ditiching" mk1 ?

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
These jobless bums aren't going anywhere. The "pros" can't even show up to a physical tournament for mk1, and are content streaming this piss poor game for beer money while mommy bakes a tuna casserole.

They'll jump to Only fans peddling their neckbeard fetishes before they get a real job or compete in anything beyond NRS trash.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
These jobless bums aren't going anywhere. The "pros" can't even show up to a physical tournament for mk1, and are content streaming this piss poor game for beer money while mommy bakes a tuna casserole.

They'll jump to Only fans peddling their neckbeard fetishes before they get a real job or compete in anything beyond NRS trash.
This has to be one of the most unhinged posts I've read on this site in awhile. Holy shit.

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
Ever hear of embellishment for effect? Nevertheless, I'm sure some of these content creators rather sell pics of themselves fondling My Little Pony dolls than working at the local steak n shake.

P.S Fuck You

Rude

So here's something that's been on my mind lately:

With the exception of MK9, I'm pretty sure you could still play any of NRS' other games if you want to.

The original Injustice was ported to PS4 and probably still works online. Same for I2, MKX, MK11, etc.

So if you like any of these games better, why don't you just go play them? Hell, Destroyer was running cash tournaments and fight nights for MKX all the way up until MK1's release.

You still have people to this day that play Street Fighter Super Turbo, Darkstalkers 3, UMVC3, etc.

Why don't you just go play that? Why don't you just play something you like?

You don't have to play the newest MK if you don't like it. You just don't. No one here is making EVO Grand Finals - myself included - so what is this fixation on grinding something just cause its current?

It makes no sense.

Rude

Ever hear of embellishment for effect? Nevertheless, I'm sure some of these content creators rather sell pics of themselves fondling My Little Pony dolls than working at the local steak n shake.

P.S Fuck You
These are some interesting glimpses into your fetishes, sir.

With the exception of MK9, I'm pretty sure you could still play any of NRS' other games if you want to.

The original Injustice was ported to PS4 and probably still works online. Same for I2, MKX, MK11, etc.

So if you like any of these games better, why don't you just go play them? Hell, Destroyer was running cash tournaments and fight nights for MKX all the way up until MK1's release.

You still have people to this day that play Street Fighter Super Turbo, Darkstalkers 3, UMVC3, etc.

You don't have to play the newest MK if you don't like it. You just don't. No one here is making EVO Grand Finals - myself included - so what is this fixation on grinding something just cause its current?

It makes no sense.
You actually can still play Mortal Kombat (2011), I believe you're restricting yourself solely to the PlayStation ecosystem here.

On PC - Steam, you can play all of NetherRealm Studio's games. Mortal Kombat (2011) is no longer sold, but you can still find it on key reseller sites (though I hear that's getting harder to find legit keys now). Mortal Kombat XL and Mortal Kombat 1 officially work on Steam Deck as well (I hear Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate does for offline stuff, but online has issues).

On Xbox One/Xbox One S/Xbox One X, you can play everything except for Mortal Kombat 1. Mortal Kombat (2011) is backwards compatible.

On Xbox Series S/Xbox Series X, same as above save you can play the latest game, of course. On Xbox Series S, you need all digital versions since the console lacks a disc drive.

On Switch, you can play Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate and Mortal Kombat 1.

Rude

Honest question: What's a steak n shake?
It's a restaurajt
You actually can still play Mortal Kombat (2011), I believe you're restricting yourself solely to the PlayStation ecosystem here.

On PC - Steam, you can play all of NetherRealm Studio's games. Mortal Kombat (2011) is no longer sold, but you can still find it on key reseller sites (though I hear that's getting harder to find legit keys now). Mortal Kombat XL and Mortal Kombat 1 officially work on Steam Deck as well (I hear Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate does for offline stuff, but online has issues).

On Xbox One/Xbox One S/Xbox One X, you can play everything except for Mortal Kombat 1. Mortal Kombat (2011) is backwards compatible.

On Xbox Series S/Xbox Series X, same as above save you can play the latest game, of course. On Xbox Series S, you need all digital versions since the console lacks a disc drive.

Oh shit. I didn't know about MK9. I had thought the GameSpy servers or whatever had died. Good to know.

It's a restaurajt
Ah, never heard of them before. Likely they're not here in Canada.

Oh shit. I didn't know about MK9. I had thought the GameSpy servers or whatever had died. Good to know.
I've heard mixed about whether multiplayer is still working on the PC - Steam version. I've generally heard it is on Xbox, but I have not tried either myself. With the delay-based netcode, I wouldn't want to, personally.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
So, I agree generally with every other point you made, but this one caught my attention: when was this NOT the case with NRS MK games? Everyone at the competitive level has used characters the exact same way since MK9. You saw cage doing frame traps into restands. You saw Sonya using armored reversals into safe pressure into armored reversals. Kenshi zoned, then occasionaly did a combo that pushed you fullscreen. Cyrax was reset into 80% combos. Kabal was NDC pressure inbetween gas blast zoning.

Same with Rekkas Tanya, Acidic Alien, Bat and Sorcerer Quan Chi, Demo Sonya, Grandmaster sub, Flash Parry into Pressure Tremor in MKX.

Same thing with Cetrion. Same thing with Jade, Kang, Air Kabal.

Every single one of the past MK games, characters would play the exact same game at high levels.

There wasnt a zoning cage in MK9 or a stagger into mixup Kenshi. There wasnt a non-reset Cyrax. Every character eventually boiled down to their respective most effective tactic available gameplay, and different people playing the same character did not differ significantly in style at all.
To add to that, I often see descriptions of legacy characters that don't fit the reasons they were good.

Kenshi is one of the biggest examples. He keeps being described years later as this pure zoner, who was top tier becaue his zoning was so good. People have forgotten that Kenshi was top tier because he also had some of the best armor in the game, plus frames, one of the best footsie tools in shoulder/push, and had mix in footsie range.

What archetypes are Kabal and Cyrax in MK9? They literally do everything well.

The same players say they like MKX, in which every character except maybe two was a rushdown character that could get in for free. And say they dislike Injustice 2, which had the biggest number of actual distinct archetypes in an NRS game.

LEGEND

YES!

It makes no sense.
small note that the PS4 port of Injustice had a few changes like making Sinestro's D1 no longer link into Shackles which sucks ass.

Rude

small note that the PS4 port of Injustice had a few changes like making Sinestro's D1 no longer link into Shackles which sucks ass.
You do get weird differences between game versions with a lot of porting. You see this with the 50 million OG RE4 ports.

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
I'm not a pro, but I mostly fucked off to play SoulCaliber and Street Fighter. I just don't think the people working at NRS give a shit anymore. I'll come back for a week or two when Ermac drops, but that's probably it for me.

I really like MK1's gameplay, and I was convinced they were going to use that as a foundation to "finish" the game around. They've shown 0 effort in addressing the things the game is lacking and put all their effort towards short sighted nerfs.

I'm friends with REDACTED and he was pro. He won at least 1 MK9 major. He's been playing DBFZ and Granblue Fantasy Versus. He ditched MK1 right after the big Cyrax nerf and said he doesn't trust the devs with the direction the game is going. He came back for a few days when Omniman dropped but left again right after.

I'm friends with another half dozen or so top 100 MK9 players that used to travel to EVO every year. I don't think any of them even bought MK1 since MK11 was such a big disappointment.

Ray'sGoodLiquor

So if you like any of these games better, why don't you just go play them?
Based on Steam numbers, they already are. MK1 and MK11 numbers are basically even with MK1 still falling. I was expecting a Christmas bump but it never came.

Oh, and before I get "BuT StEaMcHaRtS dOeSn'T aCcOuNt FoR tHe BiGgEsT pLaTfOrMs!," we call political polling scientific and most of them only sample 500-1,000 people. The 30,000+ people that bought the game on Steam are a good enough sample size to detect patterns and make generalized judgments.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter

You say they’re streaming this game for beer money. You do realize the tournament prize pools for this game is what is actually “beer money”, right?

Why go to a tournament where 1st place prize is $750 when they can make AT LEAST that either streaming the tournament and commentating over it, or streaming themselves playing KL or ft10’s or whatever? Also you have to factor in the cost of travel. Not just getting there but staying in a hotel. Reminds me of when F0xy said he wasn’t going to this past ECT. He said that even if he won 1st place, he’d STILL be in the negative with how much it cost to get there. I realize that situation is a bit different since he would’ve been traveling overseas, but that sentiment still exists if you live in NA going to an NA major.

I’ve said this for awhile now, but these days you really should be making content if you’re a top player or super involved in the game and community. And only treat tournaments as promotion or marketing for yourself. These top players are under no obligation to spend all this money going to tournaments just to entertain viewers. And there’s not much of a community incentive anymore because the community is so fractured.

And why should they compete in something besides NRS games? Pretty much every other FG is legacy to some extent. SF6 was less so, which you did see several top NRS players doing fairly well in SF6 before MK1 dropped. But there’s only a few players in the world that can hop onto a completely new FG to them, especially one that has legacy aspects, and actually do well. Which is why you don’t see top players in other FG’s doing well in NRS games. There’s exceptions of course, but not very many. ¯\(ツ)

Ray'sGoodLiquor

You say they’re streaming this game for beer money. You do realize the tournament prize pools for this game is what is actually “beer money”, right?

Why go to a tournament where 1st place prize is $750 when they can make AT LEAST that either streaming the tournament and commentating over it, or streaming themselves playing KL or ft10’s or whatever? Also you have to factor in the cost of travel. Not just getting there but staying in a hotel. Reminds me of when F0xy said he wasn’t going to this past ECT. He said that even if he won 1st place, he’d STILL be in the negative with how much it cost to get there. I realize that situation is a bit different since he would’ve been traveling overseas, but that sentiment still exists if you live in NA going to an NA major.

I’ve said this for awhile now, but these days you really should be making content if you’re a top player or super involved in the game and community. And only treat tournaments as promotion or marketing for yourself. These top players are under no obligation to spend all this money going to tournaments just to entertain viewers. And there’s not much of a community incentive anymore because the community is so fractured.

And why should they compete in something besides NRS games? Pretty much every other FG is legacy to some extent. SF6 was less so, which you did see several top NRS players doing fairly well in SF6 before MK1 dropped. But there’s only a few players in the world that can hop onto a completely new FG to them, especially one that has legacy aspects, and actually do well. Which is why you don’t see top players in other FG’s doing well in NRS games. There’s exceptions of course, but not very many. ¯\(ツ)
The guys winning our locals every week/month are raking in more profit than the guys traveling to majors and placing top 8. It's really a shame what NRS has become, regardless of who's fault you think it is.

Wasn't Punk bodying online MK1 tournaments for a while, or am I thinking of someone else?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
The guys winning our locals every week/month are raking in more profit than the guys traveling to majors and placing top 8. It's really a shame what NRS has become, regardless of who's fault you think it is.

Wasn't Punk bodying online MK1 tournaments for a while, or am I thinking of someone else?
Idk about online tournaments, but he did win at least 1 offline MK1 tournament. Think the GF’s were his Ashrah vs a Havik in the first few weeks or so after release. And Punk would be one of those exceptions, kinda like SF. Idk if Punk still plays MK1 though.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Pretty much all of it?

Especially that OnlyFans part. That was...something. I think you may be too invested in the personal lives of strangers online.
The only fans part was definitely sarcasm, but still holy shit.

Rude

Based on Steam numbers, they already are. MK1 and MK11 numbers are basically even with MK1 still falling. I was expecting a Christmas bump but it never came.

Oh, and before I get "BuT StEaMcHaRtS dOeSn'T aCcOuNt FoR tHe BiGgEsT pLaTfOrMs!," we call political polling scientific and most of them only sample 500-1,000 people. The 30,000+ people that bought the game on Steam are a good enough sample size to detect patterns and make generalized judgments.
Uh, I think it's good that people are playing what they like?

BanTheTesters

“My AGENT is tougher than you...”

I’d also like to note that on pc you can still find places that have a copy of mk arcade collection on steam (you need to do some patching to get this version to run due to games for windows being defunct).

you also have access to the other older mk games such as mk1-3 4 AND trilogy on pc via gog and if I’m not mistaken multiplayer works on 1-3 due to gog and arcade 1up sharing the same servers

edit: the Brazilian mk scene and the Dominican Republic scene STILL play umk 3 online to this day..

Last edited: