What's new

Where are pros going to go after "ditiching" mk1 ?

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
So here's something that's been on my mind lately:

With the exception of MK9, I'm pretty sure you could still play any of NRS' other games if you want to.

The original Injustice was ported to PS4 and probably still works online. Same for I2, MKX, MK11, etc.

So if you like any of these games better, why don't you just go play them? Hell, Destroyer was running cash tournaments and fight nights for MKX all the way up until MK1's release.

You still have people to this day that play Street Fighter Super Turbo, Darkstalkers 3, UMVC3, etc.

Why don't you just go play that? Why don't you just play something you like?

You don't have to play the newest MK if you don't like it. You just don't. No one here is making EVO Grand Finals - myself included - so what is this fixation on grinding something just cause its current?

It makes no sense.
I agree with all this, outside of gaming. I don't listen to current music, watch current movies/shows, not trying to read a current book. Gaming is a means of relaxation, and as much as I love MK9, it's day in the sun has passed. If there was a vibrant underground scene, then maybe*. I just can't be assed to have multiple systems hooked up, and am only looking to play PS5 compatible titles. MK1 isn't a main game, so I'll trash it and go back to my main mode of relaxation which is in another genre entirely.

P.S Nothing personal bubba, Boon's abortion just got under my skin yesterday. Got nothing but love for my NRS brethren. <3
If one gets their jollies off dressing up like Kabal and Nomad Dashing their MY Little Pony harvest collection, it's none of my damn business.

You say they’re streaming this game for beer money. You do realize the tournament prize pools for this game is what is actually “beer money”, right?

Why go to a tournament where 1st place prize is $750 when they can make AT LEAST that either streaming the tournament and commentating over it, or streaming themselves playing KL or ft10’s or whatever? Also you have to factor in the cost of travel. Not just getting there but staying in a hotel. Reminds me of when F0xy said he wasn’t going to this past ECT. He said that even if he won 1st place, he’d STILL be in the negative with how much it cost to get there. I realize that situation is a bit different since he would’ve been traveling overseas, but that sentiment still exists if you live in NA going to an NA major.

I’ve said this for awhile now, but these days you really should be making content if you’re a top player or super involved in the game and community. And only treat tournaments as promotion or marketing for yourself. These top players are under no obligation to spend all this money going to tournaments just to entertain viewers. And there’s not much of a community incentive anymore because the community is so fractured.

And why should they compete in something besides NRS games? Pretty much every other FG is legacy to some extent. SF6 was less so, which you did see several top NRS players doing fairly well in SF6 before MK1 dropped. But there’s only a few players in the world that can hop onto a completely new FG to them, especially one that has legacy aspects, and actually do well. Which is why you don’t see top players in other FG’s doing well in NRS games. There’s exceptions of course, but not very many. ¯\(ツ)
That's my point my brutha. These "pros" are making their ends off this carcass of a fighter. They're not going to switch to Tekken, grind, and try to reach the upper echelon to get to the pay window. Far more competition, and they're already behind based off legacy. Sonic has the aptitude and fan base to make money by stream grinding. The rest of the "pros" are just going to continue to squeeze lice from Boon's brow in order to afford some Friday Night White Claws.

This is it, they're not going anywhere. For better or worse.

Last edited:

CipherJ

Noob
Idk about online tournaments, but he did win at least 1 offline MK1 tournament. Think the GF’s were his Ashrah vs a Havik in the first few weeks or so after release. And Punk would be one of those exceptions, kinda like SF. Idk if Punk still plays MK1 though.
Actually Punk took second vs a Havik player named Stryker. IIRC

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Actually Punk took second vs a Havik player named Stryker. IIRC
You’re right. Idk why I thought he won that, like I would’ve bet money on it. I was so sure he won that grand finals. But you’re right, Stryker reset the bracket then won 3-1 in the final set with Havik.

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
You’re right. Idk why I thought he won that, like I would’ve bet money on it. I was so sure he won that grand finals. But you’re right, Stryker reset the bracket then won 3-1 in the final set with Havik.
Punk sent him to losers so technically youre right

Hot_DNA

Noob
I’m not going to spend a lot of time trying to change your mind, but every Kung Lao player on the planet will tell you that he should have his teleport , launching spin, better divekick, and low hat. What they gave him in return isn’t better than what they took away.

He is watered down, end of story.

And I could go in further on other characters but I’ve spent way too much time talking about this trash game.
Didnt u say kung Lao was top 1?

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Didnt u say kung Lao was top 1?
Kung Lao is a good character. He's got mix, a good mid, good down poke that jails into pressure, launching armor.

Honestly, if he had a teleport and a launching spin on top of that with Kameos, he'd be pretty degenerate. You could just mash your fast, launching armored spin then throw out Stryker grenades.

He's a good character. Lao players need to adjust to change.

haketh

Noob
So here's something that's been on my mind lately:

With the exception of MK9, I'm pretty sure you could still play any of NRS' other games if you want to.

The original Injustice was ported to PS4 and probably still works online. Same for I2, MKX, MK11, etc.

So if you like any of these games better, why don't you just go play them? Hell, Destroyer was running cash tournaments and fight nights for MKX all the way up until MK1's release.

You still have people to this day that play Street Fighter Super Turbo, Darkstalkers 3, UMVC3, etc.

Why don't you just go play that? Why don't you just play something you like?

You don't have to play the newest MK if you don't like it. You just don't. No one here is making EVO Grand Finals - myself included - so what is this fixation on grinding something just cause its current?

It makes no sense.
I’ve been asking this for years

Hara-Killer

Reverse Salt
OMG i need Takeda and Homelander soon ASF , really think they can bring hype and good updates to MK1
oooh peacemaker soon maybe a new hope