What's new

When to use normal throw over green thumb?

colby

Noob
I feel like I have a pretty good theoretical understanding for most of swamp things tools (always falls apart in practice though, haha) but one thing i haven't put together is when is it more advantageous to use a normal throw over green thumb? if the in game frame data is to be believed it just seems like the command grab is better then the throw in every way. but i cant imagine that it would be the case that i should just never use my normal throw as swamp thing. so am i missing something?

I don't have the data in front of me to go over frames or anythingso the main thing that's coming to mind right now is input. It's just clearly faster to hit 1 button and it puts them in a comfy range. I actually rely too much on throw. When I am looking at the data there may be something more obvious.

I feel like you can just crouch green thumb, no?

So i looked at the data today and the big difference is that normal grab is 10 frames and green thumb is 13. You cannot crouch either of them.

Basically, green thumb gives you plenty of options but is slower and requires more inputs. I also feel the hitbox is finnicky so it's hard to surprise opponents with it.

RNLDRGN

RONALD ROGAN
I feel like I have a pretty good theoretical understanding for most of swamp things tools (always falls apart in practice though, haha) but one thing i haven't put together is when is it more advantageous to use a normal throw over green thumb? if the in game frame data is to be believed it just seems like the command grab is better then the throw in every way. but i cant imagine that it would be the case that i should just never use my normal throw as swamp thing. so am i missing something?
I normally only hit regular throw:

1. After connecting D1.
2. After Green Thumb thorns ender (DF2, 1) in the corner.
3. Randomly on opponent's wakeup or point blank.

It's really tough to say WHEN to use regular throw vs Green Thumb. GT has much more startup, but is untechable and has longer range. It also leads into heal + more damage. Mix it up between the two and don't rely too heavily on either. Though I will say overall GT is a more solid tool.