What's new

Question - Shinnok What's The Communities Opinion On Shinnok?

Give me your opinions

• Total voters
Some find the character to be a gimmick and too negative.
Some find that the character needs a bit of a tweak to be just right.
Some find that he shits on the current "meta"...

So lets ask all the lovely people on this site, whats your opinion on our beloved dark lord? Does he need buffs? Does he actually need nerfs:DOGE? Or too early to form an opinion you fucking noob its only been 24 days 9 hours and 24 secs...? Do Shinnok mains need to just level their asses up?

@colt Could you please weigh in as well?

Insuperable

My mom tells me I'm pretty
At this point in time, I can't see anyone being worse than mid-tier. There's still too much to explore.

Week 1: Reptile is the worst - l0l
Week 2: Kitana is the worst - more possible than Reptile, but unlikely
Week 3: Kenshi is the worst - L0L
Week 4: Shinnok is the worst - more possible than Kitana, but still unlikely

BlackViper415

TYM's Head Herpetologist
At the very least, Necromancer needs a little bit of a buff. He just rides on meter WAYYY too hard and his specials are so unreliable (You shouldn't be able to just walk right past his giant skeletal b**** slap.) Nothing too major though, or he actually will end the world. At this point though? He just feels like an insignificant speck of feculent scum.

Last edited:

RYX

BIG PUSHER
i think he's bland, uninspired, and every single variation feels incomplete and difficult to enjoy.

I would honestly give him a serious go if you couldn't just walk past his spooky flick hand. it'd be like if Kenshi's abilities didn't track where you were right as he casted it, but wherever you were 2 seconds ago.

i'm sure he needs more than that but his flick/grab not properly tracking is just broken in my opinion

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Shinnok doesn't excel at anything. He has poor mixups, poor neutral, poor specials, poor zoning, poor rushdown, and poor options. He needs to be rich in something or he's going to die alone and afraid, and nobody wants that.

At this point in time, I can't see anyone being worse than mid-tier. There's still too much to explore.

Week 1: Reptile is the worst - l0l
Week 2: Kitana is the worst - more possible than Reptile, but unlikely
Week 3: Kenshi is the worst - L0L
Week 4: Shinnok is the worst - more possible than Kitana, but still unlikely
uh, we've known he's bad for awhile now.

F4tal

Noob
Seems like there is a lot of potential for Imposter/Bone Shaper. That Bugvman guy in top 16 looked extremely solid. Bone Shaper has a lot of safe strings as well.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
The struggle of having to go through the story mode. It was the longest 2-3 hours of my life
I had to do it at a tournament while everyone was playing casuals, because no system had Shinnok yet. THAT was the longest 2-3 hours ever! Protip, don't pick an unlockable character as your main until at least week 3 when tournaments actually have him.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
He's actually pretty safe in bone shaper, but his damage and mixups leave sooo much to be desired.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
I had to do it at a tournament while everyone was playing casuals, because no system had Shinnok yet. THAT was the longest 2-3 hours ever! Protip, don't pick an unlockable character as your main until at least week 3 when tournaments actually have him.
my 2nd match at gbs a few weeks back didn't have goro on the console... RIP lol

Insuperable

uh, we've known he's bad for awhile now.
He has a 6 frame advancing low for easy counterpoke/pressure because his two hit string is +9 on hit (so he either gets a guaranteed 6 frame low string for pressure or a grab mixup off of legitimately any counterpoke in boneshaper), a 3/4 screen super armor punish in boneshaper, a mid hitting projectile in boneshaper, a 6 frame uppercut, a long reaching jip, ground skulls when someone tries to run in (can be blocked, but good for conditioning), d4 ground skull cancel to push characters back who can't punish it properly, etc

The biggest thing that he lacks is reliable damage. He had the Jade treatment with that.

Glad we came to the conclusion that he is bottom 1 as a community within the first month

imposter gets 40+% dmg on a mimicked ability. plus with an anti-air ability in all variations he prob has the best zone control in the game.
- Bone shaper for mid range and controlling grounded positioning.
- necro for pure zoning and chipping
- imposter for counter zoning

because of his strong anti-air he can make footsies pretty important to his game.

Last edited:
He has a 6 frame advancing low for easy counterpoke/pressure because his two hit string is +9 on hit (so he either gets a guaranteed 6 frame low string for pressure or a grab mixup off of legitimately any counterpoke in boneshaper), a 3/4 screen super armor punish in boneshaper, a mid hitting projectile in boneshaper, a 6 frame uppercut, a long reaching jip, ground skulls when someone tries to run in (can be blocked, but good for conditioning), d4 ground skull cancel to push characters back who can't punish it properly, etc

The biggest thing that he lacks is reliable damage. He had the Jade treatment with that.

Glad we came to the conclusion that he is bottom 1 as a community within the first month
I'm just saying, you act like we don't know this already. I'm not saying he's bottom 1 or even bottom 5, but he's definitely lacking a lot compared to the rest of the cast.

Insuperable

I'm just saying, you act like we don't know this already. I'm not saying he's bottom 1 or even bottom 5, but he's definitely lacking a lot compared to the rest of the cast.
Oh, yes I agree with this. I didn't say he wasn't lacking in my post. My original post was saying that each week those characters were considered the worst in the game

UPR_Nova

Noob
I have more fun playing Shinnok Necromancer than my current main Ermac. Just find it difficult to get the win against a knowledgeable opponent and I feel like I'm just chipping away, never inflicting any good damage. I have to explore the other variations but I hope he gets just a little something in the future. Make his blockstrings connect properly and consistently and better tracking on Necromancer would allow me to enjoy him without damage and high/low mixup. I think these additions would make him perfect, maybe not top tier, but MUCH better.

Corrupted Shinnok on the other hand....
Can we please just get a Corrupted variation?

Total waste of 3 hours story mode. I dont know about you guys but an ELDER GOD one of the strongest beeing if not the strongest beeings in MK universe AND the final boss in the game feeling totally bland makes me :mad:.
Little to 0 mixups in a game where nearly everybody has 50/50 the FUCKING BOSS CHARACTER doesn't...except in Boneshaper where he can end the low string with the safe overhead or the unsafe low scoop.
Necromancer special apart from beeing Mids ,whiffing is just inacceptable just like somebody above said its just like if kenshi's specials wouldn't track you properly.

And the fact that hes "unblockable" in Necromancer is easily avoidable with that insane startup so that u can even run up from fullscreen and punish him on reaction is a joke.

Imposter is a very very bad shang tsung ripoff , yes u can mix the overhead teleport up by not attacking and instead landing and doing low or do the overhead BUT u won't get that far since Chars like Quan chi will just NJP you out of it.

The ground Skull is really weak in my eyes I mean just compare it to shang tsungs ground skulls.

What does the mimicry brings when u dont have a (real) overhead that the opponent should be scared of?

Boneshaper is the only good variation he has, You will never open an good opponent up with Necromancer.

It feel like NSR just gave the 50/50 and zoning to Corrupted shinnok.

*Rant off*

Last edited:

VOR

Noob
He's mediocre or poor in all gameplay aspects. Espescially because his footsie tools are lackluster and or unsafe. Very high risk and low reward. Not a lot of good buttons.