What's new

What will Mortal Kombat 11's legacy be if there are no more Kombat Packs/patches?

How would you grade Mortal Kombat 11 if the product were finished?

• Total voters

Pizza

Thrill Kill
When we had that couple of new stages I felt very optimistic. They were awesome! They even added stage fatalities! Yay! Now let's see what else they will release!

And... silly me, the other stages were Retrocade all along.

As fans we shouldn’t care about any of that,
We probably shouldn't, but you also have to accept the reality of it being a business and not everything will always be done just to keep fans happy, or exactly as they want.

all I can say is I rather have a game starts off low on content and gradually adds more
Everyone says that - then you go back and look at posts from the MK11 release "oh noes, KL isn't ready!! OMG this game is trash", "No customs at release in one game mode!! NRS are so lazy!!", SFV release "full price for a game with no single player content, and only 16 characters, this game is trash". For both - "full price for a game that isn't even finished, NRS/CAPCOM are using us as beta testers wah wah".

What you say might be what people think they want, but the reality doesn't agree with that.

The game was missing KL on release and people had their pitch forks out (even though it was more than evident it was coming soon). If it came out with anything less than what it had the complaints would have been nauseating. The game had more content day1 than SFV had at year2, and people still weren't happy.

So it's easy to say that after the fact, esp. now with SFV throwing in an extra unexpected season + a major revamp that is getting a lot of positive feedback. It makes the road that led to here a little smoother in hindsight, and definitely paints NRS/MK11 in a different light, but no one can bullshit and say that people weren't raging at capcom given the state of SFV at release.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
As much as I think people think their complaining tells NRS a story about the success and failure of their game(s), at this point they are full on tracking data on everything we are doing. They know how many hours you've played, how much time you spent in training vs how much time sitting in menus, vs playing people.

They know what characters you play, what your skill is in relationship to other players and why. They know how many people bought the game, who is still playing the game, what stages you like to play on, and what characters statistically tends to beat what other characters broken down by skill groups.

If someone flaps their gums about how sucky balance is and why things should be this way or that way, they can say "OK, lets take a look" and find that person rarely beats mid level players, and even go watch that person's fights and see they have no idea how the game works. And when someone says they hate the game but have 1500 hours and counting, what message are they actually sending?

The external perception of what the "legacy" is may be a thing, but they really, really know if they consider MK11 a success or not and if they would do it again. Like every business, they are going to be basing all that off of charts and graphs, not the clichéd tidal wave of negative feedback that gamers tend to create.

We probably shouldn't, but you also have to accept the reality of it being a business and not everything will always be done just to keep fans happy, or exactly as they want.

Everyone says that - then you go back and look at posts from the MK11 release "oh noes, KL isn't ready!! OMG this game is trash", "No customs at release in one game mode!! NRS are so lazy!!", SFV release "full price for a game with no single player content, and only 16 characters, this game is trash". For both - "full price for a game that isn't even finished, NRS/CAPCOM are using us as beta testers wah wah".

What you say might be what people think they want, but the reality doesn't agree with that.

The game was missing KL on release and people had their pitch forks out (even though it was more than evident it was coming soon). If it came out with anything less than what it had the complaints would have been nauseating. The game had more content day1 than SFV had at year2, and people still weren't happy.

So it's easy to say that after the fact, esp. now with SFV throwing in an extra unexpected season + a major revamp that is getting a lot of positive feedback. It makes the road that led to here a little smoother in hindsight, and definitely paints NRS/MK11 in a different light, but no one can bullshit and say that people weren't raging at capcom given the state of SFV at release.
I get what you’re saying and of course SF5 release was pathetic, but you cannot argue that they’ve more than made up for it. Point is, we got 5 years worth of content that actually kept people like me engaged since the release of story mode - after a year I believe that was. MK11 managed to keep my interest for not even 2 years…that’s the end result.

It shows in the end one company who are truly trying to give fans more and are engaged not just through content but with constant fixes and patches. And it shows another that is quite arrogant, with no intention of truly giving fans what they want in any shape or form. They care about sales, that’s the bottom line.

They care about sales, that’s the bottom line.
And capcom don't? They haven't released a fighting game since MvCI (2017) and apparently it's more dead than MK11 (according to those that love to tell us that). SFV is the only shining light that capcom has at the moment in their fighting game lineup. Their options are - do nothing and be happy with the sales they have up till now... Or release a major update to keep fans happy and (more importantly for the company) keep some money rolling in until their next major fighting game release in 2-3 years (based on previous releases). Hmmm... I wonder what i would do?

but you cannot argue that they’ve more than made up for it
I'm not, i even commended them for it. I'm saying don't turn a blind eye to what happened at release just because everything is peachy now, especially now 5yrs later because it fits the "I rather have a game starts off low on content and gradually adds more" narrative.

If a game did the same today the same complaints would be there with a select few saying "it'll be fine in 5yrs", among the cacophony of "this game is trash, full price for nothing" bullshit. Guaranteed.

And capcom don't? They haven't released a fighting game since MvCI (2017) and apparently it's more dead than MK11 (according to those that love to tell us that). SFV is the only shining light that capcom has at the moment in their fighting game lineup. Their options are - do nothing and be happy with the sales they have up till now... Or release a major update to keep fans happy and (more importantly for the company) keep some money rolling in until their next major fighting game release in 2-3 years (based on previous releases). Hmmm... I wonder what i would do?

I'm not, i even commended them for it. I'm saying don't turn a blind eye to what happened at release just because everything is peachy now, especially now 5yrs later because it fits the "I rather have a game starts off low on content and gradually adds more" narrative.

If a game did the same today the same complaints would be there with a select few saying "it'll be fine in 5yrs", among the cacophony of "this game is trash, full price for nothing" bullshit. Guaranteed.
Point taken on the first part, however I’m sure SF5 made enough yet they still add content. Even with big breaks in between and terrible communication. What they’ve done at least with the last season is definitely fan service.

I am not turning a blind eye, but since they’ve more than made up for it and managed to keep people excited about their game 5 years in that’s what I’ll take 10 times out of 10 over what NRS / WB has done. MK11 is done already after 2 years…

Vhozite

Waiting on SF6
For me MK11 is good but not ambitious enough to be great, and it’s mostly due to the variation system. They’ve been afraid of going all in on it since day 1 and it makes the system feel phoned in instead of game defining.

Custom moves that overwrite better default moves for no reason. Trash tier moves that nobody picks ever are rarely fixed. Interesting setup or utility moves are watered down to nothing or are just straight up banned. Moves so much better than the other options that you’re basically throwing if you don’t pick them. The insane gap in viable options on the have’s vs the have not’s. The myriad of copy/paste ideas like over half the roster having a command grab or teleport option. Then you have the garbage tier presets we had at launch. It’s all very frustrating and i’ve always felt limited by the variation system as a result.

It’s a shame because outside of that I think the game is pretty great. Stunning visuals and a great roster (probably my favorite of any FG I’ve played). I love the meter system and I like Krushing Blows. I think the mix of neutral, zoning, and rushdown is very healthy. It’s not perfect but the foundation is definitely there.

Rhysanthe

You don't look so bad in this light.
Surely MK11 will be remembered fondly in the future. Perhaps not for gameplay reasons and more so for its visual appeal.

MK 11 is the star wars 8 of fighting games. it randomly mashes together all of the cheesiest, cheapest and dullest stuff fighting games have to offer, emphasizes them as its core gameplay and acts as if this was a great thing to do. it is a disgrace to the franchise and an insult to the intelligence and skill of every halfways dedicated FG or MK player. it feels like its not even aiming at casuals, but at people who play it once in a lifetime at a drunk party to giggle at fatalities - but hey, those people have to be able to land an iconic slide or teleport too, so who cares if their designs destroy the whole neutral game for anyone else? but im sure NRS think theyve created a work of genius.

Last edited:

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
MK 11 is the star wars 8 of fighting games. it randomly mashes together all of the cheesiest, cheapest and dullest stuff fighting games have to offer, emphasizes them as its core gameplay and acts as if this was a great thing to do. it is a disgrace to the franchise and an insult to the intelligence and skill of every halfways dedicated FG or MK player. it feels like its not even aiming at casuals, but at people who play it once in a lifetime at a drunk party to giggle at fatalities - but hey, those people have to be able to land an iconic slide or teleport too, so who cares if their designs destroy the whole neutral game for anyone else? but im sure NRS think theyve created a work of genius.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Debating whom the game is designed for serves no purpose at this moment or any other. After thousands of hours of contemplation and arguments on the podcast and in private, I have arrived to the conclusion that Mortal Kombat is perennially doomed to mediocrity because of the Warner Bros.' business model, to no fault of the gameplay developers or quality assurance, who, I am certain, aspire to create a quality fighting game. The genuine culprits are the pity fools who have protected this piece of feces of a fighting game for a year and longer.

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
Debating whom the game is designed for serves no purpose at this moment or any other. After thousands of hours of contemplation and arguments on the podcast and in private, I have arrived to the conclusion that Mortal Kombat is perennially doomed to mediocrity because of the Warner Bros.' business model, to no fault of the gameplay developers or quality assurance, who, I am certain, aspire to create a quality fighting game. The genuine culprits are the pity fools who have protected this piece of feces of a fighting game for a year and longer.
You got a raw deal. I played the game for about a month and a half before realizing it was going to be bad. I dropped it before the whole tournament variant thing went away.

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
That’s why I was kinda let down when AT&T put WBIE on sale for $4bn & Xbox wanted to buy it then took it off the market because they were only testing the market. I would think that would be a good deal for the consumers so NRS can take all the time in the world to make with as big of a budget they need & in an ideal safe work environment that they currently aren’t known for (quite the opposite) similar to what Xbox is going to do to Activision Blizzard next year when Bobby Kotick is no longer needed.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
You got a raw deal. I played the game for about a month and a half before realizing it was going to be bad. I dropped it before the whole tournament variant thing went away.
I played the game for longer than a year because NRS promised support for longer than two years, which turned out to be a lie.

I have been playing Street Fighter 5 and Tekken 7, even as I was playing Mortal Kombat 11. While Capcom and Namco implement significant gameplay elements that alter and revitalize the meta in a span of five to six years, NRS includes customizable variations and armor breaks, both of which have had little to no impact on the meta of the game. You eventually have to recognize when you are being given the short end of the stick and instead support fighting game companies that actually care about their product.

Besides, if the rumors are accurate that the next Mortal Kombat game's mechanics will be based on Mortal Kombat 11's, I am not playing. I have had enough of variations, flawless block, and fatal blows.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Besides, if the rumors are accurate that the next Mortal Kombat game's mechanics will be based on Mortal Kombat 11's, I am not playing. I have had enough of variations, flawless block, and fatal blows.
I've heard this rumor as well, and if it's true, I'm not even going to buy the game. Imagine taking the most boring MK game and deciding "yup, this is the one we will use as the legacy game."