What's new

What will Mortal Kombat 11's legacy be if there are no more Kombat Packs/patches?

How would you grade Mortal Kombat 11 if the product were finished?

• Total voters
if this were it, then my final thought would be the game is just alright. the reveal, reveal footage, and beta got me excited, but most of that went away at release. my character, scorpion, lost things since reveal, has continue to lose things while getting minimal in return (I guess day 1 customs included because nrs didn't go full steam ahead with that development philosophy) combined with the overall game itself just not being very fulfilling/exciting to play, and my overall motivation just went down. I wish I could've just waited for a price drop but it is what it is I guess. learned from it.

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
A directionless game that tried to court one audience, failed to do so, and alienated its core audience.

It was a fighting game clearly intended to be made "the right way", forgetting that fighting games work best with a "wouldn't this be neat" mentality.

A grounded footsies game with weak anti airs and a bunch of characters with super jumps and air dashes. A game with excellent netcode with a terrible online experience. A game with a restrained patch cycle where the meta is rarely shook up.

I do like playing it though. It can be a lot of fun.

DeftMonk

Noob
I think it's a exceptional fighting game.

• It has a great system of pokes an neutral with thoughtful mechanics like flawless block and breakaway(yes).
  • You have a ton of characters with different play styles available and they are mostly viable, and there's a lot to say about kustoms but they add variety, always a new variation to try.
  • The patched the game in ways that made it better without neutering characters or dramatically changing the meta(like MKX). They get little credit for polishing the game up with good patches they did to affect hit reactions(problem in every NRS game before), adjust flawless block, add jumping frames, got rid of multiple delayed wakeup, adjusting poke hit advantage and that one patch where a bunch of characters got random hit advantage buffs.
  • It has a lot of content and was worth its price on release (many fighters are not.)
  • Excellent netcode. Excellent. A lot of games have trash netcode and people claim it's still playable
  • Excellent matchmaking. Another thing that hurts potentially good fighters
  • Game's fun
I agree with the net code and amount of content but that’s about it. Many characters with different play styles? What bro? The two play styles in this game are the way u play with a fast mid and without. Possibly you could also say are kb usable or trash is two different play styles. And do this characters strings have needless flawlessblock gaps or not. There are some characters that have slightly different play styles based on their attacks having no hurtbox but where are the archetypes? Setup character? Zoner? Grappler? Having played many other fighting games and having seen this done right...mk11 ain’t it bro. Game has its good points but huge variety of archetypes and well developed characters is definately not one imo.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
I'm in a weird limbo between really loving the gameplay (save for some key exceptions), UI, netcode, aesthetic, characterizations, graphics and character animations, etc. yet thinking NRS pulled out a shotgun and blew their feet off. To be blunt: this will go down as the most mismanaged NRS title ever. Because of that, even people like myself who like the game will not be looking back fondly at it. Instead, we'll just look at MK11 and remember "Oh yeah, that's the one NRS decided to switch communication styles with Capcom/ArcSys and abandon any sense of hope, hype, or community for the game."

Not to mention that now stupid comment "This will be the longest supported MK game." At this point, I don't want it to be because I know any further support will either involve a sudden patch with 0 communication/explanation or the now well established "Hi everyone. Here's some shit to buy. Bye!" tactic.

Game's a solid base to build on. But NRS hasn't given any fucks about doing that. It's been half a year since they dumped Ultimate out and then ghosted us for good. So the game's legacy will be Sheeva stomp buffs and kustoms that mostly served to make the top tiers even better (because they refused to take the perfect opportunity to adjust any of the slottable abilities).

Oh wait, NRS did just now show signs of life... in making sure WePlay is no longer allowed to host their games. They already have your money, now they'd rather everyone forget about the game and give their servers a rest.

Last edited:
I stopped playing the game nine months ago; I thought I enjoyed it, but deep down I don’t think I really did. Every match felt the same, with me playing the same style each match.

However, it will be the casual fans opinions that affect the future of NRS games, as they’re the ones who bring in the money, not the hardcore community who care about the deeper aspects of fighting games.

All the complaints I see in this community are about the mechanics and communication, and rightfully so. But the game sold well, made a lot of money, and ultimately that was what the game aimed to do... the game isn’t made for people like us, and what NRS delivered was exceptional for the casual audience.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
The most Stunning visuals in a fighting game (misses opportunity to give unique costumes, instead, they are just more pallete swaps)
The most advanced training mode in NRS history (game meta and tech are found in a week)
Good Netcode from the start (Terrible online experience)

Terrible community managing
Terrible gameplay decisions
Game feels unfinished.

Worst MK experience since MK vs DC and MK Armaggedon.

The is the second time since armaggedon, where i decided that maybe i will not buy the next NRS title until i confirm it's good enough.

I feel very sorry for those that purchased this game and felt they wasted money on it.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I stopped playing the game nine months ago; I thought I enjoyed it, but deep down I don’t think I really did. Every match felt the same, with me playing the same style each match.

However, it will be the casual fans opinions that affect the future of NRS games, as they’re the ones who bring in the money, not the hardcore community who care about the deeper aspects of fighting games.

All the complaints I see in this community are about the mechanics and communication, and rightfully so. But the game sold well, made a lot of money, and ultimately that was what the game aimed to do... the game isn’t made for people like us, and what NRS delivered was exceptional for the casual audience.
There are points in there about what success looks like that they would surely be looking at that the competitive crowd doesn't, but at least since MKX, the "competitive" crowd has been harping on NRS non-stop for things they seem to be trying to give us.

They adjusted things down at the end of MKX, they created IJ2 to try and be more mindful of competition, and then made MK11 more in line with what people were saying we wanted. Oh you want full customs like that will make things better- sure.

There are strong indications that what we have is a result of what we have been demanding for years and we still aren't happy.

craftycheese

I tried to throw a yo-yo away. It was impossible.
Personally it's my favorite game out of the "New Trilogy." If this is how MK11 ends, I think it will be remembered as a good game that just never reached it's full potential due to poor management and missed opportunites. Which is unfortunate because this game is probably the best game they've made. It plays well, looks amazing, has a lot of content and stuff to do, great netcode, fairly well balanced, and even has some cool ideas on paper that may or may not have ultimately worked out.

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
As much as I have respect for Boon, if he leaves us high and dry with this beta-like product, that will be the biggest disappointment. If you think about it, they have did so much good, they improved so much, yet there are moments, when you play, it gets to you, that you are playing a fu***ng beta version.

The only thing that will keep reminding me of this title, is my bath-robe, and towel with "Mortal Kombat" Logo on it.

I think it'll be fine as time goes on, the removal of mandatory Tournament Variations helped.
And the Game solidified Jacqui as the most hated character of the new games so that's cool.

"Where's Mileena"

2 years later

"That's not Mileena."
No it's Mileena they just decided to make her play like Pink Kitana.
What a good idea that turned out to be.

Last edited:

DeftMonk

Noob
Game's a solid base to build on. But NRS hasn't given any fucks about doing that. It's been half a year since they dumped Ultimate out and then ghosted us for good. So the game's legacy will be Sheeva stomp buffs and kustoms that mostly served to make the top tiers even better (because they refused to take the perfect opportunity to adjust any of the slottable abilities).

Oh wait, NRS did just now show signs of life... in making sure WePlay is no longer allowed to host their games. They already have your money, now they'd rather everyone forget about the game and give their servers a rest.
Ya exactly mk11 is like a chef throwing down the best fuckin flour shape u have ever seen for a pizza in your life and on top of that is like 3 foot diameter! This is going to be one badass pizza! Then the chef just doesnt say shit and walks away from the kitchen.

Raider

Noob
A flop overall. Maybe it was a financial success for NRS and WB but they both showed that they don't deserve it. They are incapable of having a communication with their community and playerbase. They never heard any of the requests and issues player had that are still in the game since day one and ignored everything. They literally gave us bare minimum!

I stopped playing the game months ago and it cured my acne and my depression. I thought that i was having fun playing the game but now i am realizing that i actually never had fun playing this mess of a game.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
I agree with the net code and amount of content but that’s about it. Many characters with different play styles? What bro? The two play styles in this game are the way u play with a fast mid and without. Possibly you could also say are kb usable or trash is two different play styles. And do this characters strings have needless flawlessblock gaps or not. There are some characters that have slightly different play styles based on their attacks having no hurtbox but where are the archetypes? Setup character? Zoner? Grappler? Having played many other fighting games and having seen this done right...mk11 ain’t it bro. Game has its good points but huge variety of archetypes and well developed characters is definately not one imo.
A lot of arbitrary complaints. Like I don't subscribe to this idea that all fighters got to have certain amount of archetypes or something but if I wanna play zoners, I got Cetrion, Shang, Robo, Skarlet.. if I want rushdown I have Jacqui, Joker, Terminator... Setup characters in D'vorah, Geras' and Rambo and through customs with Frost, Terminator... Maybe this isn't the archetype game you want but at times I wonder if I'm playing the same game as you guys with some of these complaints.

I have my own experience playing games and it leads into why I think the game is exceptional. Obviously, you should feel free to think otherwise. Enjoy your gaming

DeftMonk

Noob
A lot of arbitrary complaints. Like I don't subscribe to this idea that all fighters got to have certain amount of archetypes or something but if I wanna play zoners, I got Cetrion, Shang, Robo, Skarlet.. if I want rushdown I have Jacqui, Joker, Terminator... Setup characters in D'vorah, Geras' and Rambo and through customs with Frost, Terminator... Maybe this isn't the archetype game you want but at times I wonder if I'm playing the same game as you guys with some of these complaints.

I have my own experience playing games and it leads into why I think the game is exceptional. Obviously, you should feel free to think otherwise. Enjoy your gaming
Bro did you just say "if I want setup play I will play rambo"? coming from a venom main in gg that shit is hilarious. Just because robo cop cant do shit but pew pew does not mean he is a good example of a zoner archetype. You don't even have to look at other companies to see how lackluster mk11 is in this department... just look at zod/joker(not mk11)/bane... I mean I could mention mkx and mk9 as well but theres no need...this game variety is extremely lacking everyone plays the same game some are just better at it than others. If you mention any other 2d fighter I can tell u 5 characters that play WILDLY different.
edit: dont mean to sound toxic I am glad you enjoy the game I have just been rubbed the wrong way lately from NRS apparently just dropping mk11 and walking away.

Hebrew Negro

KingofBosz97 XBL
This is a really good question. I don't see myself coming back to play mk11 for any reason if the next game ever comes out. Tbh I've said that w every instalment so far, but I think I really mean it because this is the first NRS game where I haven't played it throughout it's entire "lifespan". Even if the next game is terrible (or not a fg), I'll go back to inj2/mkx.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
I still go back to MKX to fuck around with training modes. I played that game for years and still to this day feel like there were characters I never got as deep into as I wanted because I always went back Reptile, one of the funnest characters in fighting games. MK11 I'm still having a character crisis just to find one character I love

Jbog

Noob
This game is just like ij2 fun if u like nrs but died so quickly the main holes have never been fixed right just slap jerk patches and decide release a watered down version of a mk game at best for mk11. One big patch could revive hopes for this game buy its a big overhaul and honestly it's more new core mechanics of this game that truly destroy its fun. Forward roll is annoying and the breakaway and Krushing blow and fatal we're cool concepts but destroyed real game play . Top 5 don't even play the neutral footsie game that was intended. So much potential here if nrs would just say hey game isn't what we want and make the huge change. This watered down mk isn't what mk fans have stuck with nrs for.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I got Cetrion, Shang, Robo, Skarlet...
I understand the association between Cetrion and mid-range zoning. However, if you watch Shang Tsung players like Arn Kratos and Wound Cowboy play, they attack far more than they zone.

Robocop and Skarlet may be zoning characters, but they are low tier characters who add no value or innovation to the meta. Imagine having zoned with Freddy, Kenshi, Zod, Sinestro, Shinnok, Predator, Atom, Starfire, Dr. Fate, Red Hood, etc. and then being asked to zone with Robocop and Skarlet. LOL.

Some people will claim that I am biased, but I think that rush down is weak too in the sense that frame advantage is scarce, oppressive okizeme is difficult to enforce, and armor is nonexistent outside of fatal blows.

Character archetypes are nowhere near as well-defined as they used to be in previous installments. Obviously, the variation system is part of the problem.