What's new

Question What were you right and wrong about?

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
1. Ethereal looking to be Mileena's best variation from release (oh how wrong I was).

2. Regardless of the BS they have, most characters will live and die by the mids/normals they possess (kind of right)

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
Then just play ESL, you don't have to go anywhere in talk to anyone unless you make the offline championship in Burbank lol
Lol. Yeah I planned to but between my job and kids and life... Man there's just not enough time to do it but yeah. Season 4.

I'm there.

villainous monk

Imo tournaments are way more chill than people are on this site. Idk why it's so hateful here but usually people are pretty nice irl especially at locals ( german and netherland Community is super nice to everyone here)
I suspect so. I plan on going to Toryuken in Toronto this month and if my hand is healed going to the locals there.

I'm going to try. I need to try and face stronger opponents like Bio, Gunshow and of course Honeybee.

Your right. It's is hateful here at times but I pay no mind to them.

And I choose not to listen not follow in stupidity that they spew.

villainous monk

as someone who attended their first offline tournament this year, don't let tym drama stop you. It was honestly some of the most fun I've had playing this game and I didn't even do that well.
I'm really looking forward to going to my first this May. I won't be able to compeate but I'm going to go and support the scene.

Once I'm healed. I'll go and train hard for the Canada Cup. Or something soon.

Thanks for the advice yall. I'll most definitely take it to heart.

the.hamburglar

Alien keeps me up at night
right
mileena being a shitter on the games release (said pre release on a podcast)
tanya being dlc

wrong
fujin was going to be in kp2
baraka was going to be in kp2
ethereal def being mileena's best variation after the mkxl changes (said day 1 of onlinebeta lol)

undecided
liu kang is cancer
Not as cancer as Kung Jin

LIGUE

Noob
I was wrong about:
1. Erron Black being bad - When he first debuted during the combat cast, I thought he was going to be terrible. His gameplay reminded me of Styker/Joker archetype, which were both bad. I wanted to main him though cause, I love that design (Played Chris Redfield in MVC and Joker Injustice). But I was definitely wrong on him being bad.

2. Reptile being top tier and very popular - Reptile was my other most anticipated combat cast (Played him in MK9). After seeing his original form, I thought he would be super top tier. Nimble/ Stinky/ Deceptive all looked really good. His claw swipe was an overhead at the time, and stopping forceballs looked so OP (Reptile with his own ice clone). I remember everyone speculating that he would be extremely good despite not having a diverse variation system, and because of that I thought he would be one of the more popular characters. When the game came out, I never took in how meter dependant he would be, the claw no longer being a mix up but rather a safe move ender, and he relatively lower damage output mid screen. Reptile's first iteration was actually really bad, but through patching he got better. Although Reptile isn't top tier, he is one of the few MKX characters that I think sits at a perfectly 'balanced position'. which is great. He has a top tier toolset limited but his meter dependancy and damage output, which makes him fair. He is also not being used by many people which I find surprising (it might be because many people are off put by his 'reptile' design). I reckoned he'd be at least as popular as Ermac.

Tweedy

Noob
I believed everyone who didn't play Kung Lao when they said that Kung Lao was the best in the game.

I thought that Lasher Takeda sucked.

I thought Sub Zero was going to be top 5 after the XL patch.

I thought Jax would be top 3 after the XL patch(still debatable I suppose, but nah, probably not).

I thought that the Ninjutsu buffs wouldn't be nearly as good as they are.

Everyone who thinks that Alien is #1 needs to put that on their list.

Edit: Didn't notice that we're supposed to put what we were right and wrong about. I just put what I was wrong about. I will say this.

A person who uses only Kung Lao, or mostly Kung Lao, will never see a top 8 at any significant online or offline tournament, ever again. No top 16s if they only use Kung Lao.

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
These were really on point.

I enjoy the game a lot and think there's a lot of skill to it, but the skill set is definitely different to many other FGs. For one thing, purely relying on a reactionary footsie style is, in my opinion, completely unviable at the top level in this game. The defensive movement is too poor and there are tons of unreactable things so you constantly have to guess. A big part of the skill is knowing all of your options, your opponents options, and the risk / reward on them, so your guesses are informed.

I think that's why we don't see any capcom guys with good fundamentals placing well. Generic fighting game fundamentals don't cut it in this game (although of course it helps). In past NRS games they stopped placing later in the games life too, but in MKX they stopped placing way quicker, despite having tons of incentive ($$$) to try.

Tanya as a whole is kinda bleh now and I disagree with the damage nerf especially but I don't think Kobu is comparable to Balanced Kenshi, Cyber Sub-Zero, Ancestral Kung Jin, Inferno Scorpion, Hat Trick Lao, non Dragon's Breath Bo, Master of Storms Raiden, Naginata Tanya, or even Metallic Tremor for that matter. I think that constitutes a low mid or higher end of low tier variation which I agree is pretty bad but I don't think she's as bad as those characters.
Naginata Tanya is better than Kobu Jutsu, and so is Pyromancer

TamedLizard

Buff George
2. Reptile being top tier and very popular - Reptile was my other most anticipated combat cast (Played him in MK9). After seeing his original form, I thought he would be super top tier. Nimble/ Stinky/ Deceptive all looked really good. His claw swipe was an overhead at the time, and stopping forceballs looked so OP (Reptile with his own ice clone). I remember everyone speculating that he would be extremely good despite not having a diverse variation system, and because of that I thought he would be one of the more popular characters. When the game came out, I never took in how meter dependant he would be, the claw no longer being a mix up but rather a safe move ender, and he relatively lower damage output mid screen. Reptile's first iteration was actually really bad, but through patching he got better. Although Reptile isn't top tier, he is one of the few MKX characters that I think sits at a perfectly 'balanced position'. which is great. He has a top tier toolset limited by his meter dependancy and damage output, which makes him fair. He is also not being used by many people which I find surprising (it might be because many people are off put by his 'reptile' design). I reckoned he'd be at least as popular as Ermac.
Reptile was one of the few who received nothing but buffs for a good minute. Even though his variations aren't as diverse as others, Reptile is just really good as a base character anyway.

Has a great, fast mid with a mixup built into the full string, and the ability to 50/50 said mixup. F4~Slide is the conditioning tool of the gods, I tell ya.

Safe OH and specials. Good damage (these days) anywhere on the screen (Nimble is ludicrous in the corner lol). Fantastic armor and reversal options (6f nearly full screen and now comboable low? Nuff said.) Not to mention both of his other armor options launch for at LEAST 28%.

Reptile is fair and (most of the time :p) honest. You can't really auto pilot this character. Imo the only thing he has that you can abuse is D3~B2/B3 shenanigans. And even that will get you only so far vs experienced players.

JerzeyReign

PSN: JerzeyReign
This is why I'm so apprehensive and wery of joining and eventually going to tournaments. It's seems so toxic and ill.
The tournament attending of my experience has been awesome. Trying to research and meet more people through forums/social media has unearthed the bitching. Haven't met one dickhead person yet while attending a tournament.

The PantyChrist

Rest in Pantiez
Right: the run mechanic was going to lead to a purely rushdown/offensive style game where it is far to easy to close space.

Wrong: after the variation reveal for Lao I thought hat trick was going to be the strongest variation once people figured out really good setups with it.
to be fair he looked like he would be stronger in the kombat kast

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
The changes you are referring too really affected nothing other than ease of execution and like 1% damage. Plus, it's NRS. Just because they changed something and then changed it again doesn't mean that they were correct either of those times. And this final implementation of the string is almost the same in application as the second implementation, while the first implementation was much different to both. As I said, he was fine. He's still fine now as well.

oh I don't know, the fact that she can now armor gaps without getting broken? The fact that like the one hole in her game was IMPROVED, while literally every other top tier character received significant nerfs? Nerfing her worst variation doesn't mean shit when her best one got buffed, its just another example of NRS fuckery

So, you agree with the statement that she is now likely top 5 and would be even without buffs (especially considering you don't think shes had any buffs)?
EX Ovipositor could still interrupt most false blockstrings, it wasn't exactly EX Sky Drop... That wasn't necessarily the problem. She's still sticking her neck out for an 11% tech-rollable knockdown.

And the reality is, other bad armor moves also got buffed. On a sheer economics ratio taking into account every character's available armor options, D'Vorah overall might now have the worst armor in the game.