What's new

What REO doesn't like about Mortal Kombat 11

StormGoddess

Your mind tricks won't harm me!!!
i think someone may have beat you w/ posting this video and even wrote cliff notes...

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Armor vs projectiles is a bad idea when we have characters whose literal concept is projectiles.
And Kabal's fatal blow is literally only beatable with projectiles.

Armor vs projectiles is a bad idea when we have characters whose literal concept is projectiles.
And Kabal's fatal blow is literally only beatable with projectiles.
They already have armor vs projectiles though, as well as every other kind of attack. He's just talking about taking away the armor vs normals and keeping the armor vs projectiles.

I don't really agree with him though. Personally, I would keep them how they are, but at minimum make them usable only only once per round. FBs going on a cooldown when you whiff them instead of going away entirely is the stupidest thing about them imo.

Geoffmeister

PS4/EU Ermac main
- FB System
I kinda like the change of play/risk attached to using FB's. But it needs at least double the cooldown, pretty sure that's a given.

- Hitbox whiffing

- Wake ups

I like the wake-up system too, the chances of being steamrolled is smaller. There's a lot more 'respect' going on, and the loss of a meter allows the next combo within 10~seconds to be uninterruptable. I do have a problem against jumpouts on wakeups, but I think unfortunately, there isn't much to convert off AA-pokes, when they actually should (and I play Jade, no one besides her and Kung Lao benefits more from this).

- Teleports
No one's talking about this... for no good reason. They are too oppressive, have too strong defensive and offensive utility.
Scorpion, Skarlet, Raiden, Cetrion are strong tournament picks just because of this. Full-screen guessing situations or capitalizing off projectiles.
Kollektor, Liu and Mileena's are somewhat unexplored... But I don't think are much worse.
Noob and Kung Lao have honest and reactable teleports, those are fine, Noobs may even need a slight improvement.

- Customization mode
Really, this kinda makes no sense. This was intended for casual play, and it is unnecessarily restricting... (A lot of the stuff that's for casuals... doesn't seem fun for casuals. Combos (lol), The Krypt, Towers... I played most of it and some stuff has been really hit or miss... mostly huge misses, but a lot of ambition and potential).

Even just characters in general..
You're telling me Sub-Zero can't have an ice-clone but Geras and Frost sortof do? Every time he shoots those little ice sprinkles wearing his funny little pirate hat I can't help but feel bad for him..
Or Geras stealing Shao Kahns wake-up? LOL .. Kitana can't (or barely) convert off AirFans... Jax' distance closer is his FB, Jade's staff is goddamn green.. Anyway, my point is character identity is a bit lacking, across the board pretty much. And it'd probably take big balance changes to fix some of that.

My main non-gameplay issue, is how Ranked Matchmaking has been since launch... also... not a lot of open discussion about this.
  • Cross-region is cool and all... but what about the option? Wouldn't the option to play (at least) <100ms games be awesome... for 100% of the people playing this game competitively?
  • Stuff like e-league... I think is awesome and great, but there's this dark cloud hanging over it, specifically for this reason..
Online/offline is a big difference enough as is... going over 100ms+ is just.. rage inducing, unhealthy for everyone playing and probably brought in unwarranted complaints. No good reason this wasn't in as of launch, and same goes for those tournament variations (WHICH ARE NOW JUMBLED UP ANYWAY, THANKS NRS).
I'll say though, having the ability to just play FT3 online outweighs me having to Quit Out of 50% of the games I get paired up with. But if there ever was a QoL update fix needed... it's this one.

(and Cinematics not hiding my meters would be great too)

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
They already have armor vs projectiles though, as well as every other kind of attack. He's just talking about taking away the armor vs normals and keeping the armor vs projectiles.

I don't really agree with him though. Personally, I would keep them how they are, but at minimum make them usable only only once per round. FBs going on a cooldown when you whiff them instead of going away entirely is the stupidest thing about them imo.
Fair enough. I misunderstood that part, then.
I know that I hit people out on the startup frames often enough.

Otherwise, I think they are fine as a comeback move, on paper.

Conceptually though, we need to decide if they are specials or normals.
I typically mean how Kabal's is a hyped up nomad dash that teleports and is safe but a lot of characters just try to hit you at short range.

Vastly

Noob
- FB System
I kinda like the change of play/risk attached to using FB's. But it needs at least double the cooldown, pretty sure that's a given.

- Hitbox whiffing

- Wake ups

I like the wake-up system too, the chances of being steamrolled is smaller. There's a lot more 'respect' going on, and the loss of a meter allows the next combo within 10~seconds to be uninterruptable. I do have a problem against jumpouts on wakeups, but I think unfortunately, there isn't much to convert off AA-pokes, when they actually should (and I play Jade, no one besides her and Kung Lao benefits more from this).

- Teleports
No one's talking about this... for no good reason. They are too oppressive, have too strong defensive and offensive utility.
Scorpion, Skarlet, Raiden, Cetrion are strong tournament picks just because of this. Full-screen guessing situations or capitalizing off projectiles.
Kollektor, Liu and Mileena's are somewhat unexplored... But I don't think are much worse.
Noob and Kung Lao have honest and reactable teleports, those are fine, Noobs may even need a slight improvement.

- Customization mode
Really, this kinda makes no sense. This was intended for casual play, and it is unnecessarily restricting... (A lot of the stuff that's for casuals... doesn't seem fun for casuals. Combos (lol), The Krypt, Towers... I played most of it and some stuff has been really hit or miss... mostly huge misses, but a lot of ambition and potential).

Even just characters in general..
You're telling me Sub-Zero can't have an ice-clone but Geras and Frost sortof do? Every time he shoots those little ice sprinkles wearing his funny little pirate hat I can't help but feel bad for him..
Or Geras stealing Shao Kahns wake-up? LOL .. Kitana can't (or barely) convert off AirFans... Jax' distance closer is his FB, Jade's staff is goddamn green.. Anyway, my point is character identity is a bit lacking, across the board pretty much. And it'd probably take big balance changes to fix some of that.

My main non-gameplay issue, is how Ranked Matchmaking has been since launch... also... not a lot of open discussion about this.
  • Cross-region is cool and all... but what about the option? Wouldn't the option to play (at least) <100ms games be awesome... for 100% of the people playing this game competitively?
  • Stuff like e-league... I think is awesome and great, but there's this dark cloud hanging over it, specifically for this reason..
Online/offline is a big difference enough as is... going over 100ms+ is just.. rage inducing, unhealthy for everyone playing and probably brought in unwarranted complaints. No good reason this wasn't in as of launch, and same goes for those tournament variations (WHICH ARE NOW JUMBLED UP ANYWAY, THANKS NRS).
I'll say though, having the ability to just play FT3 online outweighs me having to Quit Out of 50% of the games I get paired up with. But if there ever was a QoL update fix needed... it's this one.

(and Cinematics not hiding my meters would be great too)
I think the fact that Noob's teleport tracks you now and will actually grab you while you are jumping in is insanely good and his TP definitely doesn't need a buff. In MK9 if you jumped forward it would miss because he teleported where you were, which seemed fair to me. Teleports in the game are ridiculous not just because of how fast they are but because their recovery is really quick. It shouldn't be so free, I think if they had more recovery frames it would be a bit better.

- Teleports
eating 15 seconds of free oki pressure for spending 2 defensive bars on ONE far teleport is utter nonsense. also all of the close teleports are full combo punishable.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
I hate the way Fatal Blows work, as well. Obviously it won't happen, but if they removed them completely, I think the game would be so much better. Longer cooldown or only being able to use it once (whether it hits or not), would be a good start.

Other than that, the only thing that truly bothers me is the complete lack of combo variety/freedom for most characters. It's so fucking boring to me to play a character who can basically only do a string into a special and that's the end of your combo. It feels so limited for absolutely no reason.

My wish, as a casual player who still tries to improve every time I play, is that in the future every character will have a combo-heavy variation added. I don't care how much they scale or whatever. I just miss the combos.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
He brings up some decent points, but I still disagree with people that don't like the wakeup system. I also don't think the teleports are broken status. The fatal blows are what they are, maybe some minor adjustments over time. (one time use in round, no recovery? I'm fine if they're the same anyway)

I do however 100% agree with him that NRS was smoking crack when they sold this as a "customizable character" game...

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
I agree with him on hitboxes and customized variation system being limited.

- Wakups
Wakeup System is fine the way it is. It promotes neutral, a turn by turn based meta and removes looping offensive oppression. That's a good thing. There are countries to every wake-up option. Wait and bait counter every option. If you take away wakeup options the game will become mkx. Fuck your turn!

- Teleports:
Teleports that allow you to go half screen behind opponents are completely fine the way they are. They cost a defensive bar and remove the ability to breakaway and limit wakeup shortly after.

My personal complaints:

- Combos
They are very short and lackluster, many characters need more options to launch and better KB options and even more KBs. If they are wanting each player to have more turns then they could easily scale the damage of longer combos to return both players to neutral.

- KB requirements need to be changed so they are useable.

- Looping throw pressure should not be a thing. Gerald has thorns that put you right next to him on touch he is guaranteed 50/50 or that the opponent has to spend a bar to escape the vortex.

I am completely against characters getting Loki 50/50 pressure that loops just because they one once in neutral. Just cuz you won one shouldn't give you oppression on wakeup that loops. Its like players want no neutral because they landed a 50/50 but claim in the same breath they want vortex because they won neutral once. No you have to make reads on thief wakeup just like they do or just play smart and wait for roll or armored wakeup to blow em up for mashing wakeup every time.
Defense and offensive play need to stay strong. There is a good balance and it is neutral based aside from a few special moves that completely ignore it.

- janky special moves:
There are plenty of special moves that either don't work or are severely impractical like:
-Kotals Quake, Sunlight, Cat.
  • Cassies: Fatal blow and flip out.
  • Johnny: Mime Time, Say Cheese, Throwing Shades.
  • Shao Kahns: Taunts and spear going over females.
  • Kabals: Spin and Gas
  • D'Vorah : everything lmao
  • Error Black: TnT Toss
  • Kung Lao: cost of omega hat.
Just to name a few off the top of my head. All of the useless or impractical specials need to be changed.

Combo and Basic moves being useless or very unsafe:
- Lung Lao: has several moves that are either gimicky or just too unsafe. He can be played in a very basic way but most of his moveset doesn't work in this meta.
21 is high, high, high And very punishable.
F13 ect
  • Kotal: has serious hitbox issues that plague his gameplay at a fundamental level. Counter poking is a staple of gameplay in this meta and his pokes are very buggy if not shit. D1 wiffs after every blocked normal or after opponent pokes and you block. He wiffs on several core moves like: D1, D3, F1, 1, 2, B2 and B22. Even his Command Grab wiffs in average D1 range. This completely destroys his close up game and his odds of winning in most situations you encounter in every match.
  • Frost: has many hotbox issues including B22 xx DB4, B12 xx DB4, 22 xx DB4 etc.
The list goes on. Many moves are made useless or too risky to use because they have issues, don't offer much reward vs risk or are very unsafe or certain moves pale in comparison to the characters best 3 moves:
Liu Kang: F4, Parry, B124.
Kollector: F12
Johnny: F344, B34
Cassie: F41, B243
Baraka: B312, 112, 122, F4
Sonya: B123, B3u4, B14, 134
Geras: F22, 111, F4
Kabal: B12, F41+3, F22
Kitana: B231, B14
Kotal: F4, F34, F24, F12
Shao: F341+3, F24, 142
Sub Zero: F2, B32, F4

Those where examples of how characters mainly use their best tools leaving the others for occasional situations.
I hope everyone's movelist gets revisited so thief toolkits are more diverse instead of seeing the sane moves abused.

Last edited:

Ayx

Omnipresent
I play Cetrion and can't lie when I say I agree her 1 bar far TP is busted and that goes for all TP chars that have that ability.

First off when both chars have TP it's such an absolute mess that sometimes even the screen can't catchup with you at times.

The biggest issue is how powerful of a tool it is to condition non-TP characters for the cost of 1 def. bar. For example you can begin by doing a non-bar spend TP and grab them. Or see what they do. After 1-3 teleports generally they become conditioned to your TP and begin a counter strategy by having a setup just for when you do it. But wait, NOPE, the far back TP allows (at least for Cetrion) to fully 100% punish someone pressing a button once you TP because they expected a full punish on you so they rarely mash like D1 or something. Not to mention if it's a Non-TP char if you choose, you control the entire zone again and can turtle until you get your bar back allowing you to do breakaways etc for when you finally get hit.

tl;dr - They should cost both bars of defense for that utility. You don't see a lot of TP chars abuse it just yet but face a good Cet or Skarlet and you'll start seeing how draining it is to have them have a get away from corner car for a huge discount compared to other chars.

Nortnauq

QUAN CHI FOR DLC
I play Cetrion and can't lie when I say I agree her 1 bar far TP is busted and that goes for all TP chars that have that ability.

First off when both chars have TP it's such an absolute mess that sometimes even the screen can't catchup with you at times.

The biggest issue is how powerful of a tool it is to condition non-TP characters for the cost of 1 def. bar. For example you can begin by doing a non-bar spend TP and grab them. Or see what they do. After 1-3 teleports generally they become conditioned to your TP and begin a counter strategy by having a setup just for when you do it. But wait, NOPE, the far back TP allows (at least for Cetrion) to fully 100% punish someone pressing a button once you TP because they expected a full punish on you so they rarely mash like D1 or something. Not to mention if it's a Non-TP char if you choose, you control the entire zone again and can turtle until you get your bar back allowing you to do breakaways etc for when you finally get hit.

tl;dr - They should cost both bars of defense for that utility. You don't see a lot of TP chars abuse it just yet but face a good Cet or Skarlet and you'll start seeing how draining it is to have them have a get away from corner car for a huge discount compared to other chars.
My only beef with this is for Raiden. His "zoning" is nothing compared to Cetrion or even Skarlet. He really has no advantage when far teleporting so his should still cost one bar, since most of his defensive meter is used for Electric Fly cancel pressure imo.