What's new

What is your preferred controller and why?

What is your preferred controller?

• Total voters

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
I play MK on ps2 pad, Injustice on stick. I did this because i wanted to still play mk and didnt want to mess up my muscle memory.

But i also did it because sicks make you a better person. If you've ever played someone who sits down next to you and takes their stick gently out of their bag and places it on their lap, your thinking "Man...I cant compete with that."

TL;DR

Bigger is better

Vagrant

Noob
Depends on game.

I like 360 pad or Hitbox for IGAU
360 pad for any block button game
Hitbox for UMVC3
Hitbox for KI
Hitbox for SF4

Basically I prefer a Hitbox for back to block. I feel you can react quicker with your finger already on the back button. It's great for airdashers as well.

I like having my finger on the block trigger though for block button games and Im one of the few who prefer the Xbox 360 pad. It's easy for me to flick out the motions on the disc type d pad.

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
If you'd asked me this question sooner, I'd have voted for the PS3 pad without hesitation.

But now, I'm attached to the Xbox 360 pad, of all things. And this is coming from someone who lived by Playstation pads for generations.
How? It boggles me how many input errors i get on it. Im jealous man..

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
The Xbox 360 controller for sure. Sure, the PS3's d-pad is "better" by most peoples' standards, but I find that to be horseshit. I use them both just fine. I just like the feel of the 360 controller more than the PS3 controller.
I become a completly different animal at tournaments when i can use a ps2 pad. I play on both ok i guess, but the xbox controller bodys me

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
PS1 pad is my favorite I've ever used. Don't plan on changing it out.

Love the fact it has no thumbsticks, so I have no converter issues. Incredibly cheap to replace should mine ever die.
Interesting...i didnt realize those get rid of the analog stick bug. Nothing worse than a converter that makes you walk backwards for no reason

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
Xbox pad. Why, you ask?

A. I already own one, therefor, it is the cheapest option
B. Let's me roll inputs easier, unlike the ps controllers which have gaps between the pad
C. It's more familiar and I hate the weird dual triggers for the ps pads
D. I don't have to carry a brick around to tournaments (hitbox/stick... I'm looking at you)

TLDR

Basically, Xbox pad b/c I'm cheap, lazy, and don't like change.

;)
$10

Maasik

Noob
I gotta go with the 360 pad, only because personally I prefer the bigger D-Pad and I like how the triggers aren't so big. Grew up on Xbox though so there might be some bias haha.

GGA HAN

Galloping Ghost Arcade
Everyone around my scene knows I'm a stick guy, but I'm no snob about it. I see many different pros/cons to each input method, with stick being a good compromise of accuracy and speed of inputs. Also, growing up in the arcade era, I have too much muscle memory that is "programmed" for stick use; I just fumble around with other controllers like a drunk baboon. Because of all this, I have amassed a large quantity of sticks for all the systems that I played fighting games on over the years - I probably have over 30 joysticks in my collection at home! :eek:

Everyone around my scene knows I'm a stick guy, but I'm no snob about it. I see many different pros/cons to each input method, with stick being a good compromise of accuracy and speed of inputs. Also, growing up in the arcade era, I have too much muscle memory that is "programmed" for stick use; I just fumble around with other controllers like a drunk baboon. Because of all this, I have amassed a large quantity of sticks for all the systems that I played fighting games on over the years - I probably have over 30 joysticks in my collection at home! :eek:
Name your top 5 pads.

LionHeart

Whisper within a sigh
Logitech F710 for NRS games and a custom Fighting Stick for USF4 (Still learning though. Been playing for a couple of months...)

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
god damn ive had a hori gempad (shit) around 30 ps 2 pads (ranging from good to shit) stock x box pad (garbage) x box twisty d-pad (good till 2 weeks later when the d-pad pops out )
ps 1 pad (ok felt stiff) evilcontroller evil d-pad (best one ive used no convertor input issues only problem is the cable died on me and i dont know how to fix it 8( )

The stock hitbox comes with a cthulu pcb which doesn't work with next gen meaning you'll have to get it modded for x1 or PS4.

I think hitbox is superior to all other inputs in games that don't have any full or half circle movements (even then I'm sure it'll work). Dashing, fireball inputs, dps, all come out with flawless execution on a hitbox. The problem I have with the hitbox sometimes is I find I need to slow myself down, the execution is so easy that sometimes I do my inputs too quick.

TONY-T

Mad scientist
Any Ps pad up until ps3 pad are the most accurate for fighting games imo. Far superior d-pads.

The PS4 pad is ok but it has its downfalls, one being the buttons are now placed closer together. This really messes up certain inputs. Also the d-pad has become extremely stiff. I like the pad but imo the ps3 one is still better for fighting games. This is probably the first time ive actually liked a previous console pad better then the new one.

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter which is better, it comes down to personal preference and what your most comfortable with.

Hruza Da Bruza

Must Mash Harder!!!!!
As a person who has played Pad, Stick, and Hitbox I would have to say Hitbox is the greatest way to play fighting games. No input errors, perfect execution, and it's lightweight so it just feels great. If you ever get the chance to try hitbox, g highly recommend it.

AK Stormthegates

WOOLAY!!!!
This is the arcade stick that I own but have only used like maybe 10 times at most. >_>

I have the regular EX version of this and outside of it's huge size and blockiness this is my favorite brand of stick. I absolutely prefer HORIs over Madcatz sticks any day of the week except for the poverty versions that came out early in SF4's lifespan.

Also my HRAP finally kicked the bucket. RIP 2010-2014 you served me well.

E

Eldriken

I have the regular EX version of this and outside of it's huge size and blockiness this is my favorite brand of stick. I absolutely prefer HORIs over Madcatz sticks any day of the week except for the poverty versions that came out early in SF4's lifespan.

Also my HRAP finally kicked the bucket. RIP 2010-2014 you served me well.
Oh, I love the thing, but I just can't get accustomed to it. It's likely due to me being lazy about it.

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
@AK L0rdoftheFLY
took me a while to get used to Hitbox (still am but getting a lot better). I find it rewards good execution and will heavily punish the opposite. But that is a good feedback tool while you're getting used to it. Nothing beats doing an air dash so low your opponent goes "oh, shit!", for example (@Chuckychuck:DOGE )

The HB is not as clunky as some people think. Granted, it's obviously larger than a pad but tends to be smaller than most sticks. As a staunch ergonomist (as my profession requires) I like the way that my hands rest on the HB which contributes to neutral and slightly open packed position of the wrists so as not to compress the carpal tunnel, which happens in more gamers than I had originally thought. My only gripe with it (and it's small) is the fact that sometimes there is a cable issue in terms of where it plugs into your hitbox. Sometimes it can get dislodged or just too bent and you can't connect to your console. My buddy @_xFriction got me an RJ 45 cable to fix that issue and so far, so good.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
Actually, the best Pad I've every played on for MK9 was the MLG pro controller.

the one you could interchange the Dpad and take the sticks right out.

The problem with this controller was it wasn't dual modded and it cost a shit load of money, the other problem was it busted after a month, Twice, so that shit sucked.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Hitbox all the way!!! Though it does come with its own set of problems. Learning when to release buttons is just as important as when to press them, since up overrides down, and left+right=neutral. So if I'm doing IAFB's and don't "slap" the up button, I can end up still pressing it when I press down, which won't register. Like others have said, it's so easy to do inputs on Hitbox that you can do them too quickly and not leave yourself enough time to release the buttons in the correct order.

That said, it makes some things stupid easy. I've been playing Viper in USFIV, and since she's got a super jump cancel, I can do her Seismo's by simply pressing d+f+u+punch, all as one simultaneous input. Want to do rapid-fire seismo cancels? Just do that input repeatedly. Want to super junp cancel any attack into seismo? Just do that input. Makes FADCing a breeze as well. Same with any instant air move. Man I love Hitbox!!!

Last edited:

JTB123

>>R2 - BF4 = Unblockable.
PS2 pad, but I can play competently on a stick or hitbox.

The main thing that suffers for me when I move away from the pad is movement, it goes to complete shit. Going from moving my character with a single digit to using my whole hand is an adjustment I just can't make.