What's new

What is your preferred controller and why?

What is your preferred controller?

• Total voters

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I have always used a ps2 pad but I prefer the control Hitbox gives me. I used one for a few weeks but had to return it and am in the market. Flyborg was looking good.

I'll buy one off someone cause $225 is steep for a new one. (PM ME)

Pros:
Durability of inputs
Cross platform (modded too for next gen)
More precise control
No drag of inputs like on stick

Cons:
Expensive
Large
Non traditional and hard to master

What do you prefer?

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
If you'd asked me this question sooner, I'd have voted for the PS3 pad without hesitation.

But now, I'm attached to the Xbox 360 pad, of all things. And this is coming from someone who lived by Playstation pads for generations.

Koor

Hot Gyahbage
I use the SFxT fightpad. Its comfortable for my hands, clean inputs, and cheap as dirt.

Mst

Noob
Got a stick but i really want a Hitbox but $60 for shipping to europe... but i will most likely get one anyway whenever the guys from akishop found a way to get the board fully working for PS4. And i will never play a Fighting Game again with a 360 pad i hate that dpad.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
whhhhhhhat?
I know. When I first picked up my own Xbox, I had no time to get a converter and therefore had to start with an Xbox pad. I was amazed by how well I adapted to it.

It probably also helps me manage alternate controls better, as opposed to the PS4 pad which doesn't want to let me cancel my strings into MB Batarangs. :(

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
PS2 pad FTW. Great D-pad that feels solid. I feel the d-pad on PS3 pads gets loose quickly.

I also prefer the L2 and R2 buttons on the PS2 pads to the same buttons on the PS3 pads.

I played MK4 on keyboard and it felt awesome. I tried playing MK9 on keyboard for a few weeks but I was too used to pads by then and I kept messing up some inputs, especially Smoke's 3d12 for some reason.
However it still makes more sense to be able to use most of your fingers compared to using only your thumbs (mainly). So I might really like the Hitbox, but I haven't tried it yet.

Last edited:

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
It's cheeper to make your own hitbox if you are handy and know what you need, if it's only the price tag holding you back.

GGA Saucy Jack

The artist formerly known as ImNewbieSauce
PS1 pad is my favorite I've ever used. Don't plan on changing it out.

Love the fact it has no thumbsticks, so I have no converter issues. Incredibly cheap to replace should mine ever die.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Xbox pad. Why, you ask?

A. I already own one, therefor, it is the cheapest option
B. Let's me roll inputs easier, unlike the ps controllers which have gaps between the pad
C. It's more familiar and I hate the weird dual triggers for the ps pads
D. I don't have to carry a brick around to tournaments (hitbox/stick... I'm looking at you)

TLDR

Basically, Xbox pad b/c I'm cheap, lazy, and don't like change.

;)

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
ps2 pad with convertor.i find it perfect for mk9 and injustice.used to play on stick before my accident and tbh still miss it but ps2 pad is a great substitute.

I'm currently using an original PS1 controller with the eXtokki converter on 360. Switched from PS3 to see if the netcode was any better and have just stuck with it. The dpad for the PS1 controller is pretty stiff, might just be due to age. I ordered a PS2 controller (since mine weren't working), hoping that'll be a little smoother.

I also use the Xbox One controller on PC and haven't had any problems with it. Still prefer any Dualshock/ PS pad though.

hunchy

Professional Drunk
Stick is the way to go for me.
I started as a SC (Soul Calibur) player and struggled with some inputs on pad. Now I could never go back to pad for a fighting game it just would not feel right.
Also sticks look sexy anyways ;)

The cons you listed are hardly cons. Even though it is expensive, the investment is worth it. It is the better option in the longterm, practice makes perfect. I am the kinda guy that wouldn't allow a little money or time to get in the way of my improvement.

E

Eldriken

The Xbox 360 controller for sure. Sure, the PS3's d-pad is "better" by most peoples' standards, but I find that to be horseshit. I use them both just fine. I just like the feel of the 360 controller more than the PS3 controller.

Xbox360 Pad master race.

I sometimes switch between d-pad and analog stick during fights. Analog stick makes 720s and tigerknee motions easier but I find it super awkward to dash with. So for movement in general I use the d-pad.

I found a trick to kara-throw, multi-button tech, negative edge Ultra and do most things on pad. Unfortunately the only things I can't do consistently are plinks and pianoing. So there are some characters I can't play at all like Decapre in SF and characters who rely on 1 frame links.

E

Eldriken

Xbox360 Pad master race.

I sometimes switch between d-pad and analog stick during fights. Analog stick makes 720s and tigerknee motions easier but I find it super awkward to dash with. So for movement in general I use the d-pad.

I found a trick to kara-throw, multi-button tech, negative edge Ultra and do most things on pad. Unfortunately the only things I can't do consistently are plinks and pianoing. So there are some characters I can't play at all like Decapre in SF and characters who rely on 1f links.
You deleted this post in the other thread too quickly for me to comment on it. =P Damn you.

E

Eldriken

I've been using PS pads so long I don't think I could ever get used to anything else. I wish I could play on hitbox, but I can't even type without looking down.
I can type without looking at the screen AND know when I make an error while doing so.

GET ON MY LEVEL.