What's new

What is your day 1 hot take?

babalook

Noob
No again , hes still good with ndc pressure.
Gunna have to strongly disagree, spending defensive meter to make his best strings, f22 and b12, +1 and neutral respectively is a bad tradeoff while many other characters can get roughly the same results for no meter, and his NDC preset has no combo damage, no corner carry, no restand (which got nerfed to +2 from +6), no mixups, and he looses his default diagonal air saw for the shitty horizontal one.

Vagrant

Noob
Game feels great.

Not having tournament variation presets ready to go, early server issues, the corny WWE tier storytelling, and the vegas slot machine vibe, are all getting in the way. Definitely feels like they did each aspect of the game w/ seperate teams and then just stitched everything together. The result is kind of a mess. Lucikly all I really care about is the engine.

I don't blame people for feeling weird about the game.

Sorry, not really a hot take. lol

Last edited:

babalook

Noob
Still a little early to be talking about this but neat that the game calculates cancels on block. Gonna be pretty helpful
I mean we had Kabal in the beta, his combo paths are extremely limited so it isn't hard to definitively say that we know his max damage midscreen off B12 or F22. A quick glance at erron, sonya, geras, and jax (probably others) make Kabal look pretty lacking.

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
The whole variation system is a giant fuckin goat rodeo. It’s like NRS moved on from their exes (MKX variations and Inj2 gear) and found a new girl who’s better in every way and down for absolutely anything but when it came down to crunch time even though this new girl was ready and willing, NRS only got as far as playing just the tip with her.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
The grinding for gear aspect side, the game is great.

Hot Take: Early character viability and popularity will heavily depend on the moves chosen for the tournament variations. Kabal not having his Hook Grab in either of his is bullshit.
So how the F can we get decent combo damage?

Same as I felt with IJ1 and IJ2, started off feeling kind of slow and thinking maybe I wouldn't be into it. Then, I saw vids of what other players were discovering and it got me hyped lol

My hot take is that there's way too many strings you have to mash out (ex. the movelist says 2,1,1,2 but if you press 2,1 nothing happens, you have to press the 1,1,2 in quick succession) in the game and it's annoying.

Kronika's announcer voice sounds extremely bored when saying rounds and doesn't put any emphasis on FIGHT, but whenever I do a fatality she sounds happy as a little girl who got a kitten for hit birthday.
When I saw that I can unlock Shao Kahn's voice as an announcer I thought "weird, I thought the base voice is Shao Kahn".
Skins are very samey, even on Johnny Cage. Wife beater with mk logo x10, same wife beater but with no logo and different pants x10, etc.
The icons in the main menu are pretty cool, it telling me in how long the game will be downloaded is cool as well.

Game is cleaaan as hell..Noob is not as interesting as I thought he would be..Really wish they didnt handle the variation system the way they did...Waiting on Nightwolf to drop but Day 1 and i am thinking about what character to learn..

E

Eldriken

Kronika's announcer voice sounds extremely bored when saying rounds and doesn't put any emphasis on FIGHT, but whenever I do a fatality she sounds happy as a little girl who got a kitten for hit birthday.
When I saw that I can unlock Shao Kahn's voice as an announcer I thought "weird, I thought the base voice is Shao Kahn".
Skins are very samey, even on Johnny Cage. Wife beater with mk logo x10, same wife beater but with no logo and different pants x10, etc.
The icons in the main menu are pretty cool, it telling me in how long the game will be downloaded is cool as well.
The default announcer is the voice of Goro. It's the same in MK9 and MKX.

I don't have a hot take right now.

E

Eldriken

I don't think that's true. They are voiced by different people. The announcer seems to just be an abstract voice.
Huh. Weird. I was under the impression that it was the same person. Oh well. Learn something new every day!