What's new

What is your day 1 hot take?

Dr. Cheesesteak

pygophile and podophile
Characters feel incomplete.. bland...
Yeah, I feel they could've added more specials in the preset variations.

Which brings me up to my only tepid feeling about the game - pretty much only being willing to learn the presets. Sure, I can experiment w/ kustom variations, but my brain can only handle so much and since I have a monthly and weekly I can go to, I figure I might as well just stick to the presets. Which is a shame, b/c a lot of characters I was looking forward to trying out are missing tools I wanted or don't have the combo of tools/specials I wanted in their default variations.

Besides that, I'm enjoying it so far. Microtransactions don't bother me. Only showing Top 3 played characters offline kinda does, tho (yeah, I have stats OCD).

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Characters feel incomplete.. bland...

Mechanics are good though. Too bad nrs played it safe and made everyone bad lol
I agree with this "incompleteness" to some extent because most characters seem like they should have 1 more base move from their list of variation abilities. For example, D'Vorah should have her bonus combo strings, Noob should have his slide clone, Sub should have his projectile-eating enhancement to ice ball, and Jade should have her air glaive or up glaive. This issue is especially noticeable with the current tournament variations being so damn limited.

My day 1 hot take is im mad salty other characters have awesome footsies strings into safe stuff but Kotal got hosed hardcore.

Yeah yeah tick grab command throw don't care I was a war god player!!!!

Oh yeah I think raiden is probably super good.

Kotal only ticks off d1 or d3 correct? I'm feeling really underwhelmed with him. They took away his mix, they took away his FAST mid, they took away tick from b1 or any mid. He has 0 plus strings. They took f2 and made it a special move and it's not even a high pop up. They took away his meterburn mid projectile. They took away his ground pound cancel and they made it travel maybe 1/5 screen and made it slower.

I was so excited to main him but they butchered his moveset. It's crazy.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I suspect 6 months from now, NRS will rebalance the extra moves you get in order to allow custom variations.

Peter Quill

You’re No Fun
The Krypt, Towers of Time, and literally EVERYTHING about how you go about unlocking shit in this game is far too complicated, it’s infuriating, and it pisses me off that Netherrealm continues to go this way.

Which sucks because overall the game is very FUN to play!

I just wish I felt like I had ANY control WHATSOEVER on what I unlock! I’ve spent over 200,000 coins in the krypt and I haven’t earned a single FATALITY. NOT ONE.

FUCK EVERYTHING ABOUT THE KRYPT

jmt

Noob
Kotal only ticks off d1 or d3 correct? I'm feeling really underwhelmed with him. They took away his mix, they took away his FAST mid, they took away tick from b1 or any mid. He has 0 plus strings. They took f2 and made it a special move and it's not even a high pop up. They took away his meterburn mid projectile. They took away his ground pound cancel and they made it travel maybe 1/5 screen and made it slower.

I was so excited to main him but they butchered his moveset. It's crazy.
Agreed 100%. NRS really letting me down on multiple levels.

bigmiracle

Praise Sheeva
Another hot take: meter management is a joke in this game, and the krushing blow system is more cheesy than skillful. Zoners are complete ass, and it will probably stay that way since most scrubs think zoning is "cheap".

I think they went too ham on nerfing zoners. A lot of frame data makes no sense right now.

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
My hot take?

Its a bad game. At least for now. Bold design choices but it feels hollow. Gameplay isnt great, then idea of the new mechanics is awesome in theory, but the weight of attacks, the variation debacle, the OBVIOUS reused properties in animations, backgrounds, even the menus and ui feel sort of like Injustice 2.5.. No one will admit it because fanboys will fanboy and the comp players want those pot bonuses...

But Day 1? Im disappoint. Ill keep grinding, it may honestly just be because Kung Lao feels like they clipped his wings and In emo, but tbh, not the best MK imo.

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
I agree with this "incompleteness" to some extent because most characters seem like they should have 1 more base move from their list of variation abilities. For example, D'Vorah should have her bonus combo strings, Noob should have his slide clone, Sub should have his projectile-eating enhancement to ice ball, and Jade should have her air glaive or up glaive. This issue is especially noticeable with the current tournament variations being so damn limited.
I totally agree with this - well said. MK11 currently feels incomplete and a little limiting. It feels like most characters are missing one more default move.. As an example, Kitana is missing something like throat slice / ground square wave as a part of her standard moveset. Due to this, her official variations feel a little off.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
I think it may be the best MK to date my only complaint is thatthe characters I wanna use feel like they don't have much comboability and the combos they do are very short.

It seems like the Kombos are short, (they should be more complex like MKX) right now they are very simple but do high damage? Not sure what they where thinking making 10 hits do 50% at least when you include Krushing blows. I'd much rather have longer combos but have same damage as now(for example that 10 hit combo that does 25% should be a 13-15 hit combo (and not be String-xx-SpecialMove-Ender, instead it should be: Normal string > SpecialLauncher > Normal > SpLauncher > Normal > Ender) forsane 25%. I'm just wanting juggles to last a bit longer and be more complex, u feel characters will get very stale if each character only has 2-5 Krushing Blows and little to no launchers. Maybe add a few Normal launchers similar to (Cassie Cages 21U4 from MKX so we have something.

Character Tools:
Certain characters don't have low or overhead starters like Liu Kang and lacks ways to open others up like some characters have. He has 12 string which is plus 3 on block which is great to open opponent up but it's High, High on both hits, making it a move that should only be used once in a blue moon. Instead it should be High, Mid and one if his slower Mid starters should be slightly plus on block (+1- to +3 on block). This would help characters open up opponent while staying fair.

Frost is pretty hard to combo with midscreen besides her b32d1 starter and it's seems like you can only follow up once into ender? I haven't found a way to head bomb in middle of combos yet and it seems like her head bomb is glitching after pressure. It would be awesome if she could juggle twice in one combo. She doesn't have to have high damage midscreen and can shine in corner.

The tournament variations are kind of lackluster and are a fraction of what the character true potential can be combo wise. I hope NRS just let's us use Custom in Ranked and Tournament that way we can pick what works for us and not feel like most Characters are worthless. If they keep it how it is we will end up not using our favorite characters and just the one that's the highest tier with best damage/tools. Please bring back the creativity you promised us and marketed up until launch.

But the footsie and toned down aspect of Characters is awesome. All in all I like it but I could do with longer combos and certain characters having more launchers that you can follow up with combos more than once.

Last edited:
I just wish I felt like I had ANY control WHATSOEVER on what I unlock! I’ve spent over 200,000 coins in the krypt and I haven’t earned a single FATALITY. NOT ONE.
Wait like a week and someone will make a Krypt guide with the locations of all the items. Better to save your coins until then

Honestly I like the game but I’m staying away from the towers of time until it gets fixed. Not feeling the shortness of the combos. I don’t like the “less moves but more damage” principle. I liked the “more moves same damage” meaning we would get the same damage but more moves and practice...they are so simple now. Also the character design is extremely basic to me, I think they were way more creative with character design in MKX. Also I miss when meter burning moves led to more combo opportunities.They oversimplified the mess out of Liu Kang...I don’t like that the bicycle kick meter burned leads to more kicks and that it leads to a standing reset even when not meter burned. Looks very tacky to me.But I’m loving Jax. Maybe this was just a really good kabal player, but kabal seems very good in this game. Can’t tel what it is, he just seems great. Oh and people uppercut a ton recently

Last edited:

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
He gets a zoning tool. She gets a zoning tool. They get zoning tools. Air projectiles galore.

Basically, everyone plays the same until you’re up close. Then the better buttons win.

This game is begging for the custom build options.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Day 1 complaint is the same as day -20 complaints,

why
can't
i
use
fucking
kustom
variation
in
fucking
tournament/ranked
settings
?????
Completely 100% agreed at this point.

My guess:

Because
Derek
Hasn't
Made
His
Nut

This game is literally the fuckin' Catalina Wine Mixer. And it's driving me insane.
Someone up high needs to get punched out of a fucking treehouse, because this launch is kind of a mess.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Because everyone was using Kustom Variations and it was a blast. Imagine that NRS... IMAGINE THAT
I still have no idea how customizable variation would function in a competitive setting, but I am beginning to wonder more than ever before after examining some of these unbearably awful tournament variations.

For example, Noob's first tournament variation has a comically slow 40+ frame unblockable high projectile, a massively unsafe low-hitting projectile that only travels half screen, and an aerial teleport that is easily outmatched by the one in the second variation that launches.

I am aware that other characters have worthless tournament variations too.

Again, I wonder... are customizable variations the answer? We, as players, would be in control of the characters and moves that we want to play, not NRS.

yea just give every variation one more special move and were good, i dont want it customized but i do hate the limited movesets. Everything is too easy to defend, I miss having to anticipate true mixups and reading patterns

Jay Rupp

Human Smoke or Riot
I really like the systems and the fighting in general. Everything feels much more intentional/methodical than it has in previous entries. The neutral also seems to play a huge role and I'm definitely on board with that.
I'm pretty irritated about the comp side of things though. What's the point of all these variations if they're not balanced enough for comp play? Only having 2 gives us less variety than MKX and I definitely view that as a step backwards. Custom variations need to be available in comp. MK11 evolves around them. Ketchup had a great idea on how to make it all work.