What's new

What happened to all the Reptile players?

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
I played some casuals with you and Helter for a warm up to the match with Metsoz, I had otherwise been using CSZ all weekend.
did we? sorry man i completely cant remember.

but in all honesty i cant see every blocked elbow dash getting punished, most of them, yes, but not 100% of them, if you're scouting it then its gonna get fucked up but a fair few things in this game are better in-game scenario than on paper, if one just comes out of nowhere and you happen to block it, your timing might be a bit scewn.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
did we? sorry man i completely cant remember.

but in all honesty i cant see every blocked elbow dash getting punished, most of them, yes, but not 100% of them, if you're scouting it then its gonna get fucked up but a fair few things in this game are better in-game scenario than on paper, if one just comes out of nowhere and you happen to block it, your timing might be a bit scewn.
An example of the dash would be Chris G's Reptile at EVO, it was great, and a good example of how Reptile doesn't have to be the nastiest, slimiest fighter on the roster. He didn't dash unless he had to, and done his best to relay on fundamentals, there for, because he didn't dash for every response, the options for punishment were limited.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
i dont know enough about reptile to get involved, but just to point out.

i have to this day never played your reptile offline glue, and have had a much easier time dealing wiht repitle in general since you told us about his 'sweet spot' so to say, where he struggles.

is reptiles elbow dash punishable by the whole cast? when i play baraka i have a hard time punishing it with normals, and even the blade spin doesnt even hit half the time due to the pushback.
Whaaaaaa?

It is punishable by d1 slices for sure. You could charge after it as well. Might be able to do F4, or at least D4. This is offline experience btw, it is very punishable by Baraka at least.

CitizenSnips

A seldom used crab named Lucky. AKA Citizen Snips.
UsedForGlue I have to disagree with a lot of what you said.

Reptile does take a lot of skill to play because a Reptile abusing elbow dash and getting no good punishes is gonna be dead meat if you fight a top player. In my experience Reptile is screwed in certain distances. Specifically in the elbow dash range you can't do anything because the opponent will wait for you to do something then react. Reptile is a great character but his tool are limited to some extent. Everyone knows by now how to fight Reptile and because of this, Reptile players have to be very smart with how they play. I have played in 6 or so tournaments and every good player will blow me up if I get reckless with the dash.

The reason you see Reptiles dashing all over the place is because his mobility outside of that sucks and agasint zoners it can be a real pain in the ass to even get close. It starts looking ugly when you dash and eat projectiles but it's something you have to risk in order to get close.

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
Whaaaaaa?

It is punishable by d1 slices for sure. You could charge after it as well. Might be able to do F4, or at least D4. This is offline experience btw, it is very punishable by Baraka at least.
thats good to know, i have about 4 people who live local to me, and none of them play reptile, so the best i can do is see what i can do online ]:

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Yeah, I hear ya man lol. The dash is still a pain because it causes Baraka to have to turtle. If you try to do d1 slices you will get stuffed with a dash. BUT if you condition the reptile player to throw out dashes regularly then you can punish accordingly.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Charge is the best punish for blocked elbow. f44 is possible but tricky.

Snips's post is dead-on. Reptile's dead zone is one of the roughest screen positioning any character has to deal with in the game because he's too immobile and slow to deal with it.

BookBurning

Voidwards
Eh it's just the natural flow of things, I'm sure eventually others will pick back up Reptile; I myself have been playing with alot of characters I normally don't play as and plan to add some Reptile into the mix.

Reptile's a lame ass though, so I'm not complaining. Less of a headache for me. ;D

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Reptile and Sub used to be my mains. But both of them got constantly nerfed.

They have enough problems as is, and armor won't solve them.

Which is why I switched to Jax and Cyrax.Heard they were top tier ;)

Usedforglue lol

I love blocking a reptile dash, and punishing with 2,1 fan lift for a 36% combo
or 2,1 ex fan for a 49% combo with kitana.

It's very punishable indeed.
It's like saying in high level kitana pressure, down 1 cutter will be punished 0/10 times.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
is reptiles elbow dash punishable by the whole cast? when i play baraka i have a hard time punishing it with normals, and even the blade spin doesnt even hit half the time due to the pushback.
charge
slices
d2
throw, all punish any not ex dash
(also d1/d3 slices nice to try get into pressuring reptile)

yea the blade spin whiffs alot of the time if try punish with that,depends on were reptile dashes from

ps.that u were asking bout aa normals to f4 forgot to say if aa with doom kicks(f4,4) a dash f4 can be linked :)

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
FYI if you want to see how reptile's dash will "go unpunished 10/10 times" watch this money match from SCR:

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
how to punish reptile dash? can anysomeone helpp pleease? Excuse my english I'm european.

Get Hype and Get Some!

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
Thanks THTB :)

Also guys, Milky Situation is one of the best Reptiles. He hasn't been able to make it to tournies since EVO, but he placed top 32ish there and it was his first time playing offline. He is legit.
I can't beat his Reptile anymore. He has my Smoke downloaded. It's close regardless, but I never win. ;_;

EGP Wonder_Chef

TBH I practiced only Reptile for a bit over a month before SCR, but switched at the very last minute to Sektor.

Basically I'll still be using him for a lot of matchups, so he's one of my two shared mains.

CitizenSnips

Wonderchef do you use Sektor/Reptile because they compliment eachother or just because you like Sektor? I've been contemplating using an alt and if I do it would be between Sektor (I think he looks cool) and Mileena.

Also I recall Krayzie punishing my elbow dash with nasty combos, so yes people the dash is easily countered if you are used to fighting Reptile.

And the EX invis gives slightly extra damage but in most cases is not worth the meter because it is extremely risky. Even if you do manage to pull off one uber combo/swag combo off of it, most times you will only accomplish chip damage or get poked out of it. But I have mixed in regular invis into my combos succesfully against very good players. You just have to learn how to condition your opponent and it can be very useful.

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
are we back to patch 1 again >_> ? .....or is this thread an old one and got revived somehow...or wuts the deal here exactly?

@vvvkrayzie :O!!! ohh no u didnt!!

CitizenSnips

lol. Please, don't ever use Mileena again. Stick with Sektor.
I don't recall ever using Mileena against you. Is my Mileena that bad lol?

Also Faded you are the only person to make me rage when I play online now. I swear standing 4s come out all the time and acid hands come out every wakeup. The way you play also is frustrating and I don't have the patience to play that style online and instead I end up raging instead of playing smart lol. My 2 day trial ran out so I might not be on for a couple more days.

And teef I don't think this is an old thread. I'm thinking that people are just confused as to why ChrisG and Sabin aren't placing top 3 at majors (but still doing very good) even though there are plenty of other good Reptile players out there.

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
And teef I don't think this is an old thread. I'm thinking that people are just confused as to why ChrisG and Sabin aren't placing top 3 at majors (but still doing very good) even though there are plenty of other good Reptile players out there.
I would say, goddamn buttsex!!

>_>.....<_<......O_O!!!! *crickets*

No homo?

PS: i know what u mean :p i am just bored because i am so sick/ill, so i am replying completely randomly lol...i think it's this medicine i took causing me to hallucinate as well as hate O_O!!

sLeeK

Noob
@teef You're crazy man lmao I hope to play you and your kenshi again

I couldn't drop reptile if I wanted to.. I put to much time and effort into perfecting reptile to just drop him.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Wonderchef do you use Sektor/Reptile because they compliment eachother or just because you like Sektor? I've been contemplating using an alt and if I do it would be between Sektor (I think he looks cool) and Mileena.
Well, I feel that Reptile covers Sektor's bad matchups at least. Between the two of them, I don't think they get destroyed by any particular matchup... I could be wrong though.

Also both characters are terrific at whiff punishing and I like that.