What's new

What happened to all the Reptile players?

McNasty

Moist.
Hes a popular character in general then prior to evo he was the flavor of the month that combined with the player base dying down and all the DLCs out people have either moved on to other games or characters or are on new flavor of the month characters like last months kabal, couple weeks ago jax, and this months shang.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I've been watching Reptile since day 1. I wanted to pick him up, but I feel like I've seen so many better players with him/so much of the stuff he can do, it's like...what can I really do with him that hasnt been done?
Thats why I love Cyblax: he's so unexplored, I feel like I can come up with original shit, unlike his robot side, which...fuck.

I personally still think reptile is still very unexplored. The way players use invisibility is still limited, I still think this move could be one of the best move in the game. I mean fuck, if i see an invisible reptile i would want to hit him out of it right away this would create risks. Reptile and smoke are very unexplored characters but many think they have explored them all already.

CitizenSnips

A seldom used crab named Lucky. AKA Citizen Snips.
Thanks THTB :)

Also guys, Milky Situation is one of the best Reptiles. He hasn't been able to make it to tournies since EVO, but he placed top 32ish there and it was his first time playing offline. He is legit.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
I should tell MANIACAL_THIEF to stop by here, he'd be hyped to help bring life back into the Reptile community.

Though the poor kid has yet to reach any tournaments... :(

Shout-outs to CitizenSnips's Reptile for nearly putting an end to DetroitBalln's climb up the ladder at NEC.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Reptile turned into .... predictable ?

I don't think so, he still is a damn dangerous character, and , how people said, his invisibility is far for being totally explored .... I think the main reason must be .... overplayed ?

I mean, lol, look the facts : Reptile, while the game was still in advertisement / propaganda / promoting stage, Reptile was the official "sandbag/punchbag", being showed taking a beat from almost all roster ... Seriously, at first, I though he was a crap character, one of the worst ....

After Chris G won CEO, I saw that Reptile had value as character, and he is a pretty stable one. But, Reptile was super used online, and maybe, offline, and probably , some users want to give him a break and try another character, to see how they do.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
It's nice to see the website working properly again. I know for me it's just that new games have come out and a occasionly pick mk.

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
hmmm...as simple as that

reptile is VERY hard character to win with at high level play. simply most of his Regular tool will be cut in half. so reptile has to change Dramatically.

the problem with reptile is that he's PURE rushdown chars. with characters that has gaps, reptile is very rewarding. though for solid characters that has answers to situation/ multiple situation. it takes reptile a lot to effort, reading, prediction, and CORRECT ANSWERS to eevry situation possible.

sigh, they forums here were CRYING about how OP reptile is.... now they are like, OHH reptile sucks....really? i sometimes hate boards man...i really do >_>

also, who said reptile Died? reptile is still a GREAT character hands down......:) it's just that people figured out that reptile DOES require hard work to play with as high level play, so they simply shifted away from him. which shows a lot to be honest >_>

I've been watching Reptile since day 1. I wanted to pick him up, but I feel like I've seen so many better players with him/so much of the stuff he can do, it's like...what can I really do with him that hasnt been done?
Thats why I love Cyblax: he's so unexplored, I feel like I can come up with original shit, unlike his robot side, which...fuck.
I personally still think reptile is still very unexplored. The way players use invisibility is still limited, I still think this move could be one of the best move in the game. I mean fuck, if i see an invisible reptile i would want to hit him out of it right away this would create risks. Reptile and smoke are very unexplored characters but many think they have explored them all already.
Can we please stop using that word? The game is a little over nine months old, everyone is unexplored. Some might be more explored than others, but compared to a year or two from now, the characters are still in their infancy.

And if any character has reached their maximum potential already, or even gotten close to it, then this game is truly doomed.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Can we please stop using that word? The game is a little over nine months old, everyone is unexplored. Some might be more explored than others, but compared to a year or two from now, the characters are still in their infancy.

And if any character has reached their maximum potential already, or even gotten close to it, then this game is truly doomed.
Agreed...99%.
It's just Human Cy has barely gotten any attention until recently, so he kind of does fit the bill, no?

SaJa

FH_FenriR
We all know about your Reptile KomegaK, I was fan of you when I've seen you playing this french sz ^^
And then you turned to Tchung Tsung and Jax.. shame on you dude but it's ok ^^

Despite that, I miss Chris G :(

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
We all know about your Reptile KomegaK, I was fan of you when I've seen you playing this french sz ^^
And then you turned to Tchung Tsung and Jax.. shame on you dude but it's ok ^^

Despite that, I miss Chris G :(
Daaaamn I didn't even know those matches were on youtube, that was a pretty long time ago haha. I would like to play lorddvd again, he had a great sub. Also I only played shang for like a week. :p

SaJa

FH_FenriR
Your Tchung is here :

Lorddvd stopped because of the shit online. He went back to SF4 :(

I'll tell him hello from you :p

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
Apparently I didn't understand the concept of hit confirming back then lol. I'm amazed at how shoddy that gameplay is from me. D:
Anyway try and gey him to come back to mk9, the guy had great fundamentals.

SaJa

FH_FenriR
I'll try to make him come to the worldgamecup in canne (france). He will at least move out for SF4 I guess (top fr). You will be in right ? Aperently now we can be 64 instead of 32 for inscriptions :D

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Personally, Winning with Reptile isn't something you get allot of respect for, considering, you don't have to have good fundamentals or a massive grasp of spacing, punishing, or meter building.

Before every Reptile player jumps down my throat, I main Reptile, and have played him against great players offline. So I don't mind bashing certain aspects to Reptile that you otherwise don't need to grasp to win.

Spacing doesn't really mater because a wiffed dash can create you opportunity for a block string.

Anti Air's are not common place other than uppercuts, because Reptile can avoid jump in's completely by again...wiffing a Dash.

You don't have to get creative in building meter, because everything Reptile does builds MEGA meter, take one set up: (Full Screen) Slow Acid Ball, Wiffed Dash, JIP, :fk,:fp:bp :d:l:bp, that is huge meter and impressive chip, and safe on block, finishing with a 10% overhead that puts the opponent fullscreen.

Reptile also does not require you to poke out from strings with his...again...DASH, which is sitting pretty at 6 frames, instead of poking out of opponents strings, Reptile players can dash, and leave it in the opponents hands to punish, which in high pressure high level play, won't happen 10/10 times.

Reptile is a character with allot of good tools, and has his problems against good opponents that understand how to fight him, and it can be an exact science fighting against him sometimes, BUT he can be very overwhelming for the opponent without the Reptile player actually playing much mind games, but instead running through their practice routine in game, and most of the times, it works. But you cannot ignore that Reptile players do not need to posses many basic fighting game fundaments in a fight, to actually win it.

I will remind you, Reptile is one of my three mains, and I especially love the way he is represented in this reiteration of MK, us old school MK fans of Reptile have everything that was ever cool about him, present in this game. From the special moves, appearance, victory and round animations, MK1 Skin etc. But Reptile can be a very ugly character to watch when someone constantly exploits dashing for the whole round, and thus does not get you the respect you think you should for winning, if you win it in a particular way.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Personally, Winning with Reptile isn't something you get allot of respect for, considering, you don't have to have good fundamentals or a massive grasp of spacing, punishing, or meter building.
Ignorant! I'll address each point separately.

Before every Reptile player jumps down my throat, I main Reptile, and have played him against great players offline. So I don't mind bashing certain aspects to Reptile that you otherwise don't need to grasp to win.
Define "great players".

Spacing doesn't really mater because a wiffed dash can create you opportunity for a block string.
The fact that his elbow dash is his only good way to get in actually makes spacing more important. Even more so once people start learning to fight against reptile and attempt to mess your dash spacing up.

Anti Air's are not common place other than uppercuts, because Reptile can avoid jump in's completely by again...wiffing a Dash.
You can avoid jump ins that way, but a good reptile will anti air into a full combo every time. I'm pretty infamous in my area for doing that every time, so people know they can't jump.

You don't have to get creative in building meter, because everything Reptile does builds MEGA meter, take one set up: (Full Screen) Slow Acid Ball, Wiffed Dash, JIP, :fk,:fp:bp :d:l:bp, that is huge meter and impressive chip, and safe on block, finishing with a 10% overhead that puts the opponent fullscreen.
Being creative with meter building isn't really a trait that any character has. If you want to get into it though, Reptile can do things like : 3 2 1, d3, 3 2 1 xx Acid Hand. There are a million ways to stagger his strings and build more meter / potentially hit the opponent.

Reptile also does not require you to poke out from strings with his...again...DASH, which is sitting pretty at 6 frames, instead of poking out of opponents strings, Reptile players can dash, and leave it in the opponents hands to punish, which in high pressure high level play, won't happen 10/10 times.
First of all, are you telling me that 10/10 times a Reptile dash won't be punished? What kind of players are you playing with... In my playgroup, any blocked dash is punished 100% of the time.

And assuming that you are against competent players, the fact that Rep's only 6 frame move is extremely unsafe is more of a weakness than a strength. There are situations where you literally HAVE to take a risk to get out of pressure.

Reptile is a character with allot of good tools, and has his problems against good opponents that understand how to fight him, and it can be an exact science fighting against him sometimes, BUT he can be very overwhelming for the opponent without the Reptile player actually playing much mind games, but instead running through their practice routine in game, and most of the times, it works. But you cannot ignore that Reptile players do not need to posses many basic fighting game fundaments in a fight, to actually win it.

Apparently you are playing against TERRIBLE players.

Honestly if you feel like you're getting away with stuff for free, you probably just aren't playing people who are good enough to take advantage of that.

Reptile takes tons of fundamentals, especially considering the fact that he has a terrible dash and a terrible uppercut.

UsedForGlue

Ignorant! I'll address each point separately.
As will I. It appears you have taken personal offence to what I have said, as it is clearly a knee jerk over reaction about some online forum beef you have with certain EU players, but you cannot freak out in detail with everyone closely associated with them, but here we go...I guess.

Define "great players".
Mustard, Ketchup, A F0xy Grampa, Nicholas, Hidan, Metzos, NIvek to name a few, there are not exactly ''CaliMaestro'' But they will do.

The fact that his elbow dash is his only good way to get in actually makes spacing more important.
Infact, this quote helps my point. The only way to space is use the dash, it is a 6 Frame move that is lightning fast, and if you have the space, will create opportunities in an instant. It is not only a fantastic punisher, maybe the only one you will ever need with Reptile, but it also creates opportunities on wiff, no other character in the game can do something like that in such a short range.

You can avoid jump ins that way, but
Again, thats my point. It's not necessary to employ anything else.

Being creative with meter building isn't really a trait that any character has.
Yes, it is. But Reptile can build meter very simply by throwing out spits full screen, or slowing the opponent down with Slow Acidballs, none of these are on their own meter building tactics, they are regular gameplay moves that BUILD GREAT METER, wiffing Dashes creates good meter, Standard JIP strings create massive meter. Other than those mentioned, Reptile does need to do much more than the standard to achieve results, I.E, playing through the fight. Infact he creates so much meter so quickly that you had an :x ready to go with only 25 seconds of the fight being played.

If you want to get into it though, Reptile can do things like : 3 2 1, d3, 3 2 1 xx Acid Hand. There are a million ways to stagger his strings and build more meter / potentially hit the opponent.
None of this I disagree with, nor was it up for contention, but my point was, it isn't necessary to do so.

From here I will use a video of literally, the first Reptile fight I came across with a simple search with your name attached it from YouTube, to help explain exactly what I mean. You appear to have spent effort breaking down my post, so I only feel it justice, that I do the same.

- I will use only the first fight for the examples, I don't feel I need to watch the second fight to address Wonder_chef.

First of all, are you telling me that 10/10 times a Reptile dash won't be punished? What kind of players are you playing with... In my playgroup, any blocked dash is punished 100% of the time.
At 2:26, Your dash goes unpunished. ''100% of the time'' Your own words.

And assuming that you are against competent players, the fact that Rep's only 6 frame move is extremely unsafe is more of a weakness than a strength. There are situations where you literally HAVE to take a risk to get out of pressure.
For something that is a weakness and risk you performed it THIRTY FOUR times in three rounds. Whilst I agree with you, this bolsters my point, that instead of Spacing, Poking, Jumping, Punishing on reaction without a special, getting out of strings, these can be replaced by dashing alone.

Here is a list of times that you performed this dash at all key intervals through out the fight.

ROUND1:
1:44, 1:47,1:48, 1:51, 1:54, 2:03, 2:16, 2:20, 2:26, 2:35, 2:36, 2:40, 2:41.

ROUND2:
2:55, 2:58, 3:09, 3:11, 3:14, 3:15, 3:18, 3:21, 3:23, 3:30, 3:31, 3:32, 3:33, 3:41 (grabbed out of wake up dash)

ROUND3:
3:37, 3:58, 4:20, 4:28, 4:38, 4:34, 4:42, 4:43

All these moments requires specific actions, but the dash special move appeared to cover them all.

Apparently you are playing against TERRIBLE players.
Again, this is just you taking things personally, in a way I was hoping no-one would, and you are lashing out with something that is no more than an assumption at best.

Honestly if you feel like you're getting away with stuff for free, you probably just aren't playing people who are good enough to take advantage of that.
You can refer to the link to your fight, considering, your comment is again an assumption about me, and from the footage, highly contradictory.

Reptile takes tons of fundamentals, especially considering the fact that he has a terrible dash and a terrible uppercut.
This ''Terrible'' dash was used by you 34 times, and if it is indeed a ''fact'' that is ''terrible'' and ''more of a weakness than a strength'', then I just don't see how you can have the stand point that you do for the dash in comparison of how you actually use it. And the ''Terrible uppercut'' was attempted a minimum of seven times.

I don't believe there will be any point saying anything more on the matter. That is as sensible as I can make it.

BEENEEWEENEES

Thou shalt be slain!
This ''Terrible'' dash was used by you 34 times, and if it is indeed a ''fact'' that is ''terrible'' and ''more of a weakness than a strength'', then I just don't see how you can have the stand point that you do for the dash in comparison of how you actually use it.
not to butt in, but i'm pretty sure he was talking about his actual dash, as in 44/66... which is pretty terrible.

UsedForGlue

not to butt in, but i'm pretty sure he was talking about his actual dash, as in 44/66... which is pretty terrible.
Butt-in? It's an open forum man, its no problem :)

The fact that his elbow dash is his only good way to get in actually makes spacing more important.
This was Wonder_Chefs reply to my post. This is the dash he addressed, and I replied to.

Reptile as a character can't nor needs to relay on the fundamentals that other characters in the game have to.

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
i dont know enough about reptile to get involved, but just to point out.

i have to this day never played your reptile offline glue, and have had a much easier time dealing wiht repitle in general since you told us about his 'sweet spot' so to say, where he struggles.

is reptiles elbow dash punishable by the whole cast? when i play baraka i have a hard time punishing it with normals, and even the blade spin doesnt even hit half the time due to the pushback.

UsedForGlue

i dont know enough about reptile to get involved, but just to point out.

i have to this day never played your reptile offline glue, and have had a much easier time dealing wiht repitle in general since you told us about his 'sweet spot' so to say, where he struggles.

is reptiles elbow dash punishable by the whole cast? when i play baraka i have a hard time punishing it with normals, and even the blade spin doesnt even hit half the time due to the pushback.
Reptile has a distance he greatly suffers at, and Ironically, its just at the tip of Dash distance, or jump in distance. Zero Air control or reliable anti airs.

I played some casuals with you and Helter for a warm up to the match with Metsoz, I had otherwise been using CSZ all weekend, and when it came to the match with Metzos, I was rusty and nervous, dropped every combo, and I did my best to never contest a single jump with my jump, but the two times I did, I got punished heavily for it, I actually may have breakered a third time.