What's new

What Happened, NRS?!

To me, this is the best MK game since MK9, and might even surpass that, depending on what kind of updates and DLC the game gets years down the line. At first, it took time for me to get used to the game, but I warmed up to it before too long. For now, I like MK9 more, but this is close behind.

That said, I have a few problems with the game. Some characters only have like two combos, for instance. The base roster is even smaller than MK11's. And the female costumes (at least the base ones) aren't very good, for the most part.

ando1184

Noob
Everyone keeps blaming wb and nrs directly but it’s the overall “business model” that’s the problem here. Since fighting games started adopting “mobile game sale tactics” our fighting games have drastically lost their magic. Sf x Tekken was one of the first fighting games to start the pay for dlc characters. If ya ever wanna see where the business side of a fighting game is headed, keep eyes on capcom because they’re usually the first company to incorporate said business tactics into our beloved FGC. That being said, if fighting games are gonna continue down this path then they should just come outta the box as a free to play game and then we pay as more content is developed. Because at this rate, we are never getting our money’s worth for a launch title and that’s a big slap in the face to the fan base and consumer.

Lord Snotty

Lord of the Bletherrealm.
The way NRS is taking heat and WB is announcing record profits and another year of support. Diabolical.
Of course they have good profits. They've built up a loyal consumer base. If I hadn't bought the digital edition, I'd be giving MK1 to the nearest charity shop.

ando1184

Noob
Is anyone else having issues playing online or invasions? It won’t let me play those modes and states it needs to be updated to the newest version, but it is already. I’m on ps5 btw.

I'm not sure what's going on but I can't use Omni-Man even though I downloaded patch and have KP1?
Also they reset Invasions Level so I can use the XP Boost and it looks like they made it less XP per node?
Anyone have a workaround for farming XP at lvl2 Invasion?

Alright I’ll give some flowers…

Love the sub-zero skin in the store. Finally feels like subby again. Li Mei and Jax throwbacks are nice too.

Vampire skins for the most part look pretty cool (sorry Reiko?) and the black and red combos look infinitely better than the season 1 color scheme.

Little disappointed to see some recycled mesas but I guess it is a little much to expect 6 brand new mesas every time. Good moves so far NRS, you earned my money for sub-zero this time

kantboy2

Pale Rider
Eh, you already paid for Sub when you bought the game. Same with all the other skins, fatalities, and gear.

This is a terrible monetization strategy in a fucking $70 game. This is CoD/FIFA levels of theft.

Glad you enjoy the skin, but I can't support this. I'm guessing they'll go for maximum grift when the story expansion comes out if all the paywall stuff sells.

Eh, you already paid for Sub when you bought the game. Same with all the other skins, fatalities, and gear.

This is a terrible monetization strategy in a fucking $70 game. This is CoD/FIFA levels of theft.

Glad you enjoy the skin, but I can't support this. I'm guessing they'll go for maximum grift when the story expansion comes out if all the paywall stuff sells.
Oh yeah by no means do I agree with the money grab strategy. Think it’a a dirty move first and foremost and on top of that, the prices they’re charging are outrageous! I get inflation but damn!

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way

I deleted the game when I saw the SZ skin in the store. Greedy fuckers

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
They need to Kreate a new fighter named Monitizer whose every move costs money. Even pressing forward should cost a few bucks. His Friendship is free to use, but only if you pay a special pre-order fee.
lol, this is priceless ! :p

anyway, yeah, this MK1 is the most greedy game ever released along all this franchise long years so far

I would love to see WB going bankrupt and suddenly having to negociate and sell MK IP cheap as a banana bunch to Sony or Microsoft ......

Zaslav is a cancer to WB and will be their downfall, wait and see .... :cool:

ReD WolF

Lord of the Drip
Everyone keeps blaming wb and nrs directly but it’s the overall “business model” that’s the problem here. Since fighting games started adopting “mobile game sale tactics” our fighting games have drastically lost their magic. Sf x Tekken was one of the first fighting games to start the pay for dlc characters. If ya ever wanna see where the business side of a fighting game is headed, keep eyes on capcom because they’re usually the first company to incorporate said business tactics into our beloved FGC. That being said, if fighting games are gonna continue down this path then they should just come outta the box as a free to play game and then we pay as more content is developed. Because at this rate, we are never getting our money’s worth for a launch title and that’s a big slap in the face to the fan base and consumer.
Agreed. The business model is the problem. If you are a gamer, you've seen this for years in other genres of games. The "games as a service" model has been a fucking disaster for the consumer.

Agreed. The business model is the problem. If you are a gamer, you've seen this for years in other genres of games. The "games as a service" model has been a fucking disaster for the consumer.
Yup, and Mortal Kombat 1 is thus far not even near the worst that I've seen in this regard.

Basically for me, my original line of thinking holds: Any Premium Shop-only Story Mode or Klassic skins for my characters (Kitana and Mileena), I'll purchase. Everything else, I'll get via the Shrine or by playing or simply not get it at all. This includes insanely overpriced holiday themed Fatalities.

xenogorgeous

yep

GaaS never worked properly ..... was a mess and with the disaster that Marvel game did , even this way, these assholes never learned from their mistakes, so, let them try again and pay for that

GaaS is only viable if, sure, you put your game for free, but, the paid content you provide is really good, top notch quality and you are always releasing quality content to keep people buying stuff, and also, invest in the game, to provide much better experience each year

Instead, they release a half ass and half bake stuff, counting that the fanboys and brainless twitters stupid idiots will pay and buy whatever garbage content they release, and expect this model to be feasible and profitable for years, while they invest the minimum in the base game , and drench and vomit lots of mtx , nfts and all those other types of moneytization cancer we are used to see nowadays

So, lets rejoice in seeing them failing again and getting desperate , eheh

NeonGroovyGator

Vampire mommy simp
I don't have that much of a problem with the "video games as a service" model, depending on how it's executed. Especially if we're talking about games that end up being supported for a very long time. There's very little incentive to support a game for , say, 3-4 years if it stops making you money.

I'll agree that MK1 isn't the worst in this regard, but it's far from the best, too. When you set a precedent for what costs money and how much it costs, you're telling your public what to expect. We'll probably never know for sure exactly how troubled or rushed this game's development was, but it almost feels like the entire developer is breaking or something and they need money, quick. This is my favorite MK game since MK9, maybe ever, but a lot about how the game was released and how much they're charging for shit that used to cost way less or just not cost anything at all feels scummy. Also, the way the freemium currency works for this game is pretty egregious imo. It's too hard to earn for how expensive things are.

I'll never understand those who say people should just stop complaining. As any game that works like this can teach you, "just don't buy it, vote with your wallet" doesn't work that well since a very small percentage of players will buy absolutely everything they offer and that's all they need. Community outrage can sometimes move the needle enough to make something happen. There's no reason to discourage people from doing both. If you don't like something, speak up. If enough people speak up, sometimes we can get things to be at least a little bit better.

There's a middle ground between "just shut up and accept the way things are" and "let's complain about every little thing that's mildly annoying".

xenogorgeous

I don't have that much of a problem with the "video games as a service" model, depending on how it's executed. Especially if we're talking about games that end up being supported for a very long time. There's very little incentive to support a game for , say, 3-4 years if it stops making you money.

I'll agree that MK1 isn't the worst in this regard, but it's far from the best, too. When you set a precedent for what costs money and how much it costs, you're telling your public what to expect. We'll probably never know for sure exactly how troubled or rushed this game's development was, but it almost feels like the entire developer is breaking or something and they need money, quick. This is my favorite MK game since MK9, maybe ever, but a lot about how the game was released and how much they're charging for shit that used to cost way less or just not cost anything at all feels scummy. Also, the way the freemium currency works for this game is pretty egregious imo. It's too hard to earn for how expensive things are.

I'll never understand those who say people should just stop complaining. As any game that works like this can teach you, "just don't buy it, vote with your wallet" doesn't work that well since a very small percentage of players will buy absolutely everything they offer and that's all they need. Community outrage can sometimes move the needle enough to make something happen. There's no reason to discourage people from doing both. If you don't like something, speak up. If enough people speak up, sometimes we can get things to be at least a little bit better.

There's a middle ground between "just shut up and accept the way things are" and "let's complain about every little thing that's mildly annoying".
truly amazing your point and statement that I happen to agree with 100% ;)

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I don't mind paying for extras if the game is good...
I’ll buy anything I think is good and valued well to be honest. I have no problem with DLC and add ons so long as the value is appropriate, it just usually is. Being able to add content after the fact is such an awesome thing but a lot of developers just use it as a way for us to pay them to complete the game. Having legacy skins for Scorpion and Sub-Zero in the shop is so disgusting

Yuri

Noob
The fact that online in MK1 is worse than even MKX is beyond me. How did they even think about making the matches server based and not peer to peer like it used to be. Now in MK1 I have 200 ms of delay with players from my city

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
NRS never have seemed to understand microtransactions. The best route would be to have a bunch of awesome alts for characters but it takes forever to get them in game or they’re very very rare to get in game. So if you don’t want to grind for whatever reason, you can just buy whatever the alt is for like $5. This would prevent A LOT of the criticisms as you can get it in game if you want, AND those that don’t want to grind and are willing to pay the extra $5 would actually be grateful that the option to just buy it exists. But the alts can’t be too expensive. $5 should be the absolute maximum imo.

NRS never have seemed to understand microtransactions. The best route would be to have a bunch of awesome alts for characters but it takes forever to get them in game or they’re very very rare to get in game. So if you don’t want to grind for whatever reason, you can just buy whatever the alt is for like $5. This would prevent A LOT of the criticisms as you can get it in game if you want, AND those that don’t want to grind and are willing to pay the extra $5 would actually be grateful that the option to just buy it exists. But the alts can’t be too expensive. $5 should be the absolute maximum imo.
Yeah, agreed. Microtransactions are "well" implemented (meaning, it gets people to buy them) when you can earn the things, but it's juuuuust a little too painful, so it gets you to think "eh, what's a couple bucks, my time's worth more". Or if the game's free, so people can think "well, I've been playing for free and enjoying this, I want to support the company, sure I'll spend some money on a battle pass or skin". There's a really delicate psychological balance there, and you have to ease in and earn the situation where people feel good about spending a few more dollars.

WB/NRS took a sledgehammer to that and was just like "hey, thanks for buying this game that's pretty content light and has gotten some pretty shaky reception. You want to buy this skin for ten bucks? How about this cutscene for twelve bucks?". It's like going on a first date with someone and being like "yeah I hope you enjoyed your half of the 2 for $3 McDouble deal, and our viewing of The Number 23 at the local discount theater. Wanna move in and do my laundry now?"