What's new

What Happened, NRS?!

If it were me and I were NRS, I’d go for broke to try and salvage this franchise by going all in on this game.

Give us as many characters as you can, and pump them out faster than previous DLC release schedules. Ermac, Quan, Takeda are a good start. Noob Cassie and Jade are welcomed. Start dumping what you can.. Nightwolf, Kano, Sonya, scarlet, Erron.. heck make it interesting give us Hydro, Hotoru, Movado.. people we haven’t seen in awhile. And make them chaotic! This is MK, I felt like way too many characters this go around were kinda bland in trying to be a good guy. Be evil, crazy and murderous, that’s literally your whole franchise.

Patch in additional customization gear. More than just 1 per character, give us a sense of “owning” our character and being proud of who you play as.

More fatalities! We got babalities in 9, brutalities in X, friendships in 11… then nothing? Start bringing those back, or animalities or something that gives MK that quirky, goofiness that we all like.

Add an ADDITIONAL single player mode. Shit patch in a whole nother Krypt where you can start unlocking this extra content. Make it open world, interactsble and pump that shit with as much lore as you can, a la Deception style. Even make it seasonal with rotating stuff to work in conjunction with Invasions. Season 2 Invasions focused on Nitara? Cool, give us a “krypt” mode too that’s Vaternus where we can either unlock things OR choose to buy them through the rotating store (but this way we’re not forced to spend actual money and can choose to play for the rewards instead)

Invasions is here to stay. Make it actually fun. Turn that more into more of the MK9 tower vibe. Give us weird but fun fights. More mini-games. More overall stage puzzles to “solve” the mesa rather than just walking through it.

If I were NRS I’d be scrambling to make stuff like this happen and ASAP, otherwise you’re setting yourself back badly because a lot of people aren’t going to buy your game the next go around given how bland and empty this one is…

Last edited:

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
  • NRS did pretty well wiping out the variation concept from MK1, so, positive point ;)
  • Anyway, they fucked up with the gear in MK1 .... the concept in MK11 was way better, so negative point :mad:
  • Invasions is a Dead on Arrival mode; they will insist on that, but, we hope they do better next time .... Invasion is everything but entertainment enjoyable at the moment, so ..... negative point :mad:
  • Greedy Monetization is the worst of worst ever in this game, no need further coment , so, negative point :mad:
We complain cause we care about quality deliverables being on a MK game; otherwise, we could simple discard and ignore the very explicit deffects, troubles and errors the game already has, and just follow the cattle fanboy gang that still defend everything in this game, and so, live happy and inside the illusion, lol ! :p

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
If I were NRS I’d be scrambling to make stuff like this happen and ASAP, otherwise you’re setting yourself back badly because a lot of people aren’t going to buy your game the next go around given how bland and empty this one is…
People totally will buy the next one though. Gamers don’t really have standards, I bet Modern Warfare 3 is still far and away the best selling game of the year. MK fans are also pretty bad because not only is there intense brand loyalty but nostalgia plays a huge part.

Hype culture is what makes this keep happening, there will be the next MK game that triggers peoples nostalgia and then the hype train starts and everyone forgets. NRS will surely improve MK1 but they already got theirs.

People totally will buy the next one though. Gamers don’t really have standards, I bet Modern Warfare 3 is still far and away the best selling game of the year. MK fans are also pretty bad because not only is there intense brand loyalty but nostalgia plays a huge part.

Hype culture is what makes this keep happening, there will be the next MK game that triggers peoples nostalgia and then the hype train starts and every one forgets. NRS will surely improve MK1 but they already got theirs.
As someone who's been gaming now for a good 40 years, I can confirm the above mentality is true. Not only that, but most people who complain the loudest and say they'll never buy a game from X developer again are oft the first to pre-order.

xenogorgeous

As someone who's been gaming now for a good 40 years, I can confirm the above mentality is true. Not only that, but most people who complain the loudest and say they'll never buy a game from X developer again are oft the first to pre-order.
Lol, fuck yeah, this is so fucking true ! :)

Unfortunately, this game, as any other, just built a totally blind fanbase , I mean, a radical part of it, that is totally addicted to the franchise, and will consume anything related to, and support any game released, without criticizing what is wrong with that

Of course , is good to be a gamer, but, is good too , to charge and demand for more quality and well writen and well developed products, so .... nothing wrong in point out room for improvement into the things you love and like the most, and this include games you enjoy more to waste your precious time, hehe

World without constructive criticism = boring ! :cool:

Lol, fuck yeah, this is so fucking true ! :)

Unfortunately, this game, as any other, just built a totally blind fanbase , I mean, a radical part of it, that is totally addicted to the franchise, and will consume anything related to, and support any game released, without criticizing what is wrong with that

Of course , is good to be a gamer, but, is good too , to charge and demand for more quality and well writen and well developed products, so .... nothing wrong in point out room for improvement into the things you love and like the most, and this include games you enjoy more to waste your precious time, hehe

World without constructive criticism = boring ! :cool:
Basically the way to make changes would be to not buy the products any longer, though this needs to happen on a mass scale. The downer there is it often means lots of people will loose their jobs.

Overall though, if you like or support something, buy it. If you like something but aren't perfectly sure about it, wait a while for it to go on sale (in only a few months now new games usually go on sale for 25% off). If you're not keen on something, don't spend money on it at all.

Most gamers though will instantly buy everything at full price regardless.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Yeah it’s insane. I swore not to buy an NRS game at launch after MK11, but my wife preordered it for me as an early birthday gift, which I was obviously grateful for the gesture and happy to give it a try. But it affirmed my belief that NRS is no longer to be trusted. Arkham Knight will be the last truly great game published by WB, it’s 8 years old now. It also had a bad PC launch but still ended up being a fantastic game that today stands toe to toe with the most ambitious modern games. It’s a shame.

NRS just gets added to the list of other developers I used to like that have disgraced themselves- infinity ward / treyarch, naughty dog, dice, and many others. Insomniac’s Spider-Man 2 was also pretty disappointing specially compared to the Batman games, God of War 5 was also disappointing.

Consumers can forgive though, Capcom almost killed Resident Evil but has been nailing it in the last several years aside from 3 remake, FromSoft still makes me excited even if I don’t love all their games as my personal cup of tea, I can expect a quality game made with passion. I’m only 24 but modern gaming is so demoralizing and shitty aside from 3 or so games every couple years that are truly amazing games, so I’m even resorting back to old games like Halo 1 and Resident Evil 4, and a lot from the late 2000s - early 2010s. In 2005 we had Halo 2 which revolutionized online gaming, Resident Evil 4 which created a template for almost every game to follow, and God of War in the same year, and that’s not all from that year. Fast forward to now and RE4 remake and Dead Space remake are far and away the best games of the year, it’s embarrassing. It’s complete and utter slop made for the lowest common denominators.

xenogorgeous

Basically the way to make changes would be to not buy the products any longer, though this needs to happen on a mass scale. The downer there is it often means lots of people will loose their jobs.

Overall though, if you like or support something, buy it. If you like something but aren't perfectly sure about it, wait a while for it to go on sale (in only a few months now new games usually go on sale for 25% off). If you're not keen on something, don't spend money on it at all.

Most gamers though will instantly buy everything at full price regardless.

xenogorgeous

and Rockstar just announced that GTA 6 will be revealed officially in December
and so, just waiting for the Internet get on fire , and the fanatic fans going totally nuts crazies over Twitter and social medias .... overanalazing each clip frame by frame
and the cycle keep going in a never end looping, lol :rolleyes:
way to go, fuckers, hehe ! :p

Yeah it’s insane. I swore not to buy an NRS game at launch after MK11, but my wife preordered it for me as an early birthday gift, which I was obviously grateful for the gesture and happy to give it a try.
Yup, I remember that. And that doesn't diminish the thought/quality of the gift giving itself; it was very nice of her to do that. More so considering the cost of the game!

Arkham Knight will be the last truly great game published by WB...
It's the only one I haven't played, and I own it. Not because I don't want to, but because I really got "Arkhamed" out. Some day.

Insomniac’s Spider-Man 2 was also pretty disappointing specially compared to the Batman games...
I'm not surprised, as you know my thoughts on Sony's first party games. Well polished, technical masterpieces with average gameplay (at best) and zero replay value. In brief, games that are not bad, but are massively, massively overrated.

Consumers can forgive though...
Absolutely they can, we've all done it I'm sure. Sometimes, a studio goes in a direction you don't like and their products are no longer a fit for you. Other times, you simply need a break from what they're doing. It happens, and the good thing is, there's plenty of games of all different types out there to enjoy.

I’m only 24 but modern gaming is so demoralizing and shitty aside from 3 or so games every couple years that are truly amazing games,
I actually felt the same when I was in my mid-20's! Part of it is you're an adult now and noticing business practices and the cost of them in ways that didn't register, or that you simply didn't care about when you were younger. Another part of it is nostalgia, and being an adult, part of the "magic" of gaming is gone.

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much

Hype culture is what makes this keep happening, there will be the next MK game that triggers peoples nostalgia and then the hype train starts and everyone forgets. NRS will surely improve MK1 but they already got theirs.
That may be true....but I've noticed that especially with the younger generation like Gen Z...everything is here today, gone tomorrow. stuff has to constantly be released, balanced, and the music interest has really changed. Like I don't think some realize how we had to hope and pray they would play a music video and not cut it off and now they get to just key something in on youtube and it's turbo hd ai enhance remastered. I mean. don't get me wrong. a lot of things are great with the world and the younger generation has brought good things

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
That may be true....but I've noticed that especially with the younger generation like Gen Z...everything is here today, gone tomorrow. stuff has to constantly be released, balanced, and the music interest has really changed. Like I don't think some realize how we had to hope and pray they would play a music video and not cut it off and now they get to just key something in on youtube and it's turbo hd ai enhance remastered. I mean. don't get me wrong. a lot of things are great with the world and the younger generation has brought good things
That’s why I made all those jokes about gamers being goblins whose dopamine receptors are fried. They’ll pay the $10 for that Scorpion skin because their threshold for excitement is so high from the constant and instant stimulus. A lot of games now are now either grind fests made to loop you back to the store, or movie games that are basically just a pre set roller coaster with no deviating from a linear path, that’s all your typical gamer can / will do. Quality single player games that encourage constant engagement with the game are so rare. I’ve jerked off RE4 a ton, but everything you’re doing in that game, even in down time of picking up items is engaging your brain and has an outcome on gameplay. Spider-Man 2 on the other hand is just traversal, movie game section, combat, no meaningful choices just use your eight available insta kill moves to win as efficiently as possible, never any incentive to deviate because level design is inconsequential. Games are made to consume now instead of asking the player to engage with them in a meaningful way. Not all modern games are like this, but a lot.

@Dankster Morgan There's a reason I play so many remasters these days, and why I've said many times modern games are not made for me; I'm no longer the target audience. I suspect you're moving in that direction now yourself.

On an aside, and going back to Mortal Kombat 1, while I am enjoying the game for what it is myself, the people I truly do feel bad for are the people who are very unhappy with the game and bought a new console or upgraded their PC for it. That's a hefty investment.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Curious: How did you arrive at this date specifically?
That's when tekken 8 officially releases.
I haven't paid for the game, yet i was selected for the two online betas, so i got my two feet wet and know exactly what they are selling.
They even sent a review survey to everyone who played and asked if we enjoyed the game, and if we plan to pre-order or if we had already pre-ordered the gamem , that's called confidence on a product.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
@Dankster Morgan There's a reason I play so many remasters these days, and why I've said many times modern games are not made for me; I'm no longer the target audience. I suspect you're moving in that direction now yourself.

On an aside, and going back to Mortal Kombat 1, while I am enjoying the game for what it is myself, the people I truly do feel bad for are the people who are very unhappy with the game and bought a new console or upgraded their PC for it. That's a hefty investment.
Dude I’d be beside myself if I bought a PS5 for MK1 or Spider-Man 2 for that matter. Buying an Xbox 360 and picking up Halo 3 and Gears of War day 1 or whatever it may be is way more exciting than what’s going on now. It’s not just nostalgia though, I missed God of War 1 because I didn’t own a PS2 and I played it in 2022, it’s legitimately better than god of war 5 in every way except obvious stuff like graphical fidelity. Games were made for people who liked games instead of trying to appeal to as wide a market as possible, if producing photo realistic graphics makes games so expensive they need to have mass appeal, it’s not worth it. Having a unique art style is better than just emulating reality because it’ll be timeless, Halo - Reach will always be pleasing to look at, while games like Spider-Man 2 or The Last of Us 2 will look like shit in 10 years because it has no soul, we will be better at emulating reality then so it will be obsolete.

Dude I’d be beside myself if I bought a PS5 for MK1 or Spider-Man 2 for that matter. Buying an Xbox 360 and picking up Halo 3 and Gears of War day 1 or whatever it may be is way more exciting than what’s going on now. It’s not just nostalgia though, I missed God of War 1 because I didn’t own a PS2 and I played it in 2022, it’s legitimately better than god of war 5 in every way except obvious stuff like graphical fidelity. Games were made for people who liked games instead of trying to appeal to as wide a market as possible, if producing photo realistic graphics makes games so expensive they need to have mass appeal, it’s not worth it. Having a unique art style is better than just emulating reality because it’ll be timeless, Halo - Reach will always be pleasing to look at, while games like Spider-Man 2 or The Last of Us 2 will look like shit in 10 years because it has no soul, we will be better at emulating reality then so it will be obsolete.
Absolutely.

While this generation of consoles are indeed a lot more powerful than the base PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, and a good bit more powerful than a PlayStation 4 Pro and Xbox One X, this honestly doesn't feel like a new generation, it feels more like a late generation upgrade to me.

It's not the same kind of jump with the games from the 6th to the 7th generation, for example, or the 7th to the 8th.

With cross-generation being so prevalent, there really has been few true current generation titles released, and fewer that I've found impressive. A Plague Tale: Requiem, a AA title, is the king of the next gen list for me right now. It's an excellent game, but also not one worth buying a $649.99 console for.

Marvel's Spider-Man 2 is an actual current generation game, and as someone who hasn't played it, it doesn't look like anything special to me. God of War: Ragnarok, according to it's own developer, is a PlayStation 4 game that was optimized for PlayStation 4 Pro and PlayStation 5, so it's a last gen game proper.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Absolutely.

While this generation of consoles are indeed a lot more powerful than the base PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, and a good bit more powerful than a PlayStation 4 Pro and Xbox One X, this honestly doesn't feel like a new generation, it feels more like a late generation upgrade to me.

It's not the same kind of jump with the games from the 6th to the 7th generation, for example, or the 7th to the 8th.

With cross-generation being so prevalent, there really has been few true current generation titles released, and fewer that I've found impressive. A Plague Tale: Requiem, a AA title, is the king of the next gen list for me right now. It's an excellent game, but also not one worth buying a $649.99 console for.

Marvel's Spider-Man 2 is an actual current generation game, and as someone who hasn't played it, it doesn't look like anything special to me. God of War: Ragnarok, according to it's own developer, is a PlayStation 4 game that was optimized for PlayStation 4 Pro and PlayStation 5, so it's a last gen game proper.
GOW 5 is a last gen game and feels like it to. Spider-Man 2 only feels like a PS5 game in the sense that it loads environments faster than the PS4 can and the game runs at a higher frame rate. Arkham Knight which I last played on the base Xbox One is legit a better looking game in a lot of ways.

The only new gen game (even though its cross gen) that actually feels like a unique experience is Elden Ring. It has a lot of recycled content from Dark Souls but it’s made with such care and expertise for the most part that it doesn’t matter. Not gonna count remakes and remasters, so with that in mind there’s no new gen only games that have really blown my mind. Im really not hard to please either even though I’m complaining a lot, I can overlook some pretty big flaws if I don’t feel like my times being wasted.

Back to MK1 though, NRS has lost me for good for what little that’s worth, I ran all out of copium and have no desire to play it.

You should actually play it. It’s really fun, and my favorite of the series.
Keep in mind Marvel's Spider-Man: Remastered is the single most disappointing game I've played in several years. Given that, I have no desire to go and buy a PlayStation 5, a console I do not want, for a game I do not expect to like.

When it comes to PC, and when it's heavily, heavily discounted, then I may take a look.

I actually like MK1 gameplay and it's keeping me playing.
There are definitely problems that need addressed Like Online modes, Single Player modes added obviously down the road. It would take them months to create a good Krypt or new Invasions Mode not sure they will.
But adding customization options and adding more to practice mode would be easy enough to do in the next couple months.
The 2/3 over 3/5 for KL is dumb AF but that's the NRS community, they asked for it, when MK1 came out that's all I seen was complaints about KL matches taking to long and they tagged NRS/Mortal Kombat on X.
Those very same people who asked for 2/3 now want 3/5 back and that's the NRS community in a nutshell.
The majority asked for strong characters and assists then complain about people being able to use Ambush to make a unsafe move safe when that's literally the glue that holds most of the lower tiers together.
I don't think NRS community knows WTF they want.
I hope within 4 months some of these issues get fixed and balance takes a buff over nerfs approach, I have hope since most top players are asking for buffs instead of blanket repetitive nerfs.

One idea is adding characters often to the game. I'm completely down with that idea, just not so sure the community would be. I can hear people now saying a new character drops every month and I can't learn the matchups and meta before tournaments.
But I'm fine with characters coming when they are ready, we know they will have to balance DLC like Omni-Man and Crystalline Armor+ Kenshi.

Hopefully they make Crystalline Armor not work with Sento out since it last multiple hits for 4 seconds and Crystalline Armor will give Kenshi a free recall of Sento without Setups or worry of recovery.

I think the game is still fun but single player, online and characters unlocks/customization still needs some changes.
Just how do they please this community on X?