What's new

What Happened, NRS?!

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Yeah, agreed. Microtransactions are "well" implemented (meaning, it gets people to buy them) when you can earn the things, but it's juuuuust a little too painful, so it gets you to think "eh, what's a couple bucks, my time's worth more". Or if the game's free, so people can think "well, I've been playing for free and enjoying this, I want to support the company, sure I'll spend some money on a battle pass or skin". There's a really delicate psychological balance there, and you have to ease in and earn the situation where people feel good about spending a few more dollars.

WB/NRS took a sledgehammer to that and was just like "hey, thanks for buying this game that's pretty content light and has gotten some pretty shaky reception. You want to buy this skin for ten bucks? How about this cutscene for twelve bucks?". It's like going on a first date with someone and being like "yeah I hope you enjoyed your half of the 2 for $3 McDouble deal, and our viewing of The Number 23 at the local discount theater. Wanna move in and do my laundry now?"
Yeah it’s just a super weird business decision. They’ve already sold what was it, over 3 million copies or so in just the first month? So it’s not like they’re in dire need of the money. What I mean is, it would’ve gone over a million times better if they did what I suggested, OR said that a certain % of $$ for each purchase of alts or fatalities or whatever would go to a prize pool like they did with MKX (I believe it was MKX at least).

trufenix

bye felicia
Yeah it’s just a super weird business decision. They’ve already sold what was it, over 3 million copies or so in just the first month? So it’s not like they’re in dire need of the money. What I mean is, it would’ve gone over a million times better if they did what I suggested, OR said that a certain % of $$ for each purchase of alts or fatalities or whatever would go to a prize pool like they did with MKX (I believe it was MKX at least).
I'm not even trying to be contrary here bro, but what do you actually think WB does?

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
My main game outside of MK is Hunt Showdown. Skin packs run about 10 bucks most of the time and they're purchased without complaint. Why? Because Crytek is constantly offering bad ass content with special events, patches, free skins (via blood bonds), etcetera. Game has been out for 6 years and has increased its playerbase over time.

People will willingly throw money at a developer who gives af.

ItsYaBoi

Noob
Eh, you already paid for Sub when you bought the game. Same with all the other skins, fatalities, and gear.

This is a terrible monetization strategy in a fucking $70 game. This is CoD/FIFA levels of theft.

Glad you enjoy the skin, but I can't support this. I'm guessing they'll go for maximum grift when the story expansion comes out if all the paywall stuff sells.
I just wanna say that this is MUCH worse than COD at least.

In that game, something similarly priced will usually net you a skin (sometimes a few), multiple weapons, and a bunch of random cosmetics ( charms, calling cards etc). This is literally one skin, a ton of palette swaps (very easy to make), and one mask.

Pure fucking unadulterated greed when it makes COD bundles comparatively look like great value.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I just wanna say that this is MUCH worse than COD at least.

In that game, something similarly priced will usually net you a skin (sometimes a few), multiple weapons, and a bunch of random cosmetics ( charms, calling cards etc). This is literally one skin, a ton of palette swaps (very easy to make), and one mask.

Pure fucking unadulterated greed when it makes COD bundles comparatively look like great value.
And let’s be clear, COD is horrible too but I agree, this is worse. I played a lot of COD 19 and a little of MW2 2022, and while it’s bad, this is far worse believe it or not.

I want you guys who think COD is some low brow slop and how the people who play it have no standards to realize this is how NRS / WB thinks of MK and of you. I’m sorry for all the talented and passionate developers but this game is a joke and everyone who supports it is the punchline. MK is NOT better than COD and it’s fans aren’t any better than COD fans, and supporting a game like MK1 is just as bad for the industry as a game like Modern Warfare 3 (which don’t get me wrong I won’t be buying, but still).

Last edited:
Honestly having no wifi filter is absolutely unbearable. Literally ruins the whole game experience for me.

And in typical fashion nrs drops the ball again:
“Oh you don’t like playing wifi players, got it, let’s change kombat league to ft2 because one annoying ass person complained about their health issues even though 90% of people were fine with it”

Like who the hell makes these decisions I don’t get it

I don't have that much of a problem with the "video games as a service" model, depending on how it's executed. Especially if we're talking about games that end up being supported for a very long time. There's very little incentive to support a game for , say, 3-4 years if it stops making you money.

I'll agree that MK1 isn't the worst in this regard, but it's far from the best, too. When you set a precedent for what costs money and how much it costs, you're telling your public what to expect. We'll probably never know for sure exactly how troubled or rushed this game's development was, but it almost feels like the entire developer is breaking or something and they need money, quick. This is my favorite MK game since MK9, maybe ever, but a lot about how the game was released and how much they're charging for shit that used to cost way less or just not cost anything at all feels scummy. Also, the way the freemium currency works for this game is pretty egregious imo. It's too hard to earn for how expensive things are.

I'll never understand those who say people should just stop complaining. As any game that works like this can teach you, "just don't buy it, vote with your wallet" doesn't work that well since a very small percentage of players will buy absolutely everything they offer and that's all they need. Community outrage can sometimes move the needle enough to make something happen. There's no reason to discourage people from doing both. If you don't like something, speak up. If enough people speak up, sometimes we can get things to be at least a little bit better.

There's a middle ground between "just shut up and accept the way things are" and "let's complain about every little thing that's mildly annoying".
Definitely. I love MK1 gameplay, it's very fun. I've never liked playing this many characters and I've played since 1993 as a kid to 34 years old.
MK9 was great and I absolutely loved it but I feel MK1 might be better and definitely will if they add modes, character customization, make invasions/towers less grindy with more XP and rewards,(25 Dragon Crystals per win?)
Online could use a few more features and modes as well as high ping filter for ranked only. It would be nice if they could do a both player XF graphics stress test before accepting match to test how high the ping would get. Anything above 120ms = Red and allows decline.

When I think back MK9 had Player 1 Advantage the entire game, tons of bugs/glitches and broken moves and probably one of the worst online Netcode I've ever seen.
MKX took a long while to get Rollback Netcode and had so many bugs, issues and the online was something to be desired for months after release. PC version was a freaking joke and they only got patch a year later.
MK1 has it's problems but NRS has delt with this before, I know they will fix a lot of this down the road but character balancing is going to take a long while if we go by previous MK games.

I love the assist mechanic and can't wait till Tremor is available.
I am also excited for Ermac and Quan Chi as well as Takeda.
If datamines are true I'm very excited for Sektor, Cyrax, Cassie and Noob Saibot as playable characters.
With it listing a 38 Character Roster and 25 Kameos total I can't help but be stoked for things to come.
Hope they don't F it up with balancing like they have on previous MKs.
Don't nerf everything into the ground. Small buff, buff, buff with a minor nerf on the side.
I do like that they are letting things sit for a while.
Don't like the Cyrax approach they took but it definitely could of been worse. Just doesn't boad well

let’s change kombat league to ft2 because one annoying ass person complained about their health issues even though 90% of people were fine with it”

Like who the hell makes these decisions I don’t get it
Have you seen the response. Everyone is claiming FT2 is causing heart problems, strokes, ER visits and so on lol

What I think it was is that a F ton of Casuals complained about it being to long and not having enough time to play on lunch breaks or time off work.
Since the pro/competitive scene is about 0.02% of the customer base,,(thousands of competitive players of 3 Million sold) I think that is their reasoning.
If you looked at Boons posts and Mortal Kombat Twitter posts and Kombat Kast channel comments, there was a lot of what I assumed are casuals.
I even seen some Pro players on day 1 complaining about how long FT3 was but most didn't.
If I had to guess, casual player gets on KL to grind skins and gets board the moment they start losing. They only on their to win or get skins. Anything in their way is too much or broken and needs to go. They play their KL sets maybe get 2-0 wins then better player adapts and takes it 2-3. They where probably thinking if only it was FT2 I'd win every match because I'm that good LMAO

But anyways I can't imagine casuals like FT3 because they probably lose a large amount of their KL sets and that's a very long grind to get their skins and other rewards. Maybe "I got God Tier" on their YouTube channel or something.

I understand why they cater to casuals but I really want them to make the competitive side of MK1 tailored to Pros with counterplay and sick setplay and build characters toolsets with this in mind. Competitively it's important they make it with competitive Pro Tour in mind and with that said we need a Crowd Funding Skin pack for Pro Tour, I'd buy every single one of them if even 50% went to WB. The payouts for Pro Tour are seriously depressing. We could of had a New Era with dope new online players coming out of nowhere like Sonic and Ninjakilla used to be. But who's going to invest thousands for zero return I mean your playing against SonicFox, Xombat, Dragon, Rewind, Ninjakilla, it's stacked and just placing 5th gets you only $350 for who knows how many tournaments with the Final Kombat giving $1000 to 5th.
That's Depressing!
There has to be some kind of sponsors that could get behind MK1 scene and possibly televize or stream it. I bet it would be very profitable if one tournament had pay to watch out of the pro Tour. SonicFox himself has over 300K viewers.

Is nrs unaware of how bad lagswitchers are in their game? The amount of times iv lost to someone who was blatantly lagswitching is ridiculous. And there is 0 ways to actually report these people. Sony won't allow u to report as they subvert all responsibility and make u go through the game maker. But u can't do that either. I'm over all this cheating that's allowed.

Gito666

Ninjas > Special Forces
Is nrs unaware of how bad lagswitchers are in their game? The amount of times iv lost to someone who was blatantly lagswitching is ridiculous. And there is 0 ways to actually report these people. Sony won't allow u to report as they subvert all responsibility and make u go through the game maker. But u can't do that either. I'm over all this cheating that's allowed.
Could you define lag-switching plz? I've heard the term before, but still don't know what it actually is. I assume it has to do with abusing a shotty wifi connection somehow?

Could you define lag-switching plz? I've heard the term before, but still don't know what it actually is. I assume it has to do with abusing a shotty wifi connection somehow?
It's a literal switch that can be pressed to jack up your ping and make u drop combos, while their internet is fine. Ever played those matches where the ping indicator shoots from sub 100 to 2 and 300+ just as you go on the offensive or land a combo? They are lag switching. You can buy them off Amazon. Feel free too, it's impossible to report these people and NRS has allowed it since mk9. Disgraceful.

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
It's a literal switch that can be pressed to jack up your ping and make u drop combos, while their internet is fine. Ever played those matches where the ping indicator shoots from sub 100 to 2 and 300+ just as you go on the offensive or land a combo? They are lag switching. You can buy them off Amazon. Feel free too, it's impossible to report these people and NRS has allowed it since mk9. Disgraceful.
Yup ive had a couple of people do that shit on me , i usually put it down to lag but its not natural lag if that makes sense , its an ok connection until i land something then it goes to shit .. i just abuse pokes in that situation and they cant react its pretty funny

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
I do my best to enjoy myself but can't cuz everyone wants to play the same character/kameo and Omni-league but then i'm done. Why have guests without the actual actor. Why have them at all? Invasion mode is fine if you like that but can we, I dunno have an actual krypt or something else? This was never marketed as an assist game. Yes, I was aware they were not full on roster characters but why not say that. The shrine is already empty for me and anyone who probably had this game day 1. I have no clue what audience this game is after? everyone who played MK is older. lack of brutalities. all the cool outfits you have to buy. I had no idea who Omni-man was until this game. These characters do not deserve this at all! I mean, yes....I was not a big fan of MKX at first with the Kombat kids but it was new and fun. Why doesn't Ashrah have her black hair with her hat outfit. ugh. I will say this...I did play characters like Reiko for the first time and I'm liking him. Why don't we get a shirtless Johnny skin. I mean....even though Jean Claude Van Dam one would be okay but with the regular voice and face.

TLDR :
Shania needs to come in and make her timeline invade. You all get Shania skins for your characters, you can earn dragon crystals. Cool new stages and several versions of the pit. Day version, Holiday versions, Pit 3 version Pit 3 Variants with Sindel, and shao Kahn on the throne. I'm reaching out to all actors from the movies to do voices and likenesses. Everyone is going to get what they want! We are gonna go bonkers and make this game mega balanced. You're welcome! Oh and we are getting Steve Ritchie to announce and use our mixing/ai stuff to announce ALL characters. we are mixing modulating Megan Fox too.

Why can't I have world peace, no aging pain, money, and a hot man? I'm 41, i deserve it already! You guys do too!

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
I do my best to enjoy myself but can't cuz everyone wants to play the same character/kameo and Omni-league but then i'm done. Why have guests without the actual actor. Why have them at all? Invasion mode is fine if you like that but can we, I dunno have an actual krypt or something else? This was never marketed as an assist game. Yes, I was aware they were not full on roster characters but why not say that. The shrine is already empty for me and anyone who probably had this game day 1. I have no clue what audience this game is after? everyone who played MK is older. lack of brutalities. all the cool outfits you have to buy. I had no idea who Omni-man was until this game. These characters do not deserve this at all! I mean, yes....I was not a big fan of MKX at first with the Kombat kids but it was new and fun. Why doesn't Ashrah have her black hair with her hat outfit. ugh. I will say this...I did play characters like Reiko for the first time and I'm liking him. Why don't we get a shirtless Johnny skin. I mean....even though Jean Claude Van Dam one would be okay but with the regular voice and face.

TLDR :
Shania needs to come in and make her timeline invade. You all get Shania skins for your characters, you can earn dragon crystals. Cool new stages and several versions of the pit. Day version, Holiday versions, Pit 3 version Pit 3 Variants with Sindel, and shao Kahn on the throne. I'm reaching out to all actors from the movies to do voices and likenesses. Everyone is going to get what they want! We are gonna go bonkers and make this game mega balanced. You're welcome! Oh and we are getting Steve Ritchie to announce and use our mixing/ai stuff to announce ALL characters. we are mixing modulating Megan Fox too.

Why can't I have world peace, no aging pain, money, and a hot man? I'm 41, i deserve it already! You guys do too!
Very nice, well done ! :D

I think Shania Twain for USA President would be also an amazing idea, since, the current nowadays White House administration is nothing but a fucking shit joke nonetheless , hehe :p

Shania Twain

Very nice, well done ! :D

I think Shania Twain for USA President would be also an amazing idea, since, the current nowadays White House administration is nothing but a fucking shit joke nonetheless , hehe :p
Well. She isn't a US citizen. So she can't. She isn't even a dual citizen. Plus ... the politics ...well I won't go there, and I know you were being positive and silly but I think in Canada it is much different. Used to you didn't have to have a passport to cross the us/canada border. You just had to have a birth certificate. Also, I do know that that's why so many celebrities want to tour here so they can stay cuz I do know it's legal to own property and have a working visa. They also can live in switzerland and parts of Europe etc. I dunno. But yes....i wan't everyone to be happy and peace regardless. :)

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
I also think the MK1 theme should be replaced with a Shania diddly. (Lyrically redone of course)

Mind if I sit down?
Can I play your Omni a round?
Haven't seen your scrub face before
Are you new online?
It's the same non Ethernet line
Oh every time
Are you here alone?
Can I take you home?

Now every player sees
With every "pretty please"
There's a pair of lyin' brows
And a set of micro DLCs
Boon says come be a star
In the back seat of his car
Oh but baby slow down
You're patches' are goin way too far

Let me make it clear
To you my dear

If you're not
In it for love
If you're not
Willin' to give it all you got
If you're not in it for life
If you're not in it for love
Let me make it clear
To you my hairy eyebrowed dear
If you're not in it for love (just my 110 usd)
I'm outta here

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
apparently what i've been hearing 3 million that went into the shelves, not 3 milion they sold to us.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
apparently what i've been hearing 3 million that went into the shelves, not 3 milion they sold to us.
Well it’s always for some reason been really difficult to track sales for NRS games. Idk if that’s just all games in general these days or what. I just know that I’ve tried several times to figure out the sales of previous NRS games and there’s not like some type of tracker that updates every week or anything (that I’m aware of at least). Just the occasional outdated article that says “X NRS game sold Y amount of copies in the first month”.

So who knows what is accurate, but I thought I remember seeing the 3 million number from a reliable source. Also, I’d imagine maybe most of those 3 million are digital sales, as I assume most people just buy digital these days. It’s muuuch more convenient since you have to download the game even if it’s on a hard copy, and you can pre-download the game so that you can play it literally the moment it goes live. Plus you don’t have to deal with any mail shipping services or going to any stores. The only reason I’d get a physical copy is if a store was having a release day tournament of the game like GameStop used to with certain fighting games or something like that.

How has this game been out for two months and there’s STILL button input errors in the Moves List?!?! Been trying to figure out why Goros fatality never works. The moves list says “close” when really you have to be mid screen

with the amount of bugs, glitches and errors in this game NRS needs to seriously consider firing their whole QC team cause they were absolute shit this go around

Shania Twain

I also think the MK1 theme should be replaced with a Shania diddly. (Lyrically redone of course)

Mind if I sit down?
Can I play your Omni a round?
Haven't seen your scrub face before
Are you new online?
It's the same non Ethernet line
Oh every time
Are you here alone?
Can I take you home?

Now every player sees
With every "pretty please"
There's a pair of lyin' brows
And a set of micro DLCs
Boon says come be a star
In the back seat of his car
Oh but baby slow down
You're patches' are goin way too far

Let me make it clear
To you my dear

If you're not
In it for love
If you're not
Willin' to give it all you got
If you're not in it for life
If you're not in it for love
Let me make it clear
To you my hairy eyebrowed dear
If you're not in it for love (just my 110 usd)
I'm outta here
Actually the lyrics are on par to the actual game. They think it's 1995 and we have radio promo cd, radio edit. dance mix import, remix version. ugh. It's really becoming awful how "not fun" this game is. There was a post today from the writer reposting how to break into the game industry. It's called have rich parents, go to a rich school, then not quality test your job. lol. They have to fix this and FAST.

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
Game is too bare bones. I remember in Tekken 5 it had Tekken 1-3 in the disc, Tekken Force and Tekken Ball. This could easily be done today Tekken 5 was 2004 05 for console.

MK1 could've had Shaolin monks with online co-op

Mk1-3 from the 90s

Motor Kombat, Chess Kombat and Puzzle Kombat to pay homage to the early 2000s 3-D era

Tag Mode to draw from MK9

This captures all MKs magic into one game.

If a game from fuckin 20 years ago could do it I don't see a problem with today's technology.

Game is too bare bones. I remember in Tekken 5 it had Tekken 1-3 in the disc, Tekken Force and Tekken Ball. This could easily be done today Tekken 5 was 2004 05 for console.

MK1 could've had Shaolin monks with online co-op

Mk1-3 from the 90s

Motor Kombat, Chess Kombat and Puzzle Kombat to pay homage to the early 2000s 3-D era

Tag Mode to draw from MK9

This captures all MKs magic into one game.

If a game from fuckin 20 years ago could do it I don't see a problem with today's technology.
yeah they could have had new modes inspired by those ones in mk1 for sure,i always loved tekken force,so id be down for MK force haha could be very fun,online/coop too.

As for tag,well there is full tag mode code in the game at a very bare bones state,and you can actually accsses it on pc,wether its just left over code,thats scrapped or something that could come is unkown.

Realistically its probably left over and they transitioned into the kameo system.We may see some type of tag tower show up where it could be used as a 1 time/limited time only shtic or whatever.

I find it next to impossible of it becoming an actual game mode or the game transforming all kameos into full characters and the game becoming fully tag functional with allwoing you to switch out characters in the match and then having the original ones with kameo moves.

This sounds awsome but i feel like no way it will happen.