Votes: 20 16.7%
  • Cheetah

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Killer Frost

Votes: 22 18.3%
  • Other

Votes: 13 10.8%

• Total voters
  • Some people like the power sets of a character but wish that same power set could be played out in a completely different way... (example: MvC3's Hulk/She-Hulk). Many people in these threads have repeatedly articulated completely different, and yet still amazing, ways to play different DC characters with the same or very similar powers.
I never met someone who liked the idea of She-Hulk and X-23 in UMVC3.
Everyone I asked about on that topic said that it would have been better to get different characters like Iceman, Venom and oh happy me, many people wanted to have the Sentry (with Void) as the final boss and also having him playable in the game.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Every time someone on TRM expresses an opinion that does not match with the theory that 'to be best game it can be every character in the game must have completely unique diversity of powers' they seem to get attacked and beat over the head with the idea. This seems to be especially lame considering that this is an opinion poll asking for your personal preference in female characters. These character diversity arguments spring up pretty often on this board. God help anyone who accidentally drops a comment that they want Robin.

IMO the diversity of powers is rightly a factor to consider but I disagree with the overly-decisive weight that factor is being given by some. That theory seems narrow minded in that it limits other valid sources of enjoyment that different types of people can get from the game:
  • Some people enjoy the idea of playing favorite character from the comics. A Black Adam fanboy isn't about to give up on his preference and say the game is now perfect b/c Shazam is in it. Maybe they'd be satisfied w/ an alt skin for Shazam but they'd probably still much prefer a unique way to play the power set between the two. Why should fans of that character be belittled for still wanting their preferred character and expressing that opinion in an opinion poll?
  • Some people enjoy having the a play-style be repeated with very subtle variations b/c they enjoy the particular play-style but they want to explore how it's effected by subtle variations. Sakura/Ryu/Ken/Akuma wouldn't be repeated in every SF if those people didn't exists.
  • Some people like the power sets of a character but wish that same power set could be played out in a completely different way... (example: MvC3's Hulk/She-Hulk). Many people in these threads have repeatedly articulated completely different, and yet still amazing, ways to play different DC characters with the same or very similar powers.
Are any of these people wrong? Are they right? No and no. People are different and hold different opinions. There is no right set of standards by which to chose characters for this game. If I express an opinion that I like Power Girl, or someone else says they like Batgirl...please stop ignoring other ways to enjoy the game and please stop parroting back the same tired idea that everyone needs to have 100% unique powers so we can see all the bright shiny new colors.
Getting this out of the way: No one accidentally drops a request for Robin. They know what they're doing and who they are and that they will face judgment, so we might as well help them practice for their inevitable atonement.

I pretty much reject everything about this. For a number of reasons, really. First one that just jumps out at my face is that Capcom games are being held up as standard bearers of anything other than a prime example of things I don't play because they have one character repeating for at least three slots every title and are generally intolerable for a host of other reasons. The reasons for Ryu being on the roster five times are an entirely different discussion, but "because people like it" almost certainly would not be in the top three reasons I'd list for why it happens. Number one there would probably be "laziness informs tradition, tradition informs acceptability."

Point is, I'm not going to sit back and accept the notion of a God's honest failing on the basis that people who play fucking Street Fighter do just that for basically every title in the series. I want this game to be better than a Capcom title. Not to conform to their insulting standards just so a minority of people can have their dreams of 200% more tits and misogyny with their heat vision and rushdown come true.

Just because you're only voicing an opinion doesn't mean your opinion isn't a bad fucking idea.

BGMD

Noob
you can make 10 simillar looking snowmans in fg and give them all diferent moves and specials variations, in the end of the day they are still snowmans...

personaly i'm more for vastly different array of powers and mechanics characters can use in limited roster, so i feel that having Powergirl as an alt is good compromise, if you like her you can still rock with her...

EDIT: I guessed it was redundant to say that having 7 ninjas with radicaly different elemental powers is much more diverse than having same people with same or simillar powers...

Courtney

Burn in my Light
  • (example: MvC3's Hulk/She-Hulk). Many people in these threads have repeatedly articulated completely different, and yet still amazing, ways to play different DC characters with the same or very similar powers.

Edit: On a different note, the sissy pic find of PG is pretty damn funny
I don't think there's anyone not named ComboFiend that is happy with She-Hulk making the game

Jiggeh

Noob
Don't be silly. She-Hulk is a cool character, and I was extremely happy to see her included in MvC3, and out of the hundreds of thousands of people playing the game I'm surely not alone. X-23 for that matter is completely different from Wolverine in terms of look and playstyle, and is a unique and interesting MvC3 character in her own right. I for one would have been very disappointed to see Venom in either of their place.

Yes, visual and playstyle variety is great, and should obviously be a factor in deciding these things, but it is not the be all end all reasoning for roster picks. Even MK9 had 7 ninjas, 3 robots, Sub/CSZ, Jax/Sonya, Ermac/Kenshi, Liu Kang/Kung Lao, et cetera. Plenty of overlap in visual design, character backstory, powers/skills/fighting style and whatnot, but I don't think anyone would argue that the MK9 roster isn't varied enough, or that there are a bunch of characters who shouldn't have been in the game. At the end of the day, people want to play with the characters they like, and saying that NRS couldn't possibly make character A sufficiently different from character B is not showing very much faith in them. If anyone seriously thinks the devs aren't capable of that, I don't know why they would think NRS are capable of even making a decent fighting game in the first place.

With that out of the way, my picks were:
Black Canary
Hawkgirl
Raven
Power Girl
Big Barda

BC I picked because I think she's a cool looking character who seems appropriate for a fighting game. Would love to see how they would design her powers.
Hawkgirl and Raven I don't know much about, nor do I have strong opinions about them. But they look cool, and I support them being in the game. Would love to see Hawkgirl being based around flight and air movement, like MODOK in MvC3, or Yunfei in Samurai Shodown, it could make her a really unique character.
Power Girl. I like her, deal with it. 8)
Big Barda I think would be a very welcome addition not just for being a highly capable fighter, but also because she would make an unconventional female fighting game character from an aesthetic point of view. Women in fighting games seem to be depicted as dainty little girls most of the time, so I would be very happy to for once see one who is heavily armoured and tower over even most of the male cast.

I'm not saying they need to put 10 characters w/ the same powers in this game. There is already diversity of powers in the cast and I'm sure there will be much more before the 24+ characters are done. If you read my original post I made a point of saying I wouldn't care if they make PG an alt skin but I also would be happy with her in her own right. I also said I support other diverse choices such as Raven, Black Canary, Hawkgirl, and Zatanna.

I'm not trying to be the spokes person for PG either. I plan on maining Batman right now and casually playing a few others. But, the question asked what females I want and I think PG would be a cool selection that is being unfairly categorized and rejected as simply a female Superman clone. If you don't like the character then fine but, what I was saying, is that I think you are limiting potentially good game play choices if you are endorsing a policy of auto-rejecting simply because characters have like power sets.

Not everyone is going to rage and bemoan NR's failings if someone gets their choice of Batgirl, Supergirl, Sinestro, Robin, Black Adam, ect.... and, if NR does make a selection like that, it can be done in ways that still offer diversity of play styles. There are different ways NR can do it and make like powered characters play dramatically differently w/ completely different animations.

I think the biggest point that some people are having a problem with is that I also cited a minority opinion: even if NR should choose to make only subtle differences (which I doubt they would do), there are still positive experiences to be had from that for those that really enjoy the base play style. Even subtle changes can make a huge difference in how a character has to be handled and what's wrong w/ someone wanting to be able to approach a power set in a different way than what they've already been given? My point wasn't to suggest that you have to believe this way yourself. My point was to acknowledge that people have different and very valid motivations for making a like powered character selection. It's all just personal opinion being expressed in an opinion poll. Who are any of us to say who is right or wrong or to suggest that someone who doesn't buy your theory has no sense?

With that out of the way, my picks were:
Black Canary
Hawkgirl
Raven
Power Girl
Big Barda

BC I picked because I think she's a cool looking character who seems appropriate for a fighting game. Would love to see how they would design her powers. .....
I also want BC. I see her playing similar to Sindel but w/ more of a fast acrobatic martial arts feel to her normals and movement. It would be cool if her super involved her grabbing her opponent, sonic screaming in their face, then let them go while sonic screaming and watch the opponent fly across the screen.

I also want BC. I see her playing similar to Sindel but w/ more of a fast acrobatic martial arts feel to her normals and movement. It would be cool if her super involved her grabbing her opponent, sonic screaming in their face, then let them go while sonic screaming and watch the opponent fly across the screen.
She definitely got one of my votes. Hopefully she'll at least be popular enough for DLC.

Tofer Booboo

Anything could happen
I wonder what they are going to do with Raven.
If they are going to make her like the Teen Titans The Animates Series Raven and give her more telekinetic abilities, or like the comic where she mostly uses her Soul Self.

X-23 for that matter is completely different from Wolverine in terms of look and playstyle, and is a unique and interesting MvC3 character in her own right. I for one would have been very disappointed to see Venom in either of their place.
Not sure if serious.

If they are going to make her like the Teen Titans The Animates Series Raven and give her more telekinetic abilities, or like the comic where she mostly uses her Soul Self.
Thing about that...It seemed to me, especially after Cyborg's first incident with the T-Car that Raven WAS using her Soul Self to do the telekinetic stuff. Relevant quote: "When I use my powers, I have to put a little soul of me whenever I'm moving. I become a part of it, and it becomes a part of me."

In any event, why can't they combine it? Perhaps the Soul Self attacks could be her gimmick?

Tofer Booboo

Anything could happen
Thing about that...It seemed to me, especially after Cyborg's first incident with the T-Car that Raven WAS using her Soul Self to do the telekinetic stuff. Relevant quote: "When I use my powers, I have to put a little soul of me whenever I'm moving. I become a part of it, and it becomes a part of me."

In any event, why can't they combine it? Perhaps the Soul Self attacks could be her gimmick?
I can see them doing that, but I wonder also what some of the people would expect when they see her, comic or show.
But I think which ever they use will turn out well, I was only curious.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
I never met someone who liked the idea of She-Hulk and X-23 in UMVC3.
Seriously? A lot of people that I've talked to (myself included) really like She Hulk and X-23 being in the game.

They're both cool female characters with really cool playstyles.

Seriously? A lot of people that I've talked to (myself included) really like She Hulk and X-23 being in the game.
They're both cool female characters with really cool playstyles.
Yeah, seriously.
I used to be into comics a lot and most of the people I know like them as well, and there are not too many who were happy about these two being in the game. Actually no one was happy.

Why? She-Hulk is a walking joke-character; as also portrayed in Marvel 3 - just like Hercules.
And X-23? That has to be the most terrible character in comic book history. Her origin is so incredibly distasteful and stupid that I don't even want to think about that character.

But the main problem is always ... they may play and feel different than their male counterparts, but in the end of the day they're still wasted slots for characters who are far more unique and could offer you much more, like for example Anti-Venom. One could argue that he is exactly the same as Spider-Man, but thanks to the symbiote Venom opens an entirely new world of powers and in game fun.
If I can have that, I could care less about characters like Batgirl and Power Girl, since they simply don't bring anything new to the roster besides more boobs.

Don't get me wrong, I like boobs... No, I love boobs. But if I have the choice, I would still take the boobs that offer me more like Ivy's, or Circes, or ... you get the point, aight :)

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Run the two together, hopefully. I'd want her to play a runaway game with TK and teleports to build and spend meter for Soul Self pressure/mixups.

Ideally.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Yeah, seriously.
I used to be into comics a lot and most of the people I know like them as well, and there are not too many who were happy about these two being in the game. Actually no one was happy.

Why? She-Hulk is a walking joke-character; as also portrayed in Marvel 3 - just like Hercules.
And X-23? That has to be the most terrible character in comic book history. Her origin is so incredibly distasteful and stupid that I don't even want to think about that character.

But the main problem is always ... they may play and feel different than their male counterparts, but in the end of the day they're still wasted slots for characters who are far more unique and could offer you much more, like for example Anti-Venom. One could argue that he is exactly the same as Spider-Man, but thanks to the symbiote Venom opens an entirely new world of powers and in game fun.
If I can have that, I could care less about characters like Batgirl and Power Girl, since they simply don't bring anything new to the roster besides more boobs.

Don't get me wrong, I like boobs... No, I love boobs. But if I have the choice, I would still take the boobs that offer me more like Ivy's, or Circes, or ... you get the point, aight :)
The slots might have been used on someone who's character you enjoy more, but playstyle wise they're both extremely cool and unique.

She hulk is one of the coolest brawler/grappler characters that I've ever seen, especially because she has the stance. Having a character like that in a game like MvC3 is really unexpected, but they made it work out.

X-23 is like no character I've ever seen, chargeable forward momentum moves with 5 different effects (Hit, hit low, dash through, jump, command throw), two crazy aerial movement options, really cool normals, awesome combo loops with even more awesome resets, and dat level 3.

I mean as cool as Anti-Venom could be (and he WOULD have a ton of crazy possibilities in game), a lot of people don't know who he is, so it would be a really big risk for Capcom to put him in. At least we got some characters who aren't the usual suspects and have REALLY cool playstyles.

And as far as She Hulk being a joke character; MvC3 has a little bit of a joking atmosphere to it. That's why they have characters like Viewtiful Joe, Arthur, Phoenix Wright, Tron, Deadpool, etc. She was probably supposed to fit along those lines of seriousness.

That was a very nice post indeed, that would be used to justify these two characters in the game. And it does do that.

I do disagree with one thing though. (Anti-)Venom being unknown and therefore a risk for the game?
Well, they had Rocket Racoon in the game, so I think that a Venom-version shouldn't be that risky ;-) Venom is an iconic character in the Marvel universe and he was also in the (terrible) blockbuster movie Spider-Man 3. Additionally there is a new Venom and as you already mentioned, Eddie Brock returned as Anti-Venom a while ago (but now they're messing his comics up again).

EGP Wonder_Chef

That was a very nice post indeed, that would be used to justify these two characters in the game. And it does do that.

I do disagree with one thing though. (Anti-)Venom being unknown and therefore a risk for the game?
Well, they had Rocket Racoon in the game, so I think that a Venom-version shouldn't be that risky ;-) Venom is an iconic character in the Marvel universe and he was also in the (terrible) blockbuster movie Spider-Man 3. Additionally there is a new Venom and as you already mentioned, Eddie Brock returned as Anti-Venom a while ago (but now they're messing his comics up again).
Well Venom definitely wouldn't be a risk and I have no idea why he isn't in.

Anti-Venom though I think might go over a lot of people's heads.

Your point about Rocket Raccoon is valid though, haha.

I want to know why so many iconic vs. series characters didn't make the cut... Venom, Gambit, Rogue, Cyclops, fucking Mega Man, etc.

Oh well, that's Capcom...

I want to know why so many iconic vs. series characters didn't make the cut... Venom, Gambit, Rogue, Cyclops, fucking Mega Man, etc.
Oh well, that's Capcom...
People always think because of upcoming stuff from the companies.

Like for example, we have characters like Nova, Iron Fist, Hawkeye and Rocket Raccoon in the game. One could argue that Nova and Iron Fist made it in to promote the on going (and terrible) Spider-Man show, where Nova and Iron Fist are Spider-Mans team mates.
Hawkeye had a short role in the Thor movie and a bigger role in the "Avengers" movie.
And Rocket Raccoon will be in the upcoming "Guardians of the Galaxy" movie.

Don't know about Mega Man though. I think Capcom could be simply done with the character, since they think he doesn't attract as many people as he did in the past.
Probably also the reason why they westernized "Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City" and even "Resident Evil 6", why they had to give the DmC franchise to a english developer and let them reboot it big time and so on, and so on.