What's new

What Exactly Are Fundamentals?

Gh0sty

ばかみたいに無料
"Fundementals" in FG's is a transferable skill set of universal concepts, eg. spacing, whiff punishing, counter poking, etc. It's the thing that makes PR Balrog place in our tournaments.

There is game specific fundamentals as well, but that's a general definition. It's the core skills that form the basis of the meta game.

In Street Fighter, pick up Ryu and don't use any combo, reversal, setup or FADC at all. Also never jump forward, only neutral jump and back jump. If you struggle playing like this it means you have no strong fundamentals. If you can beat good players with just normals, anti-airs, air-to-airs and special moves then it means you have a solid set of fundamentals.

Execution is an important skill but not part of "the fundamentals".

Last edited:

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
When I think of fundamentals, I think of the back to basics idiom.

Am I completely off in thinking this?

SonicBoomBrad

Best Doomsday in the world
In Street Fighter, pick up Ryu and don't use any combo, setup or FADC at all. Also never jump forward, only neutral jump and back jump. If you struggle playing like this it means you have no strong fundamentals. If you can beat good players with just normals, anti-airs, air-to-airs and special moves then it means you have a solid set of fundamentals.
I was going to post the most recent Daigo/Bonchan match on topanga but I didn't think anyone would know what was going on.

Fromundaman

I write too much.
I don't think execution is that important. I've seen plenty of players with lower than expected execution do well.

Execution is great though in that it differentiates the dedicated players from those less so. Usually those with the best execution are those that have more knowledge.
Execution is important in that when you get a hit you can't drop the combo. However, the execution required to do that with say, Aquaman, is different then the execution requirement of doing that with Joker.

OG Mannimal

OG "OG Mannimal" Mannimal
I think of fundamentals as something you can apply to all fighting games universally, and do moderately well using them.

If I had to break down fundamentals myself, I would say it's:

-The ability to REACT to what your opponent is doing (anti-air, air-to-air, block, whiff punish)
-The ability to PREDICT what your opponent is about to do (bait, read, chase, stuff/counter hit, tech throws)
-The ability to ADAPT to any given situation (downloading a player, exploiting bad habits and patterns)
-The ability to CAPITALIZE on mistakes made by the opponent (proper optimal punishes, knowing when to go for guaranteed damage vs resets vs corner carry vs side switch)
-The ability to VISUALIZE the space that both players are occupying and want to occupy (being well aware of the range and hitboxes of each normal/special)

Last edited:

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
Fundamentals are something you can break down universally and apply it to every fighting game without prior knowledge of the title.
fundamentals in fighting games means you fully understand the concept of footsies (and i dont mean just saying the word to sound cool, i mean actually understanding), spacing, whiffing and punishing. These are 4 basic mechanics that exist in every fighting game and it can take you a long way.

Also, fundamentals =\= skill whatsoever. Having skill at one game does not mean you are fundamentally sound with fighting games. It takes years of experience to truely understand the intricacies of fighting games and their mechanics.

The best example of fundamentals in a person would be Justin Wong. He truly understands what fighting games are about. When it comes to Justin, hand him ANY game and in less than a month, maybe even a week, he can compete with anyone on the planet.

Now I see some people said execution is a big factor.. yes and no. It's good to have basic execution, understanding motions and executing them at will without any thought, but thats as far as it goes. In a game like street fighter, its possible to win with ANY character without landing so much as a 2 hit combo, as long as you are "fundamentally" sound and understand what situations you get into. Learning basic combos will get you far, it never has to be fancy or optimized.

Hope this helps @FOREVER EL1TE

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Fundamentals are essentially the basic mechanics. Anti airs, blocking, walking/running/dashing, throw/throw teching, combos/combo system etc. Since a lot of the fundamentals are basic things, they can be applied from fighter to fighter. Not all fighters have the exact same fundamentals though, and you need a lot more than good fundamentals to succeed.

JTB123

>>R2 - BF4 = Unblockable.
I've always found it something very hard to sum up, I think the way Foxy put it hits the nail on the head though.