What's new

What Exactly Are Fundamentals?

I have no idea what they are. I may already be using fundamentals without even knowing. Could someone explain to me what they are and how valuable are they in skill/gameplay?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Spacing, timing, poking and counterpoking.. Being patient and reacting with the right move at the right time.. Knowing when to attack, when to dash, when to jump, when to walk, blocking skills, anti-airing, being quick and accurate with punishes, etc. Those are fundamentals.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet but execution is probably one of the most essential fundamentals to master with game/system knowledge a close second. Both are simple in concept but vastly complicated in practice. Those two areas encompass a lot of aspects but again, inconsistent execution is like not knowing how to dribble but trying to play a game of basketball.

Reactions: Tzu

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Spacing, timing, poking and counterpoking.. Being patient and reacting with the right move at the right time.. Knowing when to attack, when to dash, when to jump, when to walk, blocking skills, anti-airing, being quick and accurate with punishes, etc. Those are fundamentals.
I would say that's knowledge and not necessarily fundamentals.

Fundamentals I would say is the understanding of how the game feels so you have an idea if something you don't know would work or not.

It's hard to translate this into Injustice because the game feels different in every match-up so you can't truly grasp the flow of the game. Which is why gimmicks are really strong.

EDIT: Like, if you have solid fundamentals about a game, you can pick up a character that you don't know about and easily figure out what's good about him/her because you would be able to know how that specific tool would be useful in a situation.

Again, this example can't really be applied to Injustice because every match-up feels like a different game so you don't necessarily know what situations to look for unless you're thinking about a specific match-up.

Reactions: TKB

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet but execution is probably one of the most essential fundamentals to master with game/system knowledge a close second. Both are simple in concept but vastly complicated in practice. Those two areas encompass a lot of aspects but again, inconsistent execution is like not knowing how to dribble but trying to play a game of basketball.
I don't think execution is that important. I've seen plenty of players with lower than expected execution do well.

Execution is great though in that it differentiates the dedicated players from those less so. Usually those with the best execution are those that have more knowledge.