What's new

What does TYM think of MK11 combos?

CallMeTetris

draxx them sklounst
I mean, it's obviously a bit early to say since we're working with such limited information even on a good chunk of the characters we've seen, but I for one really like the flow of mk11 combos and am especially glad i don't have to look at a stupid-ass njp after every single launch. The absence of that alone makes it so much better.

Also I fully expect Kitana to once again be an insanely obnoxious combo character, so at least there's that....

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Combo videos, when ppl start making them once the game is out, are going to be interesting to say the least because whereas in MKX you just said the variation you were usign, now you have to specify which special moves you've attached to your character so combos are going to become much more specific and situational.
Im excited to see.

Demon_0

RIP Akira Toriyama
I think it is character specific tbh. If you look at Scorpion, I think he is a combo-heavy character. Baraka seems to have some decent combo potential, comparable to Raiden. Whereas Kabal, Jade, and Geras seem to have limited options so far.

I am not worried, though. Want to get my hands on it first and with all options like Krushing Blows and wakeup launchers I'm sure we can create some awesome combos. For example, I've seen Baraka land two Krushing Blows in one combo. Pretty sick.

Last edited:

OzzFoxx

Hardcore gaming poser.
Every game has a game loop that is the “hook” for players. With MKX, for me it was clever juggling, defense against rushdown, somewhat rushdown offense and satisfying tick throw/grapple elements. As combos/juggling was probably the primary reward for calculated decision making, I was quite concerned about the combo changes. However, as I watched more the hooks I’ve been looking forward to have changed considerably. Solitary heavy punishes, like KBs, and gaining space control look to be the primary hook now. And they look extremely gratifying to obtain. So yeah, my immature self wants a bit more combo potential, but the hardcore gamer in me knows the reward for exploring mk11s depth is there. So, I’m hype.

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
I agree

Not directed at you or anyone personally!
No one should attack anyone for asking questions like this. It's a legitimate concern for many and with how crappy the Kombat kasts have been it's bound to foster concern.

There are many legit concerns and unknowns:
  • What moves can you pair together
  • What variations will we get
  • What characters can launch without meter.
  • Will there be block strings
  • What level of cancel pressure will there be?
  • How reactable will 50/50s be?
Ect.

Anyways I'm of the opinion no one knows until we have proper hands on the final game.
These not “legit concerns” at the moment... these are all of the things that we learn when the game comes out and everyone digs in...

VSC_Supreme

TYM's #1 L taker.
I'd prefer the shorter combo system to be honest, MKX's combos were fun, but Inj2 the combo loops were more or less the same standard stuff. String into MB launcher, into juggle combo, into stun state, into string+combo ender.

Getting called a combo spammer for using bread and butter stuff is entertaining tho.

methademic

UPR Methademic
Sure, here is how I feel.

There will most certainly still be high execution, tight link combos.

No one actually enjoys playing against a kitana/cyrax/leatherface and being in a combo for an hour and a half.

Long combos do not equate to difficult to do combos

Play the damn game before formulating your goofy ass opinions.

VSC_Supreme

TYM's #1 L taker.
Wasn't that the basic formula for MKX, though, too? There's always exceptions, but I always thought that's just how it normally goes when you use a string based combo system.
In my opinion it is, run cancels, corner carries and some juggle shenanigans aside, it ends up being the same loop for most of the cast.

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
In my opinion it is, run cancels, corner carries and some juggle shenanigans aside, it ends up being the same loop for most of the cast.
Fbcs are cancer (lol) don’t know hot to fight back against them when playing Lao,who doesn’t have a good armor move

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
Did I really just see someone say Gearas doesn’t have combo potential when he has EX Pilliar, Temporal Advantage, Rewind? It’s gonna be really hard to say whether combos are limited in the game because just don’t have access to it yet.
If anything, just from what I've seen of him thus far, Geras seems like he'll be one of the most execution-heavy characters in the game.

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
From what I have seen so far combos being shorter might make them boring or repetitive. Fatal blows will get old soon. The variation might add variety to combos.
You should now go online and face NinjaKilla's Liu Kang and get back to us with your thoughts. He's got a combo or two in MKX that he would love to show you. Be ready to hit "Rematch" after the second touch he gets on you is done.

If anything the combos will be more diverse because different conversions will require different combos. In Mkx and especially I2 you can get the same optimized combo off any conversation. Let's not pretend like most combos in Mkx were that hard anyway. They were just long.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
For my main Kabal, I hope he does end up having at least slightly longer combos than what we’ve seen thus far, but doesn’t need to be mkx length or anything

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Combos look fine imo. I just hope Kitana is still combo/unbreakable heavy lol. Juggle boys

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
seems fine .... it's good see a match lasting more than 10 seconds, and with none 100% full damage from a "touch of death" combo someone did with a broken ass shit character :p

I think it's fine they wanted to slow the game down a notch in terms of damage but a lot of the animations seem very slow to me, grabs are too long, lack of string variety, clunky animations like with Geras. I see a lot of repetitive strings and flowchart play happening in the Kombat Kasts. Maybe it feels better when you're playing it but right now the game looks slow and stilted. The character models seem so static.

Corruption100

Plus Frame Enjoyer
I think it's fine they wanted to slow the game down a notch in terms of damage but a lot of the animations seem very slow to me, grabs are too long, lack of string variety, clunky animations like with Geras. I see a lot of repetitive strings and flowchart play happening in the Kombat Kasts. Maybe it feels better when you're playing it but right now the game looks slow and stilted. The character models seem so static.

Fairly certain thats because people dont have alot of time with the game. 16bit might be the only person with experience to know extra strings but he typically likes showing off specials. Could be he cant remember every string for 20+ characters as well