What's new

What does TYM think of MK11 combos?

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
This is something my friends are worried about but I remain undetermined until I get my hand on the games finalized version.

We are 50 something days away from release data of MK11 and many around me say MK11 has no combos or neutered combos.

One individual pointed out that you can't do complex combos like MKX and that it seems like most characters revealed don't have many or any strings that allow juggle launchers without a special cancel and amplify.
I myself have felt we have enough damage and just thought the duration of combos was shortened which is a good thing ultimately.

This is an important part of Mortal Kombat for many including myself to have combo diversity. I spent the majority of my free time on MK titles labbing up diverse and complex combos from multiple strings and specials finding my favorite ones with highest damage output and best ender.
I had so much fun doing this and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Does anyone feel Mortal Kombat 11 has the same combo potential as MKX or is it a neutered version?
(not talking about percentage but rather how many times you can juggle in a single combo).

EDIT:
So everyone is clear I'm not against MK11 in any way. I realize the game is not out yet and what we have seen is far from optimal.
I actually think we have decent combos and if not we haven't seen everything yet. I'm a big hands on first before change type of guy.
One of my friends is going berserk and thinks it won't be anything close to what we knew MK to be. For him labbing combos was the majority of the game. Me and him have different perspectives.

With all of that said and clarified I'm wondering what TYM thinks about it compared to previous MKs.
Obviously we have high damage untapped but will it be short juggles with high damage?

Last edited:

Kratilim

Noob
I find it kind of hard to understand why ppl are worried about something like this before actually playing the game. Nobody has had enough time with the game to actually say if long combos are out of the question or not. Ketchup and Mustard have even put out a video demonstrating some combos then look pretty long to me. And that was with just a little amount of time with the game. I'd say be patient and see how the game plays. Its silly to make conclusions without playing the damn game.

Edit: That said... they removed the breaker for a reason.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Not to be blunt, but it doesn’t really matter what you or anyone else thinks about it right now. Love it or hate it, MK11 is its own game — and we’d do best to explore it and enjoy it for what it is, instead of constantly trying to make it into MKX or MK9 or any other game.

The game systems are done, it’s going gold soon, and we’re about to be off to the races. Let’s enjoy the ride.

If you want to know what TYM thinks, wait till they play it; because that’s when the opinions really matter.

Last edited:

LawAbidingCitizen

Not to be blunt, but it doesn’t really matter what you or anyone else thinks about it right now. Love it or hate it, MK11 is its own game — and we’d do best to explore it and enjoy it for what it is, instead of constantly trying to make it into MKX or MK9 or any other game.

The game systems are done, it’s going gold soon, and we’re about to be off to the races. Let’s enjoy the ride.

If you want to know what TYM thinks, what till they play it; because that’s when the opinions really matter.
I agree

Not directed at you or anyone personally!
No one should attack anyone for asking questions like this. It's a legitimate concern for many and with how crappy the Kombat kasts have been it's bound to foster concern.

There are many legit concerns and unknowns:
  • What moves can you pair together
  • What variations will we get
  • What characters can launch without meter.
  • Will there be block strings
  • What level of cancel pressure will there be?
  • How reactable will 50/50s be?
Ect.

Anyways I'm of the opinion no one knows until we have proper hands on the final game.

Last edited:

Krankk

Smoke & Noob & Rain
As a beginner I'm a big fan of the concept for various reasons:

1. When you're starting out, you really haven't yet developed the muscle memory for 30 hit combos, which consist out of your opening string + an EX launching special + a follow up string and an ender special. When you put in jumping attacks as well or hell, even run cancels... It becomes rather demotivating. So sweet and short, yet damaging combos ala Street Fighter style are easier to get accustomed to.

2. Having shorter combos, which probably also do less damage (if Krushing Blows don't come into play) results in longer rounds. It results in you having to open your oppenent up more often. And that forces you to git gud at the neutral aspects of the game. If someone has better footsies and reads than you, having shorter combos won't make it easier for you. But it's still more interesting, because you also have more chances to fight back, or at least learn from it.
If you're a beginner losing 30-40% of your life after just one BnB combo, like in MKX.. Man, you immediately switch into panic mode and forget everything else.

Obviously games shouldn't always be catered towards casuals and beginners, but even more experienced players or tournament players even... I mean I've seen NinjaKilla kill fools within 2 combos. He touched them twice and the fight was over. I know that's hype, but is it really that much hyper than watching a match full of awesome footsies / spacing - which could very well be possible in MK 11. I'm looking forward to it.

And I think that the mastery of Krushing Blow will still lead to long ass, high damaging combos. So everyone will still get something out of it. I'm sure of it.

LawAbidingCitizen

As a beginner I'm a big fan of the concept for various reasons:

1. When you're starting out, you really haven't yet developed the muscle memory for 30 hit combos, which consist out of your opening string + an EX launching special + a follow up string and an ender special. When you put in jumping attacks as well or hell, even run cancels... It becomes rather demotivating. So sweet and short, yet damaging combos ala Street Fighter style are easier to get accustomed to.

2. Having shorter combos, which probably also do less damage (if Krushing Blows don't come into play) results in longer rounds. It results in you having to open your oppenent up more often. And that forces you to git gud at the neutral aspects of the game. If someone has better footsies and reads than you, having shorter combos won't make it easier for you. But it's still more interesting, because you also have more chances to fight back, or at least learn from it.
If you're a beginner losing 30-40% of your life after just one BnB combo, like in MKX.. Man, you immediately switch into panic mode and forget everything else.

Obviously games shouldn't always be catered towards casuals and beginners, but even more experienced players or tournament players even... I mean I've seen NinjaKilla kill fools within 2 combos. He touched them twice and the fight was over. I know that's hype, but is it really that much hyper than watching a match full of awesome footsies / spacing - which could very well be possible in MK 11. I'm looking forward to it.

And I think that the mastery of Krushing Blow will still lead to long ass, high damaging combos. So everyone will still get something out of it. I'm sure of it.
I couldn't agree more.

Agilaz

It has begun
MKX combo system was pretty garbo anyway, especially in matches where characters would have these extremely long winded combos. No thanks, I'll take MK11's shorter combos.

Things like jab juggles or d1 juggles in the corner (Mileena could even d1 juggle you midscreen lol) looked so fucking stupid, I really hope that stuff doesn't come back

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
If you watch K&M videos, then you'll know that there are a few combos. And I plan to try some combos I have thought as Sub Zero. I plan to try Frost and Fujin (if he ever makes it in) and try to bring out their potential. Not only I love experimenting the combos, even the hardest AF ones, but, also, labbing potential OKI setups, punishes, and such.

I feel that there's much to it than the eyes and the hands meet. After seeing the twins' combos, I got some ideas I plan to try out.

LawAbidingCitizen

MKX combo system was pretty garbo anyway, especially in matches where characters would have these extremely long winded combos. No thanks, I'll take MK11's shorter combos.

Things like jab juggles or d1 juggles in the corner (Mileena could even d1 juggle you midscreen lol) looked so fucking stupid, I really hope that stuff doesn't come back
I actually loved almost every MK combo system.
But I can appreciate the reduced duration of MK11 for reasons listed by other posts:

Combos shouldn't take all of your life or last year's imo. As long as I have my diversity in complex and hard to master combos I'll be all set. There is a sense of fulfillment and accomplishment when you master those hard combos and pull them off in a live setting, I want to keep that. If they are shorter and less time off clock that's fine in fact great.

I see this game going in the right direction and I'm so hype to get my hands on it.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Pretty sure we've had enough discussion about MK11 combos.
  1. The game ain't out yet.
  2. Gameplay means jackshit when we haven't seen all the abilities and variations we can create with characters.
  3. Chill, play the beta and see for yourself.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
Unfortunately, that's something we'll just have to wait until the game is released to really find out.

For me, combo length isn't exactly an issue so much as combo freedom is. If there's one thing I dislike, it's feeling like I'm forced to use a combo created by the developers instead of one I came up with on my own. It's satisfying to go into training mode and create a new combo or setup that people haven't seen before.

One of my favorite fighting games, Tekken Tag 2, really hit it out of the park with this. Even though the combos could be TOO long in that game, every time I went into training mode, I felt I could leave with a new combo or setup that was useful, and that I had never seen before. Room for combo creativity is one of the best aspects of FGs to me, and I hope it exists in MK11.

Corruption100

Plus Frame Enjoyer
This was a marketing mistake imo. Nrs originally said 11 has shorter/less combos and people lost their shit. Then they watched players with 2 hours of practice zone and of course the idea spread that there are no combos. Now theyve been trying to dig themselves out the hole every chance they get by mentioning the game has combos.

I think they could have revealed it better. Could have said the game was less combo focused, high damage, whatever. Still, ive found mostly casuals have this idea that 30 second combos are what make the game fun. Ive actually had people say it's not about winning or the damage, but about how long you can juggle a guy (insert question mark meme). Once again a small minority is pissed.

I think it's great that combos are....different. the kb mechanic will force people to use more than 1 optomized combo, and wel get to see a variety of moves and strings people manage to put together. I really think it will make the game fluid to watch. Imagine someone getting mixed 3 times with 3 different combos. It's gonna be sexy.

Skedar70

Noob
From what I have seen so far combos being shorter might make them boring or repetitive. Fatal blows will get old soon. The variation might add variety to combos.