What's new

What Does MKX Benefit From Having A Block Button?

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
Having a block button means crossups aren't a problem at all and I think MK would be cool holding back to block. This would surely be a huge change.
Wrong. and you couldnt be more wrong. cross ups were still a problem on mk9. just not in the same sense. it seems to me like you dont understand the mk9 meta at all but im gonna waste my time repeating myself over and over.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Yes, Scorpion was changed a lot. Making MB Teleport - is a HUGE change. What are you even talking about? I won't go into the details because that would completely de-rail the thread, but...nerfing Scorpion's damage output, his jump attacks, and his teleport completely changed the character.

Is today "Wild, unfounded statement" day or something?
The best he got from MB Teleport pre-patch was still a very scaled conversion or a mixup check, on top of needing further meter for obvious reasons. His mixups were the same pre-patch and are quite frankly, pathetic.... compared to Batgirl's. I don't remember all the damage output properties pre-patch, but was there actually any matchups where the damage output from said 50/50s were in his favor?

I can sort of see the difference in jump attacks but that was because the D2 buff hadn't fully come to fruition. If an encouraged anti-air tool isn't doing what it's labeled to do, then yeah, understandably, something needs to be done.

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
For the sake of argument: 50/50 throw/hit mixups that seem to be prominent in MKX won't be a lot less "braindead", I suppose.
Probably, but I'm going out on a limb and say by the 50/50 related threads here, people don't romanticize those either. It's just one less 50/50 type.

K7L33THA

Grapple > Footsies
Totally changes the footsies game, imo. You can block without having to walk backwards. Allows for a more aggressive style of play all around. Not that this is necessarily a good thing or bad thing... it's just MK's style.

Also, after 2 years of injustice... a little tired of every single knockdown by almost every character leading to some ambiguous crossup lol. I'm not hating on it... I just prefer MK.
Fuck yes. Amen to this post.

AnaboliChris

Master of Magnetism
lol did you really think those double-blind ambiguous crossups you've been doing made you a skilled player? Do you also consider yourself skilled at playing "heads or tails"?
Fact: It isnt 50/50. Try playing more than one fighting game and you'll understand.

It's only 50/50 if you close your eyes.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Ambiguous cross-ups are the worst thing about b2b fighters imo. It adds nothing but randomness and luck. You are not great for blocking it right, you are just lucky.
Same is true for other "true" 50/50. You can say that some of them involve mindgames, but at the same time you can say that some crossups involve spacing game.

Probably, but I'm going out on a limb and say by the 50/50 related threads here, people don't romanticize those either. It's just one less 50/50 type.
True, but having one less type of 50/50 situations it doesn't mean there will be less situations themselves...

Fact: It isnt 50/50. Try playing more than one fighting game and you'll understand.

It's only 50/50 if you close your eyes.
To be fair, we are dealing with NRS brand 3D hitbox wonkyness. Since MKX will have them again, I can see why people don't like the idea of having crossups on top of it.
It's pretty funny when standing attack crosses you up in the corner, I can give that...

scarsunseen

Miley Cyrax®
I'm just used to having a block button. Been playing MK since the first game. My 2nd favorite fighting game is Soul Calibur. I like being able to move backwards while someone is attacking.

AnaboliChris

Master of Magnetism
To be fair, we are dealing with NRS brand 3D hitbox wonkyness. Since MKX will have them again, I can see why people don't like the idea of having crossups on top of it.
It's pretty funny when standing attack crosses you up in the corner, I can give that...
I was referring to other fighting games [basically 95% of fighting games in the market]. Thats a funny joke to say that crossup is 50/50. Again, only if your eyes were closed.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
That's the silliest thing I've ever read.
You must not read much.
I was referring to other fighting games [basically 95% of fighting games in the market]. Thats a funny joke to say that crossup is 50/50. Again, only if your eyes were closed.
Ambiguous cross-ups are 50/50. You have to guess which side to block.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
It heavily depends on the character, jump attack used, etc. But a lot of the times, changing the timing by a hair can alter the timing on an ambiguous crossup enough to not even crossup at all. To the point where it actually is pretty much luck. And that's not including the fact that characters may be able to use different jump attacks to give a crossup or not.

Sometimes it's difficult to get a crossup that ambiguous, sometimes it's not. Either way, it is one of the advantages (and disadvantages) of b2b games. It's not better or worse, though, just different, really.

AnaboliChris

Master of Magnetism
Ambiguous cross-ups are 50/50. You have to guess which side to block.
A cross up will always go to the opposite side. You simply press the opposite direction every time. Thats not 50/50. The name in on itself signifies one direction.

Cross up = Other side.

It is also spaced depended. I've never heard anyone complain about cross up in any game [except on this forum of course].