What's new

Strategy Was it good for you? - Mileena general discussion

I dunno, I usually just watch the archived vids. But it's supposed to be on tonight at like 10pm eastern time.

So I noticed since you can pretty much cancel any normal into sai, her poking game actually becomes pretty decent if you can pull off these cancels at will. D+3/D+4 into sai I believe is uninterruptible on block, but it can be hard to do. You basically have to do DB+3, F+1 for the buffer. doing this after dashing gives you a quick low into either chip damage or actual damage should they try to interrupt or jump out. Same with D+1.

In this case, EX Sai can be useful for those who will try to act after blocking the first sai. or if they keep blocking it's extra chip. Using DF+3, F+3 gives you of course the low poke into tele-kick. Unsafe if you don't use EX version, but still gives them something to think about. If you can scare them into hesitating, you get your throw, B+3, U+4 mixup.

blocking overheads

I don't get it, I've found several people who were clearly crouching but using u4 or b1, 3 didn't work at all, why?

Played some offline matches last night. Something I think that's been overlooked for Mileena is a delayed air sai.

Everyone loves to use the instant Air sai, but iAS can be jumped over if done as low to the ground as possible. So I've been messing around with jumping at someone (or away) and doing the air sai as you're coming down. If they try to anti air, (depending on the move) it can interrupt them. Also, if they try to use a projectile, you can halt your downward momentum with this so the projectile passes beneath you. (specifically things like KL low hat and Kabal ground saw.) Lastly, if they try to jump back and punch you, they get hit with the sai and well... you know what happens after that.

I think if it's used sparingly enough it can be just as good, if not better, than iAS.

Velvet Sack

A Dream and a Dream
DetroitBalln313 gave me pretty awesome reset tip. When your opponent is on the ground, if you are at the right distance, dash in and as they're getting up use b3 into en roll. If your opponent is doing something other than blocking low, they get hit with the full combo. If they're blocking low, they get hit with everything after the overhead.

The specific example he used was ending a juggle combo with 1,1 and letting them fall. I've found it works with other stuff, too.

Example:
u4, u4, b14, 4, roll, b14, (32%)-reset-dash, b3, en roll, b14, 4, roll, b14, roll (31%)
63% total, 61% if b3 is blocked.

I know b3 into en roll has been discussed here, but if this specific use has been brought up I must have missed it.

Yeah the OTG traps tend to work pretty well against players who don't like to use wakeup attacks often. (It even works on quite a few wakeup attacks like Kabal's overhead slam.) Of course it can be blocked, but it's hard if you don't see it alot. There are lots of wakeup attacks that beat her B+3 clean though so as long as it's not overly abused, it's a decent setup.

Some other "resets" I've used are ending combos with Telekick where you intentionally whiff and land behind them on the ground. (ex: roll, U4, B14, 112, telekick). After this you can jump back over them to flip their inputs for a wakeup attack. You can do B+3 or D+4 for low pokes, you could grab them if they stand and block, or EN Roll which seems to catch people sleeping sometimes. Lastly, doing this tends to make people want to wakeup attack. So after telekicking past them, you might bait a wakeup that can be blocked and punished with more combos. (ie: Cage shadow kick or Ermac TK lift)

You can do a similar tactic after ending certain combos with roll. (ex: roll, U4, B14, 112, roll) You will be at sweep distance from the grounded opponent, and you can roll back over them on the ground to flip inputs and possibly score a quick dash in throw or whatever. It's worked for me sometimes, but I try not to do it too much.

Rickyraws

This mean you don't like me?
Anyone got any tips as to IAS ing with the regular controller's dpad? I can instant air fire ball with lui kang no problem, but not consistently enough with mileena to use it strategically.

I do everything else with the directional pad, except iAS. I do that with the analog instead and it works much better for me. I can do it on the dpad, but its not as low to the ground or as consistent. (Same with Liu Kang)

Velvet Sack

A Dream and a Dream
So messing around with different options for otg input-reversal, I found the first thing I've noticed that's stance-specific. If you b4 sweep in open stance, Mileena can dash over the top of the opponent before they get up, but in closed stance she can't. Nothing big, as b3 switches her stance before b4, and I'm not sure how much I'd use this in actual matches aside from against a few characters.

Is there anything else that's stance-specific?

Anyone got any tips as to IAS ing with the regular controller's dpad? I can instant air fire ball with lui kang no problem, but not consistently enough with mileena to use it strategically.
On PS3, I put the tip of my thumb in the center of the directional buttons and rock the whole dpad diagnally up-back to down-forward. Do this quickly and practice timing the 1 press. There's a distinct feel to both thumbs pressing down at the same time. You'll see.

In practice mode, the display will look something like:

^
<
v
>
[ ] (1)

I think D+4 switches stances on its own, not B+3. And I think you can dash over them with either stance as long as the opponent doesn't tech roll. If they tech you can't flip their inputs at all.

EDIT: What about telekick after X-ray? I think if timed right, you can land right in front of them if they tech, or behind them if they don't.

Of course, if they use a fast wakeup attack you're screwed, but some characters like Kitana or Kung Lao can't reach that far with their wakeups anyway, so they may be less likely to try. It's an idea, at least.

Velvet Sack

A Dream and a Dream
I think D+4 switches stances on its own, not B+3. And I think you can dash over them with either stance as long as the opponent doesn't tech roll. If they tech you can't flip their inputs at all.
I'm talking about the sweep, and I just mean that you start in open/closed stance. Try it out. Like I said, I'm not even sure this is useful at all, just the first thing I've noticed with her where stance has any effect.

Nah, man... that move would be stupid broken if it did. You'd have an unreactable low that leads to about 30%. Which would then be mixed up with her EN roll that hits overhead and leads to even more. Plus now her U+4 would hit all the time giving you free 35% combos. It would be too much honestly.

I think she could use an armor move, like maybe EN Neck bite has armor to serve as her "get off me" move. She does have her low hitbox for that, so I don't know if it's absolutely needed. It would make EN Neckbite useful at least

cyke_out

Noob
There are alot of attacks that obviously hit low, but can be blocked standing in the game, nightwolf's f+3 is one of them, while Kenshi's and Kano's f+3 look exactly like Nightwolf's but they hit low.

Steez-

Noob
mileena is an annoying bitch to play against. fuck her
:salty: exactly why i play with her!

before i picked her up, i would always get frustrated playing against her (especially against a good mileena).

so one day, i decided to experiment with her in the lab. one thing's for sure, she's not a noob-friendly character. i think it's safe to say she has a high learning curve in order to be played at a high-level and/or effectively.

hence, "if you can't beat em (her), join em!" :p

Creepy00

Noob
:salty: exactly why i play with her!

before i picked her up, i would always get frustrated playing against her (especially against a good mileena).

so one day, i decided to experiment with her in the lab. one thing's for sure, she's not a noob-friendly character. i think it's safe to say she has a high learning curve in order to be played at a high-level and/or effectively.

hence, "if you can't beat em (her), join em!" :p
Uh, i wouldnt say she is a high learning curve, she is Mid just like the other mix up characters except Johnny cage. She has more potential than others(mixup characters) through. NoW, High level learning curve characters are Jade and shang tsung for example. Out of the bag she is slight begginer friendly.

Dash in B3 roll is a great OTG strategy, but be mindful first of your opponent's wakeups. Punish their wakeups a few times first so that they are scared to use them. Things like blocking KL's wakeup spin and punishing with roll, U4, b1, 4, dash 1, 1, 2 bite are good examples. Do that more than once and KL will no longer try to wakeup spin on you. this leaves you with the dash in U4 starter if he turtles, or a b3 roll starter if he blocks high. If you mess up hit confirming the B3 and your opponent blocks it, use EX roll instead of regular. If you were close enough when the B3 was blocked, the EX roll is unblockable.

Also keep in mind that some wakeups cannot be punished by rolling on block.

I use the D-pad for iAS just fine. I found it's easiest to press B+U, then instantly D + F 1. In addition to delaying Air sai rather than using instant, I use it often on blocked telekicks. Characters such as raiden (amonsgst many others) can punish a blocked telekick with a full combo. If you use the air sai to delay yourself in the air, their strings will either miss you completely, or cause the 2nd / 3rd hit in their strings to wiff. Doing this usually will get you out of a full punish and leave you eating an uppercut instead. If your opponent just waits a little bit, sure, full punish, but this is still useful.