What's new

Strategy Was it good for you? - Mileena general discussion

anyone know why NRS capped mileena's damage output so damn low? it seems its impossible to get to 40% damage on any of her meterless combos . its not like her specials are all that great since they're unsafe as hell on block and her speed and mix-up game is ok at best. i'd gladly keep her low damage output if they at least patch her roll so it hits low and forces opponents to crouch block to stop it for how vulnerable it leaves her on block. im still going to stick with her as my main but its pretty annoying how other characters can bust out combos that require less skill/timing than mileena's and yet get so much more damage out of em

Her specials are great imo, atleast sai and the roll are extremely good, her mix-up game is one of the better in mk9 and she has d+4 to use whenever she feels like. To me she's the strongest female character in this game.
Her damage is ok, between 30~40% from any hit without using meter, I don't see why people are complaining about this, Subzero is really good but he also doesn't deal more than 30% a combo.
Some characters deal ridiculous damage from a random hit, but Mileena still deals avarage damage compared to the rest of the cast, and getting several combos in a row with her is easy compared to other characters.

Sanox

Noob
did not know where to post it or if it is common knowledge but while messing around with mileena in training mode i noticed that her leaping neckbite does different dmg depending on if a sai is already stuck in your opponent or if not. without a sai leaping neckbite does 7% with a sai stuck in the enemy it does 11%. only works when the sai is between the shoulders of the enemy though (b+2).

i absolutely Hate how mileenas role and be blocked high why can you stand and block when i'm clearly attacking your legs. plus her damage is terrible so the least they can do is make the roll hit low or something.

BOSSETTE

Noob
Mileena is very fast and can be tricky, but for me it's harder to come up with combos for her without being repetitive.

Jer

I'm a literal Sloth
Mileena's mixups are insane with her sweep and that amazing overhead. I know what you mean about repetition on combos, but whatever works right?

And yes, i think that they should change it so you can't block the roll high, that's a little much.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
I made a video showing off the basics of Mileena

If you are new to the character I hope it will help you!

AC1984

Kaballin!
Her sweep sucks because its very slow. The overhead kick also comes out slowly..But she is one hell of a character

Hey Evil Canadian

Very good video but I don't understand how you do the jumping sai so fast. Is it just practice? I mean, ones every 10 times I can get it to hit, but way too often I'm too slow and the sai goes over my opponents head.

Hey Evil Canadian

Very good video but I don't understand how you do the jumping sai so fast. Is it just practice? I mean, ones every 10 times I can get it to hit, but way too often I'm too slow and the sai goes over my opponents head.
are you using the input short cut? Up+Back, Forward + 1

also excellent video evil canadian!

After playing Mileena a bit more (online and offline) I've noticed a couple things about using her (Some of these may have been said already)

-Seems like her sweeps and her U+4 overhead, while slow, can still catch your opponent unaware if they're under enough pressure.

-Her damage is ok, maybe about average. (She gets up to 36% max with meterless combos, and up to 41% using 1 bar.) But she can combo off of almost anything most of which lead to about 30%.

- Zoning is not the best, but still good. (Would be better if her Teleport kick hit overhead)

- Ending combos with Leap (Not EN Leap) leaves opp. standing and either gives Mileena +1 advantage, or leaves both a neutral frames. Good thing to note is that her D+4 will reach them at that range should they like to block high afterwards. You can mix up with dash in and throw/U+4 if they block low. If they jump you have Air Sai to be safe, or if you feel like risking it you can use teleport kick>air sai for about 25% combo. The most important thing about ending combos with Leap, however, is that you won't be vulnerable to wakeup attacks at all.

-In my opinion her biggest weakness by far is her frames. Not only are her specials easily punished, but she has a lot of slow startup on normals. This makes most of her frame traps useless except to mix up with a throw.

I feel like Mileena is decent all-around, but that's it. In the right hands, I'm sure she can be a real force. But while she seems to do everything well, she doesn't really appear to excel at anything.

Helter Skelter

CHIPPINGxTRAPPINGxZONING
Couldn't be said any better. Jack of all trades master of none.
Actually if NRS made Ground Sais safe on block or even better +1/+2. That would make up for EVERY single string being 0 on block.

She could be a lot worse, though.

Oh yeah, definitely. I think she's a good character, just needs to have a bit of work put into her to make her shine. It is annoying that if you're trying to zone your opponent at a distance they can just duck to avoid everything. Roll/Telekick can be blocked on reaction from there and since telekick isn't overhead it can also be crouch blocked.

It's fine if you're already ahead on life and your opponent can't teleport, but if you're trying to make a comeback it seems like it really limits her options. I guess that's what EN Telekick is for

As far as ducking projectiles thats pretty common for most characters. The thing is you're still gaining meter while spamming so the burden is still on them to do something.

What do you guys think about ending combos with neckbite, what would be the advantages/disadvantages between that and just leaving them grounded?

Also as far as her normal strings go is there a consensus on whether 2,3,4 or 4,2 is superior? 1,1,2 can get ducked so it feels less useful than those to me.

As far as ducking projectiles thats pretty common for most characters. The thing is you're still gaining meter while spamming so the burden is still on them to do something.

What do you guys think about ending combos with neckbite, what would be the advantages/disadvantages between that and just leaving them grounded?
Yeah I guess that's true, didn't really think about the meter part. I'm always thinking chip, heh.
As far as ending combos with neckbite/leap, I mentioned that a few posts up. The big advantage is not having to worry about wakeup attacks. You have D+4 that will reach if they sit there. Air sai/telekick will beat jumping away.

Also as far as her normal strings go is there a consensus on whether 2,3,4 or 4,2 is superior? 1,1,2 can get ducked so it feels less useful than those to me.
agreed! Chucking sai's seems to build up quite a bit of meter...i've started to use them more to zone opponents or just pressure them when they get into the habit of just "waiting for me to do something". I've found i've got plenty of meter for some EX moves or breakers after trying this strat out.

gonna have to start using this 4,2 everybody keeps talking about...i usually find it's a little sllow....2,3,4 is awesome, espically off a jump in punch. Also agreed that 1,1,2 isn't as strong against players that know what they are doing

Yeah I guess that's true, didn't really think about the meter part. I'm always thinking chip, heh.
As far as ending combos with neckbite/leap, I mentioned that a few posts up. The big advantage is not having to worry about wakeup attacks. You have D+4 that will reach if they sit there. Air sai/telekick will beat jumping away.
i find the neckbite also gives you a little more time to think up your next move....is there anyway to land the sai in their back without taking a huge risk? i know if you otg the move it ends up in their front....you can usually catch them jumping away with it...but other than that i find it really slow to use in any type of mix up or punish situation

Sirop

Noob
Mileena is a very "hit-and-run, bait-and-tag" style. Constantly keep moving, roll and port if you see an opening. I don't bother with her X-Ray, I save the bar for enhanced attacks. Two things about her facebite lunge, as well. It grabs people out of the air, and it can be done immediately following a successful roll while the person is still tossed up in the air, to grab them out of the air straight from a roll to a bite.

Runefyst

Noob
Hey all! New to the site, but I've been playing MK since release, and Mileena's my fave. Looking to find some new tips & tricks for using her on here. I know some of her easier combos, but I'd like to get better. I'm hitting up a tourney at the end of the month. :D

Yo Runefyst. As for tips, there's some of that in the advanced mileena guide thread. But also, Tom Brady and silent1 have a stream they do where they answer questions, cover certain characters' basics and some setups on justin.tv. I think they're covereing Mil tomorrow night, but if you miss it they archive the vids. I don't know the actual link to the thread for this show, but the channel is on justin.tv/s1lent1. Just a suggestion if you didn't already know.

Runefyst

Noob
Thanks Zero! I did know about the show. I've been wondering when they're going to do Mileena though, so thanks for the heads up. I thought the show was on Sundays?