What's new

Strategy Was it good for you? - Mileena general discussion

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
How are you guys feeling about how Mileena has evolved as of late? With me, I'm beginning to feel that jiP,U+4/B+3 is almost useless against anyone who knows the matchup (getting full combo punished after a blocked jiP isn't very fun). I've been doing a lot more jip, 234 with her, then going into d3, 34, etc. 34 isn't exactly quick, but it beats lows and catches people off guard while allowing her to keep her pressure (or space herself) on hit and gain distance with the pushback on block.

I've also been scared of using Bite to end combos lately. It leaves Mileena and her opponent at neutral... and then what? Sure, she could block or be at a good distance to try for a D+4, but given how the game has progressed and the amount of armor characters have (Sonya could get full combo if you attempt to D+4, Kenshi sends you full screen or combos you, etc.), I've been using more uppercuts and Sais to end combos more than anything else. I also mixup the teleport to end combos, and if I have the meter to take a risk, maybe an enhanced Ball Roll afterwards, but that's all the crazier I get with her enders.

I just feel like you have to play Mileena three times more safe than you used to, and that was already a challenge in the first place. I find myself playing her a little more Kitana-esque, focusing on getting life lead and running away, annoying someone with D+4 when I get close to a corner, and using jiKxxAirSai (which IMO rivals Kitana's jiKxxAirFan) to catch people who are abusing low pokes to get in off guard.

How are you fellow Mileena mains adapting to the ever-evolving meta-game of MK9?

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
How are you guys feeling about how Mileena has evolved as of late? With me, I'm beginning to feel that jiP,U+4/B+3 is almost useless against anyone who knows the matchup (getting full combo punished after a blocked jiP isn't very fun). I've been doing a lot more jip, 234 with her, then going into d3, 34, etc. 34 isn't exactly quick, but it beats lows and catches people off guard while allowing her to keep her pressure (or space herself) on hit and gain distance with the pushback on block.

I've also been scared of using Bite to end combos lately. It leaves Mileena and her opponent at neutral... and then what? Sure, she could block or be at a good distance to try for a D+4, but given how the game has progressed and the amount of armor characters have (Sonya could get full combo if you attempt to D+4, Kenshi sends you full screen or combos you, etc.), I've been using more uppercuts and Sais to end combos more than anything else. I also mixup the teleport to end combos, and if I have the meter to take a risk, maybe an enhanced Ball Roll afterwards, but that's all the crazier I get with her enders.

I just feel like you have to play Mileena three times more safe than you used to, and that was already a challenge in the first place. I find myself playing her a little more Kitana-esque, focusing on getting life lead and running away, annoying someone with D+4 when I get close to a corner, and using jiKxxAirSai (which IMO rivals Kitana's jiKxxAirFan) to catch people who are abusing low pokes to get in off guard.

How are you fellow Mileena mains adapting to the ever-evolving meta-game of MK9?
I have always done so poorly against Mileena all through out MK9's history, so I'm not sure if my opinion is golden at this juncture, but I find that she can be VERY overwhelming. I sometimes feel that she controls the air AS GOOD as Kitana. I jump back and some sais catch me into a roll...I jump forward and that teleport catches me...I dunno...sometimes I just feel so crippled by her movement and low ass hit box. I'm going to upload a video of a set I played tonight with Emperor_Fear (such a classy guy, love him) who literally demolished my Kitana. I need you Mileena players to dissect what I do wrong against her. I have never played a Mileena like his...

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free

I've pretty much played Mileena the same way I play with Kitana, get the lead and back off.

When I rush with her, I still use u4 after jip, since it sets up a frame trap, but I NEVER do u4 after a jip against characters with armor/invulnerability, since that's asking to be hit. In those situations, I go for 23 and hit confirm into roll or just finish the string on block. I've kinda strayed away from 234 sai since you can take the hit of 4 and duck the sai, which leaves her open for a punish. 42 is my main footsie tool with Mileena. It's a easy hit confirm string and its neutral on block, so it's good to use. 42 backdash is pretty good to use to bait out pokes, jumps, etc, and punish accordingly. I also like to force my opponent to respect the 234 string. Once that happens, I can go for shenanigans like 23 -> air sai, 23 -> grab, 23 -> u4, etc.

I've ALWAYS wondered why Mileena players never used jk sai. This move is probably just as good as Kitana's JK fan or Kabal's Jk GB, maybe even better. If it's blocked, its +5, and even tho that's not much for Mileena, it's still a frame trap. If it hits, she gets a pretty decent combo.

Also, I've also noticed that Mileena players don't go for JIP after a telekick on hit. I'm not too sure if it's guaranteed, but after I hit with a tele, I never do sai and I just go for the JIP and it always worked for me. The only character that I've had trouble doing this to was Cyrax because I get hit by the AA grab, tho this happens online.

I almost never end combos with neckbite, unless it's against a character who I don't want to wake up. I usually end with uppercut, f2 sai, telekick sai or the tele whiff.

Once I get the life lead, I just sit back and zone. Once I notice that they are closing in, I use d4 to create some space and then go for the grab on hit. Any jump attempts the opponent does should result in a Roll or telekick from Mileena.

But that's pretty much how I use her and I've used her like this for a while now.

If I end a combo with bite, the first time I do it I try to use a U4 to see if my opponent recognizes that bite actually leaves you in range for a U4. Most of the time the immediate reaction is to turtle after a bite lands, which yields me another free combo into a bite, then i'll try it again. If they learn after the first time and block the U4, I'll dash forward and try catching them with a 4,2.

After that, I'll try ending a combo with a wiffed TK into 42 to see how it plays out. Or as you said ending with bite and ias a followup jump in attempt into a roll.

Mileena is really limited in terms of progressing any further than she has. I'm feeling like her maximum potential is already realized.

I almost never use the safe jump into a U4. jump ins into 4,2 pressure or jip 2, 3 ex roll are much better choices.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
If I end a combo with bite, the first time I do it I try to use a U4 to see if my opponent recognizes that bite actually leaves you in range for a U4. Most of the time the immediate reaction is to turtle after a bite lands, which yields me another free combo into a bite, then i'll try it again. If they learn after the first time and block the U4, I'll dash forward and try catching them with a 4,2.

After that, I'll try ending a combo with a wiffed TK into 42 to see how it plays out. Or as you said ending with bite and ias a followup jump in attempt into a roll.

Mileena is really limited in terms of progressing any further than she has. I'm feeling like her maximum potential is already realized.

I almost never use the safe jump into a U4. jump ins into 4,2 pressure or jip 2, 3 ex roll are much better choices.
Isn't bite neutral on hit? I mean maybe you will catch some players with an u4 after, but I think most high level players could easily walk back or even punish you with an aa jab. Just be carful with that.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Isn't bite neutral on hit? I mean maybe you will catch some players with an u4 after, but I think most high level players could easily walk back or even punish you with an aa jab. Just be carful with that.
Yea its neutral. I never thought about doing U4 after a bite, that's kinda suicidal lol.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Yea its neutral. I never thought about doing U4 after a bite, that's kinda suicidal lol.
I mean maybe if your opponent is like poking right after, and you could hop the poke. But even then there are safer, better option for that. Nothing wrong with a little bit of randomness though I guess.

I just toss it out after bite sometimes If I see that my opponent has a tendency to turtle after the bite lands. Yes most people will just walk backwards after a bite, but if they aren't doing that, there's no real harm in checking a turtler's fuzzy guarding.

CongoFury

Levi Cancel Sorcery
so ive been getting the itch to go back and play mileena again. and i guess i have a lot of reading to do. lol. bt anywhoot my question is has anybody ever managed to successfully land that combo that was preformed on her debut trailer leading up to the game release. The one she did on sector. ive been trying to attempt this combo but i cant land the ex tele after 4,2...has anybody had any luck trying to re-create this combo?
combo done at :46

Jer

I'm a literal Sloth
so ive been getting the itch to go back and play mileena again. and i guess i have a lot of reading to do. lol. bt anywhoot my question is has anybody ever managed to successfully land that combo that was preformed on her debut trailer leading up to the game release. The one she did on sector. ive been trying to attempt this combo but i cant land the ex tele after 4,2...has anybody had any luck trying to re-create this combo?
The combo at 00:46 isn't worth doing, it takes 3 bars.

CongoFury

Levi Cancel Sorcery
The combo at 00:46 isn't worth doing, it takes 3 bars.
i am aware of that....i was just wanting to learn it for fun. i know its a impractical combo and nobody would ever do it. I was just wondering if anybody had any luck taking a shot at it.

Jer

I'm a literal Sloth
i am aware of that....i was just wanting to learn it for fun. i know its a impractical combo and nobody would ever do it. I was just wondering if anybody had any luck taking a shot at it.
Oh hehe, I've literally never tried it, sorry :S

zaf

professor

Look at her xray lmao.

How do you guys punish Reptiles dash? I can't seem to be able to input roll fast enough, by the time I do it, he is already blocking.