What's new

Wake up attacks in injustice too easy = good or not?

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Ok, this is something i wanna know your toughts from.

Now that with the latest patch, wake up attacks are more easy to do, does this mean:
-Its more scrubfriendly, and also bad because you get less rewarded when you get a knockdown?
-Or do you think its part of the game, and wake up attacks can be baited and punished anyway...

edit: for me its the second, personally because i play with ares and has a bad wake up in general anyway

redeyes

Button Masher
they can be baited and punished if youre pressuring 100% of the time on every knockdown you deserve to get blown up.

trust me i used to pressure 100% on knockdown ):

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
They're literally better than before where we couldn't even wake up AT ALL.

BTW, i'm all for number 2.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Afraid a poll cannot be added to a thread once the thread has already been created.
Oh well its ok.

Anyway, Aris was talking about this in his latest podcast. He really didnt like how wakeup changed after the patch and basically it was too easy because everybody could use it.
But i think this is the correct way a wakeup should work. Its not because something is easy to do, that it doesnt take skill to use it right...

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
What mcnasty and magicman said.

I understand why they fixed it, it was a glitch and this is what they intended from the start, but man, playing the game for a month with very little invincible wakeups, it was so good.

I understand command grabs were a problem for a lot of characters, but I would have preferred wakeup attacks to give unthrowable frames or something, but fully invincible wakeup attacks are just silly.

LEGEND

YES!
both versions suck

before there were otg's and guaranteed resets/ infinites but it was also hard to wake up which was cool since not everyone could time the small window they had to do them, giving the better players an edge

but now everyone has a free way to wake up without any effort. Characters like Superman, DS and Flash don't even have to guess what type of attack you're going to pressure with when they get knocked down, they just get up for free if they see you advance on them.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
both versions suck

before there were otg's and guaranteed resets/ infinites but it was also hard to wake up which was cool since not everyone could time the small window they had to do them, giving the better players an edge

but now everyone has a free way to wake up without any effort. Characters like Superman, DS and Flash don't even have to guess what type of attack you're going to pressure with when they get knocked down, they just get up for free if they see you advance on them.
You mean you cant punish flash,superman and DS's wakeup? Explain...

ShadowBeatz

Dropper of Bass and Bombs
Anything that discourages "fuck it just throw it out there" is ultimately good for the game

Easier wake-ups mean people can't just rushdown without a second thought. You can still rushdown and apply pressure, but you have to be smart about it and THINK about what you're doing. (I just wish more aspects of this game required you to think.... :oops:)

LEGEND

YES!
You mean you cant punish flash,superman and DS's wakeup? Explain...
like if DS sees you dash up to him or try and cross up he just does DB3 and hes all good. All options covered

Flash takes more thought, but he has a wake-up for everything and gets up for free most of the time

Superman does DF2
-
if this game had MK9's movement then it wouldn't be a problem cause you could easily move in and out of the range of a wake-up without the grounded player being able to react to you. Thus making him have to commit to it, not just "oh you dashed in my face now eat a safe wake-up" or " you're outside my wake-up range so i'll just stand up"

most of the time its like the attack is at a disadvantage off of a knockdown now

Wakeups are good. They prevent you from just constantly facing a 50/50 mixup everytime you wake up, which is a huge plus when playing against characters with awesome 50/50 potential like Batgirl or Killer Frost. They can be read, baited, and punished. Killer Frost's is a little too hard to punish imo, but that's probably just salt. Her and WW are particularly dangerous on Wakeup since they get full combos off of them.

Oh well its ok.

Anyway, Aris was talking about this in his latest podcast. He really didnt like how wakeup changed after the patch and basically it was too easy because everybody could use it.
But i think this is the correct way a wakeup should work. Its not because something is easy to do, that it doesnt take skill to use it right...
I want to see Aris doing the old wake up's consistenly online. If the connection isn't great, you can forget about it.
He is also complaining about easier wake up's taking the skill away from the game, because the opponents don't have to worry about cross up' anymore. In that case, why not simply mixing it up and with that even more mind games get added to the game.

You think the opponent won't wake up? Cross him up with a jumping attack.
You think the opponent will wake up? Dash in, block and full combo punish.
You think the opponent will block? Throw.

I don't see his requested 50/50's anymore, I see 33.33%/33.33%/33.33%'s !!!

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
The wakeup window from before was fine, but as always ppl were not happy with it, so NRS gave them more room to breath on knockdowns now everyone just spam wakeups because the windown to perform them is larger and because they think Rushdown should think before throwing it out there, which leads to a lot of B3 punishes, back dash and whiff punish and shit. This just proves how fckd up ppl are when they're knocked down.

I'm just wondering, what's next? "ARMOR NOT GOOD, NEEDS MORE ABSORBING FRAMES!!"

I agree that doing the same wakeup attack on every knockdown is scrubby, but if thats what you get blown up by then youre an even bigger scrub lol

Most wakeups are fair.

Sami

Noob
No issue with wake-up attacks now actually working. Some of the attacks themselves are a little brain-dead, but the system itself is fine.