What's new

Guide - Venomous Venomous General Discussion Thread

So NJ1,2 does .50% Poison
2nd hit of f22 does .40% Poison
Everything else that can, does .30% Poison

Does anyone know exactly how the poison stacks? If you quickly connect 2 D4's you start doing .70% but if you wait a second to connect, you do .80%~.97%

I posted the basics of how the poison stacks in the general discussion thread a while ago, what happens is each standard ovi hit does 0.3% per tick for a total of 1.5% over 5 ticks (if the ticks are already going when you hit, that 1.5% will be distributed between the remaining ticks, thus seeming like more damage than it really is). Each successive standard ovi hit during the 5 seconds (it is exactly 5 seconds, 1 per tick) will add another 1.5% to the total DOT. Additionally, each extra poison tick gains some extra damage based on how many hits you have stacked already, such that hit number 2 will actually add 2%, hit 3 will add 2.5% and so on. The numbers change a little if you use njp or the second hit of f22, however, and if you mix them then they start to add up differently to how you'd expect, so clearly the formula isn't quite so simple.

Basically, each hit adds the standard poison damage of that hit plus a bonus multiplied by the number of poison hits currently in the counter, the remaining poison damage is distributed between the remaining ticks and when the 5 ticks are over, the damage and number of poison hits both reset to zero.

Idk if people know this yet but b12 stuffs lots of wake ups. You're still able to block if they delay wake up. Not sure if you recover quick enough to actually continue pressuring. For the wake ups that it doesn't stuff, canceling meaty d3's and d4's into mb ovipositor at max range lets you low profile then armor through lots of stuff but it's not safe. Use that with caution. It actually works with most meatys that are quickly cancelable into super armor. Seems like if the super armor is buffered it comes out even if you're armored move hasn't started the animation. Idk I have to test more things. Also poison doesn't stack through armor, that's lame.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
do we have any footage of venomous in tournament
Look in the tournament footage thread, stickied in the character forums.

I know for a fact there is footage of me and Honeybee, and KH Mattix. Not sure if we have anymore venom footage.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
After playing with her for a few weeks, my conclusion is that Venom stacking combos are not the right direction. Unless the only venom attacks are at the end. Combos should either end in restand, or applying Venom at the end with Ovi Charge. If you are altering combos, and losing damage, just to stack venom throughout, you´re only leaving yourself with maybe a second or two at most to capitalize on it. Tag it at the very end. The venom isnt for "adding damage" to combos. You should be taking heavy damage, poisoning at the end, and then when you run in and D4 F22 throw, the venom starts working it´s magic.

Zoidberg747

So im putting together a guide for this variation and was wondering what you guys think should go in it. My ideas:

Movelist info
Best Tools
BNBs(Damage and Restand)
Tactics and such

If you can think of anything else that might be good please let me know.

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
Hey guys I've just been browsing through the Dvorah forums the last couple days and I was wondering is there a specific explanation of what Venomous grants you? Are there stacks that build up and different strengths for different specials and normals/strings that give you varying amounts of stacks and then they get released? Or is it really just damage over time whenever they block or get hit and certain moves do varying amounts? Basically I'm just trying to get an idea on how complex this variation is, if at all. Thanks in advance!

Zoidberg747

Hey guys I've just been browsing through the Dvorah forums the last couple days and I was wondering is there a specific explanation of what Venomous grants you? Are there stacks that build up and different strengths for different specials and normals/strings that give you varying amounts of stacks and then they get released? Or is it really just damage over time whenever they block or get hit and certain moves do varying amounts? Basically I'm just trying to get an idea on how complex this variation is, if at all. Thanks in advance!
The way venom works is after a venom attack(any attack using the big red limbs) connects it gives you some damage over time. The more attacks you connect in a condensed time frame the more the DoT is. So if you end up doing a 30% combo if you have venom stacked all the way there will be about 7-8% DoT.

Other than that the main thing is the spray. It restands meaning she never has to worry about wakeups and can restand off of an anti air or anything similar. It also builds meter and does a ton of chip, the two areas where it beats SQ. It also makes her wakeup attack a little more deadly because it does the DoT as well.

The biggest problem is the spray is punishable and the only two benefits of the variation(meter building and chip) come from a blocked bug spray. It's good against people who don't know the MU but overall it really does pale in comparison to Swarm Queen, and trying to fight people who know the MU is an uphill battle.

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
The way venom works is after a venom attack(any attack using the big red limbs) connects it gives you some damage over time. The more attacks you connect in a condensed time frame the more the DoT is. So if you end up doing a 30% combo if you have venom stacked all the way there will be about 7-8% DoT.

Other than that the main thing is the spray. It restands meaning she never has to worry about wakeups and can restand off of an anti air or anything similar. It also builds meter and does a ton of chip, the two areas where it beats SQ. It also makes her wakeup attack a little more deadly because it does the DoT as well.

The biggest problem is the spray is punishable and the only two benefits of the variation(meter building and chip) come from a blocked bug spray. It's good against people who don't know the MU but overall it really does pale in comparison to Swarm Queen, and trying to fight people who know the MU is an uphill battle.
Thank you, this is a perfect explanation.

So im putting together a guide for this variation and was wondering what you guys think should go in it. My ideas:

Movelist info
Best Tools
BNBs(Damage and Restand)
Tactics and such

This variation is pretty straight forward. It's very footsie based. Do all your poking and counter poking at max distance when possible with all venomous limbs. Max distance spray is hard to punish. Ex spray is pretty safe. Constantly mix up your approach with b1 d4

Movelist info
Best Tools
BNBs(Damage and Restand)
Tactics and such

This variation is pretty straight forward. It's very footsie based. Do all your poking and counter poking at max distance when possible with all venomous limbs. Max distance spray is hard to punish. Ex spray is pretty safe. Constantly mix up your approach with b1, d4, f22, f3 and throws. Make as much of the damage you do with her unbreakable through spray combos and poison. Spray does a lot of chip damage and builds about 75% of a bar on block. Keep them standing to avoid wake ups. When you do go for knock downs a couple of ways to combat wake ups are: 1. meaty d4>mb db4 beats lots of wake ups but is unsafe, only use that when your making a hard read. It also doesn't do much damage. 2. Meaty B12 stuffs lots of wake ups and is pretty safe. Canceling into air throw without confirming it makes it unsafe though. 3. On a knockdown running up to the opponent and u3ing over their body will avoid and even reverse lots of wake ups, especially in the corner. Cancel the u3 and go for max damage when possible. I also have a swarm queen hard to blockable set up that can beat wake ups. It costs a meter in venomous though. It's 212>mb db1> nj2> b21>db2 it's a hard knock down set up that lets you set up a meaty puddle. Then go for an over head if the puddle didn't connect. Works better in swarm without meter.

Other things to know.
You will almost always have a lot of meter in this variation so don't be stingy with it. I've used 3 X-rays before in one tournament match. Learn match ups, some characters can't punish regular spray on block. There's a hole in f22 > spray on block. Teleporters can take advantage of that. If you sniff out a teleport just finish the string to check it with f224. The throws in this game are broken so take advantage of that. With DoT D'Vorah technically has the most damaging throw in the game. Same goes for the her amazing d2, most damaging and probably the best in the game period, so don't let people jump at you. She even has a low profile on start up so use that. Get max damage out of the far f42 gimmick when you use it. You can connect lots of things after it, d1>f44>db4, b12> d1+3, 21u3>d1+3.

All I got for now. Hope it helped.

Can anybody confirm how bad the F4,4 nerf hurts Venomous combos? I'm on PC and probably won't have the patch any time soon. Thanks

-Deadman-

Getting better with age
Can anybody confirm how bad the F4,4 nerf hurts Venomous combos? I'm on PC and probably won't have the patch any time soon. Thanks
I don't think its going to matter much. I don't find myself using f4,4 all too often in fights anyway outside of the corner. But I could just be bad *shrug*

Its 2%. At best a combo might go for 2 reps at a total loss of 4%. Its not really major. At best it will cut down on some low level f44 spamming. At actual tournament level play where people don't just throw f44 out for the hell of it, I doubt anyone will notice.

Tweedy

Noob
Damn this thread is dead huh?

I played this variation for 3-4 days and ended up dropping it. It's the worst of the 3 imo despite having good armor.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
@Second Saint is probably the only one out there that has really labed the crap out of V since the patch and he struggles to say nice things about her.

I'm really into her but I'm not good enough to have deep thoughts and whatnot which is part of why I can use her over the others.

She is more accessible for us low skilled types. Back when SQ was good I switched to V because of it and bopped a few SQ just using her because she was supposed to be better, but I don't think I've seen another d'vorah in months.

I'm going to play her forever, but for some one at your level I don't think she has that much to offer.

Last edited: