What's new

Guide - Venomous Venomous General Discussion Thread

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
I'm picking up D'vorah and Venomous actually intrigues me the most. Is this an unpopular variation amongst D'vorah players?
Everyone is just jumping on Swarm Queen because she gets more combos and her damage looks bigger. I feel like getting an easy unbreakable 8%, possibly more, is something that shouldn't be ignored. Your pokes build up damage too

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
I've got a friend who likes venomous for some reason.
Could one of you sell the venomous variation to me?

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
So the highest 1 meter I've found says it hits for 30%. "BUT OH SHIT MY HEALTH IS STILL FALLING!" That's because I poisoned your ass, bitch. There's another 8% you can't do shit about. "Aha, he starts his combos with highs and overheads, I block his shit". Yeah, my low poke is putting the toxin in your boxen, there's another 6%. "Ok, I know you're shenanigans now come on at me, bro" IMMA THROW YOU ASS FOR MORE POISON!

Before the other guy know it, he's gone. I think this variation would be perfect if you stacked venom on block, she would be a fucking killer. The mind games would be soooooo real

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
So the highest 1 meter I've found says it hits for 30%. "BUT OH SHIT MY HEALTH IS STILL FALLING!" That's because I poisoned your ass, bitch. There's another 8% you can't do shit about. "Aha, he starts his combos with highs and overheads, I block his shit". Yeah, my low poke is putting the toxin in your boxen, there's another 6%. "Ok, I know you're shenanigans now come on at me, bro" IMMA THROW YOU ASS FOR MORE POISON!

Before the other guy know it, he's gone. I think this variation would be perfect if you stacked venom on block, she would be a fucking killer. The mind games would be soooooo real
It is a cool idea, but I want it to have the same level of usability and functionality-- don't be like pre-patch Ronin Takeda.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I've got a friend who likes venomous for some reason.
Could one of you sell the venomous variation to me?
You get crazy chip damage, crazy mixups, added damage over time on any combo ending in db4, etc.

Plus even though swarm queen gets great meterless damage, Venomous gets more damage with a bar when you factor in the venom ticks:
212 Db1 njp f34 11 db4- 29%(SQ)
212 EXdb1 njp f34 11 db4- 38%(VEN)

And considering a fully extended df1 gives more than half a bar of meter, she shouldnt have any problem having the bar for a BnB.

P.S anyone know any decent combos for the venom variation? I tried looking through the combo thread but that shit was a mess.

I have been pouring time into Venomous an i'm loving it. I zone with D4, F2,2 D3, and F1,1 an it hurts so much. D4 walk d4 walk d4 Walk f2,2qcb+4 destroys their health bar. I don't really mind having low damage combos when my pokes cause havoc. You can literally hit and run. D4 walk back. Make them come to you. It works so well.

alkipot

Purse first, ass last.
This is personally my favorite variation, despite people here saying the others are better. Poke, poke, poke! Just walk them to the corner and get ready to go nuts.

after playing this game for a bit now, i found that i like to poke a lot with d'vorah. so its only natural for me to look into this variation.

anyway im gonna quote BlankOctober from the combo thread so we can have some videos in here to start (click at the bottom of quote to expand)

Here's a couple things I did this morning:

First video is a 37% one bar combo with poison ticks, and the second is a small, but poison focused one bar combo. I love Venomous. Underrated, yet very useful.

G4S MinotaurLord

Wielder of Toxins
Also a Venomous D'Vorah player here. I had some really good combos the other day but I forgot to record them and I was pretty inebriated lol. When I have time to hit the lab again I'll update with good tech - don't sleep on this variation, it's absurdly useful.

edit: holy shit, that combo that was just posted was literally one of them haha

G4S MinotaurLord

Wielder of Toxins
ok, now that I'm sober and in the lab:

new 1 meter b'nb: 212 EXdb1, njp, forward jp, slight run cancel, f22 db4 does like INSANE venom damage and pretty good normal damage. (and looks swag). Both jump punches are done with 2.

meterless useful tech?: 11b2, f44 df1 does 24%ish with a standing reset when you hold the last move. Got to run to work, will do more later. Let's bust this hotness wide open and show how powerful Venomous can be.

ok, now that I'm sober and in the lab:

new 1 meter b'nb: 212 EXdb1, njp, forward jp, slight run cancel, f22 db4 does like INSANE venom damage and pretty good normal damage. (and looks swag). Both jump punches are done with 2.

meterless useful tech?: 11b2, f44 df1 does 24%ish with a standing reset when you hold the last move. Got to run to work, will do more later. Let's bust this hotness wide open and show how powerful Venomous can be.
If your gonna be in venomous then you wanna use her venom to full affect so maybe replace f4,4 with F2,2 something like 1,1b2 1 f2,2 qcb4 (5 ticks at 1.30) or even 1,1b2 f4,4 d3xxqcb4 (5 ticks at .70). 1,1,b2 f4,4 f1,1,2xxqcb4 (5x.30)

CuteTricks

Some call me Mr. Taxi
Also, let's not forget that most of the venom stacks in combos occur at the END of the combo. That means you have a whole 3-4ish seconds to hit them with any other move that applies venom, so you can consider it a pretty big damage buff for that period of time after the combo. Hit them with 2 more d+4's, or a f+2,2 into df+1* and I don't know math, but my instincts tell me it all equates to pain.

Also, although venom has huge potential, her df+1 in combos FORCES your opponent to deal with it from standing(at frame disadvantage iirc?). So that's not something we should so easily replace with venom combos. it's just another option imo.(plus Idk if you can breaker her df+1, incase they just happened to get 2 bars right as they are about to die from db+4. IDK, possible options.)

Last edited:
Also, let's not forget that most of the venom stacks in combos occur at the END of the combo. That means you have a whole 3-4ish seconds to hit them with any other move that applies venom, so you can consider it a pretty big damage buff for that period of time after the combo. Hit them with 2 more d+4's, or a f+2,2 into df+1* and I don't know math, but my instincts tell me it all equates to pain.

Also, although venom has huge potential, her df+1 in combos FORCES your opponent to deal with it from standing(at frame disadvantage iirc?). So that's not something we should so easily replace with venom combos. it's just another option imo.(plus Idk if you can breaker her df+1, incase they just happened to get 2 bars right as they are about to die from db+4. IDK, possible options.)
The reason i suggest doing the venom combos rather then forcing a opponent into a mix up is simply because armor moves in this game. "Hey I got 1 bar!" EX force grab from ermac or something. Do you really wanna risk getting hit with a 30% combo? Where if you do venom combos an pokes they will see their health drain an be FORCED to come to you an play somewhat impatient. I notice when i play with fiends and i pick her they start to panic when they get about half health because i can abuse D4 f22 and d3. Zone them out. Its insane

CuteTricks

Some call me Mr. Taxi
I'm not saying your method is invalid, I'm saying that completely writing off the mixup possibility is rather close minded.

When you force someone into a mixup, I consider blocking and movement as part of the mixup options. I'm fairly knew to MK, but I'm not new to fighting games. I don't know about Ermac, or other characters, but I do know that if you notice such things, than you can also just as easily adapt to it by baiting them into whatever they were using to snuff out your options, and then hurting them for even thinking about it. If you're feeling confident with your ability in your reads through instincts, mind games, and observations, then you can get great reward from being in their face on wake up.

And also, everytime I get combo'd, I'm damn sure as hell noting that. So if a scorpion players tries to teleport on wakeup, or an ermac player EX whatevers, I'm taking note and I'm going to attempt to use it against him in the future. Your health bar is information.

IDK I see your point, if you have a huge life lead, that's great, but the point of being offensive, imo, is to force someone else into a mistake.

Also, I like to imagine ermacs EX lift is punishable, but even if its not. You're in their grill, forcing them to consider that option of "if I do this move, I may potentially waste a bar and get hurt/be at bad frames/etc."

If you just run away, they don't have to deal with that.

Last edited:

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled

How are you setting up df1 in combos? The start up is insane so if you can cancel into it during strings there is a gap in which your opponent can punish you, tech roll or back dash out of it. Doing it point blank is highly punishable. I seriously don't know how to set this up, this is why I am asking. I have been sitting in training mode all day trying to find a use for this move.

CuteTricks

Some call me Mr. Taxi
Well f+2,2 df+1* is a combo.
in the corner you can do f+4,4 f+4,4 df+1* for 31 percent
Also b+1, df+1 combos, but the damage isn't so good.

Pretty much if you go for df+1 combos, you're likely to be sacrificing damage for the standing reset. But at least you don't have to burn meter like you would for a mb throw.

P.S. This one gains much satisfaction from chipping someone to death with df+1 hold

Last edited:

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
Well f+2,2 df+1* is a combo.
in the corner you can do f+4,4 f+4,4 df+1* for 31 percent
Also b+1, df+1 combos, but the damage isn't so good.

Pretty much if you go for df+1 combos, you're likely to be sacrificing damage for the standing reset. But at least you don't have to burn meter like you would for a mb throw.

P.S. This one gains much satisfaction from chipping someone to death with df+1 hold
Thanks for clearing that up.

I guess I am having trouble reading the frame data in this game. I don't get how you can combo into a move that has more startup than you have in hit and cancel advantage. Is the frame data wrong or am I reading it wrong.