What's new

General/Other - Reptile Variation thoughts.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
They should make to to where his projectiles are invisible as well and that getting hit doesn't take the invisibility away at least for the ex version. Theeeen it'd be pretty damn useful. Imagine laying out invisible ex spit as well as stoping invisible ex force balls. Also dealing with the different speeds would be a pain

JDM

Noob
Invisibility has to be given more. More damage, more something. Right now there's almost no reason to pick it over the other two variations unless you like gimmicks.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
If his variations turn out to be bad, there is a chance they could buff them like make reptile immune to projectiles during invisibility.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
How about in addition to making him invisible it makes his specials like forceball and acid spot invisible too. I think that would add a layer of strategy to his game plan. Not only that how about his opponent not auto-facing towards his direction. That should make his deception variation worthwhile.
In that case, if the projectiles are going to be invisible, the sound effects should remain the same so people could be aware that a projectile has been fired. And about the not autofacing thing, the camera should move as always to give the opponent a hint, although I think it could be a little too much tbh.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
He did. Standing 2 was great. It's vertical hit box was insane.
Dude that was not a good aa.. It did have a good hit box but it was too slow (11frames) that's too slow for an aa that doesn't even lower your hitbox..
Sonya jc and jaxs 1 were great. So were kl and lius 2

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
Why are people in here acting like they've never seen invisibility before? It was nearly useless for Reptile in MK9 and it was nearly useless for Ares in Injustice.

"Yeah well bro I don't think you understand how COMPLETE invisibility can alter the meta," uhh well yeah I do, because 1) again, Ares and Reptile both had COMPLETE invisibility in the last 2 games and 2) I have a brain.

Please stop acting like the meta of NRS games is this massive complicated thing because really it's not.

orochiDragon

PSN OROCHI-dragon / Archangel-44
Why are people in here acting like they've never seen invisibility before? It was nearly useless for Reptile in MK9 and it was nearly useless for Ares in Injustice.

"Yeah well bro I don't think you understand how COMPLETE invisibility can alter the meta," uhh well yeah I do, because 1) again, Ares and Reptile both had COMPLETE invisibility in the last 2 games and 2) I have a brain.

Please stop acting like the meta of NRS games is this massive complicated thing because really it's not.
Have you ever played a good Ares! ? Invisible quick rises, frame trap 50/50's, and thats not even the dirty corner stuff. But I bet u would block it on reaction :rolleyes:.

Andromeda

I am Bard
I think Nimble and Noxious are going to be the only variations I want to play the most of. I thought it was really cool of them to add an area of effect on him that lasts the entire round, and even giving it more of a damage when enhanced. Think that is probably one of the best things they could give him for what kind of character that he is.

And I also think that new ability of his in Nimble would definitely be a pain in the ass towards some whenever anyone is against some really decent Reptile players.

I don't really get the hate towards the invisibility move, I never had an issue with it.

speaking of Reptile's aa in mk9...about 6-7 months ago I switched to using standing 1 instead of standing 2 for jump in aa's. You can catch them a lot lower without fear of having the forceball connect. I know the hit box is bigger on 2 but I've had much more success getting full combos out of standing 1 on reaction.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
If he can go completely invisible with MB, the variation will be fine, imo. Full invisibility has been OP since UMK3, and there's not even high/lows in that. But you can't really call a variation useless without testing it first, you may be right but there's lack of supporting evidence and experience right now.

Not discouraging discussion, but this thread does seem like a plea to NRS, that was my impression at least.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
If he can go completely invisible with MB, the variation will be fine, imo. Full invisibility has been OP since UMK3, and there's not even high/lows in that.
Tbh even with MB it looked very damn slow on stream...

orochiDragon

PSN OROCHI-dragon / Archangel-44
Tbh even with MB it looked very damn slow on stream...
That's the only thing that im worried about. If the move itself has great frame data, we might find ourselves with a very interesting variation ( mix up potential is huge). If not, we could be looking at a very large bill.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Reptile has a low and an overhead, he has that sweep that looks like maybe it could get at least a little damage, and the overhead lunge thing. Could stagger block strings into either of them when invisible I guess, at least thats something. Perhaps the sweep is a high crush as well, and the overhead already looks like a low crush, so that in itself could make invisibility good because it will discourage people pressing buttons to escape, unless they have a true mid thats quick like a F3.

Invisible 5050s
Il meet you half way.

IF Reptile can activate his full invisibility during a combo, and somehow finish it with a MB Grab for invisible 50/50, then yes, I can see the use in that, although, that could take two bars.

Also, that is pending him having strings that start with High and or Low instead of everything being mid mid mid, or mid mid low, or mid mid overhead, and if it is worth using two or maybe three bars to get it started.

Maybe by the time the game ships, Reptiles MB invisibility will stay until he is knocked out of it, but I guess we will just have to wait to find out.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Il meet you half way.

IF Reptile can activate his full invisibility during a combo, and somehow finish it with a MB Grab for invisible 50/50, then yes, I can see the use in that, although, that could take two bars.

Also, that is pending him having strings that start with High and or Low instead of everything being mid mid mid, or mid mid low, or mid mid overhead, and if it is worth using two or maybe three bars to get it started.

Maybe by the time the game ships, Reptiles MB invisibility will stay until he is knocked out of it, but I guess we will just have to wait to find out.
The problem in using meter in combos with Reptile is that he is a meter fiend, at least he was in MK9 as well. Of course he built it fast, but that was when he built half a bar for doing a block string. Time will tell, if he could get meterless full invisibility during a combo it would great, but who knows if it's possible yet.

I know, she seems scrubby already.

One of the negatives about having char loyalists game testing MKX.

Seems like all her MK9 weaknesse are gone. Shes got a wake up attack, a parry, a reflector, controls the air with fans, can alter her jumps etc etc.
A tester does not have that influence on the game.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
They should make to to where his projectiles are invisible as well and that getting hit doesn't take the invisibility away at least for the ex version. Theeeen it'd be pretty damn useful. Imagine laying out invisible ex spit as well as stoping invisible ex force balls. Also dealing with the different speeds would be a pain
You must be high thinking it would be fair giving him invisible projectiles. You wouldn't be able to tell if it was a fast or slow ball, it would be silly.