What's new

Useless Moves of MKXL

Snibbor

Yarrrr Matey
Its actually useful. Since its meant to be used in combos those why it goes on hit
True, but it is much outclassed by the damage totem. The fact that it goes away on hit makes it nearly useless right away, since the other totems do not disappear on hit, making them the better choice 99% of the time.

One can do a 41% combo with kotal with the damage totem summoned in the middle of the combo. The same combo with the blood totem does 33%, and heals 6.32%. This does not equal the benefit you would receive from instead using the damage totem, and you would still run the risk after the combo of being hit and losing the healing benefit, because the totem sticks around for a couple seconds after the combo.

True, but it is much outclassed by the damage totem. The fact that it goes away on hit makes it nearly useless right away, since the other totems do not disappear on hit, making them the better choice 99% of the time.

One can do a 41% combo with kotal with the damage totem summoned in the middle of the combo. The same combo with the blood totem does 33%, and heals 6.32%. This does not equal the benefit you would receive from instead using the damage totem, and you would still run the risk after the combo of being hit and losing the healing benefit, because the totem sticks around for a couple seconds after the combo.
did you forget about the meter drain and meter gain? also its possible to do a blood offering and gain huge meter and the 10% health of blood offering back on top of the combo heal

Less damage but health gain, meter gain and meter drain when done right, sounds pretty good to me, i use it most of the time (in combos) if the damage is not gonna kill or if im at a disadvantage

SentientProgram

Unbreakable
Air Hammer shatters most armour moves in the corner. Necromancer's flick is trash.
You know. I'll agree with that. I tried testing a few scenarios in the corner. The air frost hammer hits twice, but the corner is all this is useful for. It doesnt work all the time because you have too get the timing just right in order to destroy an armored wake up

migosan

MK Philippines / Injustice Philippines
ermac's b2 is so useless that people forget it's there, 9999 startup frames, only hits mid and has shit range, mk9 b2 as unblockable is perfect, aside from that i think scorpion's 2nd ex chain? what's the use of that move other than a cool brutality?

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
Sonya:
121F4: this can come out on accident if you try the 121 BF4 ender and the 3rd hit whiffs
Non demo 112: this string is named "Mess Hall" and it is a mess itself.
22, 222, 224: there are no reason to use these strings at all. Even 2*13*4 is kinda ugly, it's only used to end combo, not in neutral because there are two gaps (NRS, only one gap per string please)
Non SF B2: unsafe and doesn't launch
F3: 21f high, wow. It's just for a cool brutality.
B3324, B33F4: unsafe, doesn't launch or lead to anything on hit

Last edited:

Tweedy

Noob
When people try to take a shot at Alien players and they don't even type the right notations.

Cryo's air hammer isn't useless, you can armor break.

Reactions: D7X

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
Kenshi ex parry up close. 0 difference from regular version.
Balanced Kenshi ex overhead slash, garbage, use it when you want to waste a bar.
Ex teleflurry has no purpose in the game.
He also has the "honor" of having multiple useless normals and strings.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
Doesn't it do good chip? And plus on block when you meter burn it? I'm legit asking btw lol
Hellsparks do more chip and are more + on block when you spend meter on them, plus you can convert them into full combo.

To be completely honest though, there might have been a tech that with some mad execution allowed Shinnok to jail EX amulet strike in d4.

Yo what is this gimmick infringement. Only I can use the letter Y in derivatives of this word.
Dayum, that was some mad mistake. Thanks for catching it for me. At least I got it right while answering the other guy. (it was legit I promise)

TheGangstaFace

Psn, Xbox, Twitter: TheGangstaFace
Hellsparks do more chip and are more + on block when you spend meter on them, plus you can convert them into full combo.

To be completely honest though, there might have been a tech that with some mad execution allowed Shinnok to jail EX amulet strike in d4.

Dayum, that was some mad mistake. Thanks for catching it for me. At least I got it right while answering the other guy. (it was legit I promise)
EX amulet strike jails into d4 in the corner

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Some of the moves in universal in all characters are useless, indeed, BUT... the Stance Switch (L2) is considered the most useless of all, and I pity the L2 for not being used most of the time, except of the X-Ray.

I would love to trade the Stance Switch to O + triangle, which would help with most of the kombos' inputs.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Pumped Up Ex Air Ground Pound. Even before the OTG nerf, that move was a 100% waste of time and meter.

ShadyHeart

Relationship with Sonya ended
Sonya has an air grab. Most people don't know it exists for good reason. I can't even remember if it's specific to CO sonya or not even though I've played her like a thousand times. The one and only use for it is to read an opponent jumping mid screen and hit them with a jip/jik > air grab combo but an anti-air combo is just better.

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
Sorry if this thread has been covered before, but I havent seen a discussion about this. I feel that every (special) move in the game should have some meaningful use. Why would the developer waste time on giving a character a move that cannot be used for anything? With that said, Id like to start the discussion about some of the most useless moves in MKXL

Edit: I also want to continue this conversation not only to address the useless moves we see in the game, but your guys opinion on how these useless moves can be made useful. Which will make for a more constructive thread.

Sub-Zero's air frost hammer

In what situation can this move possibly be used effectively? There is no midscreen combo situation that even makes this move possible to connect? Combo starter? forget it. Meter burn? not available. But it looks really cool.

Predator's healing move

Another move that looks really cool. But not even worth the effort. When does an extra 5% life even matter when this move renders this character in a state of no stamina and too much recovery time to a point that someone can just run full screen and slap that 5% back out of you.

You guys have any opinions on other useless moves that need serious help in the game?
All moves are useful at the right situation and right time. like Kenshi's B2, very punishable move and very slow, super hard to get out, but it evades low profiling moves and can punish some moves if timed well and used in the right situation.

but if i had to ask about a move it would have to be, Cassies up down kick (you know what i mean) it only has armor for like 3 frames then is vulnerable on way up and way down then after landing. but im sure it can be used in some situations.

MadeOfMetal

Acidic Alien's db2.
Useless. All it is, is a restand that's plus 1 and does almost no tick damage.
do you mean DB4? cuz DB2 is exo sting and does not restand?

Note: and acid blood is very usefull, that plus one gives you the advantage, if yoour fastest move is 7 frames and opponenets is 7 you beat them out and force a mixup situation. but if you are mashing slow moves that are far slower than there fastes move then of course you will get beat out and that move will feel useless.

not being angry wwondering if this is a joke?

cuz in no world can a restand be useless even if you don't have advantage even though you do, you still chop off a couple of there responses by taking away there knock down.

MadeOfMetal

Kotal blood totem, pretty useless considering that it goes away on block and does very little to help Kotal.

which totem are you talking about? because with F1 B2 you can get totem out in middle of combo. and i feel all 3 are very usefull in certain matchups, and the damage totem is always useful.

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
which totem are you talking about? because with F1 B2 you can get totem out in middle of combo. and i feel all 3 are very usefull in certain matchups, and the damage totem is always useful.
> Kotal blood totem

I think he's talking about Kotal's blood totem.

MadeOfMetal

> Kotal blood totem

I think he's talking about Kotal's blood totem.
Umm i think its good, i rather use the others, but it does nearly take 50% of there earned meter on blocked attacks and then rewards you anywhere from 10-20% health depending on how much you stole from them.

My bad i just didnt know the name of it cuz i never really looked at its name.

for some weird reason i thought he ment: [Kotal] [Blood God] (totems) not a name of the specific totem. lol

the.hamburglar

Alien keeps me up at night
do you mean DB4? cuz DB2 is exo sting and does not restand?

Note: and acid blood is very usefull, that plus one gives you the advantage, if yoour fastest move is 7 frames and opponenets is 7 you beat them out and force a mixup situation. but if you are mashing slow moves that are far slower than there fastes move then of course you will get beat out and that move will feel useless.

not being angry wwondering if this is a joke?

cuz in no world can a restand be useless even if you don't have advantage even though you do, you still chop off a couple of there responses by taking away there knock down.
:DOGE