What's new

Useless Moves of MKXL

SentientProgram

Unbreakable
Sorry if this thread has been covered before, but I havent seen a discussion about this. I feel that every (special) move in the game should have some meaningful use. Why would the developer waste time on giving a character a move that cannot be used for anything? With that said, Id like to start the discussion about some of the most useless moves in MKXL

Edit: I also want to continue this conversation not only to address the useless moves we see in the game, but your guys opinion on how these useless moves can be made useful. Which will make for a more constructive thread.

Sub-Zero's air frost hammer

In what situation can this move possibly be used effectively? There is no midscreen combo situation that even makes this move possible to connect? Combo starter? forget it. Meter burn? not available. But it looks really cool.

Predator's healing move

Another move that looks really cool. But not even worth the effort. When does an extra 5% life even matter when this move renders this character in a state of no stamina and too much recovery time to a point that someone can just run full screen and slap that 5% back out of you.

You guys have any opinions on other useless moves that need serious help in the game?

Last edited:

Syzoth

The last Saurian from Zaterra - Syzoth - Reptile
Reptile EX spit - acid puke. Costs a bar. Is punishable. Only does damage to an opponent standing on the puddle. Not if they are being juggled/thrown/knocked down.

There's more gimme a moment. Hard to think of them cause we don't use them lol

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Balanced Kenshi ex db4

Can honestly say I don't think I've intentionally used this move. Ever.

I'd add in ex bf3 as well, but iirc there is a very specific setup which causes a restand in the corner. Hardly useful considering 22 and the overall uselessness of the move, but it's still a use.

SentientProgram

Unbreakable
Having a thread about useless combo strings would be interesting, but probably better covered in new thread. Interesting!

Almost every character has a few strings that are useless, or rather not used much or at all simply because it doesnt help with a set up/ big combo/ mix-up/ 5050 or whatever

I hate advocating nerfs, but Im all for buffs. If a character in the game is OP, I personally think everyone else should get buffs too compensate, which is why I wanted to talk about these issues about useless moves that specifically need help or enhancement

@Syzoth: I know what you mean about reptile. I tried working with his acid spit. it is no where near effective against Alien acidic's moves. I mean they are both almost the same type of life draining moves and yet reptile's move cannot be used in a way that Aliens acid throw gets spammed

SentientProgram

Unbreakable
I added an additional piece to my starting piece. To make this a more productive conversation, please share what you think specifically should help improve the useless move you are addressing.

How to improve:

Sub-Zero's air frost hammer:
Give this move meter burn. With the players choice to use meter, this move should have armor and bounce the opponent up for a starter combo.

Allow this move to be a combo finisher. I agree that the regular version of this move should be a hard knock down, but why cant this move in some way shape or form be used to end a combo? If possible, why not just give this move a new animation so that it can be used to end a combo?

The biggest thing I dont undertand about this move is that its no better than a regular jump in move because all jump in moves coming down are already an overhead.

Predator's healing:
Make his move worth doing, by making it either heal over time or give more significant (10%+) health. Kotal Kahn, Jason healing does a waaaay better job

On top of that, the execution of this move is down down 2. This move sometimes comes out by accident when Im using down 2 with my mix-ups. At least make this move a down, down, down, 2 so that I dont use this move by accident.

myri

Time Warrior
Not that bad...
It's full combo punishable on block and -1 on hit. ON HIT. You have to meterburn to make it safe and if you meterburn and it hits it pushes the opponent to fullscreen, i.e. where killer leatherface can't do shit. There's no low from the stance so there's no 50/50. There is no use for this move. Oh yeah and the last hit of the meterburn version can be armoured for a full combo. This move is trash.

loogie

Noob
It's full combo punishable on block and -1 on hit. ON HIT. You have to meterburn to make it safe and if you meterburn and it hits it pushes the opponent to fullscreen, i.e. where killer leatherface can't do shit. There's no low from the stance so there's no 50/50. There is no use for this move. Oh yeah and the last hit of the meterburn version can be armoured for a full combo. This move is trash.
it's a very useful move in the Grandmaster matchup

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
Kotal blood totem, pretty useless considering that it goes away on block and does very little to help Kotal.

Inferno EX OH Minion, literally serves no purpose other than slightly more damage/chip.

KL teleport into 4, super slow teleport followup that can't be comboed into and can be low profiled super easy.

SylverRye

Official Loop Kang Main
Ive actually had cryos knock me down in the corner and air hammer to try and break my wakeup armor. Dunno if thats good though. Liu kang dualist healing is USELESS, literally no setup or anything makes that "healing" worth it. Also, takedas ex reflect is trash. It gives him what? 5% and takes a bar and hes stuck in a weird animation. Move is so useless ronin mains die without even thinking of using it.