What's new

Updated Character bios for MK1

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
I will not say it until it's officially confirmed but making Kuai Liang a Scorpion and throwing Hanzo Hasashi to the trash bin might be the worst idea of Cianciolo till date.

And it's huge, because he had a lot of terrible takes before.
I'm expecting it to be good but I'm concerned that this is going to be some comic book shit where they change characters back stories or replace a character(like when Dick Grayson was Batman) only for them to do some weird timeline/time travel/parallel universe thing to change it back to what the fans know and love with the next game.

I'm expecting Shang to be from the previous timeline somehow so I think the whole reboot thing will be a theme some of the characters are aware of. Hoping they just tell the best story but I think it will be hard to pull of something like no Hanzo

BlunderGod

The Kollector wants your lunch money
I'm expecting it to be good but I'm concerned that this is going to be some comic book shit where they change characters back stories or replace a character(like when Dick Grayson was Batman) only for them to do some weird timeline/time travel/parallel universe thing to change it back to what the fans know and love with the next game.
I mean, it's fairly obvious we won't stay with on this timeline forever. You can't turn an established, decade old IP on it's head like that and just have it be the new normal, especially now WB is currently trying to create a profitable series of movies based on the old lore.

NRS will probably return to something more along the lines of the Status Quo in even less than three games like they usually do.

Lord Snotty

Lord of the Bletherrealm.
The Great Kung Lao has always been depicted as a bald monk without the signature hat of present time's Kung Lao. Also the voice actor is the same from MK11 so its not Great Lao.
In this era, that is potentially how The Great Kung Lao might speak. In a rebooted timeline where Sub-Zero and Scorpion are brothers, Mileena is heir to the throne, and Raiden is a mortal farmer, this new Kung Lao might be The Great Lao, albeit a modern version. The previous version has been rewritten out of existence.

Lord Snotty

Lord of the Bletherrealm.
I think it's safe to consider that dialogue non-canon.
If Raiden remained with Liu to reshape the realms, he will have told him about Onaga, surely? I think fans are going for Onaga too readily. I think the threat is something Sub-Zero unleashes in the temple which may be Onaga, or something completely new.

What would you propose storyline wise since your creative acumen is next level?
Lmao any ideas I would have you would shit on out of spite because you’re salty that I called your idea to soul calibur 5/Street Fighter 3 the franchise bad.

You basically called them ball less for not shaking up the franchise and catering to a niche group of people and tried to imply that everyone who didn’t agree was “sheep”.

If I’m a sheep for wanting my favorite franchise to continue and be profitable then so be it, massive roster and story shakeups have been proven time and time again to be very unsuccessful, you cited MK3 but there’s a reason UMK3 and Trilogy came out fast af after it’s release.

Tdlr; Touch grass.

Ptehu

Prince of Edenia
I am giving Dom a lot of credit here
I don't want to rain on your parade, but please DON'T. Lower your expectations as much as you can.

I was quite positive about both MKX & MK11. MKX - i didn't know what to expect and was excited about some new faces to enter the roster and the story. For MK11 it was like - come on, it just can't be worse! But yet we received what we received.

Teenage drama. Family drama (even god-family drama), pointless time travels, weird decisions and complete bullshit with respect to power levels.

I don't trust this guy A SINGLE BIT in terms of story writing.

Kittelsen >>>>. And yes, I'm aware that comic wasn't flawless, but at least we got some of the plot aspects expanded one way or another and he also focused more on the depth of MK universe and less known characters.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
My issue with Dominic is he doesn't seem to care about MK's lore. Whereas Kittlesten tried to expand on it and give further insight into it, Dominic is only ever concerned with overwriting it or just tossing it out entirely in favor of his own new shit.

I love Mortal Kombat's story, but I've never taken it too seriously. But when Dom said that "The Titans are above the One Being" I legit felt like one of those hyper nerdy Star Wars fans. That shit offended me on a personal level lmao. One Being was one of the coolest concepts MK ever came up with, that all of reality are just the dreams of this unconscious entity, and in a single hand wave of a tweet it was completely shat on.

BlunderGod

The Kollector wants your lunch money
My issue with Dominic is he doesn't seem to care about MK's lore. Whereas Kittlesten tried to expand on it and give further insight into it, Dominic is only ever concerned with overwriting it or just tossing it out entirely in favor of his own new shit.

I mean, one is a professional writer and the other is a professional animator. Once you know this, you can definitely see why there's so many setpieces in Dom's stories. Shame that Kittelsen never became loremaster, he was the only writer alongside Tobias that had me interested in the fate of Hanzo who I usually despise as a character.

Teenage drama. Family drama (even god-family drama),
Oh, don't lie. You'd love to see God-Family Drama. It just wasn't the God-Family you'd want to see. :p

Cicada 5

Noob
Lmao any ideas I would have you would shit on out of spite because you’re salty that I called your idea to soul calibur 5/Street Fighter 3 the franchise bad.

You basically called them ball less for not shaking up the franchise and catering to a niche group of people and tried to imply that everyone who didn’t agree was “sheep”.

If I’m a sheep for wanting my favorite franchise to continue and be profitable then so be it, massive roster and story shakeups have been proven time and time again to be very unsuccessful, you cited MK3 but there’s a reason UMK3 and Trilogy came out fast af after it’s release.

Tdlr; Touch grass.
You only need to look at the sales of Deadly Alliance, Deception and X to know this isn't remotely true.

Ehhh not so much in MK9 imo.

Well maybe Shao Kahn sure but the sub-bosses don't fare so well.

Motaro dies in the background from Raiden and/or drowning in the Chicago River. After Liu Kang is done with him, Goro just hangs around not doing much and Kintaro's only real offer to the plot was by burning Kabal.
Fair i was mostly thinking Shao, but to memory they're kinda off screen implied to be wrecking shit? It's been awhile since I played MK9 story though.

Even if we just focus on Shao, I hope to god they do more of that. Make bad guys menacing again.

Cicada 5

Noob
Deadly alliance and X weren’t huge roster shake ups, 3 is probably the biggest roster shake up we’ve had.

I’ll give you deception though.
Deadly Alliance killed off the character who had the been the main protagonist for four games up to that point and X had most of the original heroes as villains

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
Deadly Alliance killed off the character who had the been the main protagonist for four games up to that point and X had most of the original heroes as villains
Well, but to be fair, X did still have those guys playable, and with their classic selves as their main costume, even when those versions were not canon.

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin

Tdlr; Touch grass.
Oh dont worry, MK1 will be greatly successful. It will also be a completely dead game by Summer of 2024 once Boon pulls support. Rinse and Repeat.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator

I love Mortal Kombat's story, but I've never taken it too seriously. But when Dom said that "The Titans are above the One Being" I legit felt like one of those hyper nerdy Star Wars fans. That shit offended me on a personal level lmao. One Being was one of the coolest concepts MK ever came up with, that all of reality are just the dreams of this unconscious entity, and in a single hand wave of a tweet it was completely shat on.
I am really iffy on the titans, like what did their inclusion add to the story? It was just to shoehorn a new character in. Aka Baldnika.

molambo

(X ౪ X )
Oh dont worry, MK1 will be greatly successful. It will also be a completely dead game by Summer of 2024 once Boon pulls support. Rinse and Repeat.
People never quit to play mk11 online so what do you mean with dead game? Even MKX has more then enough people online to get some matches going.
MK11 https://steamcharts.com/app/976310
MKX https://steamcharts.com/app/307780

Some of you guys have a attention span of a mayfly and need to be feed up constantly to keep rolling, meanwhile other people just enjoy what they got. I wonder how you ever played older titles where there where no updates at all.

Aka Baldnika.
You mean Billy Corgan.

On an aside, I like your new avatar pic.

... so what do you mean with dead game?
When people say a game is "dead," it's usually means they're being overly dramatic and they either 1) suck at the game and want to try and convince others it's trash to make themselves feel better, b) they don't like the game for any number of reasons, and want to convince others it's trash so they can feel better about their reasoning, c) they're looking for attention.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I hope Hanzo is in the story or even the roster as a human ninja. Bi Han dies, Kuai Liang somehow gives the power of Scorpion to Hanzo, and takes up Bi Han's mantle as Sub. People are bummed that Hanzo isn't Scorpion, I'm bummed that Kuai Liang isn't Sub!

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
"Tarkat disease" sounds like a horrible idea. I hate the idea that they're erased an entire race just to "be different"
Eh, if you want to be pessimistic.

To me it sounds like its akin to vampirism or lycanthropy. That's way more interesting to me than "some demons fucked some outworlders a long time ago".

Are we gonna pretend like that was some deep origin? I feel like now they can inject some depth into the Tarkatans. What are the rules to this affliction? Who were the individual tarkatans before infection? What does it take to survive the "lethal" aspect of the disease. I assume the tarkat survivors do band together in camps like lepers.

Can any race be be infected? Like can there be Shokan with Tarkat making some fucked up baraka-goro looking hybrids? idk this is the most interested im been in tarkatans in... ever.