What's new

Updated Character bios for MK1

Johnny 1 is a movie star who' spopular
Johnny 2 is a washed up actor who will probably die three times like in the old timeline.
That’s barely any difference I played all 3 Nrs games and Johnny being a popular actor or an actor whose popularity faded really isn’t that relevant

Lokheit

Noob
It would be VERY weird to make Kuai Liang Scorpion and erase Hanzo from existence...

For starters that would mean that Liu Kang deleted the cryomancers because Kuai Liang's ice powers were genetic heritage.

Kuai Liang's name is mentioned in one of the intro dialogues, we still don't know if it refers to Scorpion or a third brother.

My personal theory: Hanzo is an adopted brother (maybe even abducted as Bi Han and Kuai Liang were originally), raised with the Kuai Liang name but later revealed to being born Hanzo Hasashi. That would mean that Kuai Liang simply won't exist though... (Or maybe they were swapped at some point and Kuai Liang can return, like Hanzo discovers this, learns about the lost brother that could challenge Bi Han or something...).

Another possibility branching on that one is that Kenshi was raised by the yakuza and is the one who mentions Kuai Liang so maybe that's where the babies were swapped with the japanese Hanzo being sent to the Lin Kuei... This would also fuse Kenshi's alliance with Kuai Liang in the first timeline and with Hanzo in the second one.

It's very weird that they went in a direction that basically deleted the 2 most popular characters, I'm sure Scorpion fans want Hanzo and Kuai Liang fans don't want to play as Scorpion.

Last edited:

Lokheit

Noob
About Kitana and Mileena and the tarkatan virus... It's still very possible that this is simply what Kitana believes. In the original timeline they were sisters for thousands of years (her being newly born was a weird mk9 retcon, as it was supposed to keep the pre-first tournament lore) and it wasn't revealed until later that she was a clone.

So it's still possible that they make Kitana believe this is her older by seconds sister who has some sickness but in reality it's the original story.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
Raiden: What will become of us in your new era, Lord Liu Kang?
Liu Kang: Raiden, you're my boy, and you'll live a fulfilling life and be Champion of Earthrealm. I'll even give you lightning powers again.
Kung Lao: And what about me?
Liu Kang: You will toil away in the rice fields performing back-breaking labor and praying to me for a better life.

Damn, Liu Kang, okay.

Last edited:

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
The bad:

-So Raiden and Liu simply swap now? Lol bruh. Lazy writing there.
-Outworld/Edenia are the same place? Hopefully I'm misinterpreting this.
-Scorpion with a Scorpion tattoo is the ultimate cringe LOL.
-The "brothers who end up fighting" has already jumped the shark ages ago, and even worse they turned Sub/Scorp into brothers for this.

The good:

-I like the Tarkat disease spin. Adds more depth to the Mileena/Kitana backstory when Mileena eventually cracks, and likely will find acceptance with Baraka etc. Potentially can be one of the best parts of the story.
-Johnny Cage avoided some disaster rewrite. If anyone should be mostly the same it's him.
-Liu Kang seems like he'll be as in over his head as Raiden was. Some good full circle story telling there considering what he thought at times in older games.
-Kenshi probably has the best overall individual update we've seen, like Kitana/Mileena, the new depth is a major upgrade.
-Going back to a high-scale threat vs "new tournament" was the right choice by far. Minimizing the scale after MK11 would have felt like a downgrade.

/2Cents

Raiden: What will become of us in your new era, Lord Liu Kang?
Liu Kang: Raiden, you're my boy, and you'll live a fulfilling life and be Champion of Earthrealm. I'll even give you lightning powers again.
Kung Lao: And what about me?
Liu Kang: You will toil away in the rice fields performing back-breaking labor and praying to me for a better life.

Damn, Liu Kang, okay.
You'll also be arrogant again, dawg

hkriderz

Lin Kuei Scum, yellow robot enthusiast
-Going back to a high-scale threat vs "new tournament" was the right choice by far. Minimizing the scale after MK11 would have felt like a downgrade.
I’m sorry but do we really need more high scale threats after the last game? Liu Kang had to do dragon ball fusion dance with a god to defeat the literal arbiter of the timeline (and he didn’t even really beat her cause the timeline reset already and everyone was gone lol). I feel like MK is getting near the MCU’s ridiculousness at times where we’re gonna need a huge multiversal threat just so we could top the last one.

Personally I want to go back to the simpler stories but with tons of side plots for the other characters, like Mk9 but with twists we don't expect. I like when the universe feels like there’s a lot going on in it rather than have everyone united into one story of taking down the big bad. They can build up to a big threat later, like Onaga or something we know rather than make some lame shit up like Kronika

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
So, Kitana and Mileena are Outworlders? Could have sworn those stages were Edenia. Still could be of course. Hmm...

Also, I don't know how to feel about Sub and Scorpion being brothers. Is Scorpion still Hanzo? Does the Shirai Ryu still exist? I'm confused af.
Couldve used the rebooted time line to bring back the entire Shirai Ryu, but now theyre beyond besties. Who tf writing this garb?

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
Couldve used the rebooted time line to bring back the entire Shirai Ryu, but now theyre beyond besties. Who tf writing this garb?
I'd be alright with Scorpion and Sub Zero being brothers, if they didn't already immediately hate each other. What is the fucking point of this if you're just going to redo their original feud?

Johnny 1 is a movie star who' spopular
Johnny 2 is a washed up actor who will probably die three times like in the old timeline.
I doubt it.

If it wasn’t for the outside stuff with pesina Johnny more than likely would have only died in deception.

He’s also much more popular than he was during that era.

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
I'd be alright with Scorpion and Sub Zero being brothers, if they didn't already immediately hate each other. What is the fucking point of this if you're just going to redo their original feud?
I wish NRS had some balls like Midway. It just seems like reboot timeline after reboot timeline. Lets reboot it again in 4 yrs because our writers are fn garb. When I was 14 playing MK3 at a local donut shop I was in awe of the EarthRealm invasion storyline. Like what tf, we got a beat cop out defending earth. The overall storyline actually mattered, and you gave af about the direction of the franchise.

If NRs had big balls over big brows, they wouldve rebooted MK1 well before all these earthrealm twits existed. Shouldve started with the Great Kung Lao n Company fn hell.

Since they didnt, and they wish to shoehorn all the mainstays, can they at least show some semblance of creativity?

Raiden- Should zero lightning ability. Just make him a bad ass with a staff. Real simple heh?

Scorp - Shouldnt exist if it isnt Hanzo. Only reason he is a hell wraith is out of vengeance. Couldve easily created a new hell wraith with similar moveset with different motive.

Have two cryos subs with diff movesets if you want a brother story. Theres enough ice shit to go around.

Kitana- Make her the queen. Why is she fem simping on Mileena's ortho ass?

Cage-Doesnt exist yet

Etcetera. Just poor ass story telling with no thought in pushing forward the overall arc." Derp derp derp, we'll just switch things and our sheep fan base will give us 120 and lap it all up. Gear up for inj 3 crew."

Bleh

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I’m sorry but do we really need more high scale threats after the last game? Liu Kang had to do dragon ball fusion dance with a god to defeat the literal arbiter of the timeline (and he didn’t even really beat her cause the timeline reset already and everyone was gone lol). I feel like MK is getting near the MCU’s ridiculousness at times where we’re gonna need a huge multiversal threat just so we could top the last one.

Personally I want to go back to the simpler stories but with tons of side plots for the other characters, like Mk9 but with twists we don't expect. I like when the universe feels like there’s a lot going on in it rather than have everyone united into one story of taking down the big bad. They can build up to a big threat later, like Onaga or something we know rather than make some lame shit up like Kronika
I do see what you're saying, but if everything that Liu did to this point cultivated in "it's a good time to have The King of Iron Fist Tournament" as the main story it would seem pretty underwhelming. Like it would be good to actually show off a full game of godliness before we go back to smaller stories since that better establishes him as a God and further removes him from "Earth Champion" Liu. The smaller stories can be Kenshi plot, Kitana plot, etc.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium

I'm hoping the comment in Liu's bio about a threat isn't an individual and is instead a concept. He's been pushing hard about the choice of order, but maybe he's wildly overestimated realms' mortals' willingness to choose peace. Could just be that the rivalries, clans, realms, etc. get out of hand with conflict.

Really hoping they don't ramp up some giga level threat immediately. That'd be a huge waste of this new timeline's potential.

Lord Snotty

Lord of the Bletherrealm.
I'm hoping the comment in Liu's bio about a threat isn't an individual and is instead a concept.
I reckon the threat he couldn't anticipate is Sub-Zero. Sub-Zero is clearly seeking power above his station and about to unleash something.

I wish NRS had some balls like Midway. It just seems like reboot timeline after reboot timeline. Lets reboot it again in 4 yrs because our writers are fn garb. When I was 14 playing MK3 at a local donut shop I was in awe of the EarthRealm invasion storyline. Like what tf, we got a beat cop out defending earth. The overall storyline actually mattered, and you gave af about the direction of the franchise.

If NRs had big balls over big brows, they wouldve rebooted MK1 well before all these earthrealm twits existed. Shouldve started with the Great Kung Lao n Company fn hell.

Since they didnt, and they wish to shoehorn all the mainstays, can they at least show some semblance of creativity?

Raiden- Should zero lightning ability. Just make him a bad ass with a staff. Real simple heh?

Scorp - Shouldnt exist if it isnt Hanzo. Only reason he is a hell wraith is out of vengeance. Couldve easily created a new hell wraith with similar moveset with different motive.

Have two cryos subs with diff movesets if you want a brother story. Theres enough ice shit to go around.

Kitana- Make her the queen. Why is she fem simping on Mileena's ortho ass?

Cage-Doesnt exist yet

Etcetera. Just poor ass story telling with no thought in pushing forward the overall arc." Derp derp derp, we'll just switch things and our sheep fan base will give us 120 and lap it all up. Gear up for inj 3 crew."

Bleh
TBH I thought I saw some pretty bad takes in the leak thread but GAHT DAYUM.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
I'm quite curious about the big bad simply because I don't understand Liu's power level in this right now. I can't help but wonder if he has destroyed the hourglass and demoted himself to just a fire god or something, because at the end of MK11, he was more powerful than a Titan (blegh) and the elder gods. So, if he's that strong, I don't know why he needs to gather a bunch of humans to help him out.

The only thing I can think of right now is someone like Aftermath Shang Tsung from another universe, but man, introducing more multiverse stuff ALREADY seems like a terrible idea for a restarted universe.