What's new

Guide - Special Forces (UPDATED 25/10) Colby's guide to Special Forces

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
Confirming b14 becomes much easier as b14 dd1 213 can all be combo'd. This means that you should always cancel b14 into dd1 and if b14 is blocked then you should blocked and if it is hit then confirm into 213 Block+4 for a full combo into a drone set up and pressure. Linking b14 dd1 213 can be tricky so if you can't link it b14 dd1 11 Block+4 also combos and is a little easier.

Colby
In the corner you can also link b14 dd1 121 Block+4 which is easier than 213 and is the same damage.
The reason I didn't mention this in the guide is because when I tried it before b14 dd1 121 would link but the Block+4 would not. However I have now found that 121 Block+4 does link in the corner.
I dont know why but sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't link. After practicing it a bit the 121 Block+4 seems to link 9/10 times sometimes it wont.

Just thought I'd let you kno as it's an easier link than 213 :)

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
So what s a good way to get in once you put it out I have a hard time doing it my opponent jump over me most of the time
The BLK+2 should catch them out of jumping over you, but if it doesn't Sonya's standing 1 is great for anti-crossups. Standing 2 might work better but I use standing 1 because it almost always works for me. Obviously from the standing 1 or 2 you can get a short followup like 2134, drone reload if you're drone's gone or 121~BLK+2 to send out another missile or whatever you want.

colby4898

But I try to use it to be safe it didn t work and some of your combos midscreen are off by 2%
It's not safe against every move in the game but b14 dd1 is safer than b14.

I'll check out the damage on the combos when I get home later and change the damage if they're wrong. Thank for letting me know :)

colby4898

Hi I just picked up special Ops sonya and would like some advice what combos do you guys do after BLOCK+2 on hit?
If it hits the opponent trying to jump away you can try an confirm into a f2.
If midscreen example they block b332 so you activate homing missile and the missile hits, I don't think you can combo of it.
In the corner it should be easily confirmed into a 12 and get a full combo ending in 2134.
So what s a good way to get in once you put it out I have a hard time doing it my opponent jump over me most of the time
Activating the homing missile full screen should make the opponent scared making it easier to get in. You still have to be patient and try work your way in. When you activate the missile you can't just run in and start attacking. The missile only does 5% so the opponent projectile will be a bad trade for you, stopping you from being able to just run in and go ham.
If you are really struggling with zoning doing the kamikaze attacks does 10% and knocks down so you should be able to run up and continue pressure. Be careful of wake ups though. The thing with kamikazes though is their tracking isn't great so the opponent can sometimes simply run past them as it won't hit.

Hope this helps. :)

Block 2 on hit has super iffy conversions in many situations. Depends on the relative position of you and the opponent.

It's hard to covert in many situations because of the knockback distance, so rather than fight against that distance I usially just take a free backdash and start drone zoning. Often the chip I get from that is plenty "conversion" enough.

When I can covert though, it's usually F1~something since it has a long hitbox with deceptively good height.

Run up and pressure is an option if you can't reach for a conversion (too much distance), but Sonya can cause serious pain just letting the game happen full screen, so why waste the stamina?

Youphemism

But I try to use it to be safe it didn t work and some of your combos midscreen are off by 2%
I'm currently calculating the frame data for normals/strings cancelled into park drone so once the thread has been posted you'll be able to find out how many moves are actually made safe by cancelling into park drone, some of them aren't. I'll tag you so you see it :p

colby4898

I'm currently calculating the frame data for normals/strings cancelled into park drone so once the thread has been posted you'll be able to find out how many moves are actually made safe by cancelling into park drone, some of them aren't. I'll tag you so you see it :p
I'm a noob so I don't know how to calculate frame data. I just try it out by recording the ai and trying to reversal.
Tbh I don't see much point it cancelling any other string other than b14 into park because other strings are usually 3 or more hits making it easier to block confirm into a drone special which leaves you plus where as park drone always leaves you minus.
None the less if will be interesting to see so please tag me as well :p

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
OMG...RMEs All that info and nobody gives a rat's ass. Taking the time to put together such a huge personal guide for a video game character is literally embarrassing. Get a life Colby, please.

Youphemism

I'm a noob so I don't know how to calculate frame data. I just try it out by recording the ai and trying to reversal.
Tbh I don't see much point it cancelling any other string other than b14 into park because other strings are usually 3 or more hits making it easier to block confirm into a drone special which leaves you plus where as park drone always leaves you minus.
None the less if will be interesting to see so please tag me as well :p
Well it's also useful as it can be safer to cancel into park drone than one of her drone specials, so for example there might be a string you can cancel into park drone that is safe and has no gaps but cancelling that string into a drone special might leave an armourable, punishable gap. I'll tag you too though :)

skater11

The saltiest
Well it's also useful as it can be safer to cancel into park drone than one of her drone specials, so for example there might be a string you can cancel into park drone that is safe and has no gaps but cancelling that string into a drone special might leave an armourable, punishable gap. I'll tag you too though :)
did you ever finish the drone cancel frame data?

Last edited:

colby4898

That's true. But couldn't you cancel into block+1 im pretty sure that doesnt have any gaps. But I guess it will whiff if it's too far away possibly leaving you vulnerable. I'll just shut up and let you get on with it :p

Ninequads93

Beware your Fears
Just a quick set I had with my brotha from anotha motha my training partner Dab JR , now known as kaio Snow ,keep in mind he is an Erron Black main( one of the best if I do say so myself ) but he was messing with Shinnok Necromancer

I start doing better as the set progresses but I'll b posting more sets soon

Youphemism

That's true. But couldn't you cancel into block+1 im pretty sure that doesnt have any gaps. But I guess it will whiff if it's too far away possibly leaving you vulnerable. I'll just shut up and let you get on with it :p
Nope blk+1 still leaves a gap in a lot of cases which is why park drone is most likely there in the first place, to make your strings safe/safer. I'm sure someone else will be willing to test out all the moves cancelled into blk+1 on block to see which have gaps and which don't since I'm swamped with the drone call/park data :D

Ninequads93

Beware your Fears
Nope blk+1 still leaves a gap in a lot of cases which is why park drone is most likely there in the first place, to make your strings safe/safer. I'm sure someone else will be willing to test out all the moves cancelled into blk+1 on block to see which have gaps and which don't since I'm swamped with the drone call/park data :D
Like I've said before I think only stuff tat is safe on block drone call for ex. B332,b14,11, etc into blk+1 can not be armored thru

Stuff like 121,213 etc can b armored

Last edited: