What's new

Guide - Special Forces (UPDATED 25/10) Colby's guide to Special Forces

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
Because in a guide, no one (or at least, not I) wants to know "max damage" combos. We (again, at least I) want to know the realistic damage we get from a practical combo. Flashy big damage combos can be saved for swag combo videos.
I've put the damage with out a jip d4 starter in square brackets next to the combo

colby4898

Great thread op. Btw, I've had this problem where all three of my controller's d-pads are unplayably fucked up, so I bought myself a new blue one and for some reason they make these blue dualshock 4's 100x sturdier than the black ones. The d-pad feels amazing on these. If you're getting a new controller I'd recommend a blue one.
Me too man, im on my 3rd and the same problem with all of them. I got a blue one and it actually got really bad really fast so I think it's just luck of the draw really. Thanks though :)

colby4898

Good point I just tend to not b a fan of park drone lol since they can pretty much start their pressure after but I'll give it another shot

Another corner combo f2 ,low kami,b2,12,njp,12,2134 believe does 38%
It's true that the park drone does leave you negative but I find it impossible to confirm b12 on block into a drone special, of course if you can do it then that's definitely the better option.

I cannot though get b332 of b12 into homing missile to combo... i think im missing something. I'm doing:

b332 Bl+2 1 and it isn't comboing... what am i doing wrong?
b12 Bl+2 puts the opponent too far away for me too reach them.

What am I missing?

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Why not low kamikaze run b1 ex ring. Safe and leads to a combo if it hits. No gap either (like b14) iirc

Jolt

Uprise
I think I covered this in the guide. I wouldn't myself call it a hard to blockable because they don't happen at the same time like say Summoners low bat and b2.
I mentioned how midscreen, after a low kamikaze into a run and any string is a true block string, including her 50/50 options. So of course it would apply in the corner. Also doing b3

To stop the push back of a low kamikaze all you need to do is a short run cancel and a follow up and it will be true block string.
I assume you meant ex db4, but this is -19 on block so going into that isn't the best option imo. Instead of b3 ex db4 which is -19 on block you could do b33u4 which is -7 on block and allows a full meterless combo. Instead of b14 into ex db4 you could b14 ex bf2 as it's minus 5 on block and allws a combo after.

I'm not sure why you would use ex arc kick in any situation other than for a reversal/wakeup so if im missing something please let me know.
To be honest, I probably just glossed over it or didn't connect the dots. Exhausting weekend trying to move to a new home lol.

I did mean db4.

You are also correct about it not being necessarily hard to block in itself. However, I would say in terms of the mix up it definitely is. The low will always hit first but the 50/50 itself is guaranteed.

The reason for the EX arc kick was actually for b1. If the low kamikaze connects, ex arc is (to my knowledge) your only option to continue the combo. That said, someone with good reflexes might be able to hit confirm off the kamikaze and still have time to decide their next option. I'm not one of those people lol

Either way could convert into EX ring instead to be safe I suppose, just couldn't continue combo.

Don't mind me too much, my mind isn't all here and I actually haven't played SF in a few days. Your guide is good, solid, and resourceful. I'm just trying to throw in more information for discussion. If I'm wrong it offers me some enlightenment and the opportunity to rethink my own strategies.

Over information always beats under information in my book

Jolt

Uprise
It's true that the park drone does leave you negative but I find it impossible to confirm b12 on block into a drone special, of course if you can do it then that's definitely the better option.

I cannot though get b332 of b12 into homing missile to combo... i think im missing something. I'm doing:

b332 Bl+2 1 and it isn't comboing... what am i doing wrong?
b12 Bl+2 puts the opponent too far away for me too reach them.

What am I missing?
B14 homing works corner only
For b332 it's a tight link if you use both hits of the 2, but a good bit of space of you cancel after the 1st hit.

I would almost swear that I once got b14 drone park run 2 to combo, but I don't think it is worth trying since the link is tight.

What do you think of the 112 ender? From my experience I think it works just as well as 2134 and maybe even better in the corner. I understand mid screen it's harder to connect and pushes WAY back

colby4898

To be honest, I probably just glossed over it or didn't connect the dots. Exhausting weekend trying to move to a new home lol.

I did mean db4.

You are also correct about it not being necessarily hard to block in itself. However, I would say in terms of the mix up it definitely is. The low will always hit first but the 50/50 itself is guaranteed.

The reason for the EX arc kick was actually for b1. If the low kamikaze connects, ex arc is (to my knowledge) your only option to continue the combo. That said, someone with good reflexes might be able to hit confirm off the kamikaze and still have time to decide their next option. I'm not one of those people lol

Either way could convert into EX ring instead to be safe I suppose, just couldn't continue combo.

Don't mind me too much, my mind isn't all here and I actually haven't played SF in a few days. Your guide is good, solid, and resourceful. I'm just trying to throw in more information for discussion. If I'm wrong it offers me some enlightenment and the opportunity to rethink my own strategies.

Over information always beats under information in my book
Ok I understand what you mean now. I didn't realise you meant if the low kamikaze connected in which case yes then the only way im aware of is to do ex arc kick. However I always do short run cancel after the low kamikaze in case it is blocked (if is see the string prior has been blocked) to stop the pushback. If it isn't blocked the run cancel gives me time to confirm and convert into a combo. If that makes sense. It saves a meter and I think is easier to confirm than b1 ex arc because if that is blocked you'd get a full punish.

The 112 works just as well, the reason I don't use it mid screen is as you said. It sends them full screen which is not where you want to be as Sonya, even though she gets decent zoning in this variation up close is where you should be in my opinion. In the corner you can use it and works equally as well the only reason i choose 2134 is because its more damage. It may just be more damage by 1-2% but you might as well take the extra damage.

I've managed to link it a couple times but I'm not really sure benefit you get from comboing the homing missile when you can link it to low kamikaze for more damage with a safe drone activation. So what do you think the benefit of comboing into the homing missile is?

I'm glad you liked the guide and I hope you do keep adding discussion points to this thread. If you disagree with what I just said then likewise it will offer me enlightenment. :)

Jolt

Uprise
Ok I understand what you mean now. I didn't realise you meant if the low kamikaze connected in which case yes then the only way im aware of is to do ex arc kick. However I always do short run cancel after the low kamikaze in case it is blocked (if is see the string prior has been blocked) to stop the pushback. If it isn't blocked the run cancel gives me time to confirm and convert into a combo. If that makes sense. It saves a meter and I think is easier to confirm than b1 ex arc because if that is blocked you'd get a full punish.

The 112 works just as well, the reason I don't use it mid screen is as you said. It sends them full screen which is not where you want to be as Sonya, even though she gets decent zoning in this variation up close is where you should be in my opinion. In the corner you can use it and works equally as well the only reason i choose 2134 is because its more damage. It may just be more damage by 1-2% but you might as well take the extra damage.

I've managed to link it a couple times but I'm not really sure benefit you get from comboing the homing missile when you can link it to low kamikaze for more damage with a safe drone activation. So what do you think the benefit of comboing into the homing missile is?

I'm glad you liked the guide and I hope you do keep adding discussion points to this thread. If you disagree with what I just said then likewise it will offer me enlightenment. :)
I'll have to start doing the short run just in case. I do it midscreen (so that I can continue my combo if it hits) but I haven't bothered in the corner. Just never crossed my mind, honestly lol. That's especially good though. It will make the mixup more potent.

The benefit of canceling into homing missile is basically that you keep the drone out. Think of it this way: If you do b332 homing, you could end in EX throw into another 50/50 this time USE the drone for extra damage or + frames and then call it back out after knockdown.

OR still knock them down, keep your drone out and on wakeup get an extra 50/50 option with low kamikaze into b1 which is low/overhead instead of her standard overhead/low. There is definitely utility. A drone that is already out is more dangerous than a drone that has to be called out because the threat of drone is constant.

You can also use b332 homing missile and intentionally MISS the link and attempt another mixup with the threat of missile to hopefully earn you some respect. This is especially effective if the drone is parked further behind you.

Missile also offers a reset opportunity: If they think they can press a button (because they assumed you would park), you can catch them and get a small conversion of f2 leg grab even if your reflexes aren't all there. Since all drone moves have the same startup time (but not the same time before impact), the mixups just get tricky and in some cases paralyzing. Mixing in the missile and not just parking every time makes it harder to plan your next move

I think the decision to make drone attacks not buffer is intentional. I think NRS's idea is for us to use drone park when we aren't sure of the followup success but then use the drone if we're feeling more confident or want to take the larger risk.

colby4898

Missile also offers a reset opportunity: If they think they can press a button (because they assumed you would park), you can catch them and get a small conversion of f2 leg grab even if your reflexes aren't all there..
I definitely se the utility now thanks. But I find the link so hard i think i'd rather stick with what I know tbh.

The problem though is in the bit I quoted. If they block my b14 and then know im going to park drone they can press a button. But as ive said FOR ME I have no other choice because I cannot confirm a drone attack from a blocked b14. Because the timing is different on hit than on block I cannot react fast enough to change my timing when I see it's blocked, if I try I stop at -15 frames. That's why I cancel from b14 into dd1, because it's easier (though still quite difficult) to confirm from a blocked b14 because dd1 does buffer and leaves me around -7. Of course if YOU can confirm a blocked b14 into a drone attack it makes sense to do it. Unfortunately I can't :(

Ninequads93

Beware your Fears
121 , f4 are also safe into drone call

Also the opponent can't always armor through overhead shot everything that is safe on block into drone you can cancel into overhead shot and the opp can't armor out just a quick note

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)

Also the opponent can't always armor through overhead shot everything that is safe on block into drone you can cancel into overhead shot and the opp can't armor out just a quick note
121 isn't safe into drone call on hit or on block. 121~drone call is -11/-12 on hit and at least -17 on block. Not sure about F4 yet.

colby4898

Every string that I've tested into overhead blast can't be armoured butt I haven't checked every string, only ones I actually use. I think I said this in the guide under the last section when I said block+2/3/4 can be armoured implying block+1 can't be. As I said I haven't tested every string so if there is one that can be armoured let me know :)

Ninequads93

Beware your Fears
Every string that I've tested into overhead blast can't be armoured butt I haven't checked every string, only ones I actually use. I think I said this in the guide under the last section when I said block+2/3/4 can be armoured implying block+1 can't be. As I said I haven't tested every string so if there is one that can be armoured let me know :)
I apologize if I misinformed you guys but if you do b1 overhead shot or b3 overhead shot your opp can armor in between the blast

IIRC b1 to shotgun will whiff at certain distances if the opponent gets hit by the b1.

I've not seen anyone armor through b14 though. It's probably too difficult to be worth the risk. It's never happened to me outside of someone just bashing their controller repeatedly. I don't think it's a concern.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
I mean I have some on my channel, I still haven't optimised doing some things like divekick into B2 or block confirming a string into park drone yet but you can still check it out. Mainly week 6 or 7 onwards was when I started playing it in tourney:
http://www.youtube.com/tymyouphemism