What's new

Unpopular Opinion About Fatalities

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
I think the only shitty thing about MK11's fatalities are the slow-mo and freeze frame at the end. Absolutely unnecessary.
Nah man, that’s a great new aesthetic. I loved the Injustice 2 match ending screens and I’m glad to see them come to MK11, even in fatalities. It lets you appreciate the gore for a few seconds.

Burn2019

Noob
I started to get sick of fatalities in MKDA. They went from “quick, darkly funny, violent” in older games to “long drawn out exploding body bits with no actual shock factor”.

Fast forward to the proper age of online MK, MK9, and I now quit matches against someone who fatality’s me.

Don’t waste my time. Don’t disrespect me. Or, enjoy spending time looking for another opponent.

Fatalities or self indulgent waffle 90% of the time. Brutalities are far superior, as they are basically the fatalities of old.

I agree they are too long and almost all of them have a last part that is unnecessary. the totem head in kotals, baraka cutting your head in half after he already cut your head off,sub zero smashing the head after he already cut it off and then froze it. making it worse is the eye ball popping out in nearly all of them. gimmie that short and sweet

stokedAF

casual kahnage
I'm all about creativity .... if the fatality is a well done, that give creeps, shivers and has shocking value, I will not worry or care if takes a few more seconds in the screen to happen all it animation sequence. :)

Baraka Brain Eater and Geras Skinning Alive fatalities are both very good fatalities, that, could suffer if they had reduced their total timing presentation ;)

Anyway, I turned a great fan of Brutalities in MKX, so, I love Fatalities, but I love even more Brutatilies , since many of them are pure homage to old fatalities in the MK franchise/series :rolleyes:
I agree. I did the fatalities for every character I played and they were great. I didn’t spam them every time I won but we have remember that even though you have seen it a thousand times the person who did it probably didn’t. I don’t mind them at all. I like brutalities a lot too and I like that they are different. I even like that cinematic aspect of the new fatalities with the added injustice slowdown.

I'm not a super high level tournament player or someone who has extremely limited playtime, so I don't mind longer fatalities than those we've seen in the past. That said, I would say that seeing the same finishers over and over, back to back in a set does get old. Also, because I'm petty like that, I ALWAYS finish the opponent with some kinda finisher. It's fucking Mortal Kombat. I don't wanna see the final hit be a simple standing 1...

EDIT: Given the option, I will always choose Brutalities. I love the way they were revamped in MKX. To me, the fact that you can combo into them is the most exciting part of them. That and they're short, sweet, to the point, and well... brutal.

Last edited:

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I don’t think the problem is fatalities, is that casuals will literally do them after every damn game.
If you’re losing to casuals every match though, you might just be getting what you deserve :)

Think of it as motivation to improve and not lose to players who aren’t at least taking the game somewhat seriously.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I can say I’m already desensitized to eyeballs popping out of peoples heads. I fucking love Brutalities, though!

Searsy82

Noob
Personally, I think they have their place and still enjoy them. To me fatalities are fun when casually playing with friends hanging out and just having a good time. Especially when they are all new. This is why outside of the original reveal, I have been avoiding all fatalities, brutalities, and fatal blows. I want as much of it to be new as possible.

With that said, in online/competitive play I like Brutalities because there is an extra layer of execution required and they are quick and gory. They feel like fatalities of old.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
If you’re losing to casuals every match though, you might just be getting what you deserve :)

Think of it as motivation to improve and not lose to players who aren’t at least taking the game somewhat seriously.

You’re talking like casual players can’t be good, kind of presumptuous.

You can not take the game too seriously and still be a respectable player. Especially in such a casual friendly series. And while they do it the most, even the hardest of online warriors have people among their ranks that will literally go for it every time.

My motivation for improving is improvement itself, I get that without having to worry about sitting through a cutscene I’ve seen 100 times already. I’d rather they teabag and jab me or do a brutality if they really want to flex, that way I can get back into the fight and we can have fun testing our skill. And when one of us is ready to go, the fatality is the punctuation.

Last edited:
Yeah, shorten all that shit down. The longer the window for fatalities, the longer online warriors have to teabag you. And long ass Fatal Blows get SO FUCKING BORING AND TEDIOUS even when you're the one dishing it out.

Casual players can beat other casual players and fatality too much lol. That person never even said he was the one who would be losing, just that they would do that.

You’re talking like casual players can’t be good, kind of presumptuous.

You can not take the game too seriously and still be a respectable player. Especially in such a casual friendly series. And while they do it the most, even the hardest of online warriors have people among their ranks that will literally go for it every time.

My motivation for improving is improvement itself, I get that without having to worry about sitting through a cutscene I’ve seen 100 times already. I’d rather they teabag and jab me or do a brutality if they really want to flex, that way I can get back into the fight and we can have fun testing our skill. And when one of us is ready to go, the fatality is the punctuation.
I really hope the fatalities stay being a sort of farewell after a good amount of games and not a regular occurrence. Some people will do it in the middle of a few sets then maybe I’ll do one back, but it isn’t really something that’s necessary to do ad nauseam. In the game’s early lifespan they may unfortunately be used a ton for flashy purposes like they were in the stress test but when the time comes I’m sure they’ll be used rarely like in MKX

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Radam

Noob
The finishers never get old for me. Sometimes I just want to have a break for a few seconds and enjoy a gory cutscene after I beat you up before I beat you up again...and if you get salty over it....call your Mum!

Inzzane_79

Every time someone farts, a demon gets his wings
I don´t care if someone does a fatality on me. Gives me time to check my phone, go to the bathroom, get a drink, reflect what I did wrong and why I lost etc.

I understand that some people don´t like them and feel it´s time wasted

Ashesfall

"Feel the wrath of Shao Kahn"
my biggest concern is also the fatal blow situation (hope every fatal blow will be super unsafe like in tekken7) but we are here about fatalities

i personally wished the finishing time would be way shorter to be more on point.
(this will also eliminate the option to pause look up the Fatal, un-pause and do it.
that is stupid design to me, you should know what you do and be prepared for such a "Badass" ender.
(since MK9, we already have a build-in Fatality trainer to be "prepared" ...))

Fatalities should be more rare by design, especially because they are only "cosmetic" to the game.

ps: we life in a time, where if you are to bad at all, to pull a f,d,f+1 motion, just go watch Youtube Fatal collections ^^

Absolutely cannot stand fatal blows... They look cool and all... ONCE... but they're OP as hell! WAY TOO LONG, Standard FB does more damage than most 2 meter combos PLUS they're unpunishable on block??? Ridiculous imo

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Xelz

Go over there!
They are a bit long, but I also expect that they won’t be used much in competitive online. After the novelty wears off most players will want to get to the next match quickly.

I second the opinion that there’s too much time between the end of the fatality and the match menu becoming available. That dead time is awkward and really draws out the fatality unnecessarily.

Wrenchfarm

Lexcorp Proprietary Technologies
I love the big showy fatalities, they are a great way to cap off a set and one of the things that gets newcomers super hype about the game.

That said, they are wicked long. Which is why I also love brutalities and the faction/classic fatalities in MKX! I really think it's a best of both worlds thing. Big fatlities to showboat, more practical and satisfying finishers as people get more into the game and just want to grind matches.

Being able to do the classic fatals really make the new ones stand out. Old ones were like, Scorpion rips off mask, breathes a gout of fire, crisps up his opponent. All done!

OzzFoxx

Hardcore gaming poser.
Their new pattern is 10 or so high quality fatalities spread among the icons, then quick and easy ones to fill in the rest of them. They had to rebuild the franchise from scratch, at least we get holes. Holes are nice, you can see some guts. At least we don’t have fatalities like Erron black’s were in mkx yet