What's new

Unpopular Opinion About Fatalities

MrWarMachine

Jacqui/D'Vorah 2020
I love fatalities and brutalities. personally, i'm not looking forward to the potential Mercy mechanic because it extends the match, and will likely lead to stupid ass animalities lol.

I think people are just sick of the Scorpion/Baraka/Skarlet fatalities because we've seen them ad nasuem at this point. Once we get some more diversity in what we're seeing, I don't think it'll be that big of a deal.

Fatal blows are an issue given how much time they take and their free nature means they'll crop up every match (just like injustice breakers). I really wish NRS would stop forcing canned animations everytime that take a year and a half. They aren't hype because they're super over the top animations. They're hype if they're actually rare. If they become common they become obnoxious.

Fatalities probably should be over the top. I've always been a fan of the "simple" ones even in the recent MK's, but ever since they added brutalities in that niche is filled. Damn near every move can be your "clean and quick" kill, so that leaves fatalities as the "spectacle" options.

Yeah they're long, but at that point the match is over.

Zaccel

Noob
I think MK11's on the right track, at least regarding Fatality content if not pacing. But after Reptile's Fatalities (and Brutalities...) in MKX anything's an improvement.

I quite like Johnny's new Deadly Uppercut, Kabal's is pretty brutal, Sub-Zero's is good. There's definitely vestiges of the grab-bag Fatalities of MKX (particularly with Geras and Scorpion), but it's a step up.

But other games have a similar mechanic like Soul Calibur 6 called LETHAL HITS which operates the exact same way EXCEPT you can do it as many times as the opportunity is there to perform it.
Lethal Hits aren't like Fatal Blows, they're akin to Krushing Blows--they even have a bit of slow-mo when they connect. Some LH are also restricted based on other parameters (Astaroth has one that only activates on his next 6A+B after he won the previous round by Ring-Out, and he loses it if he whiffs), but otherwise yeah.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I think the only shitty thing about MK11's fatalities are the slow-mo and freeze frame at the end. Absolutely unnecessary.
Yeah, both the fatalities and the brutalities take a while until the select screen is up probably because of that, and it's a little weird. It's just a long pause of hearing blood gushing.

I have 0 patience. I hate fatalities. I always have menu up ready to quit after losing just in case my opponent does one. No rage, mo saltiness, I just literally wanna get to next opponent. Idc. My time is precious.

I agree with this sentiment. The fatalities get to the point of killing a person 3 times over. If the person is already cut it half must we then cut off arms, then head and eat it? I prefer the more creative true fatalities ala Kung Lao hat saw that he uses to cut the guy in half like a table saw.

Beyond that I liked it back in the day when fatalities were a little more difficult to do. Now it seems like the person has a full minute to enter the commands for the fatality. In the old school MKs there was about 10 seconds to enter the command. If I play someone who does a fatality after every single match I'm backing out. I'm not watching that shit after every single match.
Then dont lose lol

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
I love fatalities for creativity. The gorier are fatalities the better. I liked all fatalities in MK11 so far. Maybe second Scorp’s fatality is a bit overwhelming since it looks more like victory pose but got is it beautiful

DragonofDadashov24

I have 0 patience. I hate fatalities. I always have menu up ready to quit after losing just in case my opponent does one. No rage, mo saltiness, I just literally wanna get to next opponent. Idc. My time is precious.
Or you can use the time to think of the strategy to not get beaten again. Quitting is saltiness and rage, doesn’t matter how you put it

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
They're way too long and they have too many parts (no pun intended). During the stress test when Baraka players did his fatalities, I legit had time to get something to drink and sit back down and it still wasn't done.

I can't pinpoint exactly when it started, but I noticed it's been more prevalent since MKX. Personally, I feel like it takes away that shock factor and some of them - not all of them - are just being gory to be gory. I prefer fatalities that are quick and shocking and/or a bit silly, like the ones we saw for Cassie.

That's why I absolutely love Brutalities in this game, I feel like they did a fantastic job and most of them have that nostalgic factor. Especially ones like Scarlet's blood ball brutality where the opponent inflates and then explodes.

What do you guys prefer? Long and drawn out? Or quick and dirty?

I feel like this should be in the FG dating thread.
Some of them are really sick, others are just poor imo. But this is true about brutalities too. Like uppercutting the spine out too. It gets old fast.

DragonofDadashov24

Real unpopular opinion is that Kano’s fatality is actually very good. Headbutting the shit out of someone is great. I’d even add a couple of more headbuts.

Jhonnykiller45

Shirai Ryu
Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather someone D4 me than perform a Fatality after a match, but if you don't like seeing Fatalities then just don't lose. About their length and the overall directing/cinematography, I think they're absolutely fine. Maybe they could be a bit shorter and less overkill? Sure, but why bother? Brutalities exist now for a reason.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I don’t think the problem is fatalities, is that casuals will literally do them after every damn game.

I honestly wish they were harder to do so you wouldn’t see them so often and they were actually special.

Like giving them e Babality/Brutality-like requirements that had to be met in order to do them.

The only time I ever do a fatality is at the end of a set, against annoying opponents, or if the character I’m using has one that is particularly fast so it’s about as long as an outro anyway.

Besides, getting a clutch Brutallty or doing a sick ass combo into one is waaaaaay cooler.

Last edited:
Or you can use the time to think of the strategy to not get beaten again. Quitting is saltiness and rage, doesn’t matter how you put it
Blah blah blah. Call it what you want, it doesnt change the absolutr FACT that I feel absolutely no saltiness nor rage when I lose. Fatalities are dumb and boring to watch. That is my opinion. So i have chosen to skip them whenever possible. I also NEVER do them. So put two snd two together. You literally stated that you love fatalities. That alone proves that you have no idea what I am thinking or feeling as someone who absolutely hates seeing them anywhere other than youtube. This disdain only grows as the game ages

DragonofDadashov24

Blah blah blah. Call it what you want, it doesnt change the absolutr FACT that I feel absolutely no saltiness nor rage when I lose. Fatalities are dumb and boring to watch. That is my opinion. So i have chosen to skip them whenever possible. I also NEVER do them. So put two snd two together.
Here’s a secret: Fatalities are as same as stun/dizziness in Street Fighter which are meant to make people salty. Boon wanted to add dizziness after the battle cause it would make people more salty.

trufenix

bye felicia
Agree with this, it seems like a lot of the fatalities have 3 parts,
-Initial Damage
-Death dealing blow
-Disrespecting opponent.
I feel like the first step can be removed for most of the fatalities. For instance I don't understand why Baraka cuts their arms off on his second fatality, he should just cross his blades on their neck, from the start and do the rest.
Because he can

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
My favorite fatalities to perform in MKX were the klassic ones. Johnny head uppercut, Jax arm rip.

They're more brutal, because they feel more real, AND they don't take as long. Win-win. There's a few in MK11 that are so good, they're worth doing anyway - Scorpion hell portal, Johnny triple uppercut - but overall I'm still where I was with MKX. Realer and faster > more elaborate and more silly.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I love the longer fatalities, it's at the end of the match anyway so for me I don't mind lol. I do admit though I liked the darker music in MK X with the fatality imo it was better.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
I love fatalities and brutalities. personally, i'm not looking forward to the potential Mercy mechanic because it extends the match, and will likely lead to stupid ass animalities lol.

I think people are just sick of the Scorpion/Baraka/Skarlet fatalities because we've seen them ad nasuem at this point. Once we get some more diversity in what we're seeing, I don't think it'll be that big of a deal.
Mercy would absolutely be a welcomed addition to MK11.

Since the removal of Babalities, there's been no real way to humiliate your opponent. I'd love to see them return strictly for this reason. I can see Sonic being a cocky little asshole and Mercy'ing someone in the top 8 at EVO or something. Would be super fun to see.

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
I love the fatalities. They seem quite creative this time around (minus Geras’s #1), and the new slow-mo finish is great.

But I also love the brutalities. I especially love how immediate and decisive the match ends afterward. The music, sounds, etc... it’s all just perfection.

I hope we get another unannounced finisher, such as Friendships or Babalities.

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
Are people really that impatient? Its literally just a few seconds of your life. Both fatalities and brutalities are awesome and having that extra time to get a drink or whatever is actually a good thing. If you dont want people doing fatalities then get getter
Yes. There are people who don’t even let the match end screen play out, and immediately pause the game to restart upon receiving the final hit. It’s one of the things I can’t stand the most, when watching tournaments.