What's new

UAm I the only one who wants Bo'Rai Cho for DLC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGillette

My thirst for knowledge cannot be quenched
Tbh, I would pick Bo’ Rai Cho over Jacqui any day, I like him as a character and even played him many times in MKX. Drunken Master has the coolest moves but it does not matter anymore because that variation didnt have a chance to be playable

Darth-Nero

Come Thunder! Come Lightning!
Very well, I have nothing else to add. I find it funny that people think gore is fine but draw the line at puke. I find it funny that people prefer yet another edgy ninja than a character with an unique look and style.

But because this thread is full of bashing a character I like, I don't have anything to add. I have my answer. Am I the only one who wants Bo'Rai Chi for DLC? Yes. Ok, bye.
Nothing is strange about this lol, MK always attract edgy weeb teenagers the most, who think ninjas and sexy females are the coolest design ever yo. You can see that from all the backlash over females not being sexy enough or have huge racks, Fucking pathetic.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
Watch Rain get released as MK 11 DLC down the line.

Ed Boon: "Well, originally I didn't want to have the same character als DLC twice. You can also really only put a certain number of characters into the game. And storywise too we felt that it wasn't Rains time yet. But the fans have just been so outspoken. There has been tons (!) of positive and clamoring feedback on Rain, which is why we simply had to bring him to Mortal Kombat 11."
Where is the Tweet/Screenshot of Boon saying that.

KCJ506

Noob
He never said "in a row" (in this context, anyways). Just that they wouldn't do the same DLC twice.
I could have sworn it was that a character wouldn't be DLC twice in a row.

So what, around maybe 10 years from now when MK13 is out, we still can't have Rain if he's not in the base roster? I could see them not doing it back to back but never again? Then we're never going to see Tremor or Tanya again if they can't make the base roster in a future game?

Cassie Cyrus

Have you ever seen the Rain?
Lol, and then Boon said it is not fair to ask money twice for the same character...

Well then, it ain't fair to IGNORE those characters in every game.

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
I think he should skip this game and come in the next one on the base roster. Gotta give people a chance to miss him :)

Cassie Cyrus

Have you ever seen the Rain?
I think he should skip this game and come in the next one on the base roster. Gotta give people a chance to miss him :)
I think he should skip this game, and the next, and the game after the next, and the game after that next, only to return as a very awesome fighter who was on a diet so his farting and drinking problem has been solved and he's finally the cool master he's supposed to be. ;-)

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
I think he should skip this game, and the next, and the game after the next, and the game after that next, only to return as a very awesome fighter who was on a diet so his farting and drinking problem has been solved and he's finally the cool master he's supposed to be. ;-)
The drunken fist is fine with me, but everything else can go. My wig stayed glued this recent iteration :/

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Though it had flaws on top of Bo' Rai's base flaws, I think the Drunken Master was the most ambitious and interesting character design(gameplay wise) NRS has ever made.

DeftMonk

Noob
I just want to ask those that don’t have a problem with his farting/puking: does that add to the character in a positive way for you? I think those that would say yes to this are far outnumbered by those that would be turned off by it. Myself it does nothing for me but I’m sad that this is what keeps me from having a lei wulong with brutalities :*( . I think he would be really cool and popular if they just got rid of that element.

Lun

proud TERF!
The fain
I hope you're being sarcastic and aren't actually asking for Bo'Rai Cho to become yet another edgy cool dude.

I am still amused by reading comments of people who couldn't stand the pukes and farts. But ripping spines and eating brains is ok.

I'll speak for myself here, but to me there is a difference between fatalities and fart jokes. Fatalities is a form of over the top violence, so needlessly violent that it becomes absurd. A kind of Grand Guignol, dark humour if you want.
For me the best fatalities are not the bloodiest but the most creative ones. My favorite from MK9 is Cyber Sub Zero's with the shuriken, and it's one of the least violent in the game. I think I can create a poll about the favorite fatality so far in MK11 and I'm pretty sure Johnny's would win in a heartbeat.

But, on the other hand, fart and pukes jokes are, before anything else, a lame attempt for humour in poor quality medias. This doesn't mean you can't have fun jokes with that, but it requires to be creative and bring them in a clever way. Here's some exemples :

In the case of Bo'Rai Cho, the repetitive farts and pukes makes him boring by the end of the first match. Bo'Rai Cho has been in MKX's roster for 3 years now and I've met BRC players like ten times, and more than half of those were just after the release of the KP2. I mean there's probably something wrong with him to be that unpopular. I really wish you added a poll with "Did you like Bo'Rai Cho in MKX ?", so you could have an idea of the popularity of the character.
Again, I'm not against the Drunken Fighter concept, but adding farts and pukes to the character is a deal breaker to me. They had the opportunity to rework him, to make him a more serious yet comical relief character, to show who is the teacher of the legendary warriors Liu Kang and Kung Lao. But no, they wasted the opportunity. Too bad, he probably won't get another chance.

I'm pretty sure you can create a drunken fighter in FG without falling in the pee poo humour, you can make the character a bit silly as long he is not ridiculous. It requires talent, skill and creativity to create such a character, but we all know here that NRS has very good artists and can make a good character out of it. I've always claimed that NRS is the best studio in character design in the whole FG industry, but Bo'Rai Cho made me doubt about this statement when he got released.

I'm sorry if your character will not return in MK11, probably not even in MK12, but for many people, including me, that is not a great loss. Not liking BRC don't make us "edgy weebs that only like color swapped ninjas and slutty female characters".
I know sometimes it sucks to like something unpopular or the opposite, but attacking the people that do not agree with you is never a good idea to make others accept your point of view.

Have a good day, sir.

Lun

proud TERF!
Here's the thing. MK isn't as much about the violence but about the gross-out factor.The fart and pukes make Bo'Rai Cho an MK-style reinterpretation of the drunken master archetype. The puke isn't there to be funny - it's there to be gross kinda like a ripped spine is gross. Yes, there's quite a difference in the two things, but both have the gross-out factor of MK.

So, the fart has a comedy factor, but the puke doesn't, and both are there to make Bo'Rai Cho a drunken master in the unique MK style.
You wouldn't find any other fighting game in which the drunken master can vomit after drinking too much. Only MK can do that. That's what makes him unique.

Remove that and what do you get? A drunken master that's no longer unique to Mortal Kombat, but that can be found in any other fighting game. While we're at it, let's also make him slim and fit, so he looks even more generic.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
Here's the thing. MK isn't as much about the violence but about the gross-out factor.
To you. You keep not getting that. Not everyone pops an MK disc into their PS4 thinking "I wanna be grossed out right now!" In fact I'd guess that the vast majority of MK players are desensitized to violence and find most of it cool instead of gross.

Remove that and what do you get? A drunken master that's no longer unique to Mortal Kombat, but that can be found in any other fighting game. While we're at it, let's also make him slim and fit, so he looks even more generic.
Scorpion and Sub-Zero could easily be made to fit into any other fighting game without losing any of their personality, animations, or moves. Does that make them bad generic characters? Lol. If the only thing that makes Bo'Rai Cho "interesting" is that he pukes and farts, then holy fuck, you're just proving how much he deserves to be deleted.

Lord Snotty

Lord of the Bletherrealm.
It's simple. Bo Rai Cho drinks a lot of wine and that causes a gassy build-up. And he farts. Really, if I'm going to hate him for that, I may as well hate Kano for pissing in his intro.

Lun

proud TERF!
No thanks.

He’s a bad comedy character that’s simply puerile and ill-fitting.
He's not even that much of a comedy character.

And I'd say he's as puerile and ill-fitting as ripping spines and eating brains.

Look, I'm really tired of having to defend a good character. You guys prefer the more generic, child-like approach of cool edgy dark and fit ninja warriors? Ok. Be my guest.

I'm also getting the impression that there's a sort of tribe mind here at work, in which the cool thing to do is to hate on Bo'Rai Cho on principle. Maybe it's insecurity in liking a fat character who pukes?

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
He's not even that much of a comedy character.

And I'd say he's as puerile and ill-fitting as ripping spines and eating brains.

Look, I'm really tired of having to defend a good character. You guys prefer the more generic, child-like approach of cool edgy dark and fit ninja warriors? Ok. Be my guest.

I'm also getting the impression that there's a sort of tribe mind here at work, in which the cool thing to do is to hate on Bo'Rai Cho on principle. Maybe it's insecurity in liking a fat character who pukes?
What if I like that he's fat and don't like that he farts and pukes all the time? What does your psychoanalysis have to say about that?

You asked a question and people answered. There's no need to get all butthurt now and try to shame people for their preferences just because they don't align with yours. Stop acting like you're some kind of intellectual because you like a character who gross out most people.

It's also perfectly possible not to like him AND the overly graphic fatalities we get nowadays. If it was up to me NRS would scrap X Ray/ Fatal Blows and make all the fatalities look like brutalities( nice and quick with no zoom in). It might shock you but not everybody plays the game only for the over the top gore. Some of us actually like the characters, the lore and the moves.

He won't be coming back anyway since Boon doesn't want characters to be DLC twice in a row so this thread is rather pointless.

Last edited:

Lun

proud TERF!
Very well, I think this thread should be locked now, lest someone else comes here to say about how they don't want Bo'rai Cho.

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
Very well, I have nothing else to add. I find it funny that people think gore is fine but draw the line at puke.
Nobody draws the line at puke. Noob Saibot's Xray in MK9 made his opponent puke and it was great, it's still probably the best Xray. Bo Rai Cho breaks your neck in an Xray... And then pukes all over himself. If you don't see why people like one and dislike the other, then that's on you.

Oh man. Can`t get enough of this Bo Rai Cho guy. Could you imagine him perfoming this awesome Fatal Blow in which he shits his pants in slow motion for 30 seconds straight in front of your guy until he melts. Fucking rad.
Can you believe that someone would choose to play as a hot chick or one of those edgy buff guys when this stud exists?

Lun

proud TERF!
I'll just add him to the "things I like but noone else does" list.
I would appreciate if people stopped dissing him in a thread that was supposed to ask if someone else liked him. It feels like trolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.