What's new

TYM's Hot Topic of the Week: Do we ban Scorpion from tournament play?

Should Scorpion be banned from tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GrundyFox

I will spit on your tomb!
Thew problem with the comparisons of "well so and so wasn't banned in so and so game" is that regardless of how powerful they were, they were designed for the game they're in. Scorpion was plucked from another game with a different core and shoehorned into this one. He doesn't fit, he doesn't belong, the way he forces you to play and the fashion he 50/50's his was through most instances rewrites the game.

Scalabrine

Not new but whatevs...
No...at least not yet.

Ban him for tournaments when he hasn't been to a single tournament. At least 2 or 3 before he is...

zaf

professor
If you don't plan on playing in tournaments, then why are you against banning the char? Just admit that you're trolling and make this argument all go away -.-.
I've already said I'm not a fan of having characters banned. If there is one character that beats scorpion I'd rather learn that character to fight scorpion rather than banning him. In any game for that matter. I was never on board with banning kabal or kenshi from mk9. I'm not trolling. I don't troll.

There might even be a time where I feel like entering when I'm at a tournament. Who knows....

What Reo was doing on the Kombat Network stream was embarassing and painful to watch. Literally the same shit all over and over, a la "bird Scorpion". Sure Reo exposes this fool to everyone so that they can see how broken the character is but damn... Then I remember how many people wanted to get rid of block button in next MK. Yeah, here you go. Have fun with those teleports all day. You're lucky NRS didn't port Smoke from MK9 to Injustice.
Don't give them strange ideas

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I really don't understand where all this is coming from. Could someone please direct me to a scorpion to play or at least some footage of a good scorpion. I just want to be enlightened, because I'm not seeing him as ban worthy.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
I've already said I'm not a fan of having characters banned. If there is one character that beats scorpion I'd rather learn that character to fight scorpion rather than banning him. In any game for that matter. I was never on board with banning kabal or kenshi from mk9. I'm not trolling. I don't troll.

There might even be a time where I feel like entering when I'm at a tournament. Who knows....
OH MY FUCKING GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD

If you ban Scorpion, you save characters, they will actually be seen, not under some rock for the rest of the games life.
Its one for all, or all for one. You're choosing the downfall of all for the saving of one.

zaf

professor
OH MY FUCKING GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD

If you ban Scorpion, you save characters, they will actually be seen, not under some rock for the rest of the games life.
Its one for all, or all for one. You're choosing the downfall of all for the saving of one.
You don't forsee a future with players getting better and beating scorpions?

You are doing it now.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
THANK YOU

am i taking crazy pills or was that comparrison the worst thing ever??!?!?!?!?
yeah bro, I actually just got some inside info that they are going to put Ermac in the second season pass with his UMK3 teleport. They are buffing him though and giving him a second teleport special where the normal one hits in front of you and the other one hits behind you. We will be alright after we level up though.

Shawi

Noob
Scorpion does not fit into the game. Don't get me wrong, I've picked him up and he is a blast to use - he just breaks too many fundamental rules in the game - Simple as that. I can see sub-zero fitting in perfectly though tbh.

zaf

professor
I heard this before... "Don't worry people just have to level up to beat Kabal." People did, but so did Kabal players. Kabal still dominated tournaments after we learned how to "deal" with him. You may say it was just REO, but that talking point is bullshit and you know it.
This game is still young and so is scorp. We just need to keep playing and see what develops. If it continues this way and no more patches come then sure ban him
I just think this is way to early

redeyes

Button Masher
This game is still young and so is scorp. We just need to keep playing and see what develops. If it continues this way and no more patches come then sure ban him
I just think this is way to early

kabal was broken since day 1 MK had like 6 patches kabal is still broken to this day...

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
Funny thing about Scorpion is that he's not even OP. That would imply he has a wide array of tools that can beat anything in the game. He's not even the best character in the game. As such, IT MAKES NO SENSE TO BE COMPARING THIS CHARACTER WITH KABAL.

But that doesn't mean he isn't broken. The reason he needs to be banned is because of his overall random factor based around the fact that he does not fit into this game's engine. If this game had a block button and good universal anti-airs, he wouldn't be any better than he was in MK9. But the fact of the matter is that the game has neither of those things, and Scorpion forces every single character to play a "different game," so to speak. His entire playstyle revolves around exploiting a mechanic in the game, and he eliminates both the need for footsies and use of interactables.

I really don't see how anybody can justify this character. Leveling up won't take away his ability to random out any player out of a tournament. Literally every single match against this character comes down to guarding and praying you guess right.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
As I said on the first page, I think Scorpion should be banned for EVO, probably Batgirl as well(but that can be debated).

I don't think he should be banned because he is broken, though I'm not arguing that he isn't, just that he came out very recently, and Scorpion is a character you really need the matchup experience against, a lot of it, and you need to develop the muscle memory for the match, and a month isn't really enough, especially for people who don't have regular offline sessions.

Mr Wizard should have played it safe like he did with MK9 and just blanket ban DLC, because they clearly did not have as much Q&A as the rest of the cast.

After EVO, I think he will get normalized pretty severally. Maybe even before with the Zod patch, but I don't think EVO is going to use that patch, so it doesn't matter.

zaf

professor
zaf ok well what if we banned him now then later on down the road unbanned him once his shit gets fixed?
pretty simple...
My only problem with this is that we don't know if any fixes are coming or if they will please the community

kabal was broken since day 1 MK had like 6 patches kabal is still broken to this day...
Does not mean the same will happen to Scorpion

Status
Not open for further replies.