What's new

TYM's Hot Topic of the Week: Do we ban Scorpion from tournament play?

Should Scorpion be banned from tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
That's bs... In that game you had a run button to get in quick and an insta-block with a button if you saw teleport. In Injustice, you have to hold down to avoid the teleport or be on the lookout for it the entire match where you can't ever throw anything out ever for fear of being punished for it.

EX Teleport is THE "get in for free" move if you have meter or, if your opponent does anything no meter.

I still say it's too early to ban him. Let Scorpion players prove the character is broken at EVO. If only Perfect Legend and/or @REO make top 8 with him, then it's the player not the character.
Thats not true, Kabal is a broken character in MK9, regardless of how difficult his execution is.

You can't say that if they win the character is broken, and if they lose it isn't. Not a good way to call the shots. People arent really taking into account the longevity of this game, if we let Scorpion stay tournament legal, the game will go right down the shitter. It will literally be all Aquaman, WW and Scorpion.

Gruff757

The Gruff
Heres what I think the real problem is,

besides talking about the obvious (he isn't a character built for the fundamentals and engine of this game)

He totally kills hype for me watching, and playing.

If we as a community want MLG to pick this game up, then some diversity in characters and hype matches better start happening soon. Because right now, there is 0 hype for me on almost all streams and matches I watch of this game. And it is getting even more and more boring to play.

I have not played the top level scorps but I have played some good ones, and while yes he is beatable, it is boring as fuck to watch, and super unhype to play.

Just my 2 cents, I have a feeling we will see after CEO and Evo, I for one am pretty fuckin sick of watching Black Adam, Superman, Scorpion and Green Lantern on streems.
which is exactly what my point was earlier when someone commented on the top always being scorpion vs a select few, when it is already, for the most part, that way without scorpion

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Here's a better question, why were none of the DLC characters banned in MK9 considering how many aspects of the metagame they had no reason to give a fuck about and had no input from actual FGC players internally? Honestly, I had little interest in this character intially, but I can already tell by the way this is being handled he's only going to get better, I've seen this happen in too many MK games to care about being that guy anymore.

The problem with scorpion is that he plays as if the game was intended to have a block button.

Some of the zoning, some characters play like that too, but scorpion is too much.
There is no block button in this game which means all you need is luck vs Scorpion, which is not ideal.
It wasn't ideal that Scorpion needed luck vs everyone in MK9 but hey ho..

zaf

professor
Ask REO gishtezashqip7797 about what he's doing, theres no real thought or calculated actions in it, he'll probably be the first to admit that.
Oh I already know he will say that.

I agree with what you say about Scorpion, but thats really not fair. You're doing the same as Zaf here, you're dismissing someone's opinion based on something irrelevant to the argument.
what is it I am dismissing?
Do you mean when I am saying just level up?

I refuse to believe otherwise.
Ask Jer. I don't troll

BEENEEWEENEES

Thou shalt be slain!
I agree with what you say about Scorpion, but thats really not fair. You're doing the same as Zaf here, you're dismissing someone's opinion based on something irrelevant to the argument.
it wasn't irrelevant at all. the question is "Do we ban Scorpion from tournament play?" so unless you're active in the tournament scene, why should your opinion be relevant? :s just bein real

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
The best of the best "leveled up" in MK9.

Kabal was still dominating the top 8.
Other than REO, not really -- I think Scorpion may eventually pose a bigger issue. When you see REO playing kabal you said "wow.. that's kind of messed up, but REO is pretty amazing". When you see him playing Scorpion it was like "wow... that's all it takes?"

I'm not going to weigh on one side or the other yet -- but I agree with f0xy in terms of the Kabal comparison.

zaf

professor
That's bs... In that game you had a run button to get in quick and an insta-block with a button if you saw teleport. In Injustice, you have to hold down to avoid the teleport or be on the lookout for it the entire match where you can't ever throw anything out ever for fear of being punished for it.

EX Teleport is THE "get in for free" move if you have meter or, if your opponent does anything no meter.

I still say it's too early to ban him. Let Scorpion players prove the character is broken at EVO. If only Perfect Legend and/or gishtezashqip7797 (REO) make top 8 with him, then it's the player not the character.
Then make a fix patch for mb teleport to not make it a get in for free card. Don't ban him.

Of course I lost to it. But my point still stands that my losing or winning is irrelevant. Every one is losing to Scorpion. I leveled up mad hard playing him and I am not afraid to admit that I lost but I know why I lost and I will work on ways to level up myself.

Glass Sword

Nobody
We did not have the balls to do it in MK9. We should ban him until they fix if they fix him. The man who decides if the game is balanced at NRS has some crazy opinions and he may never fix the character. At EVO last year CD Jr. Used Kabal all the way to simply prove how broken the character was to try to get the attention of the creators. We all know how that turned out. Best to play it safe.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Then make a fix patch for mb teleport to not make it a get in for free card. Don't ban him.

Of course I lost to it. But my point still stands that my losing or winning is irrelevant. Every one is losing to Scorpion. I leveled up mad hard playing him and I am not afraid to admit that I lost but I know why I lost and I will work on ways to level up myself.
LBSH, you don't know why you lost to Scorpion, REO knows why he won with Scorpion.
When I play PL or REO, its literally a match of me sitting there, ducking, letting them both do whatever the fuck they want cause if I do anything else Im getting vortexed, wait for them to finally guess wrong on a 5050 or teleport and then punish. Rinse & Repeat, that is no way to play this game.

If Wonder Woman was a broken character that needed banning to save the game, I'd accept it, and then move on to some1 else. You wanting to keep Scorpion legal is just selfish to all of the people out there that wanna play characters like Hawkgirl, Flash, GL, Batman, Superman, Lex, Lobo, Bane.... Everybody.

It's only about banning Scorpion from tournaments anyway, so it's not like you can never play the character again, but you have to realise how damaging it is competitively, just stop being selfish. Cause personally, it doesn't matter to me if Scorpion is banned or not, I'll still fold up a vast majority of players whether they use him or not, I'm looking out for the players that have actually developed their characters to play INJUSTICE, not MK9 with Injustice block mechanics.

zaf

professor
LBSH, you don't know why you lost to Scorpion, REO knows why he won with Scorpion.
When I play PL or REO, its literally a match of me sitting there, ducking, letting them both do whatever the fuck they want cause if I do anything else Im getting vortexed, wait for them to finally guess wrong on a 5050 or teleport and then punish. Rinse & Repeat, that is no way to play this game.

If Wonder Woman was a broken character that needed banning to save the game, I'd accept it, and then move on to some1 else. You wanting to keep Scorpion legal is just selfish to all of the people out there that wanna play characters like Hawkgirl, Flash, GL, Batman, Superman, Lex, Lobo, Bane.... Everybody.

It's only about banning Scorpion from tournaments anyway, so it's not like you can never play the character again, but you have to realise how damaging it is competitively.
I don't see you living in my head. So Lbsh, I know why I lost to Scorpion. Sorry that I try to work with what's in the game and actually try to fight scorpion.....

..... Oh fuck, I forgot to say that I play scorpion. We play scorpion mirrors. So I have a character that can deal with scorpion.

As for other people who want to use other characters, I say too bad. Other games are just like this where characters don't see the light of day

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
You guys remember the most is "The Matrix?" The first one not the other two abominations after it? Remember how they said the one was able to defy all rules in the Matrix and do whatever he wants? Well...

Injustice=The Matrix
Scorpion=Neo
Everyone else=Agents and people within the Matrix

And comparing the OG MK games to Injustice is silly. The engine mechanics from those games are completely different to Injustice with the block button alone, come on now...

The question is will he have a negative effect on the life of this game? I admire the 'wait and see' attitude about patching as much as the next guy but eventually we will start achieving diminishing returns if we enforce that methodology too much.

Will he turn players off of the game? Will he turn off spectators of the game? Before somebody tries to point out that spectators do not matter, keep in mind that most participants in tournaments began as spectators either of Injustice or of some other fighting game at some point. Turning off spectators has a negative effect on YOU as a tournament player even if you do not realize it.

These are the questions we need to ask. Then we can make a decision on what the absolute best path forward will be for Injustice.

ryumanjisen

I only work in black,sometimes in very dark grey.
I'm not what you can call a pro player (mainly cause the scene here is non-existent and I'm forced to only play online), but I can handle myself against most of the best players you can find in the EU PSN, one of them maining a really good Scorpion. And, guess what, the last FT10 I had against that player ended in a 6-4 to my favor. In other words: I can handle a good scorpion player online, even if he's way more annoying when you have that input delay.

Do I think he should be banned? Without doubt, yes. As someone said here, he forces you to play another game, all the fundamentals of Injustice are throw out the window the instant you hear "Scorpion" on the character selection screen. I don't know if he takes skill to do all that insane stuff and, honestly, it doesn't matter at all. What matters is the fact that he is a broken character because he break the game rules. Plain and simple.

zaf

professor
You guys remember the most is "The Matrix?" The first one not the other two abominations after it? Remember how they said the one was able to defy all rules in the Matrix and do whatever he wants? Well...

Injustice=The Matrix
Scorpion=Neo
Everyone else=Agents and people within the Matrix

And comparing the OG MK games to Injustice is silly. The engine mechanics from those games are completely different to Injustice with the block button alone, come on now...
If you read what I wrote, my comparison was having to play a rock paper scissors-esque guessing game while on defense.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I have a quick fix that "may" make the teleport less broken... make it so he can't do an air teleport unless he is jumping forward.

redeyes

Button Masher
I dont see why people are so butt hurt over 1 person getting banned.
it happened in smash (meta knight)
its happened in ST (akuma)

it can happen in injustice with scorpion. hes breaks the game. a scorpion can play honest and not abuse his shit 100% and make the MU seem not so bad but when someone does abuse his shit 110% its a pain in the ass for 95% of the cast. so what if he gets banned. the 3 top scorp players are all proven FG players so im sure they can all go find a new main and still do amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.