What's new

TYM's Hot Topic of the Week: Do we ban Scorpion from tournament play?

Should Scorpion be banned from tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Scorpion having mediocre pokes and footsies was also far and away MK9's most important isssue. You're insane saying otherwise.
What does MK9 have to do with ANYTHIN. This is INJUSTICE. You're arguments have been reallllly weak. They've been: Well MK9 was messed up so all games should be. AND. Well he was bad n MK9 so he can be broken in this game. HORRBLE arguments. Idk why you want this game to die.. Sorry you didn't like MK9's balance?

ReZo

MKX
Yes I am a disgrace even though I pretty much spend all my time writing guides to help the community.

And yes, there are probably less than a thousand competing at tournies RIGHT NOW because like you said most do not have a scene or money to play them. Out of those million copies sold 99% of them were because the game has batman and superman, and get this: Is FUN for even the most casual of players. The competitive aspect of a community is a miniscule amount in any game because 99% of people game for fun and dont take it that serious.

I didn't say you were a disgrace. I said thinking so little of your community was disgraceful. Just watch turnouts at EVO and turnouts at CEO. I get your point now, your right, there are only a hand-full of people who get paid to fly to these tournaments and play them because they are sponsored. The other 99% of us have to work and can't afford it with other life issues popping up daily as usual.

REO

Undead
STRYKIE is one of the worst posters regarding his fanboyism 2 scorp.

according 2 him scorp deserved to be crap in mk9 cuz he was busted and top tier in mkdc.

see what i did ther?

Banjal

Noob
How many people on the list only play MK games?Cause to me it sounds like they don't know how to block without a block button.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
What does MK9 have to do with ANYTHIN. This is INJUSTICE. You're arguments have been reallllly weak. They've been: Well MK9 was messed up so all games should be. AND. Well he was bad n MK9 so he can be broken in this game. HORRBLE arguments. Idk why you want this game to die.. Sorry you didn't like MK9's balance?
I don't necessarily have any prerogative towards Injustice dying or not, I just find it funny that you place faith in NRS showing concern for the state of a metagame with a track record like theirs. If they didn't address basic staples of MK9, what makes you think they're going to tackle a mess like this? It's not that I don't want them to, it's just something I've conditioned myself to expect for over 10 years. If you're not interested in playing MK, that doesn't bother me. The problem is you seem to be genuinely shocked and appalled by Injustice's problems.
STRYKIE is one of the worst posters regarding his fanboyism 2 scorp.

according 2 him scorp deserved to be crap in mk9 cuz he was busted and top tier in mkdc.

see what i did ther?
Scorpion in the 3D MK games was nothing compared to Jose "REO" Gomez abusing the MKDC engine with The Flash's braindead infinites.

REO

Undead
Scorpion in the 3D MK games was nothing compared to Jose "REO" Gomez abusing the MKDC engine with The Flash's braindead infinites.

yea cuz scorpion being a top 5 char and shutting down a majority of the cast in mkdc with only losing mu being against flash while he was one of the few rare chars that did well against gl is proof he should of been ass in mk9.

ur logic knows no bound. did u even play mkdc competitively?

ROFLMFAO! How can anyone take this thread/situation seriously, when you're over reacting about Kabal winning so many tournaments from so many different players.

I don't recall top 8 in tons of tournaments being filled with Kabal. As many times as players defended MK and said, "look our top 8s always have a variety of characters". And the only person to consistently win tournaments with Kabal is REO (honorable Kabals are Kevo, LulzLou, MichaelAngelo, Soonk, and Warda when he played...but only Kevo has won a major with Kabal IIRC).

The only person to play Scorpion in Injustice "EFFECTIVELY" and be beat players to the point they complain...is REO.

MAYBE REO IS THAT GOOD AND BETTER OF A PLAYER. Consistency is important. As a Sheeva main, the ONLY Kabal I fear is REOs.

Maybe you should hold off banning a character until, there's some universal consistent tournament wins from Scorpion. Instead of assuming shit.

Detroitballn not worthy of mention .....no love for mlg champions.

ryumanjisen

I only work in black,sometimes in very dark grey.
Could you play Tekken against a Kazama player that had a F2 that would instantly hit you in the back and be +9 on block at any point from anywhere on the screen?

Well, since Tekken has neutral guard, I suppose it wouldn't be so bad as it is in Injustice..but it would be a pain in the ass anyway, specially because of that +9.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Well, since Tekken has neutral guard, I suppose it wouldn't be so bad as it is in Injustice..but it would be a pain in the ass anyway, specially because of that +9.
You can't neutral guard attacks hitting you in the back.

Temjiin has given the best suggestion to fix Scorpion I think, make his teleport the same, but make it like how Mileenas was in MK9, that way you can still hold back to block, and he can still use it to counter zone.

Maybe make it a little slower too.

yea cuz scorpion being a top 5 char and shutting down a majority of the cast in mkdc with only losing mu being against flash while he was one of the few rare chars that did well against gl is proof he should of been ass in mk9.

ur logic knows no bound. did u even play mkdc competitively?
I'm going to be real here, I thought putting scorpion in IGAU would cause a tornado of issues (which it looks like I was 100 percent). I would've liked NRS just to have waited till mk10 to make scorpion an animal, but they decided to put him here, which definitely isn't going well with the community haha. Overall, if this many ppl dnt like him and think he should be out/fixed, then so be it. I won't drop him if he gets changed, but i'm sure many will.

Solid

The Longbow Hunter.
I wrote a really long post but then decided to delete it and just post this: I havn't read the whole thread yet but to the people complaining that Scorpion shouldn't be compared to Kabal because he is not even the best in the game should go back and delete their post. Scorpion is being compared to Kabal because both are broken. Both abuse their game's engine and both make you play their game. They are the dictators, the supreme rulers of their game. Anybody defending either character has no soul or is just trolling. MK9 had more broken/top characters too. Each broken in their own special way and each having a bad/even match up only within their own broken circle. The rest of the cast where nothing but lambs heading out to the slaughter when fighting those characters. Scorpion should be banned until he is fixed or whatever. If not Injustice will slowly but surely die.

I've posted about this before, but I still believe it to be true.

Scorpion is only really a problem for two reasons, and the problems aren't him (though nerfing his face in might be the easiest answer).

The real issues as I see em,

1. Movement in IGAU sucks donkey dong. Every character in the game other than Scorpions feels sluggish and ill-responsive as far as general movement is concerned. This is mostly because of the dash system implementation. And even Scorpion only feels like he isn't sluggish because his teleport generally removes his need to ever use the shitty dash system.

2. Anti-air options in IGAU similarly perform fellatio on crossbred equines. When Scorpion is hoping about, jumping in at you, jumping over you, almost everyone seems limited to "just defending" this inherently gives Scorp the ability to control the pacing of the match.

I think everyone who is bitching about him being hard to block needs to man up and play some MVC3. If you find a move that takes some 23 frames to hit "hard to block" good luck blocking mix-ups in a game where you have mere frames to react due to the cross-up happening much closer to the impact frame of a secondary attack (from an assist, or the point character). Not to mention that the teleports in MVC actually allow for real mix-ups. Scorpions tele does not, will not, EVER mix you up. It ALWAYS hits you from the opposite side he starts from, and more importantly can be ducked NO MATTER WHAT. I understand that the meta is more complicated than that, the same can be said about any move, and a complex meta does not dictate in and of itself whether a thing is too good or not.

What would I change? Most importantly (and this isn't just about fixing Scorpion) give d2 a universal change by removing the top 1/3-1/2 of the characters hitbox during the move. Doing so would make it so a D2 generally (almost always) won over a jump-in attack.

The other thing I would consider changing is making it so you can block during a dash. You couldn't cancel the dash, but during the dash frames you could still chose to block an attack, doing this would let you approach him and or make space from him without being punished for dashing. (It would also drastically change how zoning works in the game, and maybe even make it so DS could be 'un-nerfed')

Neither are happening I expect, so unless Scorp gets some adjustments... he should probably be banned.

TL: DR - Scorpion isn't the real problem, the shitty movement and AA mechanics are. Since these mechanics probably aren't changing, Scorpion probably should.

Vogue

Noob
^ Yep I agree that anti-airs and movement should be changed across the board and would make the game way better, but lets be honest here, we would need to wait for Injustice 2 for that to happen, it would entirely change the game to a point where the game would have to be completely re-balanced.

Jebailey just posted on twitter he knows the character should be banned but wont ban until scorpion wins something. So everyone take your SCORPION week 1 or not to CEO.

Vogue

Noob
Yeah he won SEA majors but most of the world knows nothing about their scene and CEO is this week. He can't just ban 3 days before a tounament.

SUPARNOVAX

Low tier? I was born in it, molded by it
Ban Scorpion until after EVO2k13. A full permanent ban isn't necessary.

NRS isn't gonna leave balance the way it is, they will make small adjustments and that's just me being optimistic.

Flagg

Noob
Mortal Kombat has a lot of attacking moves that involve switching sides, such as Ermac, Scorpion, Smoke and Noobs teleport. If you had put either of them in this game, it would be the same shit storm. To be fair, even Skarlet, Mileena and KL teleport attacks would have been a headache in this.

In a game where a block button exists, fine, in a game hold back to block, MASSIVE FAIL.

A F0xy Grampa, you were right, having finally fought wave after wave of scrubby Scorpions last night, the character just doesnt work in this.

Someone like Raiden or Lui Kang would have worked, attack teleporters, no.

I think Scorpion should definitely be banned until he is retooled. Right now he plays by a different set of rules than the other characters. It's just math. He breaks the game's established system.

Ban him till fixed.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Scorpions tele does not, will not, EVER mix you up. It ALWAYS hits you from the opposite side he starts from, and more importantly can be ducked NO MATTER WHAT.
The mixup is between jumping attacks that hit overhead, and the teleport. Also between mb tele and tele, and tele/hellfire at midscreen. The jumping attacks come out in 5-8 frames. Ducking is what Scorpion wants you to do.

You could have decent AA, but if you're not sure if he's going to teleport, throwing it out means you will eat a combo. So I don't think that's the root of the problem.

Also, two well-known Marvel players are among those voicing concerns.

Flagg

Noob
I think Scorpion should definitely be banned until he is retooled. Right now he plays by a different set of rules than the other characters. It's just math. He breaks the game's established system.

Ban him till fixed.
How can he be fixed without damaging the mechanics of this game? Unless the teleport is made SUPER slow, I dont know what could be done? Removing the ability to do it in the air would be a start.

But seriously, how can Scorpion be fixed. There is no block button. God, his teleport in this game is practically Smoke speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.