What's new

Top 5 Traits in the game

Colonel-Gilgamesh

Hates NRS for making me not like Superman
Lets see....a good trait would either completely make a character, or make a character super better. Aquaman and Zod are givens for these reasons. Batman too for being just amazing and omni-useful. The others though, the question is is it better that they have it and it makes their game better, or they have it and it makes the character overall better. Like, Ares for example would be significantly worse without his trait(Low game would be ass), but Doomsday is already solid and his trait makes him even better.

Ok, here we go
Zod is top. Too many ways to use and abuse and we haven't even had him a week.
Batman is second for a similar reason
Aquaman is third because while his trait is awesome, many people can find ways to get him in the air early methinks.
Green Arrow. Chris G says hi.
Doomsday, who I think both abuses it and needs it.

About other choices
-Sinestro was my 6th. Really, the main killer was it's balancing charge time. It's good, but anything that makes me stand there vulnerable(even if cancelable) just rubs me the wrong way. And even though the benefits far outweigh the costs, compared to the above five, they don't really have any costs at all.
-Black Adam's trait is really damn good too, completely cheap at end game, but it feels less awesome than the above
-Grundy, Nightwing, Ares and Raven all tied for 8th, since they integrate their traits pretty much into the core of their gameplay, it seems like we're comparing an entire character to Batman's bats.

Also, if we weren't on patch 1.05, Killer Frost would be 5

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
npo

batman
aquaman
sinestro
black adam
superman

zods is up there aswell but he's so new so dont want to say him atm but his trait is just so beastly lol

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
Superman - It wrecks 3 character's traits FOR FREE...plus damage. Need I say more?

Aquaman - Being able to slip out of combos? You're joking right?

Raven - When active, makes opponents not want to move forward.

Sinestro - Sooo scary when he has his trait active.

Flash

Solomon Grundy - Grundy don't stop! Cements him as the grappler of the game.

Colonel-Gilgamesh

I have a question for people selecting Superman: Why?

I mean, I get that it eats armor and does damage, heck, even makes some of his combos possible. But there is almost no actual utility in the move. It's just damage and help in matchups Superman already wins(handedly).

Compare that to Aquaman's elusiveness, Batman getting in for almost free(constantly), or even the character completion it gives to Zod(and Ares, but Zod being more notable).

In nearly every fighting game, actually doing damage takes a back seat to utility and mixups. No point in having a 90% combo you can't land. So why does the damage Superman gives trump many of the other viable choices?

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I have a question for people selecting Superman: Why?

I mean, I get that it eats armor and does damage, heck, even makes some of his combos possible. But there is almost no actual utility in the move. It's just damage and help in matchups Superman already wins(handedly).

Compare that to Aquaman's elusiveness, Batman getting in for almost free(constantly), or even the character completion it gives to Zod(and Ares, but Zod being more notable).

In nearly every fighting game, actually doing damage takes a back seat to utility and mixups. No point in having a 90% combo you can't land. So why does the damage Superman gives trump many of the other viable choices?
It breaks armor, that literally shuts down characters. How is that not a top 5 trait?

Colonel-Gilgamesh

It breaks armor, that literally shuts down characters. How is that not a top 5 trait?
Which characters? Lex? Doomsday? Grundy? Grundy can barely do a thing about jumping lasers, Lex is already incapable of the short or long range game Superman is. Doomsday is the only character this would really become an issue with, since Doomsday can actually rush into Superman's face with advantage. That's a 1 in 28 chance the matchup would significantly impact the match.

But more importantly than that, the big question is, is armor breaking better than combo dropping(Aqua), Free Overhead Attempts and attacks(Zod), Excellent get in tools(Batman), Extreme Defense and combo potential(All of the above really, but I was going for Sinestro here), a free win at opponent being low life(Black Adam), or a free high/low mixup that leads to full combo from a jab with either high or low landing(Green Arrow). Compared to that, it just doesn't seem that useful

zaf

professor
WoundCowboy
Qwark28
FOREVER KING

How this turned into an "ermac is bad, there are no good ermacs, ermac never in top 8" discussion I am not sure.

However i do not want to see this discussion continue. It will derail this thread, more people will come in here and change the topic completely.
Nothing has truly happened yet with this, I just want to make sure this thread stays open and intended for what it was created for, TRAITS.
If you guys want to talk about how bad he is, then do it in a pm or make a thread about it. Have fun with it, i dont care.

Lets keep this discussion about what it was intended for.
Although like I said, nothing has happened yet, you damn well know how easily threads can be derailed and then it gets closed and we gain nothing.

thank you for your cooperation.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Black Adam
Aquaman
Bane
Batman
Zod

Doomsday, Superman and Raven's trait are extremely overrated, situational or can be dealt with easily.

Superman's gives him a damage buff that can be done mid kombo and Doomsdays depends on the match up. Raven's I feel is overrated, but haven't really played against her despite having used her for a time.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
WoundCowboy
Qwark28
FOREVER KING

How this turned into an "ermac is bad, there are no good ermacs, ermac never in top 8" discussion I am not sure.

However i do not want to see this discussion continue. It will derail this thread, more people will come in here and change the topic completely.
Nothing has truly happened yet with this, I just want to make sure this thread stays open and intended for what it was created for, TRAITS.
If you guys want to talk about how bad he is, then do it in a pm or make a thread about it. Have fun with it, i dont care.

Lets keep this discussion about what it was intended for.
Although like I said, nothing has happened yet, you damn well know how easily threads can be derailed and then it gets closed and we gain nothing.

thank you for your cooperation.
is this because youre canadian

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I think it sorta depends on the MU
Aquaman's trait sucks against 1 hit launch characters.
Hawkgirls literally turns the NW MU to impossible.

In any case.

Superman
Aquaman
Raven (gosh dang the meter she builds in this mode is stupid. It lets her do 2 bar combo's as bnbs)
Batman (turns him into the best character in the game hands down)
Sinestro (basically the same effect that Raven's has.... except scarier)

Colonel-Gilgamesh

WoundCowboy
Qwark28
FOREVER KING

Because someone stated an opinion, then someone stated their own opinion, and so on and so forth.

But probably because this is a thread ABOUT people's personal opinions(And ranking them. Everyone loves lists), people seek validation for their opinions, rather than doing something constructive, like, say, finding out why Superman's trait is viewed so highly. Dunno why that particular example comes to mind.

Here's another question for you guys: if it was still patch 1.04, would Killer Frost's trait still be up for consideration?

ZalliX

Noob
NPO

Superman - Trait is very strong, basically just makes him even more mindless. No longer needs to respect armor etc, Directly counters other character's traits. Lex -Doomsday. Also makes your opponent have to change up their strategies, while Superman just becomes more disrespectful.

Deathstroke - I believe this is heavily under utilized, This makes your bullets unblockable, making guns, if you do the appriopriate ones, free damage. Can close out a match easily or gain a life lead, Also could force opponents to engage on you, mind games etc. It does have a long start up, but projectile spam makes you respect DS and its definitely possible to get this ability off unpunished.

Sinestro - Mind games + combo extenders, makes everything he does safe. Very strong.

Batgirl

Batman - Combo Extenders/ Easier Get ins/ Crazy Cross up set ups. However, I have a feeling the trait is overrated. There has to be something exploitable about it...right?!

Aquaman - Can be really good, however I am a Raven player so if I don't nullify it completely, I just know what strings he can fall out of and dont let myself get punished.

Zod,Bane,Raven, Ares, - These characters are built around their traits, If they don't use their trait in a match they probably won't be able to win.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I'm really surprised only a couple people mentioned Lex. His is easily top 5 imo. 90% of the cast can't even try to touch him when it's up.

I have

Aquaman
Lex
Superman
Batman
Raven

Raven might be switched out for Zod. Idk yet.

I feel like 5 slots isn't enough. Lots of traits are amazing for certain chars in ways that aren't directly comparable, and thus it's hard to cutoff at that point.

Top Traits, npo
Batman
Grundy
Green Arrow
Superman
Zod
Raven
Aquaman
Scorpion (restand so good)
Doomsday
Sinestro
Bladam
Flash (lol convert almost anything to 60% combos)

Worst Traits, npo
Lobo
Joker?
Cyborg
Catwoman
Deathstroke
KF post nerf

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
I decided to give reasons cuz I'm bored:

1. Batman - The bread and butter of his rushdown, gets him in for free and is almost always ready. Can also be used for high-damage swag combos but lbsh it's so you can dash in from almost full screen

2. Aquaman - Can escape combos for free and reduce them to pressure. One of my favorite trait ideas in the game

3. Superman - Fast recharge, makes his damage stupid high especially in the corner, useful for closing out matches

4. Green Arrow - Ice arrow, b3, j3, 223~load ice arrow is a pretty good portion of what GA does. Can be linked from d1, or shot as a low or an overhead. Grants a full combo on hit and loading arrows can be safely linked at the end of combos. Other arrows are useful to close matches out, regular arrows can be useful to get first hit

5. Black Adam - Ridiculously fast startup, maybe MU specific, but can be linked in combos for a decent amount of extra damage, and makes his opponent have to eat damage to rush him down
Batmans trait only gives him 1 dash
Aquamans doesnt escape for free, you still have to block correctly (MU specific)
Supermans, again, MU specific with armour break
Green Arrows trait isnt the best, without ice arrows he'd be ass, but his trait isnt as threatening as someone like Raven

I'd say

- Batman
- Sinestro
- Wonder Woman shield stance (considering the vast amount of uses for it)
- Ethnic Adam
- Aquaman

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
Batmans trait only gives him 1 dash
Aquamans doesnt escape for free, you still have to block correctly (MU specific)
Supermans, again, MU specific with armour break
Green Arrows trait isnt the best, without ice arrows he'd be ass, but his trait isnt as threatening as someone like Raven
Really? Man, I thought it was better than that. I don't really play Bats.
Well yeah you have to block, but you can escape a combo and reduce it to pressure...so pretty much what I said. I guess whatever characters don't start combos from strings beat the trait.
I never even mentioned armor break. I think it's useful just to combo into for the ridiculous damage.
"His trait isn't good because without it he'd be ass"...yo logic. Of course he would, it's integral to his game. I know his trait acts more like a special than the other traits in the game, but it's still a trait and it still does a lot.

I don't play Raven and I haven't really played against many, so I can't really discuss her trait. That's my top 5, but maybe Raven's is better.