What's new

Tom's Incident Has Made it to Esports Mainstream News

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
You think SF will still be dominating people in NRS games 10-20 years from now vs new kids?
The greats tend to stick around. I would expect SF it be like Chris G or Wong or Diago or w/e. There are plenty of players that have been around for a decade and in their late 30s still commanding sponsorship, large twitch revenues and stuff.

I would think SF will be like them, I would bet he would still be placing well at Evos and stuff well into his mid 30s.... maybe not winning events, but placing and more importantly, like most people, transitioned into social media revenue.

There is WAY more money for the lucky few in twitch and youtube than most earn in pro gaming. I mean Max pulls in nearly 3.5 million a year

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
The greats tend to stick around. I would expect SF it be like Chris G or Wong or Diago or w/e. There are plenty of players that have been around for a decade and in their late 30s still commanding sponsorship, large twitch revenues and stuff.

I would think SF will be like them, I would bet he would still be placing well at Evos and stuff well into his mid 30s.... maybe not winning events, but placing and more importantly, like most people, transitioned into social media revenue.

There is WAY more money for the lucky few in twitch and youtube than most earn in pro gaming. I mean Max pulls in nearly 3.5 million a year
Yeah social media platforms are big now and key to success. I used to get paid for my channel but since yt changed all their policies yeah....not so much so I do it for fun. I mean not as much as max or anyone but those few hundred bucks extra a year helped at the time.

Wow max makes that much?:eek:

We'll see, time will tell. If he can good on him it's just life gets in the way sometimes but who knows. I wish I could snd would have with previous MKs especially but when you dont drive, have money struggles and are an only childs who's parents are older it's not easy unfortunately. Know what I mean? But not just mk, I have a few other games I played competitively as well like dr mario, mario baseball the good ones not the crappy one on the 3ds and burnout, split second. But unfortunately not every game has a scene or competitive outles on or offline.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Correct. He, among others, also dropped out of college at that time to pursue a "career" in playing fighting games competitively.

And people wonder why 30+ year old gamers like me stopped traveling and playing fighting games competitively. Albeit I am far from the golden standard, we stopped not because we are too old to react to throws and overheads. We are simply not foolish to work for $11 an hour. I personally make very good money doing what I like and I have three months of vacation, at which time I can enjoy playing fighting games competitively and casually.
No wonder he's begging for netflix passwords on twitter lmao.

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!

TYM open up your hearts, It's the holiday season.
Already at the beginning he lies again. I actually checked the comments on his videos over the last two days or so since he started to upload videos again, and the amount of people that mentioned the donations money was very small, and some people actually defended him. So "nobody cared" is a false statement. So even when he admits he didn't go there and apologizing in this video, he still manipulates the truth to fit his narrative.

Also if the whole story about why he didn't make it to the tourney despite being in New Jersey was true, why did he need to forge the Uber receipt? Why didn't he call anyone from the tourney to inform them that he had issues coming up and people needed to wait until he gave the Uber receipts including the forged one? Even if he intended to go there but had all of the problems due to being so irresponsible with the planning, was he that irresponsible to even call someone from the tourney (like maybe Pig of the Hut) to inform him about the issue and maybe coming up with the solution so he can make it to NEC? And then he says he forged the receipt because people were gonna call him out for not having the one for the way into the tourney but "he was at New Jersey still so it's not like he was lying". If he truly was there but was afraid that people wouldn't believe him, forging the receipt wasn't the solution, he should've just trust the people that they would believe him. I mean, he wasn't lying about being there, right? So why making an intentional lie on top of the supposed truth? Because he didn't lie?

Also regarding the Twitch channel with REO, Tom could've easily get 1000$ bucks as travel donations, it shouldn't have been hard to ask for that. The title of their channel was "MK Tom Brady Vs. MK REO", so everyone should know that the money should be high enough so that both of them would go, that was the whole point of their channel. Also according to REO, the money didn't come to them even after two months after MKX was released, and only after that time period they split the channel, and the channel did get a lot of views and subs and donations after MKX launched unlike what Tom says here that the channel wasn't big enough at that time, so they should've get at least one 45-day payout. And then Tom says that he came to settle this with REO as there was some money that REO deserved to get, but does he give any confirmation that REO got the money? Nope.

And yes I did notice that he apologized for treating all of his supporters wrongfully, which means I'm included in this apology, but considering that what happened between us was after he already claimed for 4 months straight that he became a better person in regards to not listening to the trolls and being affected by them only for him to backpedal on his word and proving already back then that he can't be trusted, and that I almost got caught in the crossfire just because I called him out for that, just like that now he got called out for unjustly taking money from others on more than one occasion and now he apologize for both that and the mistreatment to everyone, I still can't accept that apology, especially after a video like this that includes a lot of contradictions regarding the money incidents, both with REO and the NEC donations. And considering that he already backpedaled on his word in those incidents alone, I can only imagine how many times he did this already.

So in short, he didn't change. Again, excellent player, but a hell of a shady person. That's who he is, Tom Shady, FACTS.

Last edited:

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator

TYM open up your hearts, It's the holiday season.
What a load of BS. I thought he’d gotten the message, but clearly he hasn’t. Disappointing.

1) “I really wanted to go to NEC”... “I made no effort to arrange a ride”. These things don’t go together. You might get the benefit of the doubt for one major, but how do you explain taking money and not showing up to majors for two full years? You ‘really wanted to go’ and took people’s money, but “Oops!” every single time? Imagine expecting people to believe that there was not a single other person you could ride with to the venue on Friday evening, and not a single person with a car who could pick you up. And that after two years of taking money and not showing up, you really wanted to go to this one. You didn’t tweet “Hey I’m stuck in Philly, can anyone give me a ride to the venue?”, which is what someone would do who screwed up their ride but wants to compete. And What about ECT? No ride there either?

2) The Uber receipts.. I’m sorry. No one deletes a gmail email and then immediately goes and hard-deletes the trash folder as well unless they are intentionally trying to hide something. Deleted messages are kept in your trash for 30 days. Let’s calculate the possibility of keeping every other Uber receipt, accidentally deleting just the one, and then ‘accidentally’ hard-deleting your Gmail Trash bin right after? And even if you somehow managed to pull that off.. Uber is a phone app. Your Uber trip history lives on your phone forever. Just pull it up and screenshot it. Done. No, the reason the receipt is forged is to cover a lie. And you are continuing to lie about it. Ridiculous.

3) “I asked people if the wanted their money back”.. No. You should refund every dollar for every event you took money for and didn’t attend. Every last one. That is what being sorry looks like. Of course people don’t believe you’re truly contrite when you issue a one-day apology, keep a lot of the money, go right back to streaming with donations open and then claim “Why are people still upset? I said I was sorry”. Imagine the executives at Goldman Sachs just saying “Hey, we’re sorry for what we did” and then a week later “Hey, we said we were sorry, why is anyone still upset? I guess you don’t believe us”. Sometimes you just need to chill out and let things blow over. You’re already back making accusations. This is why people will not take this seriously.

Last edited:

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
What a load of BS. I thought he’d gotten the message, but clearly he hasn’t. Disappointing.

1) “I really wanted to go to NEC”... “I made no effort to arrange a ride”. These things don’t go together. You might get the benefit of the doubt for one major, but how do you explain taking money and not showing up to majors for two full years? You ‘really wanted to go’ and took people’s money, but “Oops!” every single time? Imagine expecting people to believe that there was not a single other person you could ride with to the venue on Friday evening, and not a single person with a car who could pick you up. And that after two years of taking money and not showing up, you really wanted to go to this one. You didn’t tweet “Hey I’m stuck in Philly, can anyone give me a ride to the venue?”, which is what someone would do who screwed up their ride but wants to compete. And What about ECT? No ride there either?

2) The Uber receipts.. I’m sorry. No one deletes a gmail email and then immediately goes and hard-deletes the trash folder as well unless they are intentionally trying to hide something. Deleted messages stay in your trash for 30 days. Let’s calculate the possibility of keeping every other Uber receipt, accidentally deleting just the one, and then ‘accidentally’ hard-deleting your Gmail Trash bin right after? And even if you somehow managed to pull that off, Uber is a phone app. Your Uber trip history lives on your phone forever. Just pull it up and screenshot it. Done. No, the reason the receipt is forged is to cover a lie. And you are continuing to lie about it. Ridiculous.

3) “I asked people if the wanted their money back”.. No. You should refund every dollar for every event you took money for and didn’t attend. Every last one. That is what being sorry looks like. Of course people don’t believe you’re truly contrite when you issue a one-day apology, keep a lot of the money, go right back to streaming with donations open and then claim “Why are people still upset? I said I was sorry”. Imagine the executives at Goldman Sachs just saying “Hey, we’re sorry for what we did” and then a week later “Hey, we said we were sorry, why is anyone still upset? I guess you don’t believe us”. Sometimes you just need to chill out and let things blow over. You’re already back making accusations. This is why people will not take this seriously.

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
Exactly, he can't make an apology video about what he did with donations money on more then one occasion, saying that he is sorry and he needs to earn the forgiveness and 2nd chance from the people, and still openly enable the donations while the video is still going, and what's worse is that people already donated him some money as you can see in the vid. That goes to show that not only Tom doesn't care about his fans, but his fans don't care about themselves either. That's how and why Tom manages to get out of those incidents with no real penalty, at least when it comes to his fans, because his fans keep supporting him blindly and naively and he takes advantage of that all the time. That's just sad, really really sad.

Last edited:

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
Sorry, I forgot a lot of the NRS scene live in their own FGC bubble.
No, I just haven't cared all that much about the tournament scene of any fighting game before, so I don't know a lot of these names. For example, I only learned about Tom Brady because of people chatting about his excessive tantrums just a few months ago.

So, I ask again... Who?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
No, I just haven't cared all that much about the tournament scene of any fighting game before, so I don't know a lot of these names. For example, I only learned about Tom Brady because of people chatting about his excessive tantrums just a few months ago.

So, I ask again... Who?
He was a top-ish Marvel 3 player who was shunned from the community after hitting a girl+her mate at an event and then more permanently after harassing a female at a later event:

https://www.polygon.com/2016/6/2/11847236/capcom-bans-noel-brown-from-capcom-pro-tour-street-fighter-5

Altaire

Noob
Wake up.

ALL THE STREAMERS ARE TAKING YOUR MONEY FOR FREE.

They are doing NOTHING of actual worth that they should get paid for but you STILL pay them.

Stop vilifying Tom he's not the first or the last one to rip people off and get money for playing a computer game instead of getting a job.
"Stop vilifying Tom for scamming people out of their money! All he did was ask for donations from his fans so he could afford to travel to a tournament, then pocketed the money and didn't actually go, which he's done multiple times now! He didn't do any more wrong than streamers that accept donations!"

This is genuinely the most surreal thing I've ever read on TYM, and boy, is that a hard list to top.

P.S. Since you seem a little confused on this one, I'll clarify for you: Accepting Twitch donations isn't legally considered fraud.