What's new

[Tier List] Pig of The Hut Official Living Tier List

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
You could perhaps write what the 50-50 is instead of vaguely saying she has one.
B1 or f22. Both lead to 30% meterless or around 40% with 1 bar. She can also b12 to break any attempt to armor(on a read obviously).

That coupled with the fact she has a 50% midscreen combo with a bar, 40% meterless midscreen, and 40-50% in the corner means she is for sure in the top 5.

aroulis

Noob
@aroulis I told you where I place lao
when you talk about tier lists you compare tools.
kung lao has to force the opponent into making a mistake or take a risk to go for big damage. otherwise he can only annoy his opponents with low pokes and grabs or low hat in buzzsaw variation. i dont say he is not solid he is fine but i personally think he is not top 10 when i look at the tools of other characters in the cast.
and ok maybe he won the tournaments but this doesnt mean anything about him being high tier. a solid character can beat S tiers.or at least thats my opinion anyway

So much Pig dickriding lol. I respect the guy's play ability but damn, anyone else not as known who posted this list would've been shitted on on these forums.
Explain? I'm genuinely interested in your perspective on the tier list. Any perspective that isn't blatantly ludicrous is welcome.

I know I'm going to get a lot of flack for this.
Number 1: I somewhat agree with several posters, "A variations tier list would be better"
Number 2: I disagree with a lot of "the rest" section, but I think everyone does and everyone is entitled to their opinion. BTW KJ is still top 5
Number 3: This is the one that will rattle some people. I think moving forward for a better, smarter, more competitive game and experience, the top 10 need to be nerfed instead of the rest getting buffed. I think this will make the game closer to the skill level and respectability of Street Fighter. I'm not saying it will get there, but much closer.[/b]

that "respectability" of SF4 has plenty of downsides of its own...why do you think the game is stalling out now? it's had a great run but still not as long as super turbo or marvel 2 (heck, it might only match CvS2). and i think a lot of that is because the game has achieved balance through constant nerfing and widespread mediocrity - meaning the characters just aren't fun to play for a lot of people.

a lot of us play competitive games because we want to do cool powerful shit that still takes thought to use correctly, and SF4 is completely lacking in the former. i highly doubt it would reach guilty gear numbers without the street fighter name & hype behind it.

but don't just take my word for it...since you're cheerleading the japanese so hard here, i'll let you in on a little secret: daigo doesn't even like SF4. his best friend nuki talked about this in an interview some years back, no bullshit. basically before SF4, daigo had backed off from FGs and gotten addicted to pachinko, then when SF4 came out he obviously gave it a shot. he straight up said "I'm almost embarrassed to play it" because of how easy & accessible it was compared to past SFs, and he specifically mentioned that he felt the characters were too weak & bland (and this was VANILLA, mind you!). so how did we get here, then?

at the start, it's simple: he got really into grinding battle points in the arcade! that basically replaced pachinko for him. then capcom noticed he was #1 ranked in japan, they flew him out to the gamestop tournament, and he got sponsored. daigo takes sponsorship more seriously than anyone in this scene - he's been on the record as saying that a sponsored player should *never* lose to a non-sponsored player. so he's continued on with SF4 out of a sense of professional obligation more than love of the game.

he's not the only well-known player with a story like this, either. i've hung around plenty of top players who bitch about SF4 when the cameras are off, and talk about playing certain games because "i have to"...the grass ain't always greener and all that. the game has tons of other problems i could discuss here, but i've already rambled on too much.

more general point: i think the people who still believe japanese games are more "hardcore" have missed changes in the entire industry. they're not much different from the rest anymore, and those who played capcom games before SF4 know this all too well. i'd compare it to people who think there's a big difference between "FGC" and "esports" events; that was extremely true before SF4, but within a couple years of the modern era i'd say MLG offered a very similar experience to your fighting-game majors at hotels with sponsor booths.

Also variations should be switched as used for different match ups. Currently some characters have completely worthless variations or 1 variation that is so much better than the rest, so it is pointless to use the others. It would be amazing to see people switching variations like SFIV ultras, depending on the mathc
i think this will naturally develop to some extent as the game evolves and the balance patches hit. there's a natural tendency to play the simplest or most MK9-like (see sonya) variations early on. there is one major concern for me though: characters where only one variation can run cancel specials. run cancel seems like a ridiculously huge advantage in this game since there are so few other safe hit confirms out there, but you can't nerf it too hard because good pressure with it is one of the most exciting things to watch. personally i'd like to see the cancel window slightly extended in general, but that would be enormous and i'm not sure the game could handle that.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
when you talk about tier lists you compare tools.
kung lao has to force the opponent into making a mistake or take a risk to go for big damage. otherwise he can only annoy his opponents with low pokes and grabs or low hat in buzzsaw variation. i dont say he is not solid he is fine but i personally think he is not top 10 when i look at the tools of other characters in the cast.
and ok maybe he won the tournaments but this doesnt mean anything about him being high tier. a solid character can beat S tiers.or at least thats my opinion anyway
you can open up a lot of people with throws and instead of a high low mixup game you have amazing control, meter building and mobility.

opening up someone doesnt have to be done via high low only, i wish i had an advancing move that i can make + any time i want.

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
Top 5: Raiden, Quan chi, Sonya, D'Vorah, Scorpion

6 Through 10: Jax, Cassie, Erron Black, Kung Jin, Sub Zero

The Rest: Ermac, Ferra Tor, Mileena, Kung Lao*, Shinnok, Jacquie, Reptile, Kano, Johnny Cage, Liu Kang*,
Goro*, Takeda, Kotal Khan, Kitana, Kenshi
I can agree with this list for the most part.

I think 6-10 is a little weird but other than that, it's fair.

Kung Lao may be better than Mileena tho and Kano is probably way higher in "The Rest" list.

if I made a list it'd be, in order:

Raiden
Quan
Sonya
D'Vorah
Scorpion
Kung Jin
Jax
Cassie
Erron
SZ
Ermac
Kano
Ferra/Torr
Reptile
Kung Lao
Mileena
Liu Kang
Johnny
Jacqui
Shinnok
Goro
Takeda
Kenshi
Kotal
Kitana

aroulis

Noob
you can open up a lot of people with throws and instead of a high low mixup game you have amazing control, meter building and mobility.

opening up someone doesnt have to be done via high low only, i wish i had an advancing move that i can make + any time i want.
ofc you can thats why he is solid and fine. still his tools cannot be compared to other players tools like raidens or erron black sonya etc who are top 10.

i never doubted kung lao for a second and would put money on foxy being right in the long run, barring some unforeseen big nerf

FGs are about matchups, and kung lao's base design is inherently almost impossible to beat 7-3. "great mobility + strong pressure OR mixup + some sort of good non-rushdown tool" is one of the most consistent winning formulas in these games. millia in guilty gear and iori in KOF are other examples of this, and those characters are basically never bad...much like KL (at least in the relevant MKs, can't speak for the 3D ones). being that well-rounded means nobody can completely shut you down, which is what you need for a 7-3 or worse matchup.

Noserfatu

My eyes! The goggles do nothing!
As a scrubby Sonya main, I think she will fall down the tier list, perhaps in a significant way.

She doesn't have great dmg, no vortex, and no armored launcher. I predict that people will drop her covert ops variation for another, stronger main, and special forces will be her most used variation as a strong option in specific match ups. She's stealing wins with B14 military stance at the moment. That won't happen in 6 months.

tatterbug4

Bug of tater's
Everyone needs to hop off man. it's a living tier list. Meaning that's what he thinks at the moment and it's open to changes.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
I can't believe how high Mileena is. I would have put her in the bottom 5. Her overhead is too slow at a high level to be useful at all, so she has no real mixups and is extremely unsafe.
Option selects make her 100% safe

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
As a scrubby Sonya main, I think she will fall down the tier list, perhaps in a significant way.

She doesn't have great dmg, no vortex, and no armored launcher. I predict that people will drop her covert ops variation for another, stronger main, and special forces will be her most used variation as a strong option in specific match ups. She's stealing wins with B14 military stance at the moment. That won't happen in 6 months.
Yes she does

MB throw is extremely dominating her because she needs no meter for combos

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Not only did he make a tier list, but he's a top player who is willing to discuss the reasoning behind his list.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Bad Cybernetic Kano. Definitely. But not any very good ones. I highly doubt Cybernetic Kano loses to any character who has average footsies and 50/50 mix ups.

Kano is high mid tier.

Jacqui is top 10.
You think that you outrange B2/DB2 mixed with smart zoning from liu?