What's new

Thoughts on MK9 and MK9 at MLG from Dieminion and Chris G

garik16

Mortal
Thought these two videos would be of interest - Chris G and Dieminion doing interviews with Jason of DMG about their thoughts on various FGC topics, including both Mortal Kombat as a whole and MK at MLG.

Dieminion:

Chris G:

Both guys make the statement that MK is dying - though Dieminion thinks it's a good thing MLG picked it up for the game's community getting bigger (Chris G doesn't think it'll help). Dieminion make the (ignorant in my view) common statement that MK9's community has been harmed greatly from the multiple patches.

Shady

Kombatant
This is probably the last year for MK9 at Evo, but you never know. It really does depend on the community in a lot of cases. From what I've observed, a lot of tournaments that we show up to as a group, they are always hype and exciting, and the people who love this game do so with a passion.

Hey, it might die out after this tournament season, but it accomplished something great in establishing a good tournament fighter foundation for the series and generating a fan base of dedicated individuals (who also happen to be great people). Given my experience at Winter Brawl from just hanging out with a lot of people I would gladly take a trip to Philly and NYC over and over even if this game wasn't tied to Evo.

What I'm saying is, MLG is a big step for MK, but in the end it's up to us to keep this game going. Up to us to keep showing up to tournaments and competing, showing that we're still there and we're behind our game all the way until MK10 so that we do not squander what MK9 accomplished community building wise.

Death

Warrior
I do think this will be the last year for MK9 at EVO. But i do think at E3 this upcoming june they will announce MK10 and MK10 will come out march-april 2013 and hopefully that game would be confirmed for evo 2013. But well see what happens. But i can see that playing out.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
MK had about 80 participants at WB, which is really solid at this point. Does anybody know how many players participated in AE and UMvC3?

As long as the community sticks together and players play the game, MK will not die, even with some of the negativity and hate out there. However, NRS has to make certain that the next game does not have glitches like the input bug, meter drain glitch, random block advantage, etc. if it is to be taken very seriously.

gdf

Kombatant
I hope at least a trailer for the film will coincide with the announcement for the next game at E3. Thanks to EVO, I think the game will hold out for just long enough, only if there is some good synergy between the companies and the community.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Lead Moderator
I do think this will be the last year for MK9 at EVO. But i do think at E3 this upcoming june they will announce MK10 and MK10 will come out march-april 2013 and hopefully that game would be confirmed for evo 2013. But well see what happens. But i can see that playing out.
I cant see MK10 being real until 2013, with a 2014 release. that is, like yours, a guess. Just dont see it happening that soon.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Dieminion make the (ignorant in my view) common statement that MK9's community has been harmed greatly from the multiple patches.
How is that ignorant? That's spot on if you ask me. NRS came out with waaay too many balance patches when they should have just been fixing glitches and infinites. People make fun of the many version of SF4, but at least when they come out with balance patches they actually change the name of the game and also it's not every other week or month like MK was doing.

And I don't think MK is dying. It's just not as popular as it was when it first came out. And the primary reason is exactly because of what Dieminion said. But it still does well at tournaments.

garik16

Mortal
How is that ignorant? That's spot on if you ask me. NRS came out with waaay too many balance patches when they should have just been fixing glitches and infinites. People make fun of the many version of SF4, but at least when they come out with balance patches they actually change the name of the game and also it's not every other week or month like MK was doing.

And I don't think MK is dying. It's just not as popular as it was when it first came out. And the primary reason is exactly because of what Dieminion said. But it still does well at tournaments.
I think it's ignorant because while it may have been a problem early in MK's cycle, the amount of patching post EVO has been negligible (one big patch). And yet the drop occurred after EVO; no sooner. It's a perception issue, not a real issue.

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
Stopped watching after the retarded buffoon doing the interview said MK only had 15 people watching top 8. Let's show him some pics of over 50 people in the MK room during pools. The reason why there was less during top 8... 80 people can't crowd around one god damn monitor. Get a projector you Capcom scrubs.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
I cant see MK10 being real until 2013, with a 2014 release. that is, like yours, a guess. Just dont see it happening that soon.
I can see it as a 2013 release. MK9 took 3 years because they were mostly starting from scratch, for MK10 they already have a ton of assets and gameplay systems in place, they only need to make 10-15 new characters, some new cutscenes, tweak the engine a bit, and some new single player fluff.

Releasing the game faster would be better for NRS, WB, and the community. WB gets more money, NRS gets to redeem itself in a way, and the community can grow once some of the bullshit in MK9 is fixed.

Also the movie is coming out in 2013, and it would be damn good promotion to have a game along with it, and WB agrees according to this article http://www.edge-online.com/news/new-mortal-kombat-movie-game-planned

MoFuzz

Noob
MK9 Grand Finals for Winter Brawl happened at what, 11 AM or some shit?

MVC and AE get evening prime time spots....and they wonder why MK doesn't have that many viewers? Are you fucking kidding me?!?!?!

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Outside of a select few areas, MK9 is dying in terms of LOCAL play. The numbers are as consistent as ever at majors, though, and there are still new players coming out to them. Hell, there was Hurricane Irene during Summer Jam, and we still managed a 60+ turnout. Patching has brought some harm to the game because they were so frequent, though, and that attributed to a lot of players leaving the game at the same time, so he is correct in that aspect.

MLG will help so much because there's more money involved and there will be exposure. Pots are huge ($550 at the very least for making top 8 is unheard of in MK9 tournaments otherwise). Because MLG is such a major event (only EVO actually rivals it in popularity), this will provide A LOT of exposure for a number of players. If it's a success, you'll be damn sure the game will pick up even more if MLG decides to keep it.

MoFuzz that's very true. MK9 starting so early was a huge factor, as well, as to why there was no hype.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
The community won't die, you guys held through with UMK3 forever and a bundle of terrible 3D games. MK9's a stepping stone but that's about it. It's nice that MLG's going to pay some players but I don't think it'll be a re-occurring theme but hopefully it'll motivate NRS to make a better MK! Oh well, game's fun, no need to take it super serial in the current installment. They goofed, hopefully they learned.

I will get a lot of shit for this, but I just wish Boon would go off with another part of NRS and just make Single player games MK or otherwise, and give full creative control to someone who cares more about FGs, paulo being a good choice, he seems to care a lot, doing the hotfix by himself in his spare time, and still watching all the streams, and keeping up with the community, even if its from the shadows.
No, you're right. Paulo actually gives a shit, Boon cares more about twitting about a scuff on his shoes than keeping up with this game. Would be nice if Paulo could just take the reigns.

THTB

Better to take it super serious, than to barely take it seriously at all.

MLG won't keep MK9 if we aren't doing what we can to help it (I feel like a hypocrite saying this XD).

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Stopped watching after the retarded buffoon doing the interview said MK only had 15 people watching top 8. Let's show him some pics of over 50 people in the MK room during pools. The reason why there was less during top 8... 80 people can't crowd around one god damn monitor. Get a projector you Capcom scrubs.
Yeah what the hell? I saw the Top 8 videos STORMS put on youtube and there's at least 40 people crowded in there or so it seemed. Definitely waaay more than 15, maybe he failed math in high school?

Well we have to be allowed to help it first. As far as I know, MLG hasn't talked to Phil, Tim, Shock, Storms or anyone that runs the MK events. I know Art has talked to someone but Art doesn't run the MK events. If MK9 has the same rules as it did in NC a few months back when REO won, MK9 won't survive in MLG.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
Also I do feel MK9 is dying, just a very slow death. The community is very enthusiastic about the game, and doing everything they can to promote it and keep it above anime games, however MK9 is past its peak, its all downhill from here. I can see it having at most 2 more good years, it is not a FG that will stand the test of time, as Static and Dr dogg said awhile ago, it is hopefully a stepping stone.

They need a new version out sooner then later, even just announcing MK10 is in the works, and showing off they fixed certain things would help the community and leave minds at peace for awhile longer.

I will get a lot of shit for this, but I just wish Boon would go off with another part of NRS and just make Single player games MK or otherwise, and give full creative control to someone who cares more about FGs, paulo being a good choice, he seems to care a lot, doing the hotfix by himself in his spare time, and still watching all the streams, and keeping up with the community, even if its from the shadows.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage

MLG won't keep MK9 if we aren't doing what we can to help it (I feel like a hypocrite saying this XD).
No, I agree, but we (and I'm certainly guilty of this) get in major conflicts about the programming faults in this game. I think we just need to forward things to Paulo and hope that they'll be resolved.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Lead Moderator
Just gonna quote this and not say a thing....

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
What we really need is a new generation UMK3. Yes I know some OG's and even NG's won't like this idea, but it would be amazing. Imagine UMK3's amazing gameplay, but with MK9's new gen flavor? Highs, mids, lows, meter, x-rays... with run and kara jabs! The characters would be the same as they are in UMK3, just more unique and like I said have highs and lows.

I don't know. I just think if they combined UMK3 and MK9 (correctly), they'd have an amazing game. Different topic though, lol.

THTB

No offense Juggs, but kara jabs are the last thing that needs to be brought back, unless you trust in NRS's ability to really balance them right (No offense to them either, but it was a fiasco making sure there weren't any block infinites...we STILL have one after all the patches).

Though I'm right there with you on the run.

I swear, trying to host MK casuals in Florida and people do not come kinda prove that the game is dying. I mean more than 10 people in my city plays this game competitively... not enough people to support the game