What's new

"This Princess Fights Her Own Battles." - Starfire General Discussion

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
She has no wake up, everything else is sick though, I think she's top tier potential.

Good pressure on everyone
Good footsies
Good damage
Good zoning
Good trait
Good meter building

Absolutely destroys characters like Cheetah imo
Foxy, what have you been using in footsie range? Obviously her d3 and b3 are amazing but they have their cons.

Espio

Kokomo
Starfire players should be abusing standing 3, this normal is good. It advances her forward and goes over sweeps, low pokes and other fast check buttons. On hit you can get a pretty solid 330 damage for a bar on Superman (maybe more, I didn't optimize the combo).

It's neutral on block so if they just respect it nothing of great value is lost to you and you're in range to poke with your 6 frame down 1.

That's your poke check/ whiff punisher and I don't see it used enough given how solid it seems to be overall.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Starfire players should be abusing standing 3, this normal is good. It advances her forward and goes over sweeps, low pokes and other fast check buttons. On hit you can get a pretty solid 330 damage for a bar on Superman (maybe more, I didn't optimize the combo).

It's neutral on block so if they just respect it nothing of great value is lost to you and you're in range to poke with your 6 frame down 1.

That's your poke check/ whiff punisher and I don't see it used enough given how solid it seems to be overall.
I think it's because F2 exists and is kind of in the same realm. 3 is damn good, but currently at this stage everyone is just focusing on whiff punishing with the even more forward advancing f22.

I love her standing 3. I've been using it since day one and usually bounce canceling off it for 500+ two bar damage on supes.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.

Agreed, it's giving me a Zatanna vibe with how good it is as a whiff punished.

On a side note, I've had several match-up where Black Canary did b12 and I went over it lmao

SM StarGazer

The voice of reason in a Sea of Salt
Don't sleep on Dr. Fate my fellow Starfire's. As someone who plays Fate(He's Number 3 on my characters I use list.), He will spam harder then you realize, mainly during any and all life leads. He's a great pick against Starfire imo. But you gonna know what your doing...so start labbing him before you get counterpicked...

Also...Batman can contest with Starfire..

And GAWDDAMN can be enjoy the fact that 23 breaks armor....and is hit confirmable!

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
Yeah Fate fullscreen fucks her up free. Against Deadshot at least stardust is a great way to cancel out his low rifles and makes trades in her favor.

Standing 3 is awesome, against Batman it totally kills his wakeups coz it goes over slide for a full combo and it beats parry iirc.

Also I wanna second whoever said ending combos with 23 dp trait is better than 113, way more consistent for me as i cant count how many times the 3 in the end whiffed costing me matches.

Also blockstrings into close stardust are getting me so much milage but it's mostly a gimmiky mixup as a lot of moves can blow it up for a shitty trade and some characters can just do moves that move them forward for a full combo and avoiding the stardust.

Lastly, max damage from 3 bounce cancel b3 that's not stupidly strict is db2 113 dp trait

This may be weird but how do you deal with sub zero. He literally ignores all my zoning besides mb trait and just slides under it and out of range of my normals. I can't zone in the mu at all.

bishbash

Magic as easy as 1 2 standing3
This may be weird but how do you deal with sub zero. He literally ignores all my zoning besides mb trait and just slides under it and out of range of my normals. I can't zone in the mu at all.

Standing 3 will take her hitbox above slide. Cheetah can do something similar with her low command grab but I've only ever been able to do it on read not reaction with cheetah, it's pretty sweet snagging out of his slide for 40+% tho

GreatDarkHero

Give into pleasu- Offensive pressure! Yeah.
It is also important to make sure you space Sub-Zero out so that you can get better result from your projectile game and punish the slide when the opportunity arises.

Standing 3 will take her hitbox above slide. Cheetah can do something similar with her low command grab but I've only ever been able to do it on read not reaction with cheetah, it's pretty sweet snagging out of his slide for 40+% tho
I tried that alot and his just slides right underneath of my and my standing 3. The thing is though sub players use the to close distance and starfire can't really do anything about it at all if they space it right. He can just by pass her zoning and be in.

bishbash

Magic as easy as 1 2 standing3
I tried that alot and his just slides right underneath of my and my standing 3. The thing is though sub players use the to close distance and starfire can't really do anything about it at all if they space it right. He can just by pass her zoning and be in.

Isn't slide pretty negative on block though? I'm not sure about the frame data but I think it was like minus 27(?)

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
Use her secret sweep and f3 more, close stardust and mid stardust are also good as they can stop the slide and even punish it if it hits you so its a trade at the least.
B2 is also nice as a bait for the slide as it recovers crazy quick.
Mb b3 is also good as its pretty quick and has great range, plus the armor covers you whether he did slide, clone or anything really.

In that range you basically have to play footsies to bait a mistake or take a risk and jump/dash in. Mb trait is also an option if you want to push him back a bit.

Last edited:
Yeah Fate fullscreen fucks her up free. Against Deadshot at least stardust is a great way to cancel out his low rifles and makes trades in her favor.

Standing 3 is awesome, against Batman it totally kills his wakeups coz it goes over slide for a full combo and it beats parry iirc.

Also I wanna second whoever said ending combos with 23 dp trait is better than 113, way more consistent for me as i cant count how many times the 3 in the end whiffed costing me matches.

Also blockstrings into close stardust are getting me so much milage but it's mostly a gimmiky mixup as a lot of moves can blow it up for a shitty trade and some characters can just do moves that move them forward for a full combo and avoiding the stardust.

Lastly, max damage from 3 bounce cancel b3 that's not stupidly strict is db2 113 dp trait
Try doing the Ji3 a little later in the jump arc, I can do it 10/10 times and I'm not the best at linking combos. (I can't do any of blue beetles BnBs :( )

Sulfur

Winning feels better when you take a little damage
I take everything back, Starfire is without a doubt the best character in the game, if she isn't, shes def top 3.

GreatDarkHero

Give into pleasu- Offensive pressure! Yeah.
Starfire in top 3 might be saying a little too much at this time.
Top ten? More than likely. But, even that is still jumping to conclusions, as much as I love this character.

And, whomever said that standing 3 works? It does. It really does. Better than I thought and it also helps with damage scaling quite a bit...

Meep8345

Noob
I'm honestly kind of trolling saying brokefire but she is insanely strong. Great normals,zoning,dmg,jump-in,pressure,etc. I mean she just has everything besides the wakeups but the way she can just dominate the neutral with her range and zoning its just very hard to deal with no matter who you pick against her and actually some characters can't really do much at all against her just checking you with her normals in the corner outside of risking a jump that could just kill you. She's very very strong.

jokey77

Character Loyalist

3 is crucial for her stagger game. I usually do b3 and on block I follow up with 3-db1b. even though she does lack mixups, her staggergame and frametraps are pretty decent.

Sulfur

Winning feels better when you take a little damage
Don't sleep on Dr. Fate my fellow Starfire's. As someone who plays Fate(He's Number 3 on my characters I use list.), He will spam harder then you realize, mainly during any and all life leads. He's a great pick against Starfire imo. But you gonna know what your doing...so start labbing him before you get counterpicked...

Also...Batman can contest with Starfire..

And GAWDDAMN can be enjoy the fact that 23 breaks armor....and is hit confirmable!
I don't have to learn the matchup because I secondary Supergirl lol.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
So deadshot's knee doesn't work? Most wake ups in this game are ass anyways so I don't see how a character with 3 decent wake ups doesn't get up.
I think it varies by the character, some like most games simply have better wake ups than others. Not sure I'd say they're all ass but they could be better. Personally, I don't know why they don't just make them like MK 9's wake ups. I hated MK X's and I2 are alright but not the best. As a DS player I've found his wake up knee works pretty well in most situations, but also as a GL player his only remotely decent one is the wall. For Starfire I prefer to use her flying charge and fire hair whip personally. Honestly, since she's clearly weaker up close I try not to put myself in that situation since her gift is clearly zoning and keep away.