What's new

This community and Match Ups

*** ADMINISTRATIVE NOTE: Hmmm, ok but if this thread turns to utter shit filled with troll images... consider it already locked.

Rant if you will, do not troll.*** ~ STORMS

The MU fad is back in town but its ridiculous on how ppl go about this..

Rather than play 999999999999999999999999999 matches, they choose to play 10-50 matches and thats the MU, END OF DISCUSSION!

There are god knows how many players who will play a mu as a FT10 or FT20, and if they win, no more games for you till next month. There are also players who have an "I beat you enough today" attitude.

MANY players abuse a lot of gimmicky things and absolutely refuse to GRIND stuff out. If they win, no more games for you. Ok.. so after 50 games you are winning, awesome... Will you still be winning after 500 games? If you are still winning, will you be winning by 20 games or 1? After 800 games will you still be winning?

If this community is REALLY as thirsty for knowledge as it claims to be, then a suggest a serious change in the way you guys do mu's..

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
It's because a majority of this community (and I feel more comfortable using the term "TYM users" here, rather than "community") hasn't really been playing fighting games on a competitive level for very long (or at all). They are not familiar with the lengthy process of fleshing out and dissecting a match up. I've only been seriously competing for about two years now, but I've been a fly on the wall of the competitive scene observing for over FIVE years. And the one thing that I've definitely learned during those years is that it takes MONTHS of games played and majors held before match up numbers are even begun to be BROUGHT UP.

Not only do you have to play a gazillion games of the same match to get a full fell of a match-up, you have to make sure that you've played those games against DIFFERENT players. You've got to get a feel for the match up from playing against multiple play styles for the same character.

Tom, you would make MU charts then some time later change the numbers. Everybody was all "I can't believe you changed them, I thought you knew what you were talking about."

I say the same thing that you said then; of course they change. They will always change throughout the life of the game because the game is constantly evolving. "These numbers are how I believe the MU is NOW." Fact of the matter is any half good person that bothers to open a MU thread should EDIT IT as MUs change.

The real problem, at least in my eyes, are the people who are opening threads (stickied threads even) and not updating them. Or making BnB threads and simply the OP saying "Post combos here" and now a player who wants to pick up this character has to sift through pages and pages to find ONE combo worth learning.

But back on point, MUs change. I was listening to an old podcast a few nights ago and the guys on there were talking about how wrong they had been about Cage in MK9. About how he was originally seen as bottom 10 but was discovered to only lose one maybe two bad MUs. And even in that podcast it was said that the the Cage vs. Kenshi MU was 5.5-4.5 (them decimals :rolleyes:) when now it's seen as 6-4 Kenshi at best for Cage.

Instead of freaking out because some new comer or someone less known is posting MUs, why not explore it? Some of these claims are absolutely absurd, sure, but not nearly all of them. Some piece of tech or a MU opinion that ends up being wrong or unviable could inspire something right and viable. I've seen it several times in just the GL forums.

Mistakes were made in MK9, mistakes will be made in IGAU. That's the point of learning the game and letting it evolve. Not one "selected" group of players are going to figure it out on their own. The point of the community is to share information and ideas and if everyone can't do that then what's the point of these new players even making an account here?

TheBoyBlunder

They love my Grayson
It's funny how upset people get if you disagree with their match up analysis, the type of person who acts like they have enough experience to make a final verdict.

*** ADMINISTRATIVE NOTE: Hmmm, ok but if this thread turns to utter shit filled with troll images... consider it already locked.

Rant if you will, do not troll.*** ~ STORMS

The MU fad is back in town but its ridiculous on how ppl go about this..

Rather than play 999999999999999999999999999 matches, they choose to play 10-50 matches and thats the MU, END OF DISCUSSION!

There are god knows how many players who will play a mu as a FT10 or FT20, and if they win, no more games for you till next month. There are also players who have an "I beat you enough today" attitude.

MANY players abuse a lot of gimmicky things and absolutely refuse to GRIND stuff out. If they win, no more games for you. Ok.. so after 50 games you are winning, awesome... Will you still be winning after 500 games? If you are still winning, will you be winning by 20 games or 1? After 800 games will you still be winning?

If this community is REALLY as thirsty for knowledge as it claims to be, then a suggest a serious change in the way you guys do mu's..

100% agree with this. even though AE has been out for years, matchups are still changing. Injustice is still evolving.

as a note... i would like to add that "i lost bc of that matchup... that matchup sucked" is an utter excuse. Only when you get the highest level of players do matchups really even matter. take forever kings batman and ricos black adam... watch them play 100 matches and see what the count is... so that is a definition of the matchup right? wrong... u also have to consider the skill level of the player.

Rampage254

Ayy Lmao
I played a FT100 and that shit took 6 hours. Although I did it for fun and not to get MU numbers, fuck doing that constantly against different characters just to get some numbers.

as a note... i would like to add that "i lost bc of that matchup... that matchup sucked" is an utter excuse. Only when you get the highest level of players do matchups really even matter.
Quoted for truth. And I'll add that part of playing the game competitively is analyzing the game and deciding which character gives you the best chance to win. If you're blaming your character, it's not the game's fault - YOU fucked up at the select screen.

StevoSuprem0

I'm gonna make this skill gap... disappear.
Speculating on MU numbers is one thing, but you have to be open to more informed opinions on those MUs then they come around. I think that's one thing this community, and the internet in general, lacks. Keep an open mind, take in all the information, and realize that everything is subject to change as more and more information presents itself. If you think you're right, debate the point with clear evidence. Best way to move things forward.

KRYS9984

Noob
Injustice has been out for just under 7 months and it is still too early to decide match-up numbers especially with the recent patch.

I'm not a fan of match-up numbers or tier list threads in the open forum because it creates endless discussions / debates on a game that is no even close to being fleshed out (I usually keep these topics to private conversations with friends and mostly done for fun).

Obviously, a characters tools will determine whether they have an advantage against another, however, even a great character can be useless in the wrong hands.

if X person can do wonders with Y character, they will become your "go to" person for match-up experience. You can then begin grinding out numerous sets for a better understanding as to how the match plays out and assess the outcome. You can then seek out other individuals playing the same character(s) at a similar level (with different tactics) and see if the results correlate.

Obviously, match-up numbers cannot be created based on casual / average skilled players (online) but rather individuals representing their characters in high level play...but it takes more than a year to get (close to) accurate results. Current numbers are just temporary.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
Please continue to preach the truth and gospel, Bill. I can't help but roll my eyes when I hear players say in regards to a certain MU, "well, uhhh, I played so and so offline at (insert major here) and destroyed them, so it's def. in (insert their main here) favor."

Also, some characters in the game that posses tech for days (Catwoman) are still no where near fleshed out. I have always found MU charts and MU numbers so odd...it's almost like an excuse barometer so if the player happens to lose against said character they can just recite someone's magical MU number, "awww well, ggs bro, but that is a 4-6 MU for my character..." and in their mind, this is why they lost.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
You could play Aquaman vs Arrow 10,000 times and nothing will change the fact that it's a shit match up for Arrow. It was at launch, at 3 months, is at 7 months, and will be in 2 years.

Match up numbers are always changing you used to say it yourself in MK Tom. it's just the way they are. Doesn't mean no one should ever make a chart.

Everyone has there own opinions on everything.

Here is the mentality I've seen on the site today.

Nobody should post anything about anything because only 3 or 4 players really know anything, everyone else in the whole community is stupid and there opinions don't matter.

Myswell shut down TYM and go to tournament, and just play and not even talk to eachother about matches.