What's new

They're after our Sonya

cheschifodisito

hit me up on psn: mr_diem
She can end both her overhead and low combo in the corner with a 0 frame re-stand with F4 1+3
and? she's gonna end up being close to her opponent, her poke is 7 frames, not the fastest..anything can happen, one touch, a throw or even an unexpected jump out and boom u lose the corner..

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
I feel you, but 400 dmg for a bar is ridiculous no matter what other options you have. Only thing I would change for her nerfing damage to 350 max for two bars. Why? Because she would still jave the rings to keep you out for the bars to refill. I wouldn't touch her rings at all. She has no range and without the rings she would be obliterated. So damage nerf, that is all.

cheschifodisito

hit me up on psn: mr_diem
Almost 400dmg meterless midscreen..... that has to be adjusted imo

And not having any really good mid doesn’t make her weak. Every character needs a weakness and that’s hers (and she is not alone on that front).

Her mixup is godlike, her projectile is godlike, she has a really good anti air that krushing blows for crazy damage, she has her ring KB that also does huge damage.
couple of things:
1- it's not that she doesn't have a good mid, she just doesn't have a mid when she's in at all..if she tries to b2,3u4 she can get flawlessed blocked like very time..even if they are so noob to not flawless block, they can just stop the combo with a poke because of the huge gaps there are in there...
2- she's risking to get punished every time she does that 50/50 you'r talking about unless u don't commit and finish the string which at that point will make the 50/50 uselss..
3- anti-air krushing blow? ok why don't u go in the lab and pick any character and set them to do an early jump in kick on you and see if that antiair is something u can hope to get in a real match...JUST keep in mind in a real high level match, anyone knows every time they try a jump in or a cross up they risk to eat an antiair, so if they really had to jump i would make sense for them to do an early jump kick to make it harder for the opponent to antiair them..makes sense? good, than u andurstood it's not viable....
4- 24% off a crushing blow is not a lot....

kcd117

Noob
and? she's gonna end up being close to her opponent, her poke is 7 frames, not the fastest..anything can happen, one touch, a throw or even an unexpected jump out and boom u lose the corner..
Anything can happen.

Anything for sonya can mean a poke into a 50/50 into 50%, an anti air read into 50%, a D1 anti crossup into huge dmg + reseting the corner postioning. I’d take that anything over 90% of the anythings in this game. If you think she has less options than the majority of the cast to keep the corner idk what to tell you.

She even has a special that lets you choose which side you wanna stay, so even when you get out of the corner you are literally one touch away of being put there again.

The downplay on this mkx character is reaching absurd levels.

kcd117

Noob
I feel you, but 400 dmg for a bar is ridiculous no matter what other options you have. Only thing I would change for her nerfing damage to 350 max for two bars. Why? Because she would still jave the rings to keep you out for the bars to refill. I wouldn't touch her rings at all. She has no range and without the rings she would be obliterated. So damage nerf, that is all.
Imo she also needs the b124 string to be dial in so she has to commit to the last hit if she wants to go for the overhead. Her projectile is extremely stupid, her poke should not go under mids and her jump in needs a touch as well.

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
Imo she also needs the b124 string to be dial in so she has to commit to the last hit if she wants to go for the overhead. Her projectile is extremely stupid, her poke should not go under mids and her jump in needs a touch as well.
I don't have aproblem with her except the damage. But I main Shao Kahn so I don't know.

Dedlock

Noob
I'd be all for toning down her damage if they bring back her military stance khartwheel over head launcher from mkx. That way her game can open up and she becomes less predictable with more creative combo options.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I'd be all for toning down her damage if they bring back her military stance khartwheel over head launcher from mkx. That way her game can open up and she becomes less predictable with more creative combo options.
Every character in the game is predictable to a fault

just how she goes.

Elias6999

Mournful Master
This bitch’s projectile needs a slight nerf (coming from someone who mains her). She outzones most off the cast due to her projectile’s speed and quick recovery, despite being a “rushdown” character. But that’s probably all she needs, maybe also a slight nerf to the cancel mixups and her damage.

But she does have a unique weakness, her footsies take a hit due to her stubby range and so-so mids and footsies.

At this point in the meta, I would say that the characters that are currently stronger than her are Geras, Erron, Scorpion, Sub Zero, andCassie probably.

This. I don't mind going head to head with her, but why does she get that damage too? It's fuckin ridiculous that so many characters have to work so hard for just 25% and she just kills you when she touches you.
No plenty of the top tier can do as much mid screen damage as her, she gets no more than 40 midscreen, scorpion, noob and sub zero can all get more

Holly Holmes muted her career.
Muted? Even though she just went into the UFC HOF, main evented wrestlemania and is still way more profitable than Holly?
The same Holly who lost her next four fights. I love went casuals try to talk about mma.
How many mma fights have you won sis?

Since the next patch might drop after the combo breaker and Sonya will eventually get nerfed, here's my thoughts about how to make Sonya less broken without killing her. I hope NRS won't have the same nerf strategy like they had in MKX (I didn't play I2 enough to know if the balancing was good). In MKX some of the top tiers were nerfed way too harshly. I'd prefer a strategy where the top tier characters are slightly nerfed patch after patch until they reach a certain form of balance, rather than huge nerfs on the first patch.

So here's how I would nerf Sonya if I was part of the balancing team, I tried to be as objective as possible since Sonya is my second main :
- Increasing of the damage scaling after the b123
Currently the highest damage midscreen meterless is 351 (b123 fdash 33 fdashxx134 bf2), it's too high. Increasing the damage scaling on the b123 should allow to decrease the damage of the same combo to 310~320. It should make her overall damage more fair

- Increasing the delay before the cancel of the energy rings (variation Ring Master) of two or three frames, preventing Sonya to combo with her launcher b123 after a successful ERC on hit in the corner (she would still be allowed to combo off a ERC with the 134). That would reduce the overall damage caused by cancel combos and make the cancel on block less safe (around -10 or -11 if I'm not mistaken).
It would make her cancel less unfair because she would deal less damage and her mixup would be punishible if the opponent guessed right.

- Increasing the start up of the bf2 from 12 to 17.

- Second projectile of bf2 is now high
Right now the projectile is way too good, especially for a rushdown character. It would make zoning a less viable option but could still be useful. Her projectile is still 3 frames faster than Kano's but she looses the ability to catch a neutral ducking opponent. I would have left the second projectile mid if there was no Krushing Blow on that move.

Voilà. I think Sonya would still be a solid character with those changes while being more fair to face.

Last edited:
^this, but i'd say make her rings i18 and with more recovery like Nobby's (lol). She is a rushdown queen, not a zoner and even then they would be great projectiles. But most ex projectiles are mid so hers could stay like that too. 300+ meterless is still beasty, same with Baraka

JDE

Pick up & kill it & kill it & kill it!
I'm not going to say much about it but I would change 2 things:

Either slow her rings down (which would honestly put gaps in between her strings to the point no one would fear her; I really don't prefer it. It's just one way that they could possibly do it), or give her rings longer recovery

and then tone down the damage.

I actually think she would be fine if her damage wasn't as high nor would it cause so much fuss, but I'm also on the fence on how she can outzone a dedicated zoner, which is why I think longer recovery would be justified. Still, the main focus should be damage if they look into her if anything. The whole point of her is to mix. Leave it at that. I really don't want them to overtly kill her. Not fair to Sonya players.

Last edited:
^this, but i'd say make her rings i18 and with more recovery like Nobby's (lol). She is a rushdown queen, not a zoner and even then they would be great projectiles. But most ex projectiles are mid so hers could stay like that too. 300+ meterless is still beasty, same with Baraka
Damage is supposed to be one of Sonya's strengths. Doing 310~320 on the most optimized meterless midscreen combo doesn't seem really broken to me as long as lose her strong zoning. I think making the second hit of the bf2 a high won't be too much because of the Krushing Blow.

No plenty of the top tier can do as much mid screen damage as her, she gets no more than 40 midscreen, scorpion, noob and sub zero can all get more
Sub only gets alot of dmg off of kb , scorpion is fucking busted for one why are you comparing him to other top tiers to make your point? and even he gets that damage with a buff and he doesnt get it off a mixup , noob has to literally play neuch to open you up to get that damage and he aint top tier either. So you wanna stop downplaying? She gets that damage off of staggerable mix. The only bad thing is its off a high but you have f4 , f3 and d3 to inforce respect.